Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

Hell yes, thanks

You can tell what class an armor is by its stat requirements. Body/Skill is light, Body/Strength is medium, Strength/Stamina is heavy.

There's some differences in damage reduction between the armor classes. The difference between light and heavy is noticeable, but the difference between light and medium is pretty small.

So does it work like DS where being at a certain weight gives you some sort of bonus? Besides run speed I haven't really noticed a big difference in dodging in Light or Heavy armor. It just seems like regardless of my build it would be a better idea to just always wear heavy armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bombadilillo posted:

If you light the torches theres no extra enemies.

I mainly used it to switch to his arms when he does the slam attack, the orbs at the end of his arms are weak points

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ethiser posted:

To the bottom left of the armor's picture there are also three little vertical pips that fill in to show what class an armor is.

Does it matter if I wear 4 light and 1 medium? Just the agility %

Agility scaling A is 13-15% damage bonus with A agility. Fyi for my ninjabros out there.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

And I've seen people talking about the different rarities of items, even named stuff. Like I have a Raikiri that's blue, but you can get purple ones? Can you reforge blues into purples, or do you just have to hope for a drop?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Specifically the Raikiri you get the smith text for when you get it so forge until you hit a good purple.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

And I've seen people talking about the different rarities of items, even named stuff. Like I have a Raikiri that's blue, but you can get purple ones? Can you reforge blues into purples, or do you just have to hope for a drop?

You can get purple drops of named weapons yeah. Boost your luck. Or forge and hope for a good purple

You cannot reforge blue into purple. Purple can have a poo poo purple skill. Which you then cant change.

You CAN reforge yellow or blue traits on weapons you WILL NOT get a yellow or blue replacement. Its luck of the reforge. But you can sit there for a long time getting the perfect weapon.

So if you are grinding/farming for a weapon hope for a good purple skill drop then reforge the rest till you are satisfied.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So does every purple item have a unique purple trait that can't be reforged?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ethiser posted:

To the bottom left of the armor's picture there are also three little vertical pips that fill in to show what class an armor is.

Oh sweet, I wondered what that was.

So does it work like DS where being at a certain weight gives you some sort of bonus? Besides run speed I haven't really noticed a big difference in dodging in Light or Heavy armor. It just seems like regardless of my build it would be a better idea to just always wear heavy armor.

Yes, there's a difference. You have an Agility score that maps to your armor weight that determines how quickly your Ki regenerates and how far your dodges go. A-rank and B-rank Agility aren't that different, but it's noticeable if you're looking for it. C-rank Agility has a pretty short dodge in comparison and slower run speed. Your dodges aren't worse, they just don't travel as far.

Meanwhile, heavier armor gives you more Toughness, which reduces the amount of Ki you lose when you get hit and makes it less likely you'll have your guard broken. Light armor doesn't have much Toughness. Medium has like 50-60% more than light. Heavy has like double or 2.5x what light does.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 13, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

Oh sweet, I wondered what that was.

Yes, there's a difference. You have an Agility score that maps to your armor weight that determines how quickly your Ki regenerates and how far your dodges go. A-rank and B-rank Agility aren't that different, but it's noticeable if you're looking for it. C-rank Agility has a pretty short dodge in comparison and slower run speed. Your dodges aren't worse, they just don't travel as far.

Meanwhile, heavier armor gives you more Toughness, which reduces the amount of Ki you lose when you get hit and makes it less likely you'll have your guard broken. Light armor doesn't have much Toughness. Medium has like 50-60% more than light. Heavy has like double or 2.5x what light does.

Okay, cool. I've been rocking a Dex/Skill build, but since I'm not really into Ninjitsu I think I'll respec. If I do a Katana/Spear build, should I go mainly Heart/Body/Skill? I feel like that would give me the best returns for those two items.

And what exactly is the "Spirit Protection" stat offered by every Guardian Spirit?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
I picked this up almost on a whim. I hated all the Souls games and barely got anywhere. Bloodbourne too. They just feel sluggish, slow, like you're driving a tank when you need a motorcycle.

I love Nioh, though. There's a couple reasons:

* I always feel like I'm making progress forward, even when I get stuck. This is because of all the loot and buffs and weapon types I can swap between. In Dark Souls it felt like the only way forward was "die repeatedly until you memorize it" but in this game I can scout out a bit, headshot some low level minions with a bow, and explore without feeling like it's useless.
* Loot. I love loot. There's so much. You can break it down, upgrade it, re-roll some of the random stats, and so on. It's great!
* The setting is less bleak and depressing. I get that a lot of people like this, but I got a little down while playing it. I wouldn't call Nioh "cheerful" or anything but it's less desolate-wastelandy.
* The story isn't hidden. Dark Souls has a story, sure, but I'd guess most people who play it don't know what it is. It's more like a framework, and sure there's lore you can find but I get the sense that's not why a lot of people play. This game has cutscenes and story and characters.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's worth putting some points unto either strength or dex (whichever is better for your build) to improve your ki pulsing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, cool. I've been rocking a Dex/Skill build, but since I'm not really into Ninjitsu I think I'll respec. If I do a Katana/Spear build, should I go mainly Heart/Body/Skill? I feel like that would give me the best returns for those two items.

And what exactly is the "Spirit Protection" stat offered by every Guardian Spirit?

Spirit Protection is just a flat damage reduction for having a spirit, I'm pretty sure.

Heart/Body/Skill is good for katanas/spears. Skill scales both of them, too. You'll have plenty of points to level Strength some if you want the option to wear medium armor at some point (there are some great set bonuses) and definitely level Spirit some.

Snak posted:

It's worth putting some points unto either strength or dex (whichever is better for your build) to improve your ki pulsing.

That's Skill, actually, not Dex.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game's HUD really makes me appreciate how Dark Souls' health/stamina HUD has notches on it (and boss health bars). It's a teeny tiny thing but it really helps me discern how much of each I have left at a glance and boy do I miss it when it's gone.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

At least you can turn on numbers for your Life and Ki meters in Nioh, that helps some.

I wish they got longer as you level like the ones in Souls/Bloodborne, though. It's a little thing but I like it when my life meter gets longer as I get more life, it's satisfying.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Bloodbourne too. They just feel sluggish, slow, like you're driving a tank when you need a motorcycle.

Now there's a pair of sentences I never though I'd see

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

At least you can turn on numbers for your Life and Ki meters in Nioh, that helps some.

I wish they got longer as you level like the ones in Souls/Bloodborne, though. It's a little thing but I like it when my life meter gets longer as I get more life, it's satisfying.

Then you start a new character and get sad. Time to take your vitamin levels.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Alteisen posted:

I feel that way but that is because I have an issue with that game's parry system so I spend a lot of time dodging when I don't need to.

BUT WHAT IF HE HITS ME *DODGES* *GETS BLASTED* oh yeah I forgot shoot him first

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
Big shout out to the rock in the optional boss fight in region 1

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Yeah I don't know what he's on about with that one. BB plays about as fast as Nioh and it's possibly even more generous with stamina.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

If I want to be using Spears and swords should I be using dual swords or one? I don't think I've found any dual-swords yet (only at the second shrine in the game, at the burning village).

Heart Body and Skill being the things to level?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm near the end of the game and I am truly overpowered. Just having a slight mind towards some build synergy and using tools available to you make you insanely powerful in this game. My katana dude just throws some debuffs out there, and does insane damage to anything electrified. The debuffs are crazy powerful, if you hit something with the ki reduction spell and the slow spell you're pretty much untouchable and able to rip them to shreds. Funnily enough I'm 15 levels below the mission level and it doesn't make a difference really.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
A couple of my more memorable boss fights so far:

My insanely close first win against Hino-enma:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_pm6T77YoY

My winning strategy against Muneshige:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1G5yC0HncM

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

There is a door that must be "opened from the other side" in the big boat the coastline side map. I have been running around this empty map for like 15 minutes and I cannot see a way to get to the other side. Anyone know?

The last kodama is in there :argh:.

Edit: Figured it out. You break the floor above it. Didn't know you could attack floors.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 13, 2017

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Bugblatter posted:

There is a door that must be "opened from the other side" in the big boat the coastline side map. I have been running around this empty map for like 15 minutes and I cannot see a way to get to the other side. Anyone know?

The last kodama is in there :argh:.

Edit: Figured it out. You break the floor above it. Didn't know you could attack floors.

I busted a buncha roofs and I'm mad I gotta go back there to find that last jerk

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Spirit Protection is just a flat damage reduction for having a spirit, I'm pretty sure.

Heart/Body/Skill is good for katanas/spears. Skill scales both of them, too. You'll have plenty of points to level Strength some if you want the option to wear medium armor at some point (there are some great set bonuses) and definitely level Spirit some.
Yeah, the hekp text says that it's just 20% damage reduction across the board.

quote:

That's Skill, actually, not Dex.
Whoops. That's what I get for trying to go by memory.

I'm starting to feel pretty overpowered. I just went through the ninja mansion. Got lost so much, ran in circles so much. Really digging the level design in this game. It doesn't have quite the same economy of design as souls games, but I really like the exploration.

I still die regularly, but I have so much magic I just tear stuff down.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

katkillad2 posted:

Holy poo poo the Sekigahara mission is my favorite so far. Mission/story spoiler: Sneaking behind enemy lines in the middle of a war and using the sneak talisman and axing everyone in the back was :black101:

I'm not sure I get the complaints about level design in this game. There's lots of variety, I've even got lost a few times and that's never happened in Dark Souls.

Yeah that's a REAL cool level.

Tarezax posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sengoku_period#Unification

I haven't played this game (no PS4), but from spoiling myself on various things I think this is basically required reading to understand the plot. The game seems to assume a level of historical knowledge that most Westerners lack.

Thanks for this! Gonna read up while going to bed.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Stance dancing owns

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
The attack on weapon switch skill is great too. Nioh goes out of its way to give you the tools you need to succeed and to encourage you to use them, it's awesome.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do I get Kodima sense? It's so frustrating trying to find these guys without it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

verbal enema posted:

Stance dancing owns

The last time I tried to do this I ended up blocking when I meant to switch, or vice versa, or doing moves in the wrong stance and then getting killed :smith:

veni veni veni posted:

How do I get Kodima sense? It's so frustrating trying to find these guys without it.

It's bundled in with divination talismans, they are your friend.

But even with those I am always stuck looking for one that's off in some corner. In the current level I'm in I think there is one in an area I can't backtrack to because I fell down a building without kicking the ladder back up

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Man Yamato No-Orochi is incredibly frustrating and kind of bullshit design. (Sure is fun to try to avoid attacks from literally every direction at once while praying that the heads decide to wiggle within range of your attacks.) Really wish the game would have just ended with Nobunaga.

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 13, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah check your accessory pool. Its probably on one.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Throw some spoiler tags on bosses and stuff please.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 13, 2017

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Done, although you might want to delete the quote in that post since I don't think the forums retroactively fix quotes.

(I won't argue the point but does anyone really care about spoilers in this game? The story is complete gibberish Japanese history meets final fantasy nonsense.)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well dont loving quote it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The story is fairly impenetrable for most people but I feel like years of playing Samurai Warriors and other weird riffs on Sengoku Japan in anime have at least halfway prepared me to wrap my brain around Nioh's weeby plot.

Also I just got the bat and it's going to be perfect for my ninjutsu playthrough.

Gnumonic posted:

(I won't argue the point but does anyone really care about spoilers in this game? The story is complete gibberish Japanese history meets final fantasy nonsense.)

As stated above its a setting and mythology I have some affection for, so yeah I'd rather be surprised by some of the things they throw at you. I'm not mad or anything but the boss you mentioned is kind of a big deal and would have been a cool surprise.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 13, 2017

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Deified Data posted:

The story is fairly impenetrable for most people but I feel like years of playing Samurai Warriors and other weird riffs on Sengoku Japan in anime have at least halfway prepared me to wrap my brain around Nioh's weeby plot.

In all fairness, anyone having trouble with understanding who these people are and why we should care about them, generally speaking after their appearance you can access lore about important characters on the map screen and more lore unlocks as you clear certain missions. So if you do ever find yourself going "Okay I'm sorry who are you?" then you can probably get your answers from there.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Lol, the first side mission on the shipwreck coastline map has a bullshit ending in NG+. Not only is the final fight really tough, but every enemy in the zone will follow you not just to, but through the boss door. So, unless you fancy fighting more enemies than the engine can properly handle at once along plus the boss, you have to kill everything on the way to the boss door every time, and there is only one shrine at the start of the map.

Gnumonic posted:

Man Yamato No-Orochi is incredibly frustrating and kind of bullshit design. (Sure is fun to try to avoid attacks from literally every direction at once while praying that the heads decide to wiggle within range of your attacks.) Really wish the game would have just ended with Nobunaga.

He's actually really easy. The first two phases are straightforward and the trick to the third is to stay near the edge and kill the heads one by one moving clockwise. The stones will protect you from the only other head that is not blocked by the roof, and you can bait the one you are fighting into a slam attack that stuns them long enough to kill them. It's kind of a trivial victory lap once you figure it out.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Fix your loving post if you're going to call people out for not using spoiler tags.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Lol, the first side mission on the shipwreck coastline map has a bullshit ending in NG+. Not only is the final fight really tough, but every enemy in the zone will follow you not just to, but through the boss door. So, unless you fancy fighting more enemies than the engine can properly handle at once along plus the boss, you have to kill everything on the way to the boss door every time, and there is only one shrine at the start of the map.

He's actually really easy. The first two phases are straightforward and the trick to the third is to stay near the edge and kill the heads one by one moving clockwise. The stones will protect you from the only other head that is not blocked by the roof, and you can bait the one you are fighting into a slam attack that stuns them long enough to kill them. It's kind of a trivial victory lap once you figure it out.

Yeah once I figured that out it wasn't actually that bad. For some reason I thought all their attacks destroyed the stones because the head smash does. I had a similar problem with the giant skeleton where I never saw the path up to where you can hit his hands/head, so I kept trying to beat on his legs to get him to stagger again. (I seriously spent about 15 minutes doing that...) This game doesn't do gigantic bosses very well, but that's a minor complaint given how amazing almost all the other bosses are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Alright, what are everyone's best techniques for cheesing yokai? Two of the ninja yokai on ng+ in an enclosed space that require refighting the entire map for each attempt is just too much.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 13, 2017