Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Petition to give Wales more vowels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
it's a day ending in 'y' so there's another wonderful poll

https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/830476525380239361

quote:

:confused: "Llwchwr" has two vowels, though :confused:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fangz posted:

The irony is that if she is still alive they'd probably loving hate her.

She was in a relationship with a muslim. Imagine if she'd gotten married to Dodi Al-Fayed. That'd have gone down well with the definitely not xenophobic British papers.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Jeza posted:

I think you'll find they voted against the eu so they'll just have to make do with what vowels they have left

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

She was in a relationship with a muslim. Imagine if she'd gotten married to Dodi Al-Fayed. That'd have gone down well with the definitely not xenophobic British papers.

Also she'd be twenty years older and let's face it half of the reason for all the adulation is she died comparatively young and pretty. 56 year old Diana, married to a Muslim, probably fairly openspokenly liberal (she held hands with an AIDS patient in 1987, look at what rightwing press coverage of AIDS looked like back then), probably pro-Remain - they'd be doing their best to destroy her.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Piers Morgan's death will bring me a lot of happiness
                                      /
                                    /

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

it's a day ending in 'y' so there's another wonderful poll

https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/830476525380239361

It's worth considering that these changes are from June last year. It demonstrates pretty well that while Labour have done badly in the last 8 months, UKIP has done much worse and the Tories seem to have taken the majority of their poll boost from them.

Whichever way you slice it owning Brexit and basically becoming UKIP has worked out very nicely for them.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fridge corn posted:

Nice disaster tourism

It was cracking, toss up between that and seeing ground zero in 2002 for my personal fave

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/FrankConniff/status/830481544645050369?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Who the gently caress goes "gently caress the tories, I'm voting x" and then goes back to voting tory afterwards?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Gort posted:

Who the gently caress goes "gently caress the tories, I'm voting x" and then goes back to voting tory afterwards?

the average voter

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Gort posted:

Who the gently caress goes "gently caress the tories, I'm voting x" and then votes tory anyway?

Fixed

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

jabby posted:

It's worth considering that these changes are from June last year. It demonstrates pretty well that while Labour have done badly in the last 8 months, UKIP has done much worse and the Tories seem to have taken the majority of their poll boost from them.

Whichever way you slice it owning Brexit and basically becoming UKIP has worked out very nicely for them.

It's also worth asking ourselves why it is that the narrative is that UKIP (as always) are about to have a SURPRISE VICTORY (at Labour's expense of course) in the upcoming by-elections (c.f. Oldham in 2015) despite not making any progress in the polls, and why the Lib Dems are the REAL OPPOSITION despite still being 12 points below their 2010 performance, but Labour who are 3-4% down are IN CATASTROPHIC MELTDOWN!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Because "Politics continues more or less as usual" isn't going to sell papers.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Is there a large-scale response for the retraction of the dubs amendment?

I mean they just sentenced a bunch of children to death because they can't be arsed.

it'd be totally appropriate to declare damnatio memoriae on the last ten years of british history at this point

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmegin posted:

Also she'd be twenty years older and let's face it half of the reason for all the adulation is she died comparatively young and pretty. 56 year old Diana, married to a Muslim, probably fairly openspokenly liberal (she held hands with an AIDS patient in 1987, look at what rightwing press coverage of AIDS looked like back then), probably pro-Remain - they'd be doing their best to destroy her.

It weirds me out a bit knowing that Claudia Christian from Babylon 5 had a small but fairly important role in the death of Diana.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Almost half of Labour's voters do not want the party to try and block Brexit, a new poll for The Independent has found.

Though two-thirds of Labour supporters voted to Remain, the new ComRes study found that this does not necessarily translate into wanting to stop Article 50 being triggered.

48 per cent of the party’s voters now say the Opposition shouldn’t try and overturn the referendum result.

The finding is likely to take some pressure off Jeremy Corbyn, who has come in for criticism from some supporters for whipping his MPs not to block Article 50.

Mr Corbyn suffered several frontbench resignations over the Article 50 vote, which took place at the end of an all-hours debate about Brexit which ran late into the night for several days last week.

The most high-profile resignation was Clive Lewis, the shadow business secretary.

Multiple whips also voted Remain, though frontbenchers outside the shadow cabinet have been let off with a written warning and will not be forced to resign.

The public at large also broadly agree with Labour’s stance of not standing in the way of leaving the EU – with 64 per cent saying the party should not try to obstruct the process.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-voters-brexit-poll-support-article-50-a7575406.html

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/830486372410675202?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Jedit posted:

It weirds me out a bit knowing that Claudia Christian from Babylon 5 had a small but fairly important role in the death of Diana.

hang on, what?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

JFairfax posted:

Almost half of Labour's voters do not want the party to try and block Brexit, a new poll for The Independent has found.

Though two-thirds of Labour supporters voted to Remain, the new ComRes study found that this does not necessarily translate into wanting to stop Article 50 being triggered.

48 per cent of the party’s voters now say the Opposition shouldn’t try and overturn the referendum result.

The finding is likely to take some pressure off Jeremy Corbyn, who has come in for criticism from some supporters for whipping his MPs not to block Article 50.

Mr Corbyn suffered several frontbench resignations over the Article 50 vote, which took place at the end of an all-hours debate about Brexit which ran late into the night for several days last week.

The most high-profile resignation was Clive Lewis, the shadow business secretary.

Multiple whips also voted Remain, though frontbenchers outside the shadow cabinet have been let off with a written warning and will not be forced to resign.

The public at large also broadly agree with Labour’s stance of not standing in the way of leaving the EU – with 64 per cent saying the party should not try to obstruct the process.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-voters-brexit-poll-support-article-50-a7575406.html

I think it's quite endearing that even when jeremy uses a three line whip he clearly can't be arsed to enforce it

still wonder if it worked as a stunt, still think it was dumb

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

He pretty much gave that impression before the vote anyway, it seemed more about having a strong official stance than actually forcing every MP to vote for it

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The mail had yet another pro Corbyn puff piece today, making it three weekends in a row. I'm pretty sure this is a bad sign.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

HJB posted:

I was looking for some content for my thread in NMD (warning: plug), and spotted this motion - http://www.parliament.uk/edm/1997-98/565 . Some familiar names there.

I've even found something related to the Di chat:

Skinty McEdger posted:

The mail had yet another pro Corbyn puff piece today, making it three weekends in a row. I'm pretty sure this is a bad sign.

Wait, what?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

HJB posted:

Wait, what?

He's a "Champion of Democracy" and for the good of the country he must continue to be Labour leader for being the only one in the party with any integrity.

I seriously am weirded out by this.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

"Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander. Daughter of Andre and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry rear end all the way back to England, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you will ever see. God sent me." - Cmdr. Susan Ivanova speaking to Diana, Princess of Wales, c. 12:20 am, August 31, 1997.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I think I've fallen asleep and it's April Fools Day already

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/830535973725466624

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Skinty McEdger posted:

He's a "Champion of Democracy" and for the good of the country he must continue to be Labour leader for being the only one in the party with any integrity.

I seriously am weirded out by this.

I can't imagine why the Mail would want a pro Brexit Labour leader completely unable to stand up to the Tories.

Just can't imagine.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I think I've fallen asleep and it's April Fools Day already

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/830535973725466624

I'm sure this won't be like the last X times he tried this obvious deflecting tactic and he'll definitely hand over the money he promised to real charities, in full and right away without having to be shamed into it by journalists months after the fact.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

ok well the three line whip quite clearly worked

corbyn... good?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I can't imagine why the Mail would want a pro Brexit Labour leader completely unable to stand up to the Tories.

Just can't imagine.

his page today is nothing but various people challenging the dubs retraction

please don't confuse "doesn't challenge" with "I'm too stupid to read anything not in the papers", which you are doing now

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 11, 2017

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jedit posted:

Forget all the politics poo poo for the moment, this needs an answer.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

namesake posted:

Forget all the politics poo poo for the moment, this needs an answer.

they had an on again off again relationship. if Christian hadn't walked out on Al Fayad when they'd been living together a year before the crash, then he presumably wouldn't have been out with Di that night

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Spangly A posted:

I think it's quite endearing that even when jeremy uses a three line whip he clearly can't be arsed to enforce it

still wonder if it worked as a stunt, still think it was dumb

Isn't the convention for members of the shadow cabinet to be booted out for breaking the whip, which has happened? He's only letting people who were outside the shadow cabinet off with the written warning, because they weren't part of the decision making process and therefore not bound by collective responsibility.

It sounds logical to me, but I don't know whether this is something normal (i.e. only shadow cabinet members usually get the boot) being spun as a Corbyn weakness, or whether everyone with a position on the opposition benches usually gets booted for breaking the whip, regardless of whether they're in the shadow cabinet or not.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Prince John posted:

Isn't the convention for members of the shadow cabinet to be booted out for breaking the whip, which has happened? He's only letting people who were outside the shadow cabinet off with the written warning, because they weren't part of the decision making process and therefore not bound by collective responsibility.

It sounds logical to me, but I don't know whether this is something normal (i.e. only shadow cabinet members usually get the boot) being spun as a Corbyn weakness, or whether everyone with a position on the opposition benches usually gets booted for breaking the whip, regardless of whether they're in the shadow cabinet or not.

I'm assuming it's convention else he'd have been kicked off the benches a ridiculous number of times, but I'm not sure. The opposite, on reflection, seems a logistical nightmare.

I'm expecting clive lewis to get the symbolic defence role this year anyway

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Edit: ^^ Sorry, my post wasn't completely clear. When I said 'position on the opposition benches' I meant whips and junior shadow ministers who don't attend the shadow cabinet, but still have some position beyond that of just a backbencher.

JFairfax posted:

Quoting in full because I think the public's broader wish that Article 50 not be blocked is not always taken on board when criticising Corbyn on this issue.

One other stat in the article is that only 39% of Labour voters want to block Article 50.

So if only 39% of Labour voters want to block Article 50, and <36% of the public at large (less whatever percentage of "don't knows") want Labour to block it, it looks to me like he's chosen the best of a series of bad options in terms of electability.

Edit: vv Thanks! I guess he'd struggle to refill the positions if he booted them all at this point anyway.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 12, 2017

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Prince John posted:

Letting whips who broke a triple line whip off with a warning is pretty unconventional

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cerv posted:

they had an on again off again relationship. if Christian hadn't walked out on Al Fayad when they'd been living together a year before the crash, then he presumably wouldn't have been out with Di that night

This, basically. As I recall from her bio, he wanted kids and she wanted a career so she dropped him.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Jedit posted:

This, basically. As I recall from her bio, he wanted kids and she wanted a career so she dropped him.

quote:

Dodi and I met when I was 18. He was so charming and I was intrigued. He was very romantic, he immediately sent me flowers and pursued me. We dated for a while but then it became clear to me that it wasn’t my sort of lifestyle. It was a bit over the top with the bodyguards. I was very Western, I was making my own money and his father was very Egyptian. The women stayed in the kitchen when they would eat. Dodi was lovely, but I grew bored, I was young. We became friends and every time I went back to Europe I’d stay with him.

We sort of rekindled our relationship towards the end of his life, and about a year before he died we became intimate again, and that’s when he asked me if I would have his baby. I thought about it for a minute of course, because I loved him. I’d always wanted a kid and I’d suffered miscarriages. But then I thought about the reality of it. I really thought that with the Fayed power and money, the minute the kid would be born, the kid would be living Dodi’s life.

I actually left under very stupid circumstances. I was staying at his house in London when he asked me, and I just wrote a note and left. I couldn’t handle it and I literally never heard from him again, and then he died. It was heartbreaking. We had stayed in touch for nearly two decades. Our friendship deserved more respect than I gave it.

Looks like Shatner also made a pass at her. Didn't realise she had struggled so much with drugs and alcohol though. :(

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

kustomkarkommando posted:

Letting whips who broke a triple line whip off with a warning is pretty unconventional

It's almost as if we live in unconventional times.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

blunt posted:

Here's the full version without weird cropping/quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtDOqNlgoOE

I dont really get it. Everyone knew Trump was going to be batshit insane. How does Trump turning out to be, surprise surprise, batshit insane change anything? Are we supposed to think that Clinton is a saint now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Prince Phillip ordered Diana's death because she was pregnant with Dodi's baby which meant that there would one day be a brown Muslim as the sibling of the King. I think I actually believe that conspiracy theory.

Also someone was telling me last night that the reason Federer has two sets of twins is that his wife got pregnant through IVF because he's secretly gay and lives in Switzerland with his male lover.

Also the same reason Beyoncé is having twins but not because Jay-Z is gay but because he has AIDS and gave it to her and that's why Solange slapped him in that lift.

• Locked thread