Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Phone posted:

Aftermarket gauges are largely trash until you're spending $300 per gauge and even then you're better off just buying a decent dash replacement that you can program.

Oh god, this. From experience, the Longacre AccuTech stepper gauges are the cheapest I'll use on anything I care about, and at this stage of things I can't see doing less than a dash in a race car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Phone posted:

Auto meter's senders are terribad.

Idk how much Microsquirts are these days. I'm sure second hand MS2 Basics are a few hundred.

Also, you missed my giant "if" and took issue with it. Like, "if you have an aftermarket ECU, clicking a checkbox is the easiest option". You seemed to have missed that part.

Aftermarket gauges are largely trash until you're spending $300 per gauge and even then you're better off just buying a decent dash replacement that you can program.

Also, drilling and tapping the back of the head is totally easy with all of the room you have back there.

Good backpedal.

Options exist that are/aren't phone approved if you really care that much to watch it. :shrug: Personally I wouldn't worry about it that much unless you're tracking or something, which case you probably already rerouted the coolant and could easily put in the sender in the upper rad hose. You can still do this stock but it's not really the worst case temp (back vs front) in the engine.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Larrymer posted:

Good backpedal.

Options exist that are/aren't phone approved if you really care that much to watch it. :shrug: Personally I wouldn't worry about it that much unless you're tracking or something, which case you probably already rerouted the coolant and could easily put in the sender in the upper rad hose. You can still do this stock but it's not really the worst case temp (back vs front) in the engine.

Back pedal? OK, bub.

e: a single LED is all you need for water temp

Phone fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 8, 2017

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Larrymer posted:

Easier to install a real water temp gauge.
Pretty dumb in a DD. The correct answer is he fixes his problem and stops caring about it.

Edit: And all the gauges you linked are trash.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha yeah for a DD all you need is a temp gauge that says good/bad. If it's bad, throw parts at it until it's good :v:

[e] LED ftw phone

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 9, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

destructo posted:

Pretty dumb in a DD. The correct answer is he fixes his problem and stops caring about it.

Edit: And all the gauges you linked are trash.

That's pretty much what I suggested above, but the guy asked about gauges and I answered.

Those gauges aren't any worse than the stock one and will give a more accurate temp. I'm not a huge fan of either of those gauge brands (Autometer/ prosport) but they're good enough for the price, especially if you insist on putting one in a DD and just need something that tells you more than "cool" or "boiling."

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

So linearize the stock gauge seems like the best option. Not a fan of aftermarket gauges, and swapping the ecu is not happening until 140hp isn't enough and I put a supercharger on it :v:

Not a fan of turbocharging a track day that will also do double duty as a fun summer car/daily driver.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You need an ECU to hit 140hp (wheel) :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Phone posted:

You need an ECU to hit 140hp (wheel) :v:

:downsrim:

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

I was years behind in reading this thread, was getting some new tires yesterday and I was reading some posts about the wrecks you've guys had. I left the shop and immediately a lady crashed into my wheel well. Possibly going to be a total loss. Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I saw a lotus elise in the snow today. I watched him get on the interstate :ohdear:

This is the first lotus I've ever seen in this state for what it's worth

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I feel like an MR setup wouldn't be too bad in the snow, especially with good tires.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cobra Commander posted:

I was years behind in reading this thread, was getting some new tires yesterday and I was reading some posts about the wrecks you've guys had. I left the shop and immediately a lady crashed into my wheel well. Possibly going to be a total loss. Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Which corner? If you have the space, buying it back and either fixing it or parting it out isn't the worst option in the world.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

A MIRACLE posted:

I feel like an MR setup wouldn't be too bad in the snow, especially with good tires.

Just never lift.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Phone posted:

Which corner? If you have the space, buying it back and either fixing it or parting it out isn't the worst option in the world.

Front drivers wheel well. It's a 2000 and my top is beyond salvageable. My clutch has a weird popping click sort of sound when you press the pedal sometimes. Can't figure out what is happening.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I have purchased a 2013 Miata. There are like zero bells/whistles. I am a novice when it comes to doing car poo poo, but I really wanna replace the stereo unit with something bluetooth-accessible, and possibly replace the speakers. How do I get started on this journey? Anything special I need to know about Miata audio?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

A MIRACLE posted:

I did it a few times in my old mr2s with not great tires(never really snows in Seattle so I mostly run all seasons) and it wasn't too bad. I put about 100lbs of ballast into the frunk which helped a bit. Without the extra weight it was really easy to get started but not so great at stopping or turning.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

signalnoise posted:

I have purchased a 2013 Miata. There are like zero bells/whistles. I am a novice when it comes to doing car poo poo, but I really wanna replace the stereo unit with something bluetooth-accessible, and possibly replace the speakers. How do I get started on this journey? Anything special I need to know about Miata audio?

Generic car stereo install post (never done it in an NC miata):

Easiest is go to crutchfield.com and pick out one you like. They include all the hardware (dash pieces, wiring, steering wheel controls adapters, etc) that you need. It's usually cheaper to go through them for all that vs. buying the parts individually on Amazon I've found. Then, find a guide on youtube on how to disassemble your dash and pull the old radio out. Either get a soldering iron or crimpers (wildly debated, crimps are supposed to be better if they're good crimps vs. a soldered joint which is more brittle and not good against vibration...however I just solder stuff and haven't had issues. I have a lovely crimper :v:) to connect the radio harness wires to the included adapter harness and you're done. Just follow the wire colors in the instructions, it's one of the easier things you can do to a car. Running a microphone/aux cables/etc is a little more work if your stereo has that functionality. I generally put my mics right behind the steering wheel with some double sided tape and you have to only remove minimal (if any) parts of the dash to get it there.

I know having a bose system can gently caress you up since the ohm rating of the speakers are different than like 99% of car audio stuff you can buy. Watch out for that and read up on what people generally do if that's the case.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Also buy plastic trim remover tools.

Oh wow though, I looked up the radio removal out of curiosity. How on earth did they manage to make it more complicated than the NA install? That's ridiculous.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

So definitely get the tools, and yeah crutchfield has decent prices, free shipping, and free bonus gear. I'll definitely buy from them.

I was also thinking of adding all the poo poo it's missing. Power locks, for example, a backup camera, that kind of stuff. I plan to do as much on this car by myself as I can, and make it my baby. Is there any kind of aftermarket poo poo I just should not do on my own and leave it to a pro?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

signalnoise posted:

I was also thinking of adding all the poo poo it's missing. Power locks, for example, a backup camera, that kind of stuff. I plan to do as much on this car by myself as I can, and make it my baby. Is there any kind of aftermarket poo poo I just should not do on my own and leave it to a pro?

Power locks isn't too hard, you'll wanna buy a half decent kit though because actuators in the cheap kit I bought didn't last too long. For new circuits I quite like those fuse tap things, no need to splice wires and mess up factory stuff. A cheap multi-meter isn't a bad idea either if you're going to be doing electrical stuff.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

signalnoise posted:

So definitely get the tools, and yeah crutchfield has decent prices, free shipping, and free bonus gear. I'll definitely buy from them.

Wait, you can get an NC with manual locks?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Backup camera on a miata? :psyduck:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Wibla posted:

I have a feeling anyone with the new ND retractable hard top is gonna need it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Wibla posted:

GEMorris posted:

I have a feeling anyone with the new ND retractable hard top is gonna need it.

It is the soft top, but honestly it's just something I've become accustomed to in rentals for newer cars as it lets me get that much closer to the thing behind me without guessing how close I am. And the rear window on the soft top is tiny to me. It's completely unnecessary with the top down though, I agree.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I find backup cameras to be harder to use than just looking TBH

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want cameras all over the car because turning heads is for plebes.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I guess maybe I'm just fat

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I have never owned a miata that the rear window was clear enough to see anything but blobs.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I want cameras all over the car because turning heads is for plebes.

Same but also because that nc blind spot in the left right corners is aggravating af

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I'm almost more offended by the thought that you need power locks in a Miata. It's teeny and you shouldn't be locking it anyway.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm new to all this and I don't know :ohdear:

I'm coming from the world of sedans with automatic everything

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did you buy an automatic Miata?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My NB allegedly has power locks, but the fob doesn't really work. I can't say I've ever wished they worked.

Now my CRV didn't have working locks when I bought it. I built a whole new wiring harness from scratch and ran it through the door to replace the broken pins. That job was worth it, having power locks on a wagon is awesome.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Did you buy an automatic Miata?

:ohdear:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Well not automatic everything. My last car was a Mazda3 manual 6 speed. Automatic transmissions remove that connected feeling between me and the road. I bought a 5 speed manual 2013 Miata sport with no options. So all the little conveniences inside the car are gone. WHO EVEN USES CDS ANYMORE?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:psyduck: automatic Miata?

Also, aren't the power window mechanism on the Miata about as heavy as the manual one? And how much of a heresy is it to have a Miata with ABS? Or power locks?

It's the middle of February, I live in :norway: and I loving can't wait to get my Miata out of storage :aaaaa:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Embrace lightness

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

OK, so what comforts and securities would you put in something with only power windows and AC, aside from a rad audio system?

This is gonna be my first foray into car modifications, I have ideas but they are usually poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I wouldn't put anything rad into a convertible, that's just asking for it to be stolen from it. Put in a decent basic stereo, put on some good tires, and drive it while grinning ear to ear.