Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Same. I don't notice how much I actually use it until I forget it.

I really hope the series 3 adds more health sensors. I want my watch to display how much health I have left like the one in RE7.:kiddo:
My watch would be flashing red, with Siri yelling STOP EATING PIZZA every hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

I had a ton of frustration with the heart rate monitor on my Apple Watch and it would routinely tell me like 60 bpm when I should have been 120-150. I started taking the watch off, dunking the back in water from a drinking fountain and then wetting my wrist before putting it back on and now it works great. It perfectly matches the sensor on the treadmill I use and has very few dips in accuracy. I also bought the electro gel to try a small drop when I workout in the cold. I knew sweat helped it, but really getting the thing wet made it work A LOT better.

How is Siri on the S2 vs S0? The video comparisons I've seen make it seem faster but not HOLY poo poo instant like I would hope. I'm planning on rocking the S0 until apps and Siri launch instantly, which I'm hoping the S3 will provide.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Siri (via "Hey Siri") launches pretty quickly on S2, but the slowest compared to iPhones, from what I remember as far back as iPhone 6. Around a second or less. Interpreting your speech is the same deal, but actually processing your request is a total gamble. For example, asking her to do something exclusively on the watch (e.g. "set a timer for 10 minutes") is just fine, but invoking your phone in any way could cause delays/failure. The last time I earnestly tried using Siri on the watch was trying to call someone while driving with my phone tucked away in a bag, and it failed after like 20 seconds.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

enojy posted:

Siri (via "Hey Siri") launches pretty quickly on S2, but the slowest compared to iPhones, from what I remember as far back as iPhone 6. Around a second or less. Interpreting your speech is the same deal, but actually processing your request is a total gamble. For example, asking her to do something exclusively on the watch (e.g. "set a timer for 10 minutes") is just fine, but invoking your phone in any way could cause delays/failure. The last time I earnestly tried using Siri on the watch was trying to call someone while driving with my phone tucked away in a bag, and it failed after like 20 seconds.

I use watch Siri pretty much exclusively for cooking timers and maths.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I reply to texts when driving on it and it works so much better than my 6S. I think voice text is its best feature. Ymmv I guess.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

For me it's changing music while driving, but yeah.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I must have a really funny accent since I rarely get the hey Siri thing to work

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Virtue posted:

I must have a really funny accent since I rarely get the hey Siri thing to work
I think there's a way in the settings to repeatedly yell hey siri and let it acclimate to your voice.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
My problem is I sometimes yell it into my watch and my phone will pick it up instead :argh:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

robodex posted:

My problem is I sometimes yell it into my watch and my phone will pick it up instead :argh:

Turn off "Hey Siri" on the phone. It's kinda redundant, for me at least, to have it enabled on both.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Turn off "Hey Siri" on the phone. It's kinda redundant, for me at least, to have it enabled on both.

Tbh I use it on both - I text a lot from my phone with Hey Siri since the fact that the watch delays it kind of annoys me

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Check Brickseek. Walmart is still clearing out official 42mm black nylon bands for $13 nationwide.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What's the SKU? I can barely read it.

EDIT: 50850642 for black. Might hit a store after work on my way home.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 27, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Check Brickseek. Walmart is still clearing out official 42mm black nylon bands for $13 nationwide.

Looks like Walmart.ca doesn't even sell bands, or I'm blind. Wanted to see if I could get that deal up here

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.
Just picked up one of the black nylon bands from Walmart for $13! Thank you!

The employees had no idea what I was talking about and there were no price tags anywhere to indicate it was on sale, but when they scanned it it rang up as $13.

Anyone know if any of the others are on sale besides the black? I didn't think to ask about any of the other colors because they already thought I was a lunatic and I didn't want to push my luck.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
There's a thread on Slickdeals. They haven't found any others on deep discount besides that 42mm black, but Brickseek pulls data directly from stock systems if you want to try pasting some SKUs.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Is anyone really into Apple Watch apps?

I would love to hear about what's good. Right now I mostly use my watch to control Airpods, along with Darksky for weather. Would love to make it more useful.

Besides that I primarily make people sad when I check my notifications and they think I don't want to be talking to them, but that's not really an app.

The only app on my radar is a Spotify watch app called Spotty that I have been waiting for but it keeps getting delayed so who knows when it will release at this rate.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I would loooove Darksky to finally support Canada :mad:

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Taima posted:

I would love to hear about what's good. Right now I mostly use my watch to control Airpods, along with Darksky for weather. Would love to make it more useful.

Besides that I primarily make people sad when I check my notifications and they think I don't want to be talking to them, but that's not really an app.

The only app on my radar is a Spotify watch app called Spotty that I have been waiting for but it keeps getting delayed so who knows when it will release at this rate.

if you're into biking, strava's watch app is great

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Taima posted:

I use the reminders app all the time while doing grocery shopping, it's really great. And I often use spark to glance at an e-mail or shoot off an instant-reply.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

dc3k posted:

if you're into biking, strava's watch app is great

I actually dislike how the newest Strava update changed things. I liked being able to see the stats of my ride on my watch right after ending it, now I have to wait for it to upload to the app. It's not the biggest deal but a little annoying for how I used it.

Still love it, though.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I'm sure the answer is no, since I've looked already, but are there any good sleep apps for the watch?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Anyone use Overcast watch app? It seems like I have to "get things started" on my phone and then the watch knows what Playlist I'm playing from? As in, I cant just cold open the watch app and go through my podcast library (even if phone is nearby etc).

chuck2020
Jan 14, 2007
Is anyone else running into battery issues with the original Apple Watch? I got one in Aug. 2015, and for the last two weeks the battery life has been crap. It used to last from 6:30 in the morning until around 10am the next day. Since Friday, it's barely been lasting from 6:30a to 9p. Today it died at 7 after coming off the dock at 11a. Is my battery dying or is this common? Should I just be buying a Series 2 and moving on?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's possible. Go through the normal troubleshooting steps.

-Reboot
-Hard reboot
-Wipe and setup as new.

Also are you running a beta OS?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

chuck2020 posted:

Is anyone else running into battery issues with the original Apple Watch? I got one in Aug. 2015, and for the last two weeks the battery life has been crap. It used to last from 6:30 in the morning until around 10am the next day. Since Friday, it's barely been lasting from 6:30a to 9p. Today it died at 7 after coming off the dock at 11a. Is my battery dying or is this common? Should I just be buying a Series 2 and moving on?

Happened to me two weeks ago. Solved with a reboot for some reason.

chuck2020
Jan 14, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's possible. Go through the normal troubleshooting steps.

-Reboot
-Hard reboot
-Wipe and setup as new.

Also are you running a beta OS?

I tried the first two, hoping that might fix it; nothing. And nah, I'm on the latest public release. It's just been the damnedest thing out of nowhere. I'll try the wipe and new set up tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

chuck2020 posted:

I tried the first two, hoping that might fix it; nothing. And nah, I'm on the latest public release. It's just been the damnedest thing out of nowhere. I'll try the wipe and new set up tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion!

Any apps recently update? Could be a buggy app.

chuck2020
Jan 14, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Any apps recently update? Could be a buggy app.

Not entirely sure how, but a bunch of background app refreshes had been turned on back: Camera, Google Maps, Hue, etc. I went through and turned them off and it seems to be working much longer now. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Anya posted:

I'm sure the answer is no, since I've looked already, but are there any good sleep apps for the watch?

The least pain-in-the-rear end one I've found is AutoSleep.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Grimmeh posted:

The least pain-in-the-rear end one I've found is AutoSleep.

Seconded. Since I upgraded to a Series Two that I only need to charge while I shower, I've been using AutoSleep for sleep-tracking and it's really onspot. Pared with their Heartrate app, you get a ton of data to look for patterns through.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Thanks for the heads up, I'll try that one out.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
When I had to get my iPhone screen replaced they wanted my PIN number so stupidly I turned it off instead of changing it to something else. After this, I lost all of my cards and other secrets in my phone. I had noticed after this time, my watch does not stay unlocked all the time after the first unlock like it used to. I'll probably get mine watch locked several times throughout the day. I already tried wiping the watch and repairing. Anything else I can do other than starting fresh on the watch?

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company
Been following this thread for a while and I'm torn as to whether to spring for a Series 2 right now, or wait until September for the possible Series 3. What do y'all think?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

HiredGun posted:

Been following this thread for a while and I'm torn as to whether to spring for a Series 2 right now, or wait until September for the possible Series 3. What do y'all think?

I'd get a cheapo series 0 or 1 and then get a 3.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
What is the 3?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

GoldfishStew posted:

What is the 3?

Goon fever dreams.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Does apple do battery replacements for out-of-warranty S0s? My ~1yr old watch definitely needs a new battery; it's slowly started draining faster and faster to the point where I've had a few days recently it hasn't lasted a full 12 hours. Deciding if it's worth it to pay for a battery replacement or if I should just spring for a new S1.

(Complicating it is the watch itself was an open box special at best buy, so it was probably used already by the time I got it)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

robodex posted:

Does apple do battery replacements for out-of-warranty S0s? My ~1yr old watch definitely needs a new battery; it's slowly started draining faster and faster to the point where I've had a few days recently it hasn't lasted a full 12 hours. Deciding if it's worth it to pay for a battery replacement or if I should just spring for a new S1.

(Complicating it is the watch itself was an open box special at best buy, so it was probably used already by the time I got it)

According to their pricing page, they'll do it for $79.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

robodex posted:

Have you tried the usual troubleshooting steps?

• Locked thread