Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Christ, I don't really give a gently caress what you think.

There's one kodama in mission 5 that involves crossing three narrow planks, climbing up a ladder, snaking around a set of rooftops, then going behind a piece of broken debris that looks impassable, then snaking across the roofs of three other buildings to go to the far corner of the map where there is literally nothing else except that one kodama and an enemy to knock you into the water. I already had 8 of 9 and I didn't want to spend any more time looking for it

Dude, chill out, I'm. I'm not judging you. Play the game however you want. I use kodama sense on every single mission. I also don't think they are unfairly hidden.

I actually think the level design in this game is really, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Christ, I don't really give a gently caress what you think.

There's one kodama in mission 5 that involves crossing three narrow planks, climbing up a ladder, snaking around a set of rooftops, then going behind a piece of broken debris that looks impassable, then snaking across the roofs of three other buildings to go to the far corner of the map where there is literally nothing else except that one kodama and an enemy to knock you into the water. I already had 8 of 9 and I didn't want to spend any more time looking for it

But that whole level is about exploring the rooftops? And was really cool and good?

Snak posted:

I actually think the level design in this game is really, really good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The movement and camera style for this game is designed for combat and I never liked environmental hazards. I died hundreds of times in a duel but that was fun to me and I could feel myself figuring things out and getting better. Dying dozens of times because, whoops, there's a hole just pissed me off and I wanted to get out of the level as quickly as possible.

I mean, I admit I'm clumsy as gently caress. I'm doing that bridge sub-mission and I've already died dozens of times, not because I've been hit by the enemy but because I've fallen into the water. This is a personal taste thing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You'd probably hate Fromsoft games then because they actually aggressively try to bait you into falling off cliffs whereas Nioh pretty much just makes you fall once and usually it's into a pit with some loot so it's not even that malicious.

Tbh I am a klutz too and I almost never fall in this game really unless it's canned.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OK, I take it all back, I just fought a revenant and hooked him Roadhog-style into the water. This level is good

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Yodzilla posted:

So I'm around level 90 and have kind of a lovely problem. I've been rocking medium armor all game but now with Stamina at 15 and Skill at 10 there's pretty much no armor I can actually wear. All the light armor requires Skill of 12 or above and the medium armor's weight has crept up so high that an all medium set puts me over 70%. That honestly kinda sucks! I have no use for Stamina and you barely get any extra carrying capacity for each level you pump into it. Ugh.

Just finished my play session and was coming here to complain about this. I don't mind putting some points into Stam, but the armor is increasing in weight for the same tier faster than points in stamina are decreasing it. So all game I've been using a mix of heavy and medium armor staying in the green weight range and now medium armor is putting me into the yellow weight range. Pretty much no choice but to start using light armor to stay in the green which is going to be a huge toughness hit.

My helm that gives +40% toughness, which is around +30 toughness compared to the next best upgrade I could use, will cost 20mil to soulforge it from 70'ish to 97 :stare:. I think that pretty much means that is never happening, considering I just now got the 1.5mil title.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 12, 2017

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

katkillad2 posted:

They can drop sweet gear. Later game spoilers, the glory they drop is a currency for a new shop that will open up that lets you buy items, most importantly book of reincarnation if they become too expensive at the other shop, and also poses and transformations so you don't have to look like the guy from The Witcher.

Initially started with Daiba-Washi, the bird, for evasion Ki usage but when I hit the prestige cap for that element I switched to Enko, the lion. I think I just capped the fire challenge though so time to switch again to a different element.

How do you know when you hit prestige caps for things?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I finally had a moment where I had to stop after getting too frustrated. The enemy layout on "The Fallen Onmyo Mages" is such a loving slog.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I've managed to make time for Wednesday to finally purchase Nioh and play all evening. I'm so excited, all the public tests were so drat good.

In case someone wants to watch more Nioh, my friend started a first time playthrough with all menu hopping edited out. (It's really good)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIzRoQhjxJ4

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 12, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

I've managed to make time for Wednesday to finally purchase Nioh and play all evening. I'm so excited, all the public tests were so drat good.

It is a very good game and you will enjoy it despite its flaws.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
For the life of me I can't kill onrikyo (the first boss). I completed all the dark souls games and bloodborne but this seems a fridge too far

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Is it recommended you get at least 10 in all stats before focusing on 1 or 2 for your build? Or is that a waste?

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Zaphod42 posted:

What guardian spirit is everybody rocking currently?

I'm bat-man.

Suzaku. Which is absolutely insane with high spirit and guardian spirit talismans. And without them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am using the rat because it makes casting magic take a reasonable amount of time instead of ten years.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Thumbtacks posted:

is the warrior of the east armor just straight up better for spear users than red demon? the red demon set is solid but the warrior of the east one seems a bit more designed for dedicated spear users. i guess you could theoretically go 5 pieces of WotE and 2 of Red Demon but the only way to do that is to have two spears equipped and that seems unnecessary.

The warrior of the east is freakishly heavy, you need 19 stamina to get to just C agility

That being said, C agility isn't a death sentence like the fat roll in dark souls. You take way less damage and superarmor through most attacks

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HellCopter posted:

I was so excited to go deep, deep in Ninjitsu. Pumped dexterity, got the entire Iga Ninja set in purple. Had a Kusarigama doing 400+ damage and enough Ninjitsu points to get anything I wanted.

Turns out the Kusarigama is awkward against non-human enemies, and no force on earth can make Ninjitsu do respectable damage. Back to the sword with me.
Should I avoid going deep into magic, for this same reason? I love the utility stuff and want to like the damaging stuff but I've been burned before.

It is? I found the kusarigama's high and low stances were both excellent against yokai, particularly if you can reliably switch between them.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Just did the spider boss first try in about 3 minutes, wow that was laughably easy. I was expected a second phase or something but nope. Easiest boss in the game so far.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

katkillad2 posted:

Just finished my play session and was coming here to complain about this. I don't mind putting some points into Stam, but the armor is increasing in weight for the same tier faster than points in stamina are decreasing it. So all game I've been using a mix of heavy and medium armor staying in the green weight range and now medium armor is putting me into the yellow weight range. Pretty much no choice but to start using light armor to stay in the green which is going to be a huge toughness hit.

My helm that gives +40% toughness, which is around +30 toughness compared to the next best upgrade I could use, will cost 20mil to soulforge it from 70'ish to 97 :stare:. I think that pretty much means that is never happening, considering I just now got the 1.5mil title.

Haha yyyyyyep. I think the answer might be to craft a high level set from scratch from a lighter weight tier. Still it really sucks and is a real weird decision.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
C'mon guy, I got poo poo to do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMNne3IYwlM

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
That water blob hosed my day up until I remembered that fire mask video posted and then I kicked his poo poo in with the living weapon for the finishing touch before he got too hellish.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The first medium set I had to boost stamina for was Warrior of the West, but I didn't have to boost it much. I'll be sad if I have to make stamina one of my main stats to keep using medium armor. Having solid protection and Ki efficiency without huge stat investment is like the only reason to use medium armor over heavy. gently caress it, I'll just forge a high-level young blood set if it comes to that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really want to use this Book of Reincarnation I have sitting around to respec and test the difference between going all-in on Heart or splitting between Heart and Skill when it comes to katana damage. The only thing stopping me is that I really don't want to have to re-spend all of those skill points...

Deified Data posted:

The first medium set I had to boost stamina for was Warrior of the West, but I didn't have to boost it much. I'll be sad if I have to make stamina one of my main stats to keep using medium armor. Having solid protection and Ki efficiency without huge stat investment is like the only reason to use medium armor over heavy. gently caress it, I'll just forge a high-level young blood set if it comes to that.

I'm level 76 in the fourth region and I still haven't found a medium set as heavy as Warrior of the West.

That said, I also haven't noticed a huge difference between light and medium armor at all. I have the stats to use both now and the difference in damage/Ki damage reduction is smaller than you might think. We're talking like 7-8% difference on normal damage reduction. Not too sure about Ki damage reduction, but I haven't noticed my Ki getting demolished any worse than it does in medium armor. And on top of that, the difference between A and B-rank Agility isn't gigantic, either. I think it really just comes down to using whichever armor gives you set bonuses you like.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 12, 2017

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I can tell you at least up to 50 points the weapon's main stat still scales better than any combination of stats. At that point it starts to get closer, but you could have all 5s and 50 in heart for a damage katana build.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Modest Mao posted:

I can tell you at least up to 50 points the weapon's main stat still scales better than any combination of stats. At that point it starts to get closer, but you could have all 5s and 50 in heart for a damage katana build.

Yeah, it'd definitely be better, but I'm curious how much better. The reason I mention Skill is because it also does a good job of scaling three other weapons (spears, dual katanas, and kusarigama), plus it's needed for light armor so I'm leveling it a bit anyway. Since I'm doing a katana/spear build, I'm curious whether the difference between, for example, 50 Heart/15 Skill and 35 Heart/30 Skill is big enough that it overcomes the additional spear scaling Skill provides.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

HellCopter posted:

I was so excited to go deep, deep in Ninjitsu. Pumped dexterity, got the entire Iga Ninja set in purple. Had a Kusarigama doing 400+ damage and enough Ninjitsu points to get anything I wanted.

Turns out the Kusarigama is awkward against non-human enemies, and no force on earth can make Ninjitsu do respectable damage. Back to the sword with me.
Should I avoid going deep into magic, for this same reason? I love the utility stuff and want to like the damaging stuff but I've been burned before.

Kusarigama high stance light attack is great against everything. The fast attack speed combined with the debuffs from magic/ninjutsu feel awesome.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Got a kusarigama with agility scaling. gently caress yeah ninja time. Rerolled the other stats. Got blue life recovery 134 on kill. And just rolled close combat no reduction 10%.

Play with reforge people. I had enough materials to reforge 100s of times.

If you find a weapon with a good stat. Elemental damage or whatever. Reroll the dumb 3% armor drop bullshit.

Pretty great game.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 12, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, ready for some soft caps information? I just bit the bullet and used a Book of Reincarnation.

Guess what? I'm pretty sure there are no soft caps for weapon scaling. All the way up to 82 Heart (as high as I could take it), I was getting anywhere between 1-4 damage per point on my Raikiri. It went up and down, but never stopped. If you're curious whether it ever slowed down, I also tested 38 levels into Heart vs. 76 levels into Heart. With 38 levels into Heart (so, 44 Heart), I was getting +90 damage on my Raikiri. With 76 levels into Heart (so, 82 Heart, and twice as many levels into Heart), I was getting +174 damage on my Raikiri. That's almost double, which means that the scaling didn't slow down an appreciable amount between 44 and 82 Heart.

But here's another fun thing: the difference between 82 Heart/5 Skill and 6 Heart/81 Skill is 24 damage. Meanwhile, investing in Skill also gets you good scaling on spears, kusarigama, and dual katanas.

So... make of that what you will.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

There are times when I level that the secondary skill drops +3 damage to my weapon plus other bonus's when the primary stat gives a +1.

I think this rewards well roundedness x10 more then dark souls. +24 when your doing 600 damage probably. Isn't great for losing all those levels.

The big caps are on magic/ninja prepare capacity.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 12, 2017

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Haha ok wow someone give me the secrets for this optional duel at the end of the first area because christ I'm not sure how to even begin approaching this

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Hardest thing about snow lady is her framerate attack

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fighting human enemies in this game is so miserable. Revenants and other human enemies are so block-happy that I spend the majority of fights with them clanging my weapons off of theirs for 0% damage and 100% wasted time. Is there anything I can do about this besides "do one hit and then dodge away intentionally so they drop the block"?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Fighting human enemies in this game is so miserable. Revenants and other human enemies are so block-happy that I spend the majority of fights with them clanging my weapons off of theirs for 0% damage and 100% wasted time. Is there anything I can do about this besides "do one hit and then dodge away intentionally so they drop the block"?

Kick them.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Byolante posted:

For the life of me I can't kill onrikyo (the first boss). I completed all the dark souls games and bloodborne but this seems a fridge too far

It took me 40 tries. I'm really bad at this game but still, I think they gave the bosses too much hp. I didn't feel like I beat him co's I got better at the game, I just somehow survived the boredom of repeating the same loop a gazillion times. That said, the game is awesome in every other aspects imho.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Meiteron posted:

Haha ok wow someone give me the secrets for this optional duel at the end of the first area because christ I'm not sure how to even begin approaching this

What are you speccing in - onmyodo, ninjutsu, or swordplay? Couple of basic tips, though - bait and punish his attacks (but don't get greedy), and sprint in a wide circle around him when he brings out his little doggie (who may charge multiple times in later parts of the fight, so only stop moving when you're sure he's gone).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Most if not all weapon have attacks to punish blocking. Sword you can swipe their ki away. Others you can kick.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

How? You need to do at least one hit of your combo to kick but if it bounces off their block it doesn't count.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh, and one other thing I tested yesterday: the difference between light and medium armor amounts to a big, fat "who gives a gently caress?"

So, I fought an optional boss version of Onryoki in the third region. This version of Onryoki is way stronger than the first boss version, to the point of taking away like 75% of your Life in a single hit. I figured he'd be a prime test subject to see the difference between light armor and medium armor's damage reduction. So I got hit by the same swipe attack wearing full Red Demon armor (light) and full Warrior of the West armor (medium). Worth noting the Warrior of the West armor had like 10 less "Defensive Multiplier" but I have no goddamn idea what that stat does.

Light armor: 1550 damage per swipe
Medium armor: 1440 damage per swipe

That's a roughly 7.5% difference. Notably, that's about what you get if you compare the "damage reduction" stats on the armor, so I guess I could've just trusted that. A full set of light armor gives you 8% damage reduction, while a full set of medium armor gives you 15% damage reduction. Frankly, I just can't care about that degree of difference. Can you? If so, go for medium armor. I can imagine that, in some situations, it'll let you survive one more hit, which isn't something to sneeze at. But so does joining the Tokugawa clan, so :shrug: (I think we can chalk up the extra .5% difference to the difference in Defensive Multiplier, maybe?)

Now, I wasn't able to really test the difference in Toughness between the two. It's worth noting that a full set of medium armor nets you a bunch more Toughness than light armor, to the tune of about 60-70 more (depending on the set). Toughness says it reduces the Ki damage you take and makes you more resistant to guard breaks. Thing is, I didn't notice a huge difference in the Ki damage I was taking, but I was taking a ton either way, so this mega-Onryoki wasn't a good test subject for that. And he'd break my guard either way, too.

I also haven't noticed a giant difference in my Ki regeneration and dodging speed between A-rank Agility (what I have in light armor) and B-rank Agility (what I have in medium armor). The difference is definitely there, but it's not nearly as noticeable as the difference in dodge speed you run into between B-rank and C-rank Agility.

In short, the difference is noticeable but not huge, and probably won't make a huge difference in how you play.

I've noted before that Skill is an awesome stat, and you level that for light armor. Skill has C to C+ scaling for katanas, spears, and kusarigama, and B+ scaling for dual katanas, so it's an extremely versatile stat. But guess what? So is Strength, and you level that for medium armor. Strength also scales katanas and spears fairly well (spears have better Strength than Skill scaling generally, and katanas have better Skill than Strength scaling generally, but it's close enough not to make or break you). Dual katanas also have Strength scaling. And so do axes. So if you were considering light armor because leveling Skill scales a whole lot of weapons, I'm sorry, but so does Strength, so that's not very helpful as a decision-maker. And you're going to need to level Stamina somewhat for either type of armor, anyway. I've found that I need 8 or 9 Stamina to stay in A-rank Agility with the heavier pieces of light armor, and 11-12 Stamina to stay in B-rank Agility with heavier medium armor (like Warrior of the West). Again, not a huge difference.

So, conclusion: find out if light or medium armor has set bonuses you like better and build for that type of armor. Ultimately, that's going to be much more important. Or, gently caress it, get both Strength and Skill to 13 (which I'm pretty sure is the highest armor requirement) and use both. It'll "cost" you 7 or 8 levels, depending on your starting stat choices, but really, who cares about that many levels? The difference between 66 Heart/13 Strength/13 Skill and 74 Heart/13 Skill in katana damage was 3 loving damage and in return you double your armor options so you decide.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 12, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

How? You need to do at least one hit of your combo to kick but if it bounces off their block it doesn't count.

Depends on what weapons. Kicks do ki damage through the block though. The kurisagama has a kick from block. Sounds like you are on dual katana.

You can scoot back and rifle them in the face. You can set up a parry.

Basically do something thats not walking up to them and mashing square.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Meiteron posted:

Lifeseal amulets make his Ki regen more manageable and helps you get some grapples off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The ninja level was so drat good. Fighting them is very fun. One on one is simple. As soon as 2 are in the room I freak out because they are little furious glass cannons that can gently caress you up instantly.

Dual katana yokai are so much tougher then every other one.