Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Nope, that's the actual final dungeon, you don't get either story ending until you finish it.

Oh then I guess I'm further from the end than I expected :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Erata posted:

Steam Direct sounds like Steam Greenlight with a higher fee and a different name, but I might be missing something there.

Short explanation:
Greenlight = You pay one-time sign-up fee to be able to publish on Greenlight (I think) -> Your game goes on Greenlight -> People vote on if they're interested -> Enough interest means your game goes up on Steam.
Direct = You pay per-game fee -> Your game goes up on Steam.

Longer explanation:
Greenlight was basically having you pay a sign-up fee to list your game on Greenlight, then people go on Greenlight, look at your game or have it suggested to them by Steam or whatever, then vote on whether they're interested or not. Your game gets lots of positive votes => Your game goes on Steam. There were some problems though, in that games often ended up in some kind of purgatory where they had no idea if they'd go up on Steam or not even if there was a lot of interest, as what was deemed as the right amount of votes was kind of arbitrary. Some games were allowed to skip Greenlight and some weren't, and it was a bit random. There were other issues, like a game getting a bunch of 'Not interested' votes simply because it was being shown to people who would have no interest in the genre, rather than there being anything wrong with the game. On top of all that, there were so many games on there and so much crap that people stopped bothering to look at Greenlight entirely.

Valve's idea is to instead replace it with Steam Direct, where you skip the whole voting system and just pay a fee to have your game put up on the store, with the fee there to help stop joke submissions and such. They mentioned you can get the fee back, but nobody really knows how that'd work. Perhaps they keep the money and give you it back if your game sells over a certain amount, or if your game stays up for a while without being reported as some asset-ripping piece of crap, or if your reviews are mostly positive. They apparently asked a variety of devs what fee they'd recommend and got responses between $100 and $5000, but they haven't settled on anything yet. Certainly seems to get rid of most of the worst parts of Greenlight, but I don't know how I feel about the fee becoming per-game as opposed to on sign-up. It's certainly much less hassle either way, and I guess it largely depends on how the fee is refunded, if it is at all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know everyone was waiting to hear so I'm happy to report I did end up beating Shovel Knight. Thanks for the moral support in my time of need.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Yeah, the game seems like you're building up to the conclusion and you basically finish 99% of the plot and then suddenly YHWH off the top rope!

Lobok posted:

I know everyone was waiting to hear so I'm happy to report I did end up beating Shovel Knight. Thanks for the moral support in my time of need.

Now play Plague Knight.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

Yeah the Cosmic Egg isn't the end

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Edmond Dantes posted:

I got a PS1 just to play FF8...

gently caress me I'm old.

:negative:

I don't have to, it sounds like Square did it first.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the game seems like you're building up to the conclusion and you basically finish 99% of the plot and then suddenly YHWH off the top rope!

Now play Plague Knight.

I shouldn't be surprised, since that happens in approximately 100% of JRPGs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So apparently the famous Castlevania line goes, "A miserable little pile of secrets!" !!!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

So apparently the famous Castlevania line goes, "A miserable little pile of secrets!" !!!

your words are as empty as your soul!

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

smenj posted:

Short explanation:
Greenlight = You pay one-time sign-up fee to be able to publish on Greenlight (I think) -> Your game goes on Greenlight -> People vote on if they're interested -> Enough interest means your game goes up on Steam.

Longer explanation:
Greenlight was basically having you pay a sign-up fee to list your game on Greenlight, then people go on Greenlight, look at your game or have it suggested to them by Steam or whatever, then vote on whether they're interested or not. Your game gets lots of positive votes => Your game goes on Steam. There were some problems though, in that games often ended up in some kind of purgatory where they had no idea if they'd go up on Steam or not even if there was a lot of interest, as what was deemed as the right amount of votes was kind of arbitrary. Some games were allowed to skip Greenlight and some weren't, and it was a bit random. There were other issues, like a game getting a bunch of 'Not interested' votes simply because it was being shown to people who would have no interest in the genre, rather than there being anything wrong with the game. On top of all that, there were so many games on there and so much crap that people stopped bothering to look at Greenlight entirely.

Valve's idea is to instead replace it with Steam Direct, where you skip the whole voting system and just pay a fee to have your game put up on the store, with the fee there to help stop joke submissions and such. They mentioned you can get the fee back, but nobody really knows how that'd work. Perhaps they keep the money and give you it back if your game sells over a certain amount, or if your game stays up for a while without being reported as some asset-ripping piece of crap, or if your reviews are mostly positive. They apparently asked a variety of devs what fee they'd recommend and got responses between $100 and $5000, but they haven't settled on anything yet. Certainly seems to get rid of most of the worst parts of Greenlight, but I don't know how I feel about the fee becoming per-game as opposed to on sign-up. It's certainly much less hassle either way, and I guess it largely depends on how the fee is refunded, if it is at all.

Thanks for the more comprehensive explanation. I didn't realize that they skip the voting process with Direct. That's really weird to hear because it goes against the general idea of Steam trying to be more community-driven.

I totally agree that it'll slow down, at least, on the rate of shovelware.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

lets hang out posted:

your words are as empty as your soul!

Mankind ill needs a saviour such as you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My favorite line from SotN was "Ha--Ah...sarcasm. "For what profit is it to a man if he gains the world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26, I believe."

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Erata posted:

Thanks for the more comprehensive explanation. I didn't realize that they skip the voting process with Direct. That's really weird to hear because it goes against the general idea of Steam trying to be more community-driven.

I totally agree that it'll slow down, at least, on the rate of shovelware.

Well, I think they're still going for community-driven stuff, but it's going to be more aimed at the stuff you see and the stuff Steam recommends to you, as opposed to the community curating what gets on Steam and what doesn't. Like, someone after RTSs might not want to buy any VNs, but they shouldn't care whether VNs are on Steam or not so long as Steam doesn't keep telling the person to buy them. That's the biggest problem with Steam's discovery queue and such right now, I reckon. It's a nice idea, but it's not working as intended if I say 'Not Interested' on games in specific genres a million times and then still get advertised/recommended games in those genres. Still, even if I don't like those genres of games, it's not like I'd want Steam to be rid of them just because I don't want to buy them.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Greenlight would have worked better if people were voting but there was too much volume and energy for voting sputtered. If Valve doesn't want to hire people to curate and remains committed to getting that work done for free, placing some fee to publish (pref <= 250 USD) is not a lot to publish a game but also keeps out a fair amount of garbo so that it remains manageable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

Yes that's correct

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes that's correct

Tell that to this guy

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hmm maybe I should play Hearts of Iron.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

13% fascist already huh. That dog's got bite

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's messed up that you need to become a famous world leader to be a playable character in a video game

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

miis don't count

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Help Im Alive posted:

miis don't count
what about Game Face

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Help Im Alive posted:

It's messed up that you need to become a famous world leader to be a playable character in a video game

HOI4 mods are good.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

HOI4 mods are good.

Can't believe it doesn't say "Adolf Swiftler"!!!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Jay Rust posted:

How did you think it went? :confused:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Cute dogs versus cute blondes.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CrashCat posted:

what about Game Face

Absolutely not

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

How did you think it went? :confused:

Without the "little"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Help Im Alive posted:

Or just be really good at BMX.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

smenj posted:

Short explanation:

Longer explanation:

5k is like, the profit margin for a lot of indie devs starting out. It sounds like a pretty lovely system.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Look man, you can't expect the giant company to do any quality control rather than letting their users do it or just shutting down small indie developers. Please think of the welfare of corporations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Corporate Personhood isn't enough, we need Corporate Nationhood.

quote:

All AAA-rated and most AA-rated corporations also exhibit a privilege known as “extraterritoriality”, meaning that any land owned by the corp is sovereign territory only to the corp and immune to any laws of the country within. Corporate territory is not foreign soil but corporate soil, just like its employees are corporate citizens, though dual citizenship in a corporation and a nation is common.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 11, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If it wasn't for Valve's complete lack of any will to keep a tidal wave of lovely games that are sometimes literally unplayable out of their storefront we would not have the saga of Digital Homicide: the guys who filed an $18 million lawsuit against 100 Steam users over their negative reviews, and who pledged $1/month to YouTube Opinions Man Jim Sterling in order to prove that he does business in Arizona so they could file a $10 million suit against him in the Arizona court because he said mean things about their crap games.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

5k is like, the profit margin for a lot of indie devs starting out. It sounds like a pretty lovely system.

I really doubt it would be 5k since that would present too much of a barrier of entry to small devs. Greenlight needs to be replaced with something and this system with a small fee sounds reasonable.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Direct quote from Valve: "We talked to several developers and studios about an appropriate fee, and they gave us a range of responses from as low as $100 to as high as $5,000. There are pros and cons at either end of the spectrum, so we’d like to gather more feedback before settling on a number."

I agree that 5K is ridiculous, but I really doubt they'll go there for exactly the reason you stated. I don't know why so many people are certain the fee's going to be so large when all Valve have said is that they asked some devs and that was the price range they got. Hell, the Greenlight fee is meant to do the exact same thing as this (prevent joke submissions and stuff), and that's only $100, so I don't know why anyone thinks they're going to go from that to something 50 times more expensive. I'm not trying to defend Valve against people who think this is gonna be a crap system, I just think that lambasting it for being so expensive when nobody knows how much it's going to cost is a bit odd. Unless, of course, you think there should be no fee at all and Valve should just hire some people to filter the submissions, which would be fair enough, since they can certainly afford it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Lurdiak posted:

If it was good enough for the East India Company it's good enough for Mondelez International, imo.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

HOI4 mods are good.

white supremacists love love love taylor swift so this is more weird than funny to me. i bet there's a tila tequila one too

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Don't worry, we'll be there before too long.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I'm joining the nation of Cheetohs, corporate special forces Orange Claws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Post ITT if you want great benefits, wonderful scenery, and beautiful times in Aztlan! My Corp is looking to hire unattached fixers who want an easy milk run and some beautiful people to spend your nights with! Single, teamless fixers only please!

• Locked thread