Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ManlyGrunting posted:

Sadly all of the mirages in this game are from the first Fire Emblem or Awakening (which share a universe I think?)

Yeah, and there's a pretty big reason why it's only 1/3 and Awakening. Although I think technically Gaiden can also be part of this universe, if I'm understanding how that game works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Tae posted:

Yeah, and there's a pretty big reason why it's only 1/3 and Awakening. Although I think technically Gaiden can also be part of this universe, if I'm understanding how that game works?

Gaiden takes place on Awakening's Valm continent (known as Valentia now that we have its localized name) so yeah it is absolutely part of the Marth universe. You even have the Whitewings show up in Gaiden along with a dude who is totally not this other guy from FE1 we swear as playable character.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fire Emblems 1-5 plus Awakening all take place in the same world, just at different points in history.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't believe they shoved their protagonist spheres into those ghosts at first and then everyone else just gets a murdering.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

RareAcumen posted:

I can't believe they shoved their protagonist spheres into those ghosts at first and then everyone else just gets a murdering.

I'm pretty sure Protagonist Spheres are a one time use thing, also an Itsuki-only thing.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ManlyGrunting posted:

Sadly all of the mirages in this game are from the first Fire Emblem or Awakening (which share a universe I think?)

I do wish the game had tried to appeal to more than just Japan with that.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, can I just be the first person to say that I loving love whoever designed this game's weapons? They look cool and artistic and fancy and I love it.

Itsuki's Falcion is simple, but elegant. The golden... leafing, I want to say? I'm no weapon expert. The swirly-handle stuff. It looks nice.

Tsubasa's Iron Feather is very pretty, it has this nice swirling to it and the colors look nice.

Touma's Iron Lance has the cool inverse triple prongs and the chain wrapped around it that makes it looks very stylized.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

I do wish the game had tried to appeal to more than just Japan with that.
awakening, noted for being unpopular in america

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

The only possible representation this game was ever going to get outside of FE1 and 13 would be like, Roy, Ike, and maybe Lyn based on popularity polls. It makes sense that they stuck with the first game and the most recent game at the time.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Junpei posted:

Okay, can I just be the first person to say that I loving love whoever designed this game's weapons? They look cool and artistic and fancy and I love it.

Itsuki's Falcion is simple, but elegant. The golden... leafing, I want to say? I'm no weapon expert. The swirly-handle stuff. It looks nice.

Tsubasa's Iron Feather is very pretty, it has this nice swirling to it and the colors look nice.

Touma's Iron Lance has the cool inverse triple prongs and the chain wrapped around it that makes it looks very stylized.

You are going to have a rollercoaster of a time then. Some of the weapons are super sleek and cool looking and others are peak JRPG.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Do we know why Nintendo didn't do an English dub of the game? It seems a bit odd.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Item Getter posted:

Do we know why Nintendo didn't do an English dub of the game? It seems a bit odd.

The game bombed in Japan and they rightfully didn't expect it to do any better here - it wasn't worth it.

The official reason was, in fewer words, that the game was :japan: as all hell anyway so the Japanese voices sort of fit, and I don't entirely disagree with that either.

E: Also even if there was a dub they likely wouldn't have touched the songs, so the change between English dialogue and Japanese AMVs would have been a bit jarring.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Since Touma/Cain are nominally a cavalier, why did they ditch the ccol bike for battle?

losers

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'd rather have the game subtitled than not at all, though it does make me a bit nostalgic for the P4 dub. It had its ups and downs to be sure, but damned if I didn't see the host's face coming apart and think "Then I will grant you one truth..."

Touma looks like he's gonna get a rough deal. Even the level-up screen gives him poo poo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Item Getter posted:

Most likely finding VA's that can also sing would add too much time to the localization that it would come out before Christmas or worst case, last month when WiiU officially stopped production and they have revealed the Switch entirely.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I wouldn't mind it being subtitled so much if they didn't leave some dialog out of the translation. Like when Touma shows up and does his anime as hell translation he says a bunch of stuff that isn't subtitled.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
It would have been cool if they'd subbed battle chatter. Most of it isn't super interesting but there's some boss banter, and your mirages helpfully yell at you when you gently caress up or encourage you when you're doing well.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Since Touma/Cain are nominally a cavalier, why did they ditch the ccol bike for battle?

losers
Because sadly cavaliers never use their horses in combat as a weapon. The only time I've seen a mount in Fire Emblem get involved in actually attacking units is the axe critical hit animation for wyvern lords in Fates, where the wyvern smacks an opponent in the face with its tail before the rider hits the target with his or her axe.

But yes, Touma should get a multi-hit physical attack where his Caincycle performs a burnout on his opponent, because coolness and all.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

poorlywrittennovel posted:

The only possible representation this game was ever going to get outside of FE1 and 13 would be like, Roy, Ike, and maybe Lyn based on popularity polls. It makes sense that they stuck with the first game and the most recent game at the time.

Yeah, but going by polls only Marth himself would actually be reping Shadow Dragon. Only two others were actually in the top 100 of this newest one, even.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 12, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

AradoBalanga posted:

Because sadly cavaliers never use their horses in combat as a weapon. The only time I've seen a mount in Fire Emblem get involved in actually attacking units is the axe critical hit animation for wyvern lords in Fates, where the wyvern smacks an opponent in the face with its tail before the rider hits the target with his or her axe.

But yes, Touma should get a multi-hit physical attack where his Caincycle performs a burnout on his opponent, because coolness and all.

Not directly, but you try to tell me fe7 paladins don't have their horses involved in their crits. They add style in a universe where looking super rad as you attack adds damage.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

FoolyCharged posted:

Not directly, but you try to tell me fe7 paladins don't have their horses involved in their crits. They add style in a universe where looking super rad as you attack adds damage.

Just wait for Touma's super, that's all I'm saying.

Kurieg posted:

I wouldn't mind it being subtitled so much if they didn't leave some dialog out of the translation. Like when Touma shows up and does his anime as hell translation he says a bunch of stuff that isn't subtitled.

Yeah, this was one of my bigger gripes. Every turn the characters say something, and while the models are expressive enough to get the general tone, I'd like to actually know the specifics. Same with special moves and call-outs and stuff.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
I can only imagine how much harder it would be to program subtitles for midcombat speech since you could button mash past it but I wish they could've at least gotten the boss's smack talk at the start of their fights.

Combat animations have yet to get flashier, we just got through the tutorial dungeon. Give it time before the horses motorcycle gets involved.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

FoolyCharged posted:

GBA fire emblem was so stylish.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So if the cavalier's got an optional sweet bike, does the peg knight have a jetpack?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Last time, we beat the boss and met Cain and Touma. Now let's get the gently caress out of here.

As it turns out, the red dome dumps us out right above the exit. How convenient.

:siren: Saved by Kiria :siren:

:sigh: But it's never that easy, is it?

Ah! There's a whole bunch of them!

Crap, that's a lot... Things might get a little rough here...

There's nowhere to run. We have to fight!

But there's so many of them...!

What!?

And suddenly the area gets coated in ice. Thanks mysterious benefactor, but we totally could have taken those fights, there was only like six of them. :colbert:

Huh-Kiria!? Wh-Why is she here live, in person!?

Ohmygosh Kiria's looking at me... Wait-don't tell me Kiria's a Mirage Master too...?

Wh-What do I do? Ooh, I can feel my brain pounding...

Uh, Tsubasa... if it's your brain that's pounding, something might be wrong.

Hm...

Kiria can clearly see where this is going, and gets out before she gets cornered by a fangirl.

Uh, I think we have more important things to worry about... Come on, let's get out of here while we can.

:siren: Maiko Shimazaki :siren:

We finally made it back.

Yep! Nicely done, you two.

I can't believe all that happened... but I'm just glad we all made it back safe.

You can say that again... Man, I'm beat.

Ah yes, the "sexy boss" character, just what we were missing.

Yeah. Though, uh, Kiria had to bail us out at the end there.

And these two would be...?

Oh, they're my friends: Itsuki and Tsubasa.

Oh, um, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Tsubasa Oribe.

I'm Itsuki Aoi.

Ms. Maiko... Somewhere in the middle of all that mess, these two got the powers of Mirage Masters.

...Both Masters... Maybe this is fate then...

Sorry, but you are...?

I direct others who investigate incidents like this one. I suppose you could call me their leader.

...Investigation?

Yes. Although Mirage-related incidents aren't often made public, they're more common than you know.

...The Mass Disappearance. I'm sure you're familiar with the name, at least?

That was the incident where a huge number of performers and audience members just... vanished, right?

Mirages were responsible for that phenomenon, too.

We still don't have all the information on what they truly are... But we've confirmed that they reside in areas known as Idolaspheres and cause harm to humans.

Their existence lies beyond that of our physical realm... so conventional weaponry doesn't really faze them. The only thing that can stop a Mirage is the power of another Mirage.

You catch on quick. Certain Mirages can harmonize with talented humans and grant them their powers... Using these gifted powers to combat this threat to humanity - that is what it means to be a Mirage Master.

Since we investigate cases involving Mirages, we NEED the help of Masters to do it. Unfortunately, those who have the natural ability for it are very rare...

Tsubasa?

Huh!?

I don't know if I'll be any good at it... but if I do have some rare ability... then I want to help out!

I see...

You're Ayaha Oribe's little sister, aren't you?

H-Huh...? How do you know that...?

Still, I never dreamed that you'd get yourself involved in all this.

During the incident five years ago, you were in the audience, and Ayaha Oribe disappeared before your eyes.

...Yes.

And you're thinking if you become a Mirage Master... you might find some clues about your sister... correct?

I've been looking all this time... I only auditioned in the first place because I thought being in the industry'd help... If becoming a Mirage Master will help me find her, then... I'll do it! I... I want to become a Master!

Th-Thank you so much!

And what about you, Itsuki?

I'll do it. If there's any way I can help, just say the word.

Itsuki!

I knew we could count on you, man.

Thank you, Itsuki. I just love kids who are always willing to help.

I'll do my best, Ms. Shimazaki.

Uh, oookay... I'll do my best... Ms. Maiko.

Itsuki... are you sure about this...?

I can't just let you do something dangerous like this on your own, Tsubasa.

Thanks... Just having you by my side makes me feel like I can do anything!

N-No, I mean, I'll be counting on you too, Touma!

*Giggle* You three are pretty close, aren't you?

Hah hah hah! It's a shame you aren't about 10 years younger, Ms. Maiko, or you could've gotten in on this.

Oh, Touma? I think you and I need to sit down for a nice long chat... about your future.

S-Sorry, uh, my schedule's all full up!

You... have a hidden base?

It's only appropriate for a secret organization to have a secret headquarters, right?

Uh, Ms. Maiko, I think base might be stretching it a little-

Well, I'm a very busy woman. I have some errands to take care of, so I'll see you later.

And with a quick wave, Maiko disappears just as quickly as she came.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Artix posted:

Their existence lies beyond that of our physical realm... so conventional weaponry doesn't really faze them. The only thing that can stop a Mirage is the power of another Mirage.
Personas and Shadows indeed.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

God Kiria's base performa outfit looks so bad. Bondage pirate Miku is not a good look for her.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

poorlywrittennovel posted:

God Kiria's base performa outfit looks so bad. Bondage pirate Miku is not a good look for her.

IIRC her Japanese costume is muuuuch worse.

Also Maiko has a surprisingly normal looking face for a game like this, which makes it all the weirder that she's apparently smuggling two basketballs in her shirt.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kurieg posted:

Also Maiko has a surprisingly normal looking face for a game like this, which makes it all the weirder that she's apparently smuggling two basketballs in her shirt.

I don't think they changed her default Carnage outfit, actually. It's bad, but I haven't heard any rumblings about that particular outfit.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kurieg posted:

Most of the female characters in this game are. We've already seen Tsubasa and Kiria, and they're more stacked than high school girls have a right to be. It's funny, because neither Atlus nor IntSys has much of a history of exaggerated character designs like this.

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't think they changed her default Carnage outfit, actually. It's bad, but I haven't heard any rumblings about that particular outfit.
Yeah, they definitely changed one of her other outfits, but I don't think this one was a victim of that trend. And I rarely have her in that outfit when she's in my party. I usually use either her casual clothes (which we saw her revert to before she ninja-vanished), or one of her performance outfits.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Commander Keene posted:

Most of the female characters in this game are. We've already seen Tsubasa and Kiria, and they're more stacked than high school girls have a right to be. It's funny, because neither Atlus nor IntSys has much of a history of exaggerated character designs like this.

What about Devil Survivor 2 and the anti gravity boobs?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Commander Keene posted:

Pretend I posted a picture of Camilla because I'm too lazy to look for one on my phone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'more stacked than high school girls have a right to be' is a really weird sentence my dude

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The designs for some of the characters are weird, yes, though any character I've felt has a particularly egregious outfit has always had a much better option in their alt costumes. Kiria gets probably the best alternate outfit in the game, for instance.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, they definitely changed one of her other outfits, but I don't think this one was a victim of that trend. And I rarely have her in that outfit when she's in my party. I usually use either her casual clothes (which we saw her revert to before she ninja-vanished), or one of her performance outfits.

It depends on the artist they hire, really.
Mainline SMT has gone with Kazuma Kaneko most of the time and his human designs are all about that sleek and slender form and LINES LINES LINES GOTTA HAVE LIIINES. You also have Shigenori Soejima on the Persona (3 onwards) side, no introductions necessary, though to my eye hes Kaneko with a softer touch and more color, at least for the persona games, not surprising since Kaneko was his mentor.

From what I can glean Toi8 (its a pseudonym for an artist) is the main character designer, and looking at their various sketches off of GIS, well its their preferred mode of design lets just put it that way.
Theyre also the main character artist for I Am Setsuna. So yeah.
I dont like their style personally.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 13, 2017

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pash posted:

What about Devil Survivor 2 and the anti gravity boobs?
Yeah, the DeSu series is a bit of an exception on Atlus' side, but that's because they hired some actual manga artist for the character designs in that one instead of going with their in-house character designers, IIRC. In almost every other game, character designs are much more realistic.

ChaosArgate posted:

Pretend I posted a picture of Camilla because I'm too lazy to look for one on my phone.
A single exception does not make the rule, especially when you have like a literal thousand characters before that one establishing the pattern.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Toi8 is a good and unique artist

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

To the secret hideout!

Which I'm sure is just some office in a building or something.

I want this game now. But it's on an entirely different platform. I can't buy it for just one game :(

Maybe part of why the game didn't sell so well has to do with the popularity of its platform?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the eyepatch really makes the outfit, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I want this game now. But it's on an entirely different platform. I can't buy it for just one game :(

Maybe part of why the game didn't sell so well has to do with the popularity of its platform?

I mean, it probably didn't help, but Splatoon sold almost 5 million copies. I'm not saying their circumstances were the same by any stretch of the imagination, but coming off the success of both SMT IV and Fire Emblem Awakening, you'd think TMS would do better than 50k, even on the Wii U.

E: And to be fair, Nintendo has said the 50k sales were within estimates so it's not like they got blindsided. It just bombed in general.

• Locked thread