Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TNG should have had Drs Pulaski and Selar instead of Crusher. Nobody cares about your irritating son or his dead dad, Beverly.

Crusher was a non-entity, but Pulaski was a terrible character because she was basically written to be a new McCoy. Let's not make more out of her than was actually there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
So you're saying McMoy but female is a bad idea for TNG?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Crusher was a non-entity, but Pulaski was a terrible character because she was basically written to be a new McCoy. Let's not make more out of her than was actually there.

Mediocre Remake of a Great Character > Mediocre Non-Entity Boring Cliche "Mom" Character

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Pulaski is good and so are Lwaxana Troi and Captain Jellico.

Vic Fontaine episodes are good to have on in the background while doing dishes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

If you read between the lines in The Fifty Year Mission, it's pretty clear that McFadden was absolutely miserable by the seventh season and only did the movies for a paycheck (I think she flat-out refused to talk about Insurrection because she had nothing to do).

My general feeling from the show is that Crusher and Troi started as the flattest and most disinteresting characters, which contributed to the writers almost never developing them.

Gwen DeMarco serves as an indictment of almost all female characters in Star Trek.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CPColin posted:

Pulaski is good and so are Lwaxana Troi and Captain Jellico.

Vic Fontaine episodes are good to have on in the background while doing dishes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
At least Beverly got a few good episodes. Okay, one good episode, Remember Me. Troi, on the other hand, uh. She got Face of the Enemy I guess, which was an okay episode, but I wouldn't consider it one of the best episodes of TNG, like I would Remember Me. And DS9 did the concept better with Second Skin.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I'm trying to remember what Beverly actually did in the movies.

Generations: got tossed in an ocean
First Contact: thunder immediately stolen by a Voyager cameo
Insurrection: something about boobs firming up
Nemesis: a couple lines about clones and radiation

Troi didn't exactly have a full dance card either but at least she got to crash the ship a couple times.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

And she got to be drunk with Riker in First Contact. It's not much, but it's better than nothing.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Captain Jellico was a Trek hero because he made Troi wear a real uniform for gently caress's sake.

Pulaski was great - the first time you see her Picard's about to yell at her and she straight up interrupts him and changes the subject. Nobody every interrupts anyone else on the Ent D so she is sassy and good.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

dont even fink about it posted:

My general feeling from the show is that Crusher and Troi started as the flattest and most disinteresting characters, which contributed to the writers almost never developing them.

Gwen DeMarco serves as an indictment of almost all female characters in Star Trek.

It's funny, if TNG was made now all that drama set up between Beverly and Jean-Luc re: Jack Crusher's death and secret forbidden desires would make her like the #2 or 3 character on the show.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Remember Doctor M'Benga? He was in a couple TOS episodes. In the Shatnerverse his granddaughter is a doctor too, and everyone calls her Bones.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The best doctor episode in Star Trek was when they had Bashir and the EMH and the Doctor on playing somebody else all at once.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Phimosissy posted:

Mediocre Remake of a Great Character > Mediocre Non-Entity Boring Cliche "Mom" Character

poo poo is still poo poo.

Delsaber posted:

I'm trying to remember what Beverly actually did in the movies.

Generations: got tossed in an ocean
First Contact: thunder immediately stolen by a Voyager cameo
Nemesis: a couple lines about clones and radiation

Troi didn't exactly have a full dance card either but at least she got to crash the ship a couple times.

Troi also got to be in charge of Mission Control for the launch of the Phoenix. About the only thing McFadden got to do was to say, "Jean-Luc!" when he called Worf a coward in First Contact.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Star Trek: Have you noticed how your role has gotten smaller?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Star Trek: Have you noticed how your role has gotten smaller?

lol

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

FuturePastNow posted:

Someone earlier in this thread, i think, called Patrick Stewart an English redneck.

He likes fast cars, hot women, and fight scenes. When he and Spiner got more creative control over their characters, we got Insurrection and Nemesis.

I mean he's from the English North, which is like the American South. Everyone has a weird accent and no class.

e: but they are much nicer

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Mods pls do the needful

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Delsaber posted:

I had forgotten about this and now I want to forget it again.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I like Pulaski, I don't see how she's supposed to be a TNG version of Bones at all aside from her being kind of no-nonsense and it's a weird hang up to have about the character.

It's like saying "well data is just the Spock of tng" which he kind of is but he also is just data, a different character.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

dont even fink about it posted:

I had forgotten about this and now I want to forget it again.

"Humor! I love it!"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Remember Doctor M'Benga? He was in a couple TOS episodes. In the Shatnerverse his granddaughter is a doctor too, and everyone calls her Bones.

M'Benga owns, if only for that scene where he slaps the poo poo out of Spock.

Given how often Spock gets his rear end kicked they should probably have put M'Benga in more episodes.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Finished DS9 today. What a show!

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Oh poo poo you're right

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Subyng posted:

I like Pulaski, I don't see how she's supposed to be a TNG version of Bones at all aside from her being kind of no-nonsense and it's a weird hang up to have about the character.

✔ Hates transporters
✔ Is racist

for the record I like Pulaski, but she's totally a McCoy clone

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I just got up to the part in Enterprise where the gang has saved Earth from the Xindi. You'd better believe that I started fist pumping, hooting and hollering when my boy Shran showed up to save the day.

Most upsetting moment of the show so far:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pwnstar posted:

I just got up to the part in Enterprise where the gang has saved Earth from the Xindi. You'd better believe that I started fist pumping, hooting and hollering when my boy Shran showed up to save the day.

Most upsetting moment of the show so far:

A Ferengi with an allergy to root beer?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My rankings:

1. Bones
2. The Doctor
3. Bashir
4. Crusher
5. Pulaski
6. Phlox

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alright yeah.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Bones wins any argument because the dude had a knife to his throat and calmly told the guy how to kill him quicker.

Why he's called Bones instead of Balls is beyond me.

(I have to admit, though, that something the hosts of Greatest Generation said in their first episode has stuck with me - Old Bones feels vaguely on the bad side of Old Man Racist.)

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Do it.

Do it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gonz posted:

Do it.

Do it.

You monster

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

WampaLord posted:

You monster

Imagine being killed by somebody in an online game and then THAT avatar pops up and stares the victim down.

Complete humiliation.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gonz posted:

Imagine being killed by somebody in an online game and then THAT avatar pops up and stares the victim down.

Complete humiliation.

Imagine having Neelix's face greet you every time you start up your PS4.

:barf:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
:barf: :barf: :barf:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Oh no.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Welp.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm confused. Are the Klingons hiding behind those fish dudes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Man, how many times can the same race get hit by severely disfiguring genetic plagues, huh?