Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Can we also stop spoiling the cool surprises of ng+?

That poo poo would have been hilarious if it had happened to me and I wasn't expecting it.

Game is dope, thread is good, just, lots of people play at different paces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Snak posted:

That poo poo would have been hilarious if it had happened to me and I wasn't expecting it.

Second.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Snak posted:

I'm pretty sure the boss door letting normal enemies through is a bug? Are bugs spoilers? The fight is the same as NG just harder.

Edit: One detail might be different, I'll spoil it just in case. Also, finished it with sloth. Thank god for sloth.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 13, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just beat the teapot castle. Boss only took me three deaths. That's what they call three-shotting, right

Total death count: 640

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The sword's ki draining kick ability is so good it feels broken and I miss not having it with other weapons :(

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

The sword's ki draining kick ability is so good it feels broken and I miss not having it with other weapons :(

Kurisagama gots it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Spear has a different kick, I think.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

axe is the only weapon that doesn't have a kick. because its regular swings hit like kicks

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Heaven and Earth just flat out breaks entire ki bars, it's hilarious. It'll break the entire stamina bar of a giant skeleton, it's incredible.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How exactly does Discord work? You just need to hit them with any two elements at the same time? So I can throw a water enchant on my weapon and then use my fire Guardian Spirit thing and then just go to town on them?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What the hell is up with late-game mission level recommendations? I'm level 85 and the only mission available to me is level 100+. I've done every single sub-mission in the game. What am I missing?

For what it's worth, I feel totally outmatched, too. It takes forever to kill anything and the boss is a loving nightmare.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

How exactly does Discord work? You just need to hit them with any two elements at the same time? So I can throw a water enchant on my weapon and then use my fire Guardian Spirit thing and then just go to town on them?

Yep. You gotta fully apply 2 different status effects at the same time which can be tricky to pull off, but if so you get an additional ying/yang effect that drains their ki like crazy and lets you just go nuts on them.

Its much easier to pull off co-op.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I see that the elemental effect of Water "Reduces physical defense and stacks elemental build up". That sounds like it means that applying additional elemental effects to an enemy afflicted with Water is easier? If that's the case the premier way to get Discord would probably be to hit them with a Water Amulet/Water GS/Water Onmyo and then switch over to something else.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I see that the elemental effect of Water "Reduces physical defense and stacks elemental build up". That sounds like it means that applying additional elemental effects to an enemy afflicted with Water is easier? If that's the case the premier way to get Discord would probably be to hit them with a Water Amulet/Water GS/Water Onmyo and then switch over to something else.

Yes, doing water first is a good idea. Lightning is the other best element, because it has a slowing effect.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Harrow posted:

What the hell is up with late-game mission level recommendations? I'm level 85 and the only mission available to me is level 100+. I've done every single sub-mission in the game. What am I missing?

For what it's worth, I feel totally outmatched, too. It takes forever to kill anything and the boss is a loving nightmare.

That's the correct level curve. I'm doing level 300 missions at 180.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Belzac posted:

Do the cave submission that unlocks after that mission.

Do you remember which mission this was? I've done another story mission after that and I don't see any cave sub-mission at all.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Every single revenant, every goddamn one, is wearing the Warrior of the West armor. gently caress you guys, I want something else!

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Harrow posted:

Do you remember which mission this was? I've done another story mission after that and I don't see any cave sub-mission at all.

The Watcher in Darkness.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Just double checking, the locks of hair definitely don't do anything outside of being used to gain skill points, right?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Belzac posted:

The Watcher in Darkness.

Huh, I don't see that one. Maybe it's later?

DaveKap posted:

Just double checking, the locks of hair definitely don't do anything outside of being used to gain skill points, right?

Yep, that's all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Yes, doing water first is a good idea. Lightning is the other best element, because it has a slowing effect.

My go to is water then earth. Earth double Ki usage and yokai afflicted with earth don't regen ki even if they're standing in a pool.

I have finally been bitten in the rear end for still only having 6 body at level 74. New armors require 11. Oops.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Every single revenant, every goddamn one, is wearing the Warrior of the West armor. gently caress you guys, I want something else!

don't worry that will eventually give way to everyone wearing red demon

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Snak posted:

My go to is water then earth. Earth double Ki usage and yokai afflicted with earth don't regen ki even if they're standing in a pool.

I have finally been bitten in the rear end for still only having 6 body at level 74. New armors require 11. Oops.

Respec is cheap. And you get one from a side mission. So you might have one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That won't work because you can only have 1 weapon doing status / elemental damage at a time. If you are solo, apply one then swap to another weapon, apply a weapon buff or use a living weapon with a different element.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
what's the verdict on Nioh: I think Bloodborne is one of the best video games ever created, completely perfect from start to finish, but I'm not really a fan of Dark Souls at all (slower, clunkier gameplay, less interesting visual styles). looks like Nioh's gameplay is sort of similar to Bloodborne's, at least in speed and general complexity?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Are people having luck with discord? It seems that either the baddie is dead by the time I can proc 2 state's or is strong enough that it is resistant to something I'm trying to put on it.

I think I got it once and then the fight ended very quickly because its very good.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I think Nioh's combat has more depth than Bloodborne's imo. I love Bloodborne but I enjoy the weapon/moveset variety and the core combat more in Nioh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bombadilillo posted:

Are people having luck with discord? It seems that either the baddie is dead by the time I can proc 2 state's or is strong enough that it is resistant to something I'm trying to put on it.

I think I got it once and then the fight ended very quickly because its very good.

I've only managed it in co-op

minya
Sep 7, 2004

there wolf lmao posted:

I think Nioh's combat has more depth than Bloodborne's imo. I love Bloodborne but I enjoy the weapon/moveset variety and the core combat more in Nioh.
cool. anything specific you are enjoying more about Nioh's combat system than bloodborne's?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

minya posted:

what's the verdict on Nioh: I think Bloodborne is one of the best video games ever created, completely perfect from start to finish, but I'm not really a fan of Dark Souls at all (slower, clunkier gameplay, less interesting visual styles). looks like Nioh's gameplay is sort of similar to Bloodborne's, at least in speed and general complexity?

Nioh's gameplay is definitely closer in speed/fluidity to Bloodborne's than Dark Souls's. It does have blocking and heavy armor, and both are pretty viable (in fact, blocking is necessary--it's easier to block in the middle of being combo'd by an enemy than it is to dodge away), but it's also fast-paced like Bloodborne. It also has some interesting stamina management mechanics, where you can press R1 at a certain point to regain a chunk of your lost stamina so you can keep attacking.

There are fewer weapons, but each weapon has three stances and a bunch of special moves you can unlock in a skill tree.

It's really good. I like Bloodborne better as an overall game--like you, I think it's easily one of the best games ever made--but Nioh is really good and I probably like it better than both Dark Souls 2 and 3.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

minya posted:

You know how bloodborne had a few weapons each with a deep move set?

Well imagine 5 base movesets. About 50x deeper then BB and customizable!!! You can parry. Multiple parries with short windows for huge damage. Big windows for less damage. You can be faster then bloodborne the dual knives, hit harder then the hammer. I have not had to fight the camera on a boss once.

And you rifle can actually kill dudes in the head.

I won't say it beats bloodborne lovecraft ascetic. But as a game. Its better in every way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

minya posted:

cool. anything specific you are enjoying more about Nioh's combat system than bloodborne's?

You have more control. Souls games are just about hitting hard when you have the stamina and then timing your blocks and dodges. In this, you can combo in ways that return you stamina and allow you to get in longer combos and do more damage without running out of stamina. More complexity approaching something like a fighting game.

You also have a ton of special techniques which you can use to do fun different attacks, where in souls its mostly just 2 swings per weapon, with a different stance for 2-hand. Power stancing was added with 2 hand weapons in DS2; Nioh is like taking that and going another 3 or 4 more degrees along that path. There's more stances, more moves, more options; just deeper combat.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

minya posted:

I like it a lot right now, certainly more than I did Bloodborne initially. Nioh seems more customizable and forgiving, especially early on, but it still encourages careful and thoughtful play.

It's too early for me to make a sweeping comparison. Too much content I haven't seen yet (including DLC), too new to be properly objective. But it's a lot of fun with a good balance between feeling empowered/in control and feeling challenged/overwhelmed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here are my two big gameplay complaints about Nioh and why I still like Bloodborne better:

1. Dark Souls 2-level tracking on some enemies. That turntable spinning is really annoying. Some enemies are worse than others. For what it's worth, I don't mind it when enemies just have huge sweeping attacks or big spinning attacks and stuff, I just hate it when they turntable during a huge wind-up.

2. Enemy variety really is lacking. I doubted it when I read it in the first few reviews that came out, but past the halfway point, you're not going to see a single new enemy type that isn't a boss. There are some "new" enemies that are essentially palette swaps of an earlier one with one new move, but I'm not really going to count those.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Also seeing the enemy. Every enemies stamina is such a revelation in the souls style combat. Its just dumbfounding that this wasnt in a game earlier. You are given the info to know when to press the attack. Back off. You never feel like the cheap thing in DS3 enemies with infinite stamina enemies. Its all there for you to see.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

minya posted:

The dynamic stance/weapon switching and ki (stamina) management/pulse mechanics stand out as the #1 difference between the two. It can be fast or slow paced and the tools given to you through new weapon skills and ninjitsu and magic are really awesome for customizing your character to your preferred playstyles. I recommend it if you like BB.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Also seeing the enemy. Every enemies stamina is such a revelation in the souls style combat. Its just dumbfounding that this wasnt in a game earlier. You are given the info to know when to press the attack. Back off. You never feel like the cheap thing in DS3 enemies with infinite stamina enemies. Its all there for you to see.

Seeing enemy Ki is pretty great, I do really like that. I get annoyed with the few bosses who seem to have attacks they can do at 0 Ki just to screw with you (I just fought one boss who liked to do a huge tornado right when he hit 0 Ki) but in general I think it adds a cool dynamic to the combat.

Always kick every skeleton, it just demolishes their Ki.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

Seeing enemy Ki is pretty great, I do really like that. I get annoyed with the few bosses who seem to have attacks they can do at 0 Ki just to screw with you (I just fought one boss who liked to do a huge tornado right when he hit 0 Ki) but in general I think it adds a cool dynamic to the combat.

Always kick every skeleton, it just demolishes their Ki.

Yokia bosses all have a huge attack the recover ki. Its a temptation window for the big blast countdown.

Kicking the mini umbozo's drops them in 3 kicks.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

thanks all, good info. just wish I could cop for $40 instead of $60. ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

lets hang out posted:

don't worry that will eventually give way to everyone wearing red demon

That's fine, I actually want that.

What kinda scrubs are skipping out of the Genius Strategist set? That poo poo is dope.