Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That's not happening.

Relevant link: http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/157124759613/no-a-lot-of-people-play-modern-we-have-no-plans#notes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

All well and good but I meant people like me who play Legacy aren't playing standard.

Also Modern sucks.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Modern is a great format but it benefits the secondary market MUCH more than the primary market so obviously Wizards isn't hot on promoting it.

New sets make them money, old sets don't. That's simple.

Now if they had a GOOD Modern-targeted product that would be a different story. Even more of the Modern Intro Decks a la the BW Tokens one they had - that's one way to bite in to the Modern pie. And not putting a "Premium" pricing on Modern Masters would see even more demand for it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
It would be extremely cool and good if MM17 was priced and printed at normal set rates.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Soul Glo posted:

It would be extremely cool and good if MM17 was priced and printed at normal set rates.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Game Day - We had 14 people for game day at the store I frequent, which is actually a pretty good turnout, considering that barely anyone there plays Standard. I showed, up asked if someone had a spare deck, a friend handed me a G/R energy/pummeler thing and I went 3-1, losing only to a B/R vampires deck...mostly by mana screw on my own part. It was fun, I guess. Now I can go back to not giving a gently caress about Standard for at least a few more months.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Dehtraen posted:

How'd everyone do at gameday?

3-1, lost the final round to my buddy playing Jeskai Trollheeli (he has the combo in the sodeboard) so he got the mat.

Went with that crazy fun Colossus deck and its just as fun going Paradox Engine, Colossus, Colossus, Colossus as you might think. Then the Barrage Tyrant comes.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Re: modern chat - I'm still salty as gently caress with WotC for not re-printing Goblin Guide in either of the Zendikar sets, it would have fit the flavour, fit the lands matters theme and even fit the story.

Literally the only reason I can think why they didn't is so people can't gateway in to modern with a cheap mono red deck and have to keep playing lovely standard.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Is a relatively inexpensive mono red aggro deck being viable an indicator of a healthy standard? It seems this is the first time that mono red has been bad. Even when Rhino was played as a 4-of in ~40% of 8 top decks, mono red aggro could still beat it, properly piloted, and folks still for whatever reason would and could pilot other decks to success.

I'm gonna count red devotion as red aggro on account of it ran Firedrinker Satyr (I can't believe I miss him) and Eidolon of the Great Revel.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm not sure what you mean by "healthy", but I'm pretty sure the game's history agrees that when you can put together a competitive Standard list for $50-100 all-in, the format as a whole is way more popular than it is when you need playsets of multiple $10 rares and $20 mythics just to keep up.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The popularity of legacy did jump when caw blade was in standard. And just like people jumping into modern via Jace VP, you could trade SFM and JTMS for FOW and underground sea back then.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Chill la Chill posted:

The popularity of legacy did jump when caw blade was in standard. And just like people jumping into modern via Jace VP, you could trade SFM and JTMS for FOW and underground sea back then.

This is because eternal formats are good and people generally only play standard because A) they think it's cheaper or B) they have to for tournament reasons

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

This is because eternal formats are good and people generally only play standard because A) they think it's cheaper or B) they have to for tournament reasons

Or they are new to the game and it is very easy to jump into.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

4c Copy cat deck that was copying Ishkanah to make an army of spiders looks pretty fun.

Just had his draws run cold against a good B/G constrictor in game 3 and fell to 10-1.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Why is Hagon in the booth instead of Marshall?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

I can almost guarantee that it won't be priced lower than previous Masters but they did do a (small) second print run of EMA so nothing's impossible I suppose. The problem there is that if people buy enough MM17 to warrant an additional print run then that justifies the higher price point. But if no one buys it in protest of that price point, it would be easy enough for Wizards to say "well I guess there's no more interest for these sets" and axe the concept as a whole.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

C-Euro posted:

I can almost guarantee that it won't be priced lower than previous Masters but they did do a (small) second print run of EMA so nothing's impossible I suppose. The problem there is that if people buy enough MM17 to warrant an additional print run then that justifies the higher price point. But if no one buys it in protest of that price point, it would be easy enough for Wizards to say "well I guess there's no more interest for these sets" and axe the concept as a whole.

I don't believe it'll be any different from any other Masters set either, but they would sell a shitload of product if it was.

I mean, I'd buy an embarrassing amount of it if a box was $100 and as available as a normal set. Even if they kept the smaller number of packs per box.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I only support modern masters sets on the secondary market or with stores that offer it as an option for prize packs. Masters sets at normal msrp would be the only sealed product I would ever buy.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Frozen_flame posted:

3-1, lost the final round to my buddy playing Jeskai Trollheeli (he has the combo in the sodeboard) so he got the mat.

Went with that crazy fun Colossus deck and its just as fun going Paradox Engine, Colossus, Colossus, Colossus as you might think. Then the Barrage Tyrant comes.

This deck makes me kinda want to play standard. That line is 100% my cup of tea.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dzyl has been streaming a bunch of cube-like standard games involving Paradox Engine.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

People are figuring out gifted aetherborn is gas in b/g. my secret tech.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I feel like GP Pitt has had a lot of breaks in the coverage where they're just doing a power point slideshow of pro player stats or PT decklists with no music. Maybe I am just catching all the breaks by some random chance but it just seems to be happening a lot. They are doing timeshifted magic after the primary match but then there is dead space. I like the CFB coverage approach with pretty much has constant content between the end of the feature match and the start of the next round. Even the Star City approach of prior matches replaying, deck techs, or player interviews would be preferred.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Oh hey, the guy on the left is our LGS owner. Weird.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Won my game day with this. Played it because i had all of it and was lucky with getting it all on preorder when it was cheap. Will probably not play another day of standard.

Deck: B/G Value

//Lands
4 Blooming Marsh
8 Forest
4 Hissing Quagmire
8 Swamp

//Spells
1 Aethersphere Harvester
3 Fatal Push
3 Grasp of Darkness
3 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
4 Oath of Nissa

//Creatures
1 Drana, Liberator of Malakir
2 Gifted Aetherborn
3 Rishkar, Peema Renegade
4 Sylvan Advocate
4 Verdurous Gearhulk
4 Walking Ballista
4 Winding Constrictor

//Sideboard
1 Aethersphere Harvester
1 Fatal Push
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
2 Murder
2 Natural Obsolescence
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited
2 Tireless Tracker
4 Transgress the Mind

Display deck statistics

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

I feel like GP Pitt has had a lot of breaks in the coverage where they're just doing a power point slideshow of pro player stats or PT decklists with no music. Maybe I am just catching all the breaks by some random chance but it just seems to be happening a lot. They are doing timeshifted magic after the primary match but then there is dead space. I like the CFB coverage approach with pretty much has constant content between the end of the feature match and the start of the next round. Even the Star City approach of prior matches replaying, deck techs, or player interviews would be preferred.

Chat blows up every time it starts, I guess it's all commercials for people without prime or a sub.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

What an unfortunate feature match for twitch chat.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

This deck makes me kinda want to play standard. That line is 100% my cup of tea.

I mean its still Standard but the deck is hella fun. Someone posted it here so all credit to them for it, I just tweaked it for more interaction 'cos of all the aggro.

With Fatal Push maybe I should run the Implements maindeck with Renegade Map? Still plenty of powerful 2CMC stuff to kill mind.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

Won my game day with this. Played it because i had all of it and was lucky with getting it all on preorder when it was cheap. Will probably not play another day of standard.

Why would you preorder stuff if you're not gonna play? Was hoping for it to be a better format?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Why would you preorder stuff if you're not gonna play? Was hoping for it to be a better format?

I was optimistic. I also have poor impulse control when good cards are going for less than 3 dollars a playset. Walking balista seemed like a card that could be good in a lot of formats. Harvester seemed like a great card and pick up 2. Push was obvious all star.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Sickening posted:

People are figuring out gifted aetherborn is gas in b/g. my secret tech.

Reid Duke wrote an article about it

I borrowed BG for game day and lost in the final to the guy I borrowed from (on Vehicles)

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Rinkles posted:

Dzyl has been streaming a bunch of cube-like standard games involving Paradox Engine.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

I was optimistic. I also have poor impulse control when good cards are going for less than 3 dollars a playset. Walking balista seemed like a card that could be good in a lot of formats. Harvester seemed like a great card and pick up 2. Push was obvious all star.

i thought ballista is seeing play in like, vintage

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

i thought ballista is seeing play in like, vintage

It is. Its a great card that could show up in any format. This set has a ton of good uncommons and rares that could potentially have a good place somewhere. I wish that translated to a good standard.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Won gameday today with UB control. 3-0 for top 8 (1st) then powered through each match for the win.. adding some extra style by winning with Liliana ultimate both games of the final.

Best part is our new (ish) store had 24 people show up which means they can level up the store status thingy so a success for all involved!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is it just me or does mana screw feel a lot worse in standard?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is it just me or does mana screw feel a lot worse in standard?

Missing a beat against any of the big 3 can be incredibly punishing.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Missing a beat against any of the big 3 can be incredibly punishing.

Agreed. Which is why people saying standard is underpowered compared to yesteryear is a bit bewildering to me.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Agreed. Which is why people saying standard is underpowered compared to yesteryear is a bit bewildering to me.

Toolcraft -> Heart -> Depala/Veteran Motorist

Snake -> Rishkar -> Balista -> Gearhulk

Potential T4 infinite combo.

Standard seems incredibly scary right now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Standard answers are vastly underpowered compared to yesteryear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Standard answers are vastly underpowered compared to yesteryear.

even hero's downfall would do work in this standard

• Locked thread