Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That won't work because you can only have 1 weapon doing status / elemental damage at a time. If you are solo, apply one then swap to another weapon, apply a weapon buff or use a living weapon with a different element.

What I was thinking was to enchant your weapon with something like Fire or Water, and then use your Guardian Spirit Talisman to hit them with another element. I've been using Kato and it pretty reliably hits them with the Fire DoT, so if you used a Water Talisman and got that applied you should be able to get the Fire DoT off in one hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Yokia bosses all have a huge attack the recover ki. Its a temptation window for the big blast countdown.

Yeah, but the annoying ones are the human bosses who manage to scrape by for ages on a tiny shred of Ki. Then you finally get their Ki into the red and "lol gently caress you, I'm unstaggerable and also now there's a spear tornado."

I mean I beat him anyway but that annoyed me and he did it twice. One time he just headbutted me when his Ki ran out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does the hemlock broth actually do anything? It says it adds paralysis but i can't see a drat difference with it on my sword.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

Yeah, but the annoying ones are the human bosses who manage to scrape by for ages on a tiny shred of Ki. Then you finally get their Ki into the red and "lol gently caress you, I'm unstaggerable and also now there's a spear tornado."

I mean I beat him anyway but that annoyed me and he did it twice. One time he just headbutted me when his Ki ran out.

The human bosses suck because you're led to believe "Flashing red Ki bar" means they are unable to attack, like you are when your Ki is totally depleted and flashing red. But then you go in and not only do they block, they counterattack for half your health.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Their ki black magic can be pretty frustrating that for sure. I keep shuriken on me to chip them into a break whenever they are in the red, it's pretty reliable.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Harrow posted:

The kunai or shirukins are great for that. They do chip ki damage. But its usually enough to stagger then when they get low. Or they dodge. Which lowers there ki.
So I throw another and stagger them.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I took a break from the main missions top help dudes out. Someone summoned me to fight the Umibozu and darted to the boss door. After the small "you're being teleported" loading screen I spawned straight into the Umibozu death beam and died immediately. Sorry guy :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It only took me 16 deaths to beat the Frozen™ stage, which is some kind of record for me.

I think I have gotten greedy and cocky with all my ninjutsu and magic, I died a couple of times because I forgot to even try to dodge or block while I was applying all my items. But once I was able to get those all up the actual fighting was a faceroll

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
The Giant Centipede is annoying as gently caress. I'm going to beat him in a few more tries I'm sure but just did like 8 or so and kept getting him down to like 10% only to slowly die out to poison with no elixirs left. I do know to turn on the fan periodically but the poison still comes back at the worst times.

It's a huge pain in the rear end to even hit him. Is there any way to avoid when he starts wriggling on the ground? I tried everything I could think of but get hit by it every single time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think weirdly my favorite map so far in the game is that over used side mission that doesn't seem to be part of a main mission, even though it's small. I like how it has all sorts of ways to go Outdoors, catacombs, caves, enterable buildings...I wish more of the game had that much variety. Not that the other environments aren't good.

Scorps posted:

The Giant Centipede is annoying as gently caress. I'm going to beat him in a few more tries I'm sure but just did like 8 or so and kept getting him down to like 10% only to slowly die out to poison with no elixirs left. I do know to turn on the fan periodically but the poison still comes back at the worst times.

It's a huge pain in the rear end to even hit him. Is there any way to avoid when he starts wriggling on the ground? I tried everything I could think of but get hit by it every single time.

He's super easy if you use the environment. Climb up the ladders and do drop attacks on him until he is stunned and go hog wild on his face. His AI is really predicable and you can exploit it super easy to bait him into going under you.

Edit: Also smash the poison blobs on the ground when the fan is on to permanently get rid of the poison.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 13, 2017

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
So in one of the dojo training missions I spent a good 15 minutes just trying to get the parry timing down. I can parry strong openings attacks but everything else just feels like rng if I actually get it. Also the risk vs reward for a parry doesn't seem that great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

Does the hemlock broth actually do anything? It says it adds paralysis but i can't see a drat difference with it on my sword.

It adds paralysis element. Hitting people will start to build up the paralysis effect, but only a bit at a time. You have to get several hits in succession to build up the effect enough to trigger it.

And paralysis is a very all or nothing element. If you build it up all the way, they freeze in place completely and you can heal or go backstab them. But it can be very hard to build up without a ton of paralysis element.

The spider guardian gives you +30 paralysis with all attacks if you have enough spirit, and there are paralysis shurikens. You'll need some combination of the three to actually inflict a paralysis, or gear that gives bonus to paralysis.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

That's fine, I actually want that.

What kinda scrubs are skipping out of the Genius Strategist set? That poo poo is dope.

Best set in the game so far, scratches my itch to play as a scruffy yojimbo. William looks better in sets like that than the more regal ones IMO.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Best set in the game so far, scratches my itch to play as a scruffy yojimbo. William looks better in sets like that than the more regal ones IMO.

Yeah I always try to look scruffy. The really fancy sets look cool until I use them and they just seem dorky. I actually like the look of the scout body armor mixed with the guard helmet the best which is stuff you find like an hour in. I don't think I;ve found strategist armor yet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Ninja pajamas all day erry day :ninja:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Bat Bitch dead on try number 20 when I remembered I could block

She wasn't poo poo after that!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm rocking legendary strategist's garb fashioned to look like the hero set. Tactition's ingenuity is a pretty cool set bonus.

I'm due for an upgrade, though. My gear is like level 56 and I'm almost level 80. This game is hard at first, but ince you grt all these tools and gear it gets wayyyy easier. Holy poo poo. Like, I still die a lot, but more because I'm getting sloppy than because the game is hard.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm at Mt. Hiei, how far into the game am I at this point?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

As soon as I get the Justice Ministry getup that stuff's probably not coming off for a while, at least not visually.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So did people find the second duel to be easier than the first one? My items didn't even really affect things, since the kusarigama has a Scorpion/Roadhog-style hook that will knock a dude down and he fell for it twenty times in a row, cheese for the win

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
My stats say I've found 43.3 Kodama. I don't understand.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So I'm at Mt. Hiei, how far into the game am I at this point?

Pretty close to the end. Three or four main missions if I recall correctly.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So did people find the second duel to be easier than the first one? My items didn't even really affect things, since the kusarigama has a Scorpion/Roadhog-style hook that will knock a dude down and he fell for it twenty times in a row, cheese for the win

Much easier. Hes a lot easier to bait into draining his own ki and punishing that. Add on all of the magic/ninjutsu/other tools you have unlocked at that point and he goes down pretty easily. If you use spear you can abuse the bullshit knockdown move they have to defeat him in under 30 seconds. Makes him easy to farm for the red demon set, at least.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RatHat posted:

My stats say I've found 43.3 Kodama. I don't understand.

The black one only counts as 1/3rd of a Kodama .

It's probably a percentage.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

veni veni veni posted:

Black one?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

That quick grab headbutt was a hilarious surprise. Dude just didn't want to go down.

I wish I had a parry headbutt.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Yojimbo Crow Laws

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I'm planning on picking up a PS4 Pro pretty soon, and I'm on the fence about whether or not I should get Nioh. I've heard that it plays like Dark Souls, but that it's somewhat easier in some aspects, and more a lot more fast-paced. I'm hesitant to try it because I usually try avoid difficult games.

I've been playing the first Dark Souls to see if I'd be able to play Nioh. So far, I managed to make it to the Undead Parish (where you meet the blacksmith) after about two-or-three hours of playing. I don't know if that really serves as a good indication of skill or not.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I have platinum now. Good game not making you grind out stuff for a plat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Has anyone else nearing the end like I am straight-up just stopped exploring side paths etc? In the fire temple level that was mentioned a couple pages ago (no spoilers from me here) I sprinted by all the enemies without even fighting them because there's just so many so close together.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

CJacobs posted:

Has anyone else nearing the end like I am straight-up just stopped exploring side paths etc? In the fire temple level that was mentioned a couple pages ago (no spoilers from me here) I sprinted by all the enemies without even fighting them because there's just so many so close together.

Nope, I only would skip some side areas in particularly annoying levels' side missions.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Did anyone actually give the dung balls to the guy behind the door in the castle full of poo poo (tm)? I gave him like 10 and he still wanted more. Not sure what you get for it, I just dug how bizarre it was.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If it weren't for the Kodama, I think I would be beelining in the levels because there won't be some hand-placed piece of weird gear or special items lying around

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If it weren't for the Kodama, I think I would be beelining in the levels because there won't be some hand-placed piece of weird gear or special items lying around

You're probably missing a ton of hair. They hand place those around.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It seems like this sometimes actually is the case, but as there is no truly unique equipment in this game I agree with you. I've noticed a few times that the game gave me a full set of specific armor from a chest that then remained open (I got a full Ambush set in the mines after the, uh, ambush, and that chest had to be intentionally placed). But other than that it feels like there's not much reason to explore stuff other than to have more enemies to beat up.

Belzac posted:

You're probably missing a ton of hair. They hand place those around.

As someone who has found so many drat samurai locks that I have maxed out both my chosen starting weapons, no thanks, I'm good :v:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just got thrown into a coop session with someone that stood as far away as he could from the Nue, I had to solo it. :newlol:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

CJacobs posted:

It seems like this sometimes actually is the case, but as there is no truly unique equipment in this game I agree with you. I've noticed a few times that the game gave me a full set of specific armor from a chest that then remained open (I got a full Ambush set in the mines after the, uh, ambush, and that chest had to be intentionally placed). But other than that it feels like there's not much reason to explore stuff other than to have more enemies to beat up.

As someone who has found so many drat samurai locks that I have maxed out both my chosen starting weapons, no thanks, I'm good :v:

Yeah but did you max out all the good passives from the other weapons that are universal?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There are a metric asston of shortcuts in this game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Belzac posted:

Yeah but did you max out all the good passives from the other weapons that are universal?

Well, you got me there. I'm currently running around with I think like 25 samurai skill points so I might as well use em on something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

jesus christ i explore every map top to bottom and i haven't even found enough to max out dual swords