Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Sandpuppy posted:

Is that Lester? Looks like his lettering style on that sign. And this seems like the kind of topic that would rustle his scales.

I almost didn't recognize him without the Gulf shirt and chicken sandwich, but yes:

https://twitter.com/exg001/status/829432795416166400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Starving Wolf posted:

I'm the single, framed picture of the hammer and sickle on the wall.
I'm the sack of clearly-extra money next to the 2017 BUDGET on the bottom shelf.

California has so much money they can leave it lying around on the bookshelf and keeps the budget around to refer to. Kind of confusing given the nearby junkie cat?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

For a while I was wondering if there was anything in this cartoon to represent Oroville, published well before its impending destruction. Then it dawned on me, and I see Mr. Ben Garrison is indeed a far more prescient cartoonist than we have given him credit for.

Thank you, in advance, for illustrating what that city truly is: an old grey cat in the process of pissing itself to death.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Abyssal Squid posted:

I almost didn't recognize him without the Gulf shirt and chicken sandwich, but yes:

I recognized the lettering but not the face; he's been eating too many heterosexual chicken patties.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the_steve posted:

Ahem. I believe you will find that LIBERALS are the real r-words.

*draws right-wing comics depicting all minorities and foreigners as feral animals and lazy parasites that Liberals want to treat like actual people - while sensible white Conservatives look on disapprovingly*

I think the three pissed-looking grey cats in the middle are supposed to be conservative Californians, but they're missing a label.

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm the sack of clearly-extra money next to the 2017 BUDGET on the bottom shelf.

California has so much money they can leave it lying around on the bookshelf and keeps the budget around to refer to. Kind of confusing given the nearby junkie cat?

That's no sack, it's another cat! Albeit a very lumpy one, with a dollar sign on its back because ?????
Does it represent California's department of finance, given its worried expression? the wealthy elite? THE TAX PAYER? DEBT?!?!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I love the Cat in the Pussy Hat.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Is there something I'm missing about the magical moon beams?

Also, lol at the conspiracy theory of Mexico trying to retake their old territory. Pretty sure that's from Enemies Foreign and Domestic?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Starving Wolf posted:

That's no sack, it's another cat! Albeit a very lumpy one, with a dollar sign on its back because ?????
Does it represent California's department of finance, given its worried expression? the wealthy elite? THE TAX PAYER? DEBT?!?!
...I thought it was a sack and the cat head was the bit above the tie-string thing.

:eyepop:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

We have always been at war with Oceania.

Capfalcon posted:

Is there something I'm missing about the magical moon beams?

He mentions it in his rant, but current Gov. Jerry Brown was known as "Moonbeam" when he was governor before, in the '70s.

quote:

The nickname was coined by Mike Royko, the famed Chicago columnist, who in 1976 said that Mr. Brown appeared to be attracting “the moonbeam vote,” which in Chicago political parlance meant young, idealistic and nontraditional.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Doc Hawkins posted:

If we're tagging ourselves, I'm definitely cash-countin-kitty on the right. Gosh I wonder what group they're supposed to represent???

I'm the angry feminist cat.

Also, California is a super successful state. All of those cats are hard at work and make it a better place.

Tritanomalicious
Mar 14, 2008

A dog, A barrel... RIDICULOUS!
I choose to read that Garrison as a conspiracy theory that Jerry Brown is using Moon Magic™ to transform all the refugees, undocumented immigrants, and other assorted poors into cats, then ???, then profit.

e; it's also really weird how Brown's head is on California, which is then attached to another, separate, body that it seems to be controlling like some kind of state-shaped parasite.

Furthermore, I'm the orange cat eating out of the bowl marked "free"

Tritanomalicious fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 13, 2017

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There's so many bills, implying, erroneously, that California owes money (to the rest of the country/fed, I guess?), but also the cats are clearly bringing in lots of their own money, which can go towards the bills. No need to worry.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It might have something to do with CA's internal budget crises.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
I mean, Garrison is completely and utterly insane, but it still rubs me the wrong way when right-wing assholes use my country Sweden as a warning example. Do I really have to debunk "muslim no-go zones" and "rape capital"?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Abyssal Squid posted:

Holy loving poo poo, Mike Lester lives in Jacksonville Florida?! That explains so very much. I've probably flipped him the bird in traffic without even realizing it. :psyduck:

Edit: I hope he isn't still there on Monday because I was planning to go to Cruisers for lunch
Edit2: If he is there I might ask him about the iceberg

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 13, 2017

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Erenthal posted:

I mean, Garrison is completely and utterly insane, but it still rubs me the wrong way when right-wing assholes use my country Sweden as a warning example. Do I really have to debunk "muslim no-go zones" and "rape capital"?

Don't worry. They are shifting it to the frozen hell hole that is my country of Canada

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Erenthal posted:

I've known people from Sweden who claim those exist. :psyduck:

Xenophobic right-wing lies are pervasive and inescapable almost anywhere.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm loving the talib beards on the Islamocats.

EDIT: I think on Welfare Cat he slipped off the "immigrant" topic slightly in favor of other stereotypes. :nyd:

EDIT2: I'm the glowering cat with serape and sombrero atop the bookshelf looking awesome.

If there's a Nazi re-vamp of this comic, definitely post it.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 13, 2017

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm loving the talib beards on the Islamocats.

Lots of stars and crescents as additional ID in case anyone missed the beards.

I'm surprised he didn't add at least one overflowing litter box.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

King Possum III posted:

Lots of stars and crescents as additional ID in case anyone missed the beards.

I'm surprised he didn't add at least one overflowing litter box.

A quick count gives me 5 Islamocats to 3 Mexicats; that cannot be remotely statistically accurate for California.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Does anyone else just scroll over Mallard when he tries to do poetry now?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Yes, I do indeed scroll over Mallard.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Same.

Is he still clutching pearls about that punched Nazi?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Does Bruce know that undercuts are now the signature of nazis and not neo-liberals now?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I see Trump's morphed entirely into a skunk. Actually probably for the best because the old hybrid was hideous and made no sense in-universe.

I do like that Prickly City's shifted entirely into an ongoing mental breakdown with bouts of attacking Trump. It's still bad, but it's better than what it was. Hopefully it keeps this up; one of the "exists solely to be a conservative balance to Doonesbury in newspapers" strips turning into a full-time attack on Trump is a concept that amuses me.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I agree, Tinsley, celebrities ranting nonsensically on topics they know nothing about should stay the gently caress out of politics. Reagan, Schwarzenegger, Trump, it really never ends well.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Starshark posted:

Does anyone else just scroll over Mallard when he tries to do poetry now?
I like to try and tap out the rhythm and give up half way because even by political cartoon standards it is dire.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

holy poo poo a good rall what the gently caress

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Holy loving poo poo, Mike Lester lives in Jacksonville Florida?! That explains so very much. I've probably flipped him the bird in traffic without even realizing it. :psyduck:

Edit: I hope he isn't still there on Monday because I was planning to go to Cruisers for lunch
Edit2: If he is there I might ask him about the iceberg

You should just ask "have you stopped beating your wife?"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

SSNeoman posted:

holy poo poo a good rall what the gently caress

When you call everyone nazis you're bound to be right every now and then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FronzelNeekburm posted:

He mentions it in his rant, but current Gov. Jerry Brown was known as "Moonbeam" when he was governor before, in the '70s.

It blows my mind that the current governor of California is the same guy the Dead Kennedys were singing about in 1978.

Trapezium Dave posted:

I like to try and tap out the rhythm and give up half way because even by political cartoon standards it is dire.

Most of us want to tap out when we read Bruce Drinkmore.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

:drat:

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

Zanzibar Ham posted:

When you call everyone nazis you're bound to be right every now and then.

These next four years are going to be Rall's Hitler Renaissance.

Those darn celebrities should just stay out of political discourse and leave it to people who know what they're talking about; like me, a man who draws a duck for living.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm never capable of being upset at JRRose!!!, even when his opinions are at their worst. It's like, c'mere you big doofus lemme give you a great big NOOGIE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Yeah keeping Lester next to Jacksonville's highways isn't the worst outcome.

• Locked thread