Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

feedmyleg posted:

It definitely does, it's part of the prize that you become a telepathic empath.

Yeah like I said, it never comes up again :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Connor and Duncan are the only Highlanders in those films, by the way. They're properly called Immortals :colbert:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The first constructive comment in this discussion.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Highlander is the prequel origin story for The Emperor in a Warhammer 40K movie.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

muscles like this! posted:

So last year it was announced that John Wick's Chad Stahelski had been hired for the long in the works Highlander reboot. In a recent interview he talks about how he's basically been given free reign to do whatever he wants with the franchise. He also mentions how bad the stuff that was previously done was with "there was aliens, meteors, spaceships, uh, DNA mutations, terrorists."

No poo poo, I break out into laughter every time someone mentions Zeist.

That's not even getting into poo poo like "THIS IS THE END OF TIME". It's difficult to quantify in words alone just how loving stupid the sequels got.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Everything about the alien stuff was so bizarre.

Also in the first movie its pretty clear that the "holy ground" thing isn't tradition seeing as even the Kurgen follows it and he's a guy who doesn't seem to care about anything like that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Everything about the alien stuff was so bizarre.

Also in the first movie its pretty clear that the "holy ground" thing isn't tradition seeing as even the Kurgen follows it and he's a guy who doesn't seem to care about anything like that.

I thought there was a bit of a shake or at least scary noise when it looked like violence was about to break out in the church, but it's been a while since I watched the film.

As bad as Zeist was, the Renegade Cut doesn't improve Highlander 2 by cutting it out. Mainly because it just makes the whole film even less coherent than it was.

Anyway, I'm definitely pro-Highlander reboot since it's a perfect example of great concept that wasn't executed as well as it could have been. But if the soundtrack isn't heavy with Queen then they've definitely hosed it up. Yeah, it's obvious and on the nose, but the music was such a significant part of the film that just having a generic score with a reprise of Princes of the Universe over the end credits it'll feel wrong.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The trailer will have a slow cover of Princes of the Universe.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

GrandpaPants posted:

I dunno, "Who Wants to Live Forever" probably works better for a teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jtpf8N5IDE

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What if the movie's soundtrack is made entirely of Queen songs that weren't written for Highlander

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

21 Muns posted:

What if the movie's soundtrack is made entirely of Queen songs that weren't written for Highlander

Sold!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

21 Muns posted:

Then I applaud them for sheer audacity and recognize it as the greatest artistic achievement of mankind.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

21 Muns posted:

Licensing a bunch of actual Queen songs would be a huge improvement over the previous film, Highlander: The Source, which features an embarrassingly bad cover band playing Princes of the Universe.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
It's kind of funny how you can plot an entire Highlander remake just with Queen song titles.

My ideal remake begins in Galilee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0J_kuTib1w

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Wasn't there a Highlander property (maybe the TV show? It's what I grew up with) that said that Pompeii was the end result of two Roman immortals fighting in a temple?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Wasn't there a Highlander property (maybe the TV show? It's what I grew up with) that said that Pompeii was the end result of two Roman immortals fighting in a temple?

It was in the TV series yeah, and in The Final Dimension too it's made clear that bad poo poo happens if immortals fight surrounded by holy stuff. But then in Highlander Endgame they're able to kill a bunch of immortals literally in the middle of a monastery because, and later they're able to fight in a cemetery (something gravely :haw: avoided in all other Highlander media) because to quote the villain, "I"M NOT PLAYING BY THE RUUUUULES MCLEOD!!!" but nothing happens.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

K. Waste posted:

It's kind of funny how you can plot an entire Highlander remake just with Queen song titles.

My ideal remake begins in Galilee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0J_kuTib1w

The first Queen couple Queen albums are super underrated, and if I can recall correctly, based on a fantasy land Mercury had created. The Mercury name came from the song My Fairy Queen. I'm betting that it could have made an awesome movie in its own right if he were still alive today.

Brian May's '39 is the plot of Interstellar.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GrandpaPants posted:

100% guaranteed that at least the teaser will have a slow piano cover of Princes of the Universe.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Detective No. 27 posted:

The first Queen couple Queen albums are super underrated, and if I can recall correctly, based on a fantasy land Mercury had created. The Mercury name came from the song My Fairy Queen. I'm betting that it could have made an awesome movie in its own right if he were still alive today.

Brian May's '39 is the plot of Interstellar.

That would be an easy way to weave in some subtle 'biographical' homages, like having elemental Mercury or the planet Mercury play some role in the plot.

'39 could easily be re-imagined as an overture a la the use of "1921" in Tommy. That's the back story, you say, "gently caress the haters, we're still takin' some of this poo poo and making it, like, blatantly about Scientology."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

100% guaranteed that at least the teaser will have a slow piano cover of Princes of the Universe.

I'm going to bet that the teaser uses the slow version of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" because some studio exec figures they're the same song.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's already the track Forever, which is a slow piano version of Who Wants To Live Forever.

Goddamn, A Kind Of Magic is a mostly great album.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Both of Queen's movie albums are easily some of the best movie albums.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw a trailer for the Taken TV series (which is a thing) and they somehow had a slow cover of REM's "The One I Love"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Both of Queen's movie albums are easily some of the best movie albums.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

21 Muns posted:

*The Highlander draws his sword to face down Kurrgan for the final time*
FLASH! AHHHH-AHHHHHHH!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always imagined the Queen fantasy movie would have been a Henson production.

I wonder what movies they would have scored had Freddie not died.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The guy who wrote the Ogre Battle video game series was very inspired by Queen. The first two games are based on the second album which is why it's even called Ogre Battle. The first two games in the series are Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. I'd kill for a like an official movie based on those first two albums though but understand why that can't happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p-5CgWP7Iw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoBMhx_ap_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge18n2JCwBs

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

*The Highlander draws his sword to face down Kurrgan for the final time*
FLASH! AHHHH-AHHHHHHH!
HE'LL SAVE EVERYONE OF US!

FTFY

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Now I want Highlander to be scored to Queen, mashed up and remixed ala that Beatles album that was made for the Cirque Du Solei show in Vegas.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Highlander reboot soundtrack is just repurposed Flash Gordon soundtrack.

Flash Gordon reboot soundtrack is just repurposed Highlander soundtrack.

Crossover film soundtrack is just Fat Bottomed Girls and Bicycle Race repeated for two hours.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Do all immortals fight with a blade or can you do more varied things with them? It's 2016 I want to see some diversity

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Gimmie a highlander with a bath'leth.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cross the streams and make the Highlander reboot a Soulcalibur adaptation. Sword Hula Hoops!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Do all immortals fight with a blade or can you do more varied things with them? It's 2016 I want to see some diversity

An Immortal fights with their heart, not their sword.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean they could probably use any sort of bladed weapon or tool but swords are of course culturally linked to honor and heroism and dueling and what not, if I remember correctly the price of a decent sword for most of the Medieval period was about the same as for a car today and even after they got cheaper there were still laws in many countries forbidding commoners from carrying swords since a sword was a sign of nobility.

A chainsaw battle would be neat.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 12, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Flying guillotine with backup turkey decapitator arrow for optimized head-removing combat potential.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I mean they could probably use any sort of bladed weapon or tool but swords are of course culturally linked to honor and heroism and dueling and what not, if I remember correctly the price of a decent sword for most of the Medieval period was about the same as for a car today and even after they got cheaper there were still laws in many countries forbidding commoners from carrying swords since a sword was a sign of nobility.

Coincidentally, a lot of what you said applies to chainsaws in Wisconsin.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I think there is already a lot of :goonsay: about how Connor's sword was made well before swords like that were made, but what I want to know is: When and how did Kurgan get his sword? I'm assuming he's a fair bit older than Connor, and I imagine the place he comes from doesn't exactly have the most refined weapons manufacturers. Kurgan probably decapitated his first dude with a stone ax.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I thought the swords were the Immortals thing and not man that forged them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

FreudianSlippers posted:

The best Highlander movie is Highlander: The Search for Vengeance. It's set in the future with less than 10 Immortals left so they're all ridiculously powerful, and the first fight is against a huge guy with an overpowered chainsaw.

Also, Stonehenge counts as holy ground.

Dr. MonkeyThunder fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 12, 2017

• Locked thread