Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

fadam posted:

The Steam version of this still runs through Uplay, right? I'm trying to become less depressed about buying a Uplay copy

Yeah, the whole thing goes through Uplay. Which, while I still wouldn't call it good by any measure, has at least become reasonably usable at this point.

Garrand posted:

It's fast but it's kinda short ranged. I main Berserker and don't get hit by it very often. Frankly the Warden and the Warlord have more annoying guardbreaks. Of course, I haven't figured out the timing on any of the guard-break breaks so take that as you will.

That's a big part of what fucks me up. I've gotten used to the parry and deflect timings but I always guard break too early.

The additional issue is that she also gets a non-counterable guardbreak on a Parry. Most characters only get a single light or heavy guaranteed after a Parry, which usually translates to about 1 bar of health. Peacekeeper takes approximately 30-40% of the total lifebar of most characters instead, which is somewhat out of line compared to the rest of the cast. Especially considering she's still got a very decent moveset even without the stab.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Haroshia posted:

The problem with feints at lovely low levels of play is players don't react to them anyways. In fact I'd say this is like, 90% of the levels of play. You're better learning proper parry timing since NOBODY knows how to deal with a parry/throw chain.

I've heard they're nerfing bleed. Also, Warden has a level 2 passive feat that negates all bleed damage, which is nice for 4v4s.

Hell, just throw mixups really puts away new players. Alternating between guard breaks, different directions of attacks and an unblockable like the Warden's shoulder bash or the Warlord's headbutt is my bread and butter for a new opponent. If they can get out of the mix-up, then I will give them more respect. Parry's are great and waaaay easier to land than something like Dark Souls, though they only help you win rather than insta-kill the opponent.

Feints mind games though are really cool.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Perestroika posted:

The additional issue is that she also gets a non-counterable guardbreak on a Parry. Most characters only get a single light or heavy guaranteed after a Parry, which usually translates to about 1 bar of health. Peacekeeper takes approximately 30-40% of the total lifebar of most characters instead, which is somewhat out of line compared to the rest of the cast. Especially considering she's still got a very decent moveset even without the stab.

Technically only the berserker gets an uncounterable guardbreak on a deflect, peacemaker gets an uncounterable shank on a deflect. I could be wrong.

edit: by shank i mean a single jab, not the triple stab

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 12, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

GodofGravity posted:

Has anyone on PS4 been able to pre-load the retail version yet? I got an email from Amazon with my download code and a note saying it would be available for pre-load 2/11/17 after 9pm PST. But, when I put my code in, both on the PSN website and on my PS4, it tells me the code is not valid or has expired.

Preload isn't is up but the PSN store should always accept your code immediately if it's valid. I'd contact support asap.

edit: actually preload is up but that doesn't change the comment above.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 12, 2017

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

The cool thing about Peacekeepr being so ridiculous is that it lets Warlord fly under the radar. He's all I've played open beta and all of his abilities are great. Compared to like, Kensei, it's night-and-day. Kensei gets like, a good guard break. And an uninterruptible that's so easy to parry it's mostly just used to feint. Warlord on the other hand has a ton of useful skills that you can mix up and be unpredictable with. Fast light attacks and EVERY heavy attack is uninterruptible and comes with hyper armor. If we trade shots, I always win playing Warlord because I take less damage and interrupt the other guys attacks. His don't interrupt mine though!

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 12, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Technically only the berserker gets an uncounterable guardbreak on a deflect, peacemaker gets an uncounterable shank on a deflect. I could be wrong.

I'm talking about the parry (i.e. hit heavy attack as you block), not the deflect. As it stands, parrying is actually more beneficial for her than going for a deflect.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!

Cowcaster posted:

no you're right, but deflects and parries are different things. If you're peacekeeper and you parry, then you are basically guaranteed a guardbreak while the opponent is recovering.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Perestroika posted:

I'm talking about the parry (i.e. hit heavy attack as you block), not the deflect. As it stands, parrying is actually more beneficial for her than going for a deflect.

Well poo poo that's dumb. Seems like the whole point of giving assassins deflects is to incentivize them over parries.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Cowcaster posted:

Well poo poo that's dumb. Seems like the whole point of giving assassins deflects is to incentivize them over parries.

Zerker has a good deflect; peacemaker's deflect is very underwhelming. I've died a number of times player her defensively with deflect where I'll get the deflect->stab off but they heavy attack through my stab anyway and I die.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I finally figured out how to gently caress up Nobushis on my Raider. Pretty much all their quick attacks are very thrust oriented and can be side stepped into a stunning tap. It was a good series of duals to end the beta on.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I got to push some guys off of cliffs in Brawl and make them yell "FOR HONOR NO HONOR gently caress YOU" so I think it was a successful beta

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Jeremor posted:

I got to push some guys off of cliffs in Brawl and make them yell "FOR HONOR NO HONOR gently caress YOU" so I think it was a successful beta

Call me when you loving bumrush execute a dude from behind in a 4v4 and have him begin spamming chat with "NO HONOR FAGIT 1v1 ME I'LL BEAT YOU FUK U GANGBANGS SUCK FUK U". Then beat him 1v1 next round and watch him cordpull.

Haroshia fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 12, 2017

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Doing some 4v4 elimination with buddies, I don't know why they thought it was a good idea to have a matchup start at or on an open bridge. Dodge to the side and guard break, whelp fights over let's go help a friend.

Like, it's fine in general but I think that they shouldn't start out players facing each other on a spot like that.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 12, 2017

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Garrand posted:

Doing some 4v4 elimination with buddies, I don't know why they thought it was a good idea to have a matchup start at or on an open bridge. Dodge to the side and guard break, whelp fights over let's go help a friend.

There's counterplay around that. If you get teched you fall off, or a smart person will see it coming and spam light attacks.

It's more bullshit that a Marauder can charge you off a cliff from across the loving map

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

I finally figured out how to gently caress up Nobushis on my Raider. Pretty much all their quick attacks are very thrust oriented and can be side stepped into a stunning tap. It was a good series of duals to end the beta on.

Similarly, was dueling with my friend with me as Nobushi and him as Peacemaker. When he managed to dodge all three of the 3-hit-combo (in range) I actually was screaming in excitement for him because that was just so cool :allears:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Haroshia posted:

There's counterplay around that. If you get teched you fall off, or a smart person will see it coming and spam light attacks.

It's more bullshit that a Marauder can charge you off a cliff from across the loving map

Yeah but that just means you can't be the first person to attack, which leads to a guard stalemate which just leads to guardbreak throw anyway. Like no matter what happens somebody is going to get thrown or you just turn around and walk away.

I guess if you start throwing feints in there it changes things up but I don't know how feints interact with guard breaks because I'm terrible and incapable of actually doing feints.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Garrand posted:

Yeah but that just means you can't be the first person to attack, which leads to a guard stalemate which just leads to guardbreak throw anyway. Like no matter what happens somebody is going to get thrown or you just turn around and walk away.

I guess if you start throwing feints in there it changes things up but I don't know how feints interact with guard breaks because I'm terrible and incapable of actually doing feints.

Oh I'm not saying somebody ISN'T gonna get thrown. It's going to be a short exchange. I'm just saying you need to consider it before you fight there. It's more frustrating in 2v2s when you fight there because they block off your ability to NOT fight on the loving bridge.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Garrand posted:

Like, it's fine in general but I think that they shouldn't start out players facing each other on a spot like that.

You can turn around and force your opponent to come to you, off the bridge. I personally love knocking fools off edges, but when someone does that I respect it and just go fight them in a 'safe' spot.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Looking to buy this through steam but not sure if it will link to my already-existing Uplay account, anyone done it / know how to link them beforehand?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

quote:

nioh has all of those better and not very lame with a real game to play now instead of moba trash and pvp coming soon

for honor has dark souls with a direction indicator at half speed and dota mechanics

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Garrand posted:

feints get you guard broken but able to tech out the guard break iirc

but if you see the guard break or predict they're going to go through with it and let your heavy rip, it'll counter the guard break

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Just did an hour or so of 2v2s with a couple good dudes that I tried to match each round. Got comeuppance by throwing them both off a cliff on the penultimate match. Very awesome beta

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The game really could use a FFA mode or something you can do with a odd number of friends, got 5 people? tough poo poo.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

nioh has all of those better and not very lame with a real game to play now instead of moba trash and pvp coming soon

for honor has dark souls with a direction indicator at half speed and dota mechanics

"gently caress apples, I like oranges" :downs:

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Beta was good except for the entire SA thread of goons who wouldn't even toy with the thought of playing together.

Every hero is fun. Zerker is more fun than the other assassins, but they're leagues better than zerker at their core.

Definitely buying at a discount but there's not nearly enough to warrant paying $60 of my ding dong dollars on this. I'm also kind of turned off by the sea of mongoloids defending peacekeeper and nobushi as "definitely balanced as long as you know how to fight them".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Haroshia posted:

Hey don't quote it like that it makes them look like my words!!!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Dang, is the beta over already?

Edit - Guess so :(

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey don't quote it like that it makes them look like my words!!!

Source your quotes then.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Kaddish posted:

Dang, is the beta over already?

Edit - Guess so :(

Sorry?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Haroshia posted:

more like 'gently caress applies, I like oranges 1.6 that haven't been released yet' do to nioh literally not having pvp atm

I loved me some Dark Souls pvp but unless Nioh has far superior netcode, lol at anyone taking that very seriously. Maybe that's why I roll my eyes at people complaining about For Honor netcode; yall motherfuckers ain't lived until you've been sliced by an 8 foot long katana from 20 feet away and then are backstabbed from just as far, in the face.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 12, 2017

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Beta was good except for the entire SA thread of goons who wouldn't even toy with the thought of playing together.

Every hero is fun. Zerker is more fun than the other assassins, but they're leagues better than zerker at their core.

Definitely buying at a discount but there's not nearly enough to warrant paying $60 of my ding dong dollars on this. I'm also kind of turned off by the sea of mongoloids defending peacekeeper and nobushi as "definitely balanced as long as you know how to fight them".

Nobushi? The gently caress? I've never even touched Nobushi but I destroy every one I see. In what possible way could they be considered OP? Or are you saying they're underpowered?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Haroshia posted:

Source your quotes then.

Normally I do but it's not good to source other SA threads. Leads to drama.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Garrand posted:

Nobushi? The gently caress? I've never even touched Nobushi but I destroy every one I see. In what possible way could they be considered OP? Or are you saying they're underpowered?

A lot of Nobushi just run around like dickless anime losers then poke for bleed damage and kite. It's infuriating to play against.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Normally I do but it's not good to source other SA threads. Leads to drama.

:yikes:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Nobushi is punishing as gently caress but not the hardest hero to fight. I think in general the gameplay is pretty well balanced, could use some tweaks I'm sure (like bleed damage in general) but it's solid.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Psycho Society posted:

Nobushi is punishing as gently caress but not the hardest hero to fight. I think in general the gameplay is pretty well balanced, could use some tweaks I'm sure (like bleed damage in general) but it's solid.

I think I can agree with this. I still don't understand how to fight warlords though.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Is it not? I get a Uplay message now asking me to link it to my Uplay account with a code.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Garrand posted:

Nobushi's entire kit is designed around playing keep away. So you'd think her weakness is getting close to her, but it's really more of a mild inconvenience to her because she has plenty of tools to make space again. Getting parried as Nobushi is also completely safe because it puts you out of range of grabs and most attacks.

Just because there a lot of bad players who play a certain character doesn't mean the character doesn't need to be tweaked. She's disproportionately more soul-draining to fight than nearly any other hero. Anyone who says she's not that bad honestly hasn't played very much and they're opinions are bad.

I don't think anyone is monstrously overpowered, but there's a couple things about PK and Nobushi that place them at S-tier considering player skill is equal.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Most of the times when I die in 2v2 fights in dominion its because my lockon decides to pick the wrong enemy repeatedly and i have to start with half health.

This game is so much better in duels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah the beta's over for now. More games really need to do something like that, made me really want to get a game that otherwise wouldn't have even been on my radar other than "oh another mount and blade type game"