Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Jesus...a lot of you have a horrible understanding of why companies use MDX software like this guy has on his WORK PROVIDED PHONE. Do you think they put that stuff on there because they just want to? They put it on there because their employees want the ability to be productive and conduct work business from a mobile device. Due to the nature of whatever it is they do, they need to secure the data and the device that they use so that the company and it's data are not compromised by external hacking, the device being lost, use of unsecured apps, or an employee deciding to go rogue and do things they shouldn't. MDX software basically controls what you can put on a device through restrictions set by an admin policy, it has to be installed at all times because it is the method the company uses to provide apps and services to the device, removing it will make the device unsecure and worthless as a work device. It needs full access because it CONTROLS WHAT THE PHONE CAN DO, without full access they can't enable apps that do need the mic (video conferencing and the like).

His phone is basically the same loving thing as having a work issued laptop that is managed by IT. The MDX software is just the only way for IT to do the same stuff because they don't have direct access to the OS like you can get in WIndows. Obviously it can be abused, anything can be abused, but the software is a direct response to people moving a lot of tasks they used to do on a computer to their phone/mobile device. If you think the norm is that companies are doing anything other than covering their asses (most often because they are legally required to) then you've watched too many movies about big brother.

If you don't want to be "on call" for your job, fine. But it's a normal thing in many fields/jobs and unless you're at a poo poo company, you are being compensated for the availability in your salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright I've changed my opinion to

work phone, so what?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I downloaded this app called Skype, it asked for mic permissions and I got scared so I smashed my iPad with a hammer just to be safe

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

e: bleh nm

I pay cash some of the time and use other methods other times and rotate them. I also often have my physical address be my PO Box if I don't think that institution needs to know where I drop my average deuce

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm glad the IT geniuses of this thread have established that this guy is both a laughable Luddite idiot totally unaware of the physical impossibility of ever abusing app permissions and involved in a high-paid, highly specialized, high security niche job involving firefighter hours and handling sensitive data that he doesn't know anything about. This seems probable, versus the unlikely scenario of two incredible retards who die on every idiot hill going into contortions to avoid ever admitting they're wrong

Mr. Goodbytes
Jan 30, 2006

Networks AND Ghosts?
The last Security/Telco place I worked for when I was still in IT abused the hell out of those GPS capabilities. One of the Executives would essentially randomly "spin the roulette wheel", pick an employee, and check their GPS data, leading to conversations like "You said on your time card that you were back on the road at 12:13, but the GPS puts you in a McDonalds at 12:15! That's company time!" As you can imagine, it went to court once or twice, and nothing ever happened because you essentially signed those rights away in the War and Peace sized IT-Use policy you accepted when you were employed.

Mr. Goodbytes fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 11, 2017

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The new company policy is that you can't have sex without giving Unwashed Dennis From IT the ability to listen in. Don't worry though, Dennis probably won't bother.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Ouhei posted:

Jesus...a lot of you have a horrible understanding of why companies use MDX software like this guy has on his WORK PROVIDED PHONE. Do you think they put that stuff on there because they just want to? They put it on there because their employees want the ability to be productive and conduct work business from a mobile device. Due to the nature of whatever it is they do, they need to secure the data and the device that they use so that the company and it's data are not compromised by external hacking, the device being lost, use of unsecured apps, or an employee deciding to go rogue and do things they shouldn't. MDX software basically controls what you can put on a device through restrictions set by an admin policy, it has to be installed at all times because it is the method the company uses to provide apps and services to the device, removing it will make the device unsecure and worthless as a work device. It needs full access because it CONTROLS WHAT THE PHONE CAN DO, without full access they can't enable apps that do need the mic (video conferencing and the like).

His phone is basically the same loving thing as having a work issued laptop that is managed by IT. The MDX software is just the only way for IT to do the same stuff because they don't have direct access to the OS like you can get in WIndows. Obviously it can be abused, anything can be abused, but the software is a direct response to people moving a lot of tasks they used to do on a computer to their phone/mobile device. If you think the norm is that companies are doing anything other than covering their asses (most often because they are legally required to) then you've watched too many movies about big brother.

If you don't want to be "on call" for your job, fine. But it's a normal thing in many fields/jobs and unless you're at a poo poo company, you are being compensated for the availability in your salary.

I hope this really goddamn stupidly braindead ignorant tangent about "privacy" (which it really isn't, because you shouldn't be afforded any degree of privacy on a device issued and managed by your employer, beyond obvious illegal extremes) ends after you all read this post on how MDM software legitimately functions.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

"privacy" (which really isn't, because you shouldn't be afforded any privacy on a device issued and managed by your employer, beyond obvious illegal extremes)

If I'm required to carry that device with me at all times, such as when I am in my home or when I am having sex, and it is capable of listening in on wherever I take it, then yes, actually, that does violate reasonable expectations of privacy.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

Pick posted:

this is normal, and then she has extra reasons. seems legit to me.

I have none of those issues and people watching alot of anime will cause me to reevaluate me being friends with them

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"IT guys just aren't that interested in your personal lives" he posted to the SomethingAwful thread about r/relationships

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

"I don't see the problem with the company installing security cameras in my private residence. They're COMPANY cameras that the COMPANY paid for and were installed in my home by the COMPANY, why would I expect any sort of privacy from them?"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If I'm required to carry that device with me at all times, such as when I am in my home or when I am having sex, and it is capable of listening in on wherever I take it, then yes, actually, that does violate reasonable expectations of privacy.

It can't do this part, okay?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

WampaLord posted:

It can't do this part, okay?

That's what Lower Merion School District said.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
All this tells me is that goons would go all in on company towns.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

"I don't see the problem with the company installing security cameras in my private residence. They're COMPANY cameras that the COMPANY paid for and were installed in my home by the COMPANY, why would I expect any sort of privacy from them?"

This never happens, despite your fantasies about the big brother corporate state violating your rights and spying on your family. Quit conflating what happens in the latest Bourne Identity or James Bond movie to real life. :rolleyes:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

This never happens, despite your fantasies about the big brother corporate state violating your rights and spying on your family. Quit conflating what happens in the latest Bourne Identity or James Bond movie to real life. :rolleyes:

I literally posted a case where it literally happened a page ago, so

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fuckin' goons believing everything they read on Tom Clancy's Wikipedia, am I right?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

I literally posted a case where it literally happened a page ago, so

I work for the state in a role where I know much of how the IT infrastructure functions and our MDM software cannot do that, and even if it somehow did which it cannot, say hello to a hilariously massive class-action lawsuit. Worry about real privacy implications that are happening each and every day out in the real world, not what the corporate devices provided to you by your company are doing and how they managed to minimize risk and violations for them as much as possible.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I work for the state in a role where I know much of how the IT infrastructure functions and our MDM software cannot do that, and even if it somehow did which it cannot, say hello to a hilariously massive class-action lawsuit. Worry about real privacy implications that are happening each and every day out in the real world, not on corporate devices provided to you by your company and managed by them to minimize risk for them as much as possible.

Corporations regularly abuse the rights of their employees because they're run by assholes

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CheesyDog posted:

"IT guys just aren't that interested in your personal lives" he posted to the SomethingAwful thread about r/relationships

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Improbable Lobster posted:

Corporations regularly abuse the rights of their employees because they're run by assholes

Don't work for those companies. Simple.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Don't work for those companies. Simple.

Most people don't really have much choice about their place of work. Finding a good job isn't exactly easy.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Because this is obviously the same situation as having a work managed cell phone.

I'm curious if the anti-work phone people are ok with IT managed laptops that you take home, because those are basically the same loving thing.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Ouhei posted:

Because this is obviously the same situation as having a work managed cell phone.

I'm curious if the anti-work phone people are ok with IT managed laptops that you take home, because those are basically the same loving thing.

If you're literally required to take it home and leave it on, then yeah I would have an issue with that

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just don't bring the phone home problem solved.

My brother-in-law worked on a class action suit involving Best Buy because they had some GeekSquad employees secretly installing cameras in teen girl's bathrooms on service calls. IT guys def care about your nudes don't let them tell you otherwise!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

If you're literally required to take it home and leave it on, then yeah I would have an issue with that

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
On the other hand if they turn me into Adam Jenson I'd let them check me out when I jerk it no problem. Aug me up.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
SHUT UP ABOUT YOUR PRIVATES!

quote:

My [26F] boyfriend [27M] things I'm completely invading his privacy. Am I wrong here? Infidelity
submitted 5 months ago by throw223away

This is a throwaway, although I'll probably show him the link eventually.

I caught my boyfriend sending provocative snapchats to another girl 3 weeks ago. Actually, the other girl told me because she felt bad. We're trying to work on things. They've been going pretty well, with some ups and downs, but we're managing.

I met my boyfriend on an online dating site. He also met this girl on an online dating site (years ago). So when I found out what happened and we decided to try to work things out... I re-downloaded the dating app with the sole purpose of logging in to check and make sure his account was deactivated. I logged in, and it was. Huge sigh of relief.

We've been making a lot of progress, talking about therapy options, etc.. but today he confronted me that he saw the dating app on my phone. I told him that I've been logging in periodically to make sure he didn't have an account any more, then immediately logging back out. It's given me a lot of comfort and helped me to rebuild trust. I don't log in everyday, and I certainly don't plan to keep doing it forever. I just like the reassurance that he's not on there.

I've done nothing else to invade his privacy. I haven't snooped in his phone, logged onto his computer, asked to see jack squat. I feel like I'm taking things pretty well, considering. But he's freaking out that it's a huge invasion of his privacy - that his girlfriend is on an online dating site while he's trying to rebuild trust, going behind his back, etc. etc.

I haven't apologized, because I genuinely don't understand what's so wrong about this. I've done a lot of reading about infidelity, and most people who are cheated on request a lot from their partners (passwords, hourly check-ins, etc). I've done none of that. I'm literally just on a public website making sure he doesn't have an account, for my own sanity. I'm not trying to be hurtful to him, but to help myself regain trust.

He's ready to end things over this. I genuinely just don't understand. Am I in the wrong here? I'm the one who was cheated on, lied to, and now I'm in trouble for "going behind his back."

Please, either help me to see this through his eyes, or help me figure out how I can explain it better through mine. We cannot seem to agree on this. He thinks it's a huge betrayal, and I do not.
tl;dr: Boyfriend cheated via snapchat with a girl he met online (years ago). I downloaded the dating app we/they met on to make sure he doesn't still have an account. He's inconsolably mad at me.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

This thread is starting to feel like an abusive relationship.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

Just don't bring the phone home problem solved.

My brother-in-law worked on a class action suit involving Best Buy because they had some GeekSquad employees secretly installing cameras in teen girl's bathrooms on service calls. IT guys def care about your nudes don't let them tell you otherwise!

He is required to bring the phone home because he is "on call" in case of emergencies, so he can't just leave it at work. It should be noted that he doesn't object to being on call at all in his post or comments.

If he's really concerned he should leave the phone in something (drawer, car, whatever) and check on it periodically to make sure he hasn't been called (he said it's extremely rare that he is contacted after hours). What several posters in here are trying to point out is that the MDX software is a necessity based on how people are using their mobile devices these days and it requires the access it does because they need to be able to get the apps and services to the device through their secured methods. If you're in certain industries (government, healthcare, etc) then there are literal laws around how you manage mobile devices and data that you have to be compliant with in order to operate, MDX software installed on mobile devices is part of what they literally are legally required to do in many cases.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

You're all gonna have egg on your face when Apple flat out tells you to buy the iPhone 8 or they'll release your texts to your family members.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'm glad the IT geniuses of this thread have established that this guy is both a laughable Luddite idiot totally unaware of the physical impossibility of ever abusing app permissions and involved in a high-paid, highly specialized, high security niche job involving firefighter hours and handling sensitive data that he doesn't know anything about. This seems probable, versus the unlikely scenario of two incredible retards who die on every idiot hill going into contortions to avoid ever admitting they're wrong

:ironicat:

But he should talk to IT. Does he just need to take it home to be reachable? Maybe they'd be ok with Google voice forwarding for that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ouhei posted:

He is required to bring the phone home because he is "on call" in case of emergencies, so he can't just leave it at work. It should be noted that he doesn't object to being on call at all in his post or comments.

I'ma keep pushing Faraday cage.

quote:

Does he just need to take it home to be reachable?

And yeah idk why something like that couldn't be used as just a "hey poo poo's happening get here please."

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

But he should talk to IT. Does he just need to take it home to be reachable? Maybe they'd be ok with Google voice forwarding for that.

Someone suggested that to him in the comments, depending on how strictly they regulate devices he might not be allowed to do that, but it's a decent workaround if he's that paranoid about it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fruit on the bottom posted:

Yeah forward the calls to your personal phone that they can't track, then keep the work phone powered down or at home in a drawer or something so you can check emails or whatever if someone calls you about and says "look at the email I sent you about the emergency problem" or whatever. Then you are reachable but don't have a tracking device on you. Easy peasy.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

The real problem is the old Android permission model (read: the one 90%+ of phones in the field will have)

On iPhones / newer Android you always have the option to switch off mic/camera/etc permission at will* and also on iOS if an app is listening to you in the background there is a big red banner warning you and the app developer cannot disable it.

*OK I don't actually know if MDM lets admins disable permission toggles but for the citrix use case they're not gonna disable it

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Guys

Anime... Is good

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bubblyblubber posted:

SHUT UP ABOUT YOUR PRIVATES!

Imagine if the bad boyfriends of Reddit brought this level of moxie to something more useful than humiliating anyone willing to touch their dicks, they'd be unstoppable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Don't date animes