Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

We will beat the Archon not with superior firepower, but with love. "Now I know what makes you ... special" is just the Archon's pillow talk. Then we'll go vault-hunting together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I demand more Elcor.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hedrigall posted:

It'll probably be a Kett defector.

A never-nude Kett

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
The idea that Bioware runs all their ideas past a particular, quite odd person named Aaryn is so loving funny to me.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Kurtofan posted:

A never-nude Kett

A Kett wearing one of those sleeping bags with slots for your legs.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Nah, Vetra is probably the secret result of the reach and flexibility story
The Pathfinder mission left somewhere between 2 and 3 so the timeline doesn't work for that. I guess she could be the flexibility part of that story though.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is there an old Mass Effect 1 thread in the archives someone can link me? I like reading threads for games I play through. I have search, but it seems worthless.
Super lazy this morning, but if you look in Games around the time this thread started, you should be able to find the old ME3 thread. The OP of that has links to the ME2 threads, which should eventually get you back to ME1.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

The idea that Bioware runs all their ideas past a particular, quite odd person named Aaryn is so loving funny to me.

Makes sense someone named Aaryn would give the greenlight to a character called peebee.

peebee the rogue archeologist

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

The MSJ posted:

Bioware denies us alien nudes. Game confirmed to suck.

Edit:
All will be forgiven if they allow me to play a claymore-wielding jetpacked berserker vanguard. Gonna bring the gospel of the Imperium of Man on these xenos.

You mean Demoman from tf2

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is there an old Mass Effect 1 thread in the archives someone can link me? I like reading threads for games I play through. I have search, but it seems worthless.

Here you are my dude. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2246427

For future reference (to anyone with archives), the easiest way to find these kind of threads is just set the month and year the game was released and look at the threads that pop up.

I'm going to be sad if this game has 0 Hanar, Volus, or Elcor. Wouldn't be shocked if one of the DLCs is ships with the other races arriving late.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That's the pre-release thread, this is the release thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2694184

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Zore posted:

Or Subject Zero the experiment without a name.

Allow me to blow your mind here: "Jack" is slang for "nothing" or "zero"- e.g. we found jack after all that hard work.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoehWZDT76o

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

It's a bit strange that across the first three ME games, the alien cast has been so limited. It seems unfortunate that ME:A happens to be leaning on familiar ME alien archetypes as opposed to carving out new ones. I'm willing to bet that anyone in this thread could one-line six potential characters that'd be more immediately engaging that ME:A's cast. I think it sucks that 2/6 of the cast are humans, because they tend to be bland and uninteresting, little better than stock NPCs to keep you company until you get the other party members.

Honestly, even though I can understand how hard the heavy lifting is from a game assets perspective, I would have really liked some non-bipedal aliens. Life is pretty clever in how it decides to get in motion and slot into it's niche, it would be really nice to see some advanced alien species that weren't bog standard bipedals of some sort.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Are there any original trilogy people from 1 or 2 that weren't in 3 that could potentially be slotted in as a returning character?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hobo Clown posted:

Are there any original trilogy people from 1 or 2 that weren't in 3 that could potentially be slotted in as a returning character?

If it were the case it would be some really bit part that wouldn't really be recognizable.

Realistically this was a project that started many years earlier than ME1 and would have already had its team in place for long than the 2 years since ME1 started to ME3. They really better not have the crutch of ANY returning characters.

gently caress 'em, let Andromeda live or die by its own merits, not trying to easter egg in an original series ME character. :colbert:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I don't care what kind of hoops they have to jump through, I want Conrad to show up somehow.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So is there any sign that the game really gives you the chance to play as much of a Picard type as possible?

The trailers get me excited when they talk up the notion of not being soldiers and being explorers. While I know combat is going to happen or the game is going to be completeble without killing someone... It would be nice if it could actually feel like my character isn't a soldier.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Timeless Appeal posted:

So is there any sign that the game really gives you the chance to play as much of a Picard type as possible?

The trailers get me excited when they talk up the notion of not being soldiers and being explorers. While I know combat is going to happen or the game is going to be completeble without killing someone... It would be nice if it could actually feel like my character isn't a soldier.

Your character will actively seek out and kill hundreds of alien mooks, and very likely humans and poo poo down the line.

Why even pretend otherwise?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 12, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

There are four "tones" we know of that form the basis of interactions. Given what they have said so far

Casual, for swearing and joking.
Professional, for what it says on the tin.
Head, for thinking rationally or dispassionately.
Heart, for going with your emotions or your gut.

I reckon you could get a Picard out of some of that.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pops Mgee posted:

I don't care what kind of hoops they have to jump through, I want Conrad to show up somehow.

He could easily turn up in some of the codexes or e-mails, maybe even as a VI somewhere. Remember, he has a doctoral degree in Xenoscience and did his dissertation on dark energy! Guy is useful when he's not pining after the Shepard.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 12, 2017

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
You can't play as Picard because your sibling (who's stuck on the ship) is the one who gets stabbed in the heart by the Kett.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pops Mgee posted:

I don't think there's anything in the trilogy that says conrad's wife isn't on an ark ship, so...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Conrad Vernor was actually Legion in disguise.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't think there's anything in the trilogy that says conrad's wife isn't on an ark ship, so...

Conrad admits his "wife" is just a Commander Shepard shrine in ME3.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

marshmallow creep posted:

There are four "tones" we know of that form the basis of interactions. Given what they have said so far

Casual, for swearing and joking.
Professional, for what it says on the tin.
Head, for thinking rationally or dispassionately.
Heart, for going with your emotions or your gut.

I reckon you could get a Picard out of some of that.

Logical like Spock. Cold, critical and only using enough force as absolutely necessary.
Emotional like Kirk. A little sly, flying on the seat of your pants in any given scenario and most likely to come up with something corny when put on the spot.
And finally for the player that Renegade just doesn't go far enough, Fury. For when you just want to shoot an alien dead as soon as you meet them or use your biotics to rip them in half at any part during the conversation.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jeza posted:

I mean Legion was cool, but he would be a lot cooler if the obsession/stalking aspect was toned up. But then it kind of weirdly clashes with Harbinger's obsession with Shepard, so I can understand why they minimised it. Although in the end, you don't hear 90% of Harbinger's dialogue unless you play on Insanity and let his directly controlled goons live on purpose instead of exploding them as soon as they arrive.
On the contrary, I think Legion chasing Shepard through the first act paralleling Harbinger's obsession with Shepard would have been a great way to raise dramatic tension. Instead, you see a Geth, you pick him up, you decide if you want to activate him. :effort:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

chiasaur11 posted:

Conrad admits his "wife" is just a Commander Shepard shrine in ME3.

Really? I thought his wife left him because of shrines and weirdness and poo poo.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

DarkHorse posted:

On the contrary, I think Legion chasing Shepard through the first act paralleling Harbinger's obsession with Shepard would have been a great way to raise dramatic tension. Instead, you see a Geth, you pick him up, you decide if you want to activate him. :effort:

Legion was quite obviously supposed to be discovered at the Normandy crash site. But when that was put to DLC and everything was chopped up to fit in two discs, he was shoved into the Derelict Reaper.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Yeah, thematically it would have worked as Legion stalking Shepard, because then you can play out the mini-story that Shepard & Co. think the Reapers have sent some kind of assassin/scout after them. Then it just walks into Legion being kawaii for Shepard and not some reaper death bot.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Cythereal posted:

On a related note, a Western vibe could have been a great direction for Andromeda. A wagon train to the stars.

The 2015 accouncement trailer was set to Johnny Cash. So… fingers crossed I guess https://youtube.com/watch?v=uG8V9dRqSsw.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

doingitwrong posted:

The 2015 accouncement trailer was set to Johnny Cash. So… fingers crossed I guess https://youtube.com/watch?v=uG8V9dRqSsw.

Mass Effect does High Plains Drifter.

Only with Clint Eastwood replaced with Justin Bieber / Miley Cyrus in a space suit.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Makes sense someone named Aaryn would give the greenlight to a character called peebee.

peebee the rogue archeologist

"Guys, remember how Indiana Jones didn't act like you'd expect an archaeologist to act? What if we did that, but blue and with tits!"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Miley Cyrus is still a country singer.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

Miley Cyrus is still a country singer.

And Lindsay Lohan is still a movie star.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kroggin'

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Game looks like garbage.

Characters look worse than garbage.

Animations look worse than burning garbage.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Game looks like garbage.

Characters look worse than garbage.

Animations look worse than burning garbage.

What energy and focus Bioware put into the game we'd be able to replicate equally or greater by simply jerking off to deviant art drawings of sexy asari. And then maybe also digging up a few clumps of grass in our backyard and callign it "scanning".

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Here you are my dude. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2246427

For future reference (to anyone with archives), the easiest way to find these kind of threads is just set the month and year the game was released and look at the threads that pop up.

I'm going to be sad if this game has 0 Hanar, Volus, or Elcor. Wouldn't be shocked if one of the DLCs is ships with the other races arriving late.

Thanks man! I thought about doing what you said, but figured the thread would have hung around for quite a while before being archived. Or does the archive list the thread on the date it originally was posted?

I also found the old ME3 thread, which had a link to 2, but 2 didn't have any to the first one.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Drifter posted:

What energy and focus Bioware put into the game we'd be able to replicate equally or greater by simply jerking off to deviant art drawings of sexy asari. And then maybe also digging up a few clumps of grass in our backyard and callign it "scanning".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Please do not post illegally pirated copies of Fornax.