Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pigbottom posted:

It took me 40 tries. I'm really bad at this game but still, I think they gave the bosses too much hp. I didn't feel like I beat him co's I got better at the game, I just somehow survived the boredom of repeating the same loop a gazillion times. That said, the game is awesome in every other aspects imho.

Beat him on my 2nd try. You're probably trying to force the game to work souls style and overlooking several tools that you have in Nioh that you don't in Souls that make it vastly easier.

Are you using ki pulses? Do you have living water for all 3 stances? Are you using living weapon?

Are you trying to get in long combos? Lots of Nioh bosses like Onryoki you have to just kinda dart in, hit twice, dart out, over and over constantly dipping in and out of their range, not try to get one long damaging combo.

He really doesn't have that much HP. Maybe you've also neglected your weapon stats or something, which can be easy to do. Make sure you're updating your gear every so often with the things you pick up.

Good news is worst case scenario you can get certain magic that makes any boss pretty trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Giant Centipede is some goddamn horseshit, I tell you what. Why does a giant boss that has a huge fuckoff hitbox on the front of its model 90% of the time also get to be super fast and turn on a goddamn dime through its own body?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Giant Centipede is the easiest boss in the game (so far for me anyway).

If you block his moving attack he'll go into this long animation where he like rears his head back and gets ready to spit acid and you can just run up and hit him a few times and roll away before the attack comes down. Just run around the pillar near the de-AIDSifer in the center of the screen and he'll never be able to hit you until you want him to.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

why even bother co-oping

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is there some kind of charm or passive effect that heals over time?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any tips for bat boss I'm bad at game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Frankston posted:

Is there some kind of charm or passive effect that heals over time?

Hot springs do, and there's magic talismans that do. Oasis talisman throws an area effect of healing for you and your potential buddy, while rejuvenation talismans just heal yourself over time. May be a consumable too....

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Empress Brosephine posted:

Stay close to her so she does more of her melee attacks. Learn which are safer to dodge and which are safer to block, and when you can punish her and get hits in.

She's weak to water I think? Also use your living weapon.

Use needles and the ninja paralysis cure to prevent you from being frozen and getting murdered.

Mostly just takes practice to learn her tells, summon a buddy if you need help. There's a discord in the OP that has lots of friendly goons who will womp her good for you if you'd like. But respect if you try to go solo.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Buy shirukins or kunai in ninja tree. Throw when she flys.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Anyone else feel like the decision to lock skills behind quest progression was kind of poo poo?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Russian Remoulade posted:

Anyone else feel like the decision to lock skills behind quest progression was kind of poo poo?

I'm fine with it, its really just dojo missions, but they should all come like 1 or 2 acts before you get access to them :v:

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm fine with it, its really just dojo missions, but they should all come like 1 or 2 acts before you get access to them :v:

The part where those dojo missions don't appear without main quest progress is what bothered me. If I'm dumping all my point into Dex, just let me have all my cool ninja poo poo sooner rather than later.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks guys

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Russian Remoulade posted:

The part where those dojo missions don't appear without main quest progress is what bothered me. If I'm dumping all my point into Dex, just let me have all my cool ninja poo poo sooner rather than later.

Last tier of ninja is just upgrades to existing unlocks. You can get stuff after adept.

I think. I was excited to do the veteran dojo. Then looked and saw nothing but +3% damage upgrades.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I know there's a pseudo-visceral attack when enemies run out of stamina, but is there any backstab analog? Not being able to break spines like a Toblerone is making me sad.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Fuuuuuck forgetting to buy ammo between missions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I know there's a pseudo-visceral attack when enemies run out of stamina, but is there any backstab analog? Not being able to break spines like a Toblerone is making me sad.

There's a ninja skill that lets you do critical damage if from behind and they haven't noticed you. And there's a ninja scroll that makes you walk silently so you can do that to people, otherwise its pretty hard to sneak up on them.

But yeah, when you beat out all their Ki, if you hit them while they're standing you'll do a front stab animation, and if you hit them when they're on the ground you'll do a coup'de'grace ground stab on them. You can also beat them up as they get back up, if they're still alive.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Fuuuuuck forgetting to buy ammo between missions.

I really want that skill that says if you kill somebody in one shot you don't use ammo for exactly this reason, but it costs like 10 ninja points :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can also do the sneak attack if you sprint right up to enemies like a bat out of hell, if you do it while they're not facing you it gives you a split second. I've been able to do it pretty regularly with swords, not sure about the other weapons.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I really want that skill that says if you kill somebody in one shot you don't use ammo for exactly this reason, but it costs like 10 ninja points :(

Only works on arrows too. Which if you are a ninja you have strong rifle. Sooooooo.....

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a point where you can return to the first region after going to the second?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Is there a point where you can return to the first region after going to the second?

Whenever you want. Hit square to pull up workd map. Unless it unlocked at some story point I didnt notice.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Other then the Res scroll is any ninjutsu good against bosses? I have tons of ninjutsu power but poison/paralyze doesn't seem to affect bosses should I be getting the bombs instead?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Other then the Res scroll is any ninjutsu good against bosses? I have tons of ninjutsu power but poison/paralyze doesn't seem to affect bosses should I be getting the bombs instead?

Mega bomb is amazing. A good hit will do good damage and proc fire.

That said just got to Ogress and fire does not proc fast on her at all. And she can one shot my ninja.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 12, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Whenever you want. Hit square to pull up workd map. Unless it unlocked at some story point I didnt notice.

Oh, cool. I probably just missed it. I was expecting a boat icon.

Pigbottom posted:

It took me 40 tries. I'm really bad at this game but still, I think they gave the bosses too much hp. I didn't feel like I beat him co's I got better at the game, I just somehow survived the boredom of repeating the same loop a gazillion times. That said, the game is awesome in every other aspects imho.

Personally I think that's why I haven't been enjoying the bosses. Their amount of HP mixed with a lot of them having attacks that can pretty much one shot you. In Souls you generally take a much more satisfying chunk of health off so I end up almost getting bosses a lot more which creates an addictive loop. In Nioh I will have those times but a lot of the time they just kill me and I've barely plinked away at their huge health bars. That said I think part of it is that I just don't have the patience to fight something 40+ times right now so if a boss kills me 10 times I'll just summon and move on with the game. If I need to console my ego I can come back and try to solo everything on another run.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I was able to get to Bat Bitch while p drunk last night.

I forgot you can block bosses in this game so I look forward to hopefully beating her when I get off work.

Also I was pleasantly surprised that the cave doesn't despawn the yokai and Cyclops when you kill them in the cave before her. Think I'm gonna murder all them and try and snag a few levels before I battle her again.

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 12, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Once you've beat this game could you, in theory, new game + it with a friend full co-op style ?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If it helps, I'm finding that boss HP starts to feel a lot less insurmountable by the third region or so, so long as you do more than one hit per opening. Staying aggressive and Ki pulsing to keep attacking can really eat through boss HP bars quickly. I think the fourth region bosses I've fought so far took me like two minutes each, maybe?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Byolante posted:

For the life of me I can't kill onrikyo (the first boss). I completed all the dark souls games and bloodborne but this seems a fridge too far

If you've come from From games then Onryoki has some attacks that will feel counter-intuitive to dodge because you need to run, not dash/roll, from them. The first is his 360-degree ball spin, which can be dodged, but is easier to run from. Just be aware of where the walls are and make sure you're running to the furthest one, not just away from him. The second attack is in the second stage when he throws balls. This one must be run from, because it actually homes in on your position like a missile even if you dodge behind him. It cannot be dashed or rolled from, but if you run parallel to it then it will never hit. I personally think that attack is bullshit which is only acceptable because the boss is kind of weak. Fortunately, the game doesn't really pull that kind of trick again.

Otherwise, make sure you ki pulse to clear yokai realms or you won't have enough ki to dash/run. He gave me hell in the beta, but once I figured out the pulse and the run he's not so bad. Everything else is just standard attack baiting (Stand in front to get his forward slams, roll behind as he slams, do damage, run away because he will always spin when you are behind him. Try to be on the back right side, because he has a fast partial spin that can get you on the back left.)

Also, the first regions bosses are the hardest imo. Maybe I got good, or maybe I out-leveled the game by rarely losing bloodstains and doing all side content. But, after the optional final duel in the first region, I never died to a boss more than three times. Don't let the difficulty of the beginning bosses put you off the game though.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 12, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
All I know is that boat boss only took like 6 tries so I think I'm doing okay. I was also using a power pill and fire/water weapon charms to help my damage some.

edit: I just dodged the first and blocked the second of the 360 and in phase one usually had a pip of Ki left.

Let's just not talk about how many times I got wrecked by that oni on the rooftops.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What I dashed and rolled my way through that fight EZPZ

Never got hit by no homing balls but I was like 12 feet away at all times so whatevs

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah maybe distance is also a solution, but my Soulsborne brain forces me to stick my face right into every giant monster's backside.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah maybe distance is also a solution, but my Soulsborne brain forces me to stick my face right into every giant monster's backside.

It really seems like each boss has an optimal range you are supposed to fight them at.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Byolante posted:

For the life of me I can't kill onrikyo (the first boss). I completed all the dark souls games and bloodborne but this seems a fridge too far

Stay really close to him. When he swings the chains, you can block the chains more easily than the balls, so you can block if you're not able to get the dodge timing right. In general, a lot like Bloodborne, the best place to be in any boss fight is as close to the boss as possible. That's true of every very large boss I've fought, at least, though not necessarily the humanoid ones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

:same:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

I love how in the last chance twilight mission the game knows this and gave the boss some rear attacks if you hug her butt.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

havenwaters posted:

I love how in the last chance twilight mission the game knows this and gave the boss some rear attacks if you hug her butt.

Like all soulborne boss's after dark souls 1

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm 2/3rd's through the game according to the mission total, I don't want it to end :smith:.

Megasabin posted:

How do you know when you hit prestige caps for things?

Just check the Titles list. For example, each element has 3 titles for total damage done. So when I max out fire or whatever I'll just switch to another element.

CJacobs posted:

Fighting human enemies in this game is so miserable. Revenants and other human enemies are so block-happy that I spend the majority of fights with them clanging my weapons off of theirs for 0% damage and 100% wasted time. Is there anything I can do about this besides "do one hit and then dodge away intentionally so they drop the block"?

Yea the strategy for revenants seem to be attack once, wait until they drop their block and repeat. It kind of trivializes them.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

You can get Onrikyo in a loop if you get him stuck by his iron balls when he gets in his second phase. He keeps picking up the balls and trying to throw them at you. When that happens, run, don't roll, behind him, and start swinging. If you've unlocked fire talismans as well, they do extra damage to him, which helps greatly. He may do his jump attack or something else, but he went for the balls (:haw:) more often than not in my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Nioh - If you're having trouble, make him go for the balls