Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

WampaLord posted:

That's the funny thing. He does have a personal phone, he's just being paranoid as gently caress for no reason.

"Oh no the company knows that I take my work phone home when I'm not at work."

LOL gently caress them, you can't say "Hey don't discuss this poo poo we post publicly."

he's reading the permissions to imply the company's mandated he wear a lojack and a bug that'll turn itself on without his knowledge, and yeah that's the most paranoid possible reading of those permissions but when in doubt on poo poo like that it's entirely reasonable to assume the worst until someone shows otherwise. it's not a normal thing or something a normal person with balls and a spine should just roll over and accept that their boss is peeping on them outside of work hours

the real core issue tho is if they're requiring him to be on call and carry around their leash out of office hours, they better loving be paying him for those hours imo

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I don't know if any kids want to be assured that their parents have a great sex life. Don't most kids think their parents having sex is really gross and don't want to know about it?

The kids in this situation will never accidentally walk in on their parents having sex.

I think it sounds like a pretty happy arrangement for everyone.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

he's reading the permissions to imply the company's mandated he wear a lojack and a bug that'll turn itself on without his knowledge, and yeah that's the most paranoid possible reading of those permissions but when in doubt on poo poo like that it's entirely reasonable to assume the worst until someone shows otherwise.

the real core issue tho is if they're requiring him to be on call and carry around their leash out of office hours, they better loving be paying him for those hours imo

you can be assured they aren't

"exempt"

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Nessa posted:

I don't know if any kids want to be assured that their parents have a great sex life. Don't most kids think their parents having sex is really gross and don't want to know about it?

The kids in this situation will never accidentally walk in on their parents having sex.

I think it sounds like a pretty happy arrangement for everyone.

You mean to tell me you aren't rawdoggin' mom every night? I thought you loved us!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

it's not a normal thing or something a normal person with balls and a spine should just roll over and accept that their boss is peeping on them outside of work hours

But there's no peeping being done. Put the phone in a drawer if you're crazy paranoid about it listening in on you or whatever, but they're not using it to bug his loving home.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm required to able to answer a phone at almost all times in my current job. They called me outside of office hours exactly twice last year. It's really not a big deal if the company isn't poo poo and doesn't bother you unless it's absolutely needed.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

How about you just don't get issued an electric leash so you don't have to worry about foiling it in order to live your life at all, how about that

How about you do the job you're paid for, and go home, and if there's an actual legit emergency they have your personal number

Why the gently caress would you pull a Mirthless over 'theres nothing to worry about if you've got nothing to hide'

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Why the gently caress would you pull a Mirthless over 'theres nothing to worry about if you've got nothing to hide'

There's two different issues here. One is that work is requiring him to be on call. I'm not in favor of that, work your 40 hours and go home. I would hate to have a work phone.

However, the other issue is that he thinks the phone is a goddamn spy device. What exactly do you think the company can gain from bugging a random low level employee? Do you think they're constantly recording audio on the phone to hear if he disparages work?

He's paranoid over nothing.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

[Personal issues] I [20F] can't trust my friends if they watch anime

quote:

Hi,
obvious throwaway.
I know I'll sound stupid, but I've experienced a lot of poo poo in my life. I won't go into details because people will recognize me, it it involves everything from physical abuse, rape to psychological abuse. Most of the times it have had a certain detail which has always been stuck in the back of my head, which has been anime. When I got beat up the guy next to me did nothing but watch anime. When I was raped at 14, the started saying how anime girls were so much prettier than I was and how I should kill myself because I'm such a pathetic loser who doesn't even look as pretty as them. When I was doxxed (personal information compiled and leaked) on 4chan the guys who did it talked in a chat publicly about what they did, and they both were huge anime fans. An ex-friend of mine also started watching anime, and after he did, he blocked me for no reason and started going on a public forum writing how insane lunatic I am for not liking anime. And the list goes on.
I know this have lead to a deep hatred of anime, and I every time it pops up near me, I know something bad will happen. I try to explain it to my only friends, and some of them understand it. Unfortunately, recently, my friend (19M) has started to watch anime and links it to his profile(s) all around and says he thinks I'm stupid for "restricting him" and "removing a part of him that's so important". He claims it's "absolutely normal" and says he refuses to discuss the matter with me when I try to, or just says "I don't understand" but no matter how I explain refuses to see my point of view.
Because of this reason, also because all the signs are the same when this has happened before, I have a hard time trusting him now. I don't want this.
I don't know really what to do since I consider him and one other person to be the only friends I have. I have no-one else. I've tried for years to get friends but I just can't. I even tried to watch anime, but most of it is just obnoxiously high-pitched 14 year olds flashing their panties and going around trying to get their brother to fall in love with them. I can't stand it, it reminds me of the bad things that happened to me. I don't know what I can even do anymore.
Side note: I live in the nordics. Anime is not common here. It's mostly viewed by people who are "oddities", eg. bullied or outsiders.
TL:DR: I can't trust my friends if they start watching anime. One of my only friend started watching anime, refuses to listen to me or understand me. All the signs are there they will do something bad to me. How can I trust them?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WampaLord posted:

There's two different issues here. One is that work is requiring him to be on call. I'm not in favor of that, work your 40 hours and go home. I would hate to have a work phone.

However, the other issue is that he thinks the phone is a goddamn spy device. What exactly do you think the company can gain from bugging a random low level employee? Do you think they're constantly recording audio on the phone to hear if he disparages work?

I had a friend work at a company that would send warnings if you said disparaging things, especially about any work related task duty or employee, oover the mandatory company chat feature. The second time you just got fired.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

^^^

every MDM platform has those permission requirements, citrix needs control over the microphone because apps within citrix may need access to the mic and aren't being installed natively. If you run a web conference thru an app in citrix, citrix needs access to the microphone

If his company really is spying on employees through location data that's concerning but we don't know what his company does and keeping track of devices (rather than people) and the data on those devices is sometimes really goddamn important. MDM is about keeping company data secure, if it's being used unethically it's not a problem with the phone or even the practice, it's a problem with his employer

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I think 1. It's not actually capable of being used for spying like that, but it's reasonable to check when in any doubt and doesn't, uh, make you uncool or whatever and 2. You'd have to be phenomenally stupid to assume anything short of total unreasonable malice from anyone who'd require you to carry around a device for them to spy on you with

Like, you're literally trotting out all the NSA's bluster about how it couldn't and wouldn't do what it was actually factually doing all the while, years after it became well-documented common knowledge that half the tech companies out there are doing exactly that kind of poo poo as a business model, to argue that it's wrong and unreasonable for this guy to, uh, try to understand a TOS for a device he doesn't want but his boss is pushing on him. What the gently caress is to be gained from arguing that this dude shouldn't be protective of his privacy, what the gently caress is your angle here

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 11, 2017

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

It's normal to be on-call in high level IT support roles where you are one of 5 people in the company who can be consulted on the domain controller imploding at 4AM or whatever. If you accurately value your own skills and are respected in your role, these support guys tend to be paid very well, so having to take an annoying call maybe twice in a given month, based on the rotation, for six figures is fine and generally expected. The problem comes when people take it up the rear end in some low-end help desk role where they're paid $35k and are expected to be on-call 24/7. Roles like that should 100% expect to work your 40 hours per week and never touch the job outside of work. The company is usually taking huge advantage of you in that scenario, unless they're (not) paying handsomely.

I agree dude is extremely paranoid. While I'm sure there's 1 in 100,000 shady rear end companies who are giving work phones out to record their employees or otherwise monitor them at all times and somehow dodging hilarious lawsuits, the minuscule chances this guy's company are abusing the phone app to spy on him at home are less than zero. Just stick the work phone in your car or whatever if you're that paranoid and cool it.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 11, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think 1. It's not actually capable of being used for spying like that, but it's reasonable to check when in any doubt and doesn't, uh, make you uncool or whatever and 2. You'd have to be phenomenally stupid to assume anything short of total unreasonable malice from anyone who'd require you to carry around a device for them to spy on you with

Like, you're literally trotting out all the NSA's bluster about how it couldn't and wouldn't do what it was actually factually doing all the while, years after it became well-documented common knowledge that half the tech companies out there are doing exactly that kind of poo poo as a business model

The difference is the NSA has the manpower to analyze all that data. You think his company's HR department is pouring over every single employee's device, listening to hours of audio to see if he says something bad when he's at home?

You're giving way too much credit to companies, they're mostly incompetent.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Guys who agree to work 60-hour weeks so they can make a ton of money are dickless losers but if you ever ask the internet questions when your boss tries to make you take some shady poo poo you don't want or understand home you are a FOOL

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

The difference is the NSA has the manpower to analyze all that data. You think his company's HR department is pouring over every single employee's device, listening to hours of audio to see if he says something bad when he's at home?

Exactly. Contending that companies are secretly spying on their employees is ridiculous if you've actually been around enough to understand just how little the imaginary cackling executive or HR manager understands. The organization I work for is barely allowed to record basic help desk calls for ordinary metrics and accountability, thanks to upper management bureaucracy. Do you really expect them to be using MDM on work iPhones to spy on their workers? It's a question of lack of competence, not intent, at like 98% of workplaces out there.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 11, 2017

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

I've seen this story before and the update is even better. I wanted to bold the highlights but it's so crazy I would have to bold the whole thing.

Fiance's a piece of poo poo, but I got all warm fuzzies reading about how her friends and family are taking care of her.

How did she become involved with the fiance when she has such healthy, supportive relationships aside from that one?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Guys who agree to work 60-hour weeks so they can make a ton of money are dickless losers but if you ever ask the internet questions when your boss tries to make you take some shady poo poo you don't want or understand home you are a FOOL

Guys who freak out over application permission requests and email IT to complain are dickless losers as well.

Complain to whoever is making you have the phone, don't bitch to IT.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bored posted:

Fiance's a piece of poo poo, but I got all warm fuzzies reading about how her friends and family are taking care of her.

How did she become involved with the fiance when she has such healthy, supportive relationships aside from that one?

I gotta assume it's like the people who refuse to believe bad parents even exist because their own are great, she has no experience with assholes and no idea what to look for re: warning signs

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

finally got caught up to 600 pages and: behead those who insult anime

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

finally got caught up to 600 pages and: behead those who insult anime

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Anime, not even once

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I am sorry, but on the matter of the telephone, I am in complete agreement with the OP. Whether or not the company is actually abusing those characteristics of the app, it is completely unacceptable to require a person to have that program installed and have the phone with them. If you were allowed to keep the phone at work, then I would say that was fine. However, just because your company probably isn't going to use 24/7 geolocating to track you, because they don't care that much, doesn't mean they should have the means to do so.

I think that people are way too blasé about their own security and their own privacy. This is one of the reasons why I use cash for many of my purchases. It is not because I am buying anything inappropriate, it is simply because I do not like the idea of companies tracking my purchases. At it's very most benign, that information is used to try to sell me other products and a targeted way. gently caress you, go away, I will decide what I buy for myself

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 11, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

btw I can't find it does anyone have that goddamn thriller novel of a post series about some kid whose sweet little old estranged grandma who mom never talks about reached out to her on facebook, and when she visited her the parents freaked out and sure enough a week later mom's whole cult family is stalking them and trying to abduct the kids

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pick posted:

I am sorry, but on the matter of the telephone, I am in complete agreement with the OP. Whether or not the company is actually abusing those characteristics of the app, it is completely unacceptable to require a person to have that program installed and have the phone with them. If you were allowed to keep the phone at work, then I would say that was fine. However, just because your company probably isn't going to use 24/7 geolocating to track you, because they don't care that much, doesn't mean they should have the means to do so.

I think that people are way too blasé about their own security and their own privacy. This is one of the reasons why I use cash for many of my purchases. It is not because I am buying anything inappropriate, it is simply because I do not like the idea of companies tracking my purchases. At it's very most benign, that information is used to try to sell me other products and a targeted way. gently caress you, go away, I will decide what I buy for myself

You have to keep in mind, some companies deal with data that needs to be kept at a very high level of confidentiality for a variety of reasons and those companies absolutely need to be able to control the devices that access that data.

I did a lot of MDM troubleshooting when I worked for Pfizer and you can imagine they have a lot of reasons in that industry to keep data secure. Nuking phones remotely requires a lot of permissions, so does locating them when they've gone missing. We have no idea who this guy works for (or what the extent of his job responsibilities are)

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 11, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tolkien minority posted:

this is normal, and then she has extra reasons. seems legit to me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mirthless posted:

You have to keep in mind, some companies deal with data that needs to be kept at a very high level of confidentiality for a variety of reasons and those companies absolutely need to be able to control the devices that access that data.

I did a lot of MDM troubleshooting when I worked for Pfizer and you can imagine they have a lot of reasons in that industry to keep data secure. Nuking phones remotely requires a lot of permissions, so does locating them when they've gone missing. We have no idea who this guy works for (or what the extent of his job responsibilities are)

Considering how frequently that data is either compromised by hackers or misused by company executives, gently caress em. They shouldn't be collecting it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mirthless posted:

I did a lot of MDM troubleshooting when I worked for Pfizer and you can imagine they have a lot of reasons in that industry to keep data secure. Nuking phones remotely requires a lot of permissions, so does locating them when they've gone missing. We have no idea who this guy works for.

A far more efficient kind of data security for these companies is to skip the Mission Impossible gadgetry, and not issue mobile devices loaded with sensitive data to the new guy who doesn't understand what's going on and tell him to just always carry it on him

Improbable Lobster posted:

Considering how frequently that data is either compromised by hackers or misused by company executives, gently caress em. They shouldn't be collecting it.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 11, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
In that case, I should be able to keep my loving phone at work. If they need me, they can assign me a pager and then I'll call them.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

In that case, I should be able to keep my loving phone at work. If they need me, they can assign me a pager and then I'll call them.

I agree that he's getting hosed over by his work requiring him to be able to be called at all hours unless he's being paid for that time, which I assume he's not.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Don't be paranoid, the device won't be used to spy on you, that's crazy conspiracy theorist talk. We just need to be able to access the webcam remotely so we can find the device if it gets stolen.

*takes secret photographs of underage children in their bedrooms*

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Tolkien minority posted:

Anime is poison and I hope this lady gets away from her lovely friends who embrace that crap as something of worth.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

she said he had a very small penis, something like 2 inches so he couldnt satisfy her.

Pick you lied to us you said it was okay

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Don't be paranoid, the device won't be used to spy on you, that's crazy conspiracy theorist talk. We just need to be able to access the webcam remotely so we can find the device if it gets stolen.

Don't be ridiculous, no company can match the tech-savvy of a public school

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also my friends that work with defense contractors on highly secret crypto projects just aren't allowed to have their phones (or anything else like a USB drive or whatever) with them while in the workplace. Just do that.

I wouldn't want my company having 24/7 phone lockdown privileges on me, either. Would probably end up having 2 separate phones for work + private which is dumb.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Are we arguing about the concept of spying in general or just this one dude's situation? Because my answer changes depending on that.

This dude has a phone. He can put it in a drawer if he thinks it's listening in on him, but I promise it isn't.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

This thread is a constant, pleasant reminder that a friendless, reclusive life is still a lot healthier than what a lot of people live.

Thanks, reddit!

E: so long as you don't watch anime and be a recluse together

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Also all it takes is one fuckhead in HR with a grudge and suddenly they are using their poo poo to harass individual employees. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen even aside from the OP's situation. It's just a bad idea. Obv HR doesn't have the manpower to monitor all employees at all times but it's not either that or nothing.

The NSA doesn't have the manpower to monitor all citizens at all hours either but they still pass good nudes around to each other. (https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/07/snowden-nsa-employees-routinely-pass-around-intercepted-nude-photos/)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also I don't care if they don't have the NSA's ability to sort through literally all my info and every second of recording; there's no guarantee that someday they won't. Confident my company won't be able and willing to try to blackmail me in ten years? People are absurdly careless with their rapidly-degrading privacy rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

The NSA doesn't have the manpower to monitor all citizens at all hours either but they still pass good nudes around to each other. (https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/07/snowden-nsa-employees-routinely-pass-around-intercepted-nude-photos/)

Well I would hope he would be smart enough to not take nudes using his work phone.

Pick posted:

Confident my company won't be able and willing to try to blackmail me in ten years?

Yes I am confident of that. Did you work for the mob?