Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The intermediate stages of the Klingon augment virus were a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

And you have to pay for another premium streaming service to watch this network show?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

And you have to pay for another premium streaming service to watch this network show?

Or steal it on the Internet if you're not a chump.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It explains a lot about how Worf finds those fish guys noble.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

God drat it, Star Trek. Why do you hurt us when we love you so? At this rate the Vulcans are going to look like the Remans.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Star Trek is like the worst show to do this kind of thing with too.

It's not like you can just gently caress around with the design of a species and people will still be like "oh yeah, those must be Klingons because their foreheads are all weird." I mean, come on. Even a ridged forehead isn't a definitively identifying thing in Star Trek.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

God drat it, Star Trek. Why do you hurt us when we love you so? At this rate the Vulcans are going to look like the Remans.

No, Fuzzy Hulk. The Vulcans are going to look like Neelix.

Right down to the hotel hallway carpet jacket.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I want to believe they're some lower caste species that serve the Empire, but in my heart I know it's yet another terrible Klingon redesign. Of all the things to gently caress around with, why that?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The Romulans are now green slime creatures, and the Borg all wear three piece suits along with their hologram eyepatches and cyber diapers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Of all the things to gently caress around with, why that?

When you're given the reigns to one of the biggest franchises in the history of fiction, you're gonna wanna splatter it with your DNA. Playing around with and giving your own unique spin to iconic things would be a hard temptation to pass up.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Orion slave girls were always purple and feathered, right?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This must be how nerds in the 70's felt when they saw the first low-quality black and white photos of the Klingons in TMP in their fan zines.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That image is the first truly upsetting thing to me about Discovery.

I really, really want this to not suck.

GODDAMMIT

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Does anyone else think it looks like they are wearing skirts?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Wait a second, let's be fair here. Maybe those over-the-top ridges have been there all along, and all these Klingons just have their heads shaved for some reason. After all, we already know that Klingon spines are ridged:

And even Klingon feet:

So... why NOT their scalps, underneath their usual luxurious manes?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TBF I think the important thing about this reveal is not that Klingons look different, it's that only morons would think that Klingons need to look different.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

TBF I think the important thing about this reveal is not that Klingons look different, it's that only morons would think that Klingons need to look different.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I wonder who's the person that keeps pushing these stupid redesigns.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This ain't your momma's Klingons

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Perhaps it IS a good day to die?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

The doctors who couldn't finish a simple cardiac replacement and had to call in Pulaski across several light-years to come fix it.

Dr. "Chevy Chase's great great great great Grandson" on the right?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
So who posted that picture? I can't find the original post and considering how tight-lipped STD has been so far, it doesn't seem like a picture they'd release like that. It almost comes off like some extra on the set posted a picture and only had a vague idea what Trek aliens were and just called them Klingons.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Yes we can all hope that way.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh, my sweet summer Sheliak.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I guess all the good art people went to work on The Expanse

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
We will do what we have always done: Find hope in the impossible.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

Wait a second, let's be fair here. Maybe those over-the-top ridges have been there all along, and all these Klingons just have their heads shaved for some reason. After all, we already know that Klingon spines are ridged:

And even Klingon feet:

So... why NOT their scalps, underneath their usual luxurious manes?

Yeah, but their heads are pointy, like ancient humans who practiced cranial deformation on babies:

And Klingots never looked like that.

They should have just made this a full on reboot and said they were ignoring all continuity and were "inspired" by TOS and it took place in a new timeline with elements of the old (ie what we all thought JJ Trek would be before we found out he was going out of his way to link it to the original timeline). We probably would have been a lot more accepting of it instead of having them poo poo all over canon.

In fact, I may just consider this as a non canon reboot in my own head, and then maybe I can enjoy it more. :downs:

#NOTMYKLINGONS

Astroman fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 12, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

Astroman posted:

#NOTMYKLINGONS

We would do well to remember this for a thread title in 2019 when Discovery comes out on Hulu Triple Plus.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Orv posted:

We would do well to remember this for a thread title in 2019 when Discovery comes out on Hulu Triple Plus.

I would rather it come out on that than on fuckin CBS All Access because at least Hulu Triple Plus could feasibly have shows and movies other than Star Trek that I would want to watch.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

MorgaineDax posted:

We will do what we have always done: Find hope in the impossible.

Because we have faith of the heart.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pakled posted:

I would rather it come out on that than on fuckin CBS All Access because at least Hulu Triple Plus could feasibly have shows and movies other than Star Trek that I would want to watch.

$120 a month, three shows; Star Trek: Discovery, The Bachelor and the revival of American Idol.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pakled posted:

I wouldn't be shocked to see CBS yank the other shows from Netflix and Prime and stash them on All Access.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It will live and die in the episodes themselves, well that and on a stupid platform that will drag it down with it when it dies. Anyway, If the show is decent, makeup and costume changes will be forgiven. That said, I don't really like them, one thing the until now ubiquitous forehead aliens had going for them was an ability to retain expressiveness and individuality.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

and then CBS will discover just how little appeal most of those shows have

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dont even fink about it posted:

My general feeling from the show is that Crusher and Troi started as the flattest and most disinteresting characters, which contributed to the writers almost never developing them.

Remember the Robin Hood episode, where Picard, Riker, Worf, Geordi and even Data who was playing Friar Tuck got to sword fight the Sheriff of Nottingham's men while Crusher and Troi got to smash pots over their heads?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember the Robin Hood episode, where Picard, Riker, Worf, Geordi and even Data who was playing Friar Tuck got to sword fight the Sheriff of Nottingham's men while Crusher and Troi got to smash pots over their heads?

yeah but remember when they wore leotards and stretched in front of a big mirror?

I don't have a point

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Timby posted:

I wouldn't be shocked to see CBS yank the other shows from Netflix and Prime and stash them on All Access.

Netflix apparently paid a massive amount of money for the Discovery rights outside of America and Canada (I think a CBS executive even said it was enough to pay for the production of the show) , I imagine CBS doesn't want to piss them off too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So the prevailing theory is that those are the 'Sarcophagus' Klingons, rather than modern Klingons, which is why they look different.