Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

not sure why but suddenly it occurs to me that this would be a good time to create a dramatic production (film or television) of akallabeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Bongo Bill posted:

I think it would not, but in a way independent of quality.
I don't even know if they make DVD cases that big

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Annual Prophet posted:

not sure why but suddenly it occurs to me that this would be a good time to create a dramatic production (film or television) of akallabeth
I am Annatar, Lord of Gifts, and I make the best rings. Just the best. I tell you, there's a lot of bad people in Valinor, and they're making us look very weak. When was the last time Numenor won at anything?

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 8, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bash the King's Men

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

PJ's elves are nowhere near strange enough, or gay enough (in the way Sam would use the word, not the way it would be used to describe Sam).

He cast all these actors-of-a-certain-age with gravitas, has them do low, slow, wooden delivery of lines... where does that even come from?

His choice for Gil-Galad is a crime. I thought movie directors loved "casting" pretty teenage boys for parts?

Celeborn's portrayal is my favorite. The actor sounds high as a kite.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ginette Reno posted:

Celeborn's portrayal is my favorite. The actor sounds high as a kite.

Haldir, who has never been hugged before, and his robot army.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

sassassin posted:

Theoden is a sad, grieving old man who is under the influence of at least one wizard's spell for most of his screentime. Talking incoherently is a feature, not a bug.

It's that his actions make no sense, like the whole "I will not risk open war."

The writers changed around the things that lead to Helm's Deep without any point to the changes whatsoever.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I think the point to the changes was not having to introduce Erkenbrand. They wanted Eomer to fill that role. Also it put some completely unnecessary tension between Aragorn and Theoden, which I guess represented Theoden's distrust of Gondor. It makes sense, but wasn't really handled well.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kemper Boyd posted:

It's that his actions make no sense, like the whole "I will not risk open war."

Theoden goes on an emotional rollercoaster due in part to how PJ interpreted Saruman's hold on him. After Gandalf frees him from the magic beard and cataracts, he discovers his son is dead and the lands are in disarray, and Eomer is gone, and so the first stage naturally has to be fear of more loss, and retreat.

In the book the "spell" is different. Theoden is driven to inaction using that fear, through the words of Grima. It's not prosthetics, but the knowledge that he has been betrayed and abandoned, his son is dead etc. that keeps him pinned to the throne.

Gandalf then drives that fear away, gives him the Fire back (the figurative fire that is the explicit power of his magic ring), and Theoden is a suicidal maniac bent on the destruction of his and every other people until his timely death.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I disliked that and all the overt use of magic in those movies. I hated seeing Gandalf casting dumb spells with his staff like in an Elder Scrolls game, whenever the books referred to magical things like that I imagined it was either some kind of spiritual power representing Christian faith or wisdom or technique of some kind, not beams of light and fireballs and possessions.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
he does literally shoot a beam of light out his staff at the nazgul in the books

he has some kind of lightning-based showdown with them at weathertop

iirc he blows up the goblin king's head in the hobbit, and then he does the fireball thing

the scene with the balrog is portrayed pretty much as it is in the books

the films' treatment of gandalf's magic is actually not egregious and pretty faithful to the books, save for theoden's prosthetics

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah man, the elder scrolls invented using staffs for magic.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

chernobyl kinsman posted:

he does literally shoot a beam of light out his staff at the nazgul in the books

he has some kind of lightning-based showdown with them at weathertop

iirc he blows up the goblin king's head in the hobbit, and then he does the fireball thing

the scene with the balrog is portrayed pretty much as it is in the books

the films' treatment of gandalf's magic is actually not egregious and pretty faithful to the books, save for theoden's prosthetics

He shoots a fireball that burns some of Legolas' arrows when fighting the Wargs in Hollin, too.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The craziest magic thing Gandalf does is his dragon firework. Which is cool because it's something totally benign and not "heroic". It's a toy he made for hobbits.

The wizard fight between him and Saruman was funny though.

My memory of that bit in the books was very low key. Like Saruman does his technicolor cloak thing and just tells Gandalf to go to the dungeon when he's not into it.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 12, 2017

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

sassassin posted:

He shoots a fireball that burns some of Legolas' arrows when fighting the Wargs in Hollin, too.

Iirc, he lights the entire ring of trees. Legolas' arrow takes the warm chieftain through the throat.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yup, it's the entire crown of trees on the hill. He also forces waterlogged wood to combust during the snowstorm on Caradhras.

I'll agree the wizard duel was pretty stupid and cringeworthy though

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wasn't sure whether to be impressed at the inventiveness/audacity or laugh my rear end off when Gandalf started spinning around on the floor on his side like a Three Stooges routine. WOOPWOOPWOOP :zoid:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
two very old men tightly gripping their staves and grunting

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoaO4i-v0Aw

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Why don't we talk about what's really important...how JJRT never elaborated on Gondor's tax policy! What a huge hole in setting development, amirite? :thesperg:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Aragorn needs to release his tax records

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

webmeister posted:

Aragorn needs to release his tax records

and his birth certificate

yeah right, you just happen to be the long lost heir with numenor and elf and maia blood

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Gondor should build a wall on the border with Ithilien to keep all the Orcs out.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

u brexit ukip it posted:

Gondor should build a wall on the border with Ithilien to keep all the Orcs out.

I think they tried that but the orcs brought sappers.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

#MakeArnorGreatAgain

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

What's the point of having all these superweapons if we can't use them?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Elrond thinks problems of OUR NATION solved by nine men? Typical Elvish elite. Sad!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Telcontar has appointed someone named Smeagol to be Secretary of Juicy-Sweet Fish.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Spoke to Sauron by palantir today - we should have peaceful relations and wonderful trade!

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

"aides to denethor privately expressed concern that sauron may have obtained palantir recordings showing eowyn urinating on her bower at aragorn's request. the dunedain, however, flatly rejected these assertions as an unsubstantiated smear campaign, a characterization that was not, apparently, intended as a pun."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I hope you mean dunadan.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Denethor ran an insecure palantir. It's a disgrace, and he should be thrown in gaol.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Denethor is literally that person on your Facebook who reads too much news or "news" on the internet and has gone crazy because of it. Like that's really what happened to Denethor.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FAKE VISIONS!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Denethor is literally that person on your Facebook who reads too much news or "news" on the internet and has gone crazy because of it. Like that's really what happened to Denethor.

And Saruman is fox news.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And Saruman is fox news.

Nah, Saruman is far more subtle.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Saruman was literally* a fascist strong man using radio to rile up the masses

* figuratively

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Literally = figuratively because language is fluid and ever-changing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are virtually identical .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Ynglaur posted:

Nah, Saruman is far more subtle.

Hm...the Kremlin? :v: