Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Vasler posted:

I wonder when the Pixel XL 128 GB will ever come back in stock. At this point I'm leaning towards getting the normal Pixel since it's been 3 months without stock coming back in.

Is there a functional difference between the two aside from size?

I can add a Quite Black 128 GB Pixel XL to my cart in the Google Store right now, though the shipping time is claimed at 6-7 weeks on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

maltesh posted:

I can add a Quite Black 128 GB Pixel XL to my cart in the Google Store right now, though the shipping time is claimed at 6-7 weeks on that.

That's very strange. It shows as out of stock for me. Perhaps that's because I'm in Canada?

Thank you for providing your thoughts on the Pixel vs the Pixel XL everyone, I really appreciate it. I'm still not quite sure what to get. I'm now leaning towards getting the Pixel (non-XL) 128 GB since it's both in stock at the moment and seems only marginally different from the non-XL.

I've talked to some other folks and they say that while the 1440p screen is great, it will eat through battery faster. Someone else made that same point here on the last page. Not sure if it is true; it has given me another thing to think about.

My wife's Pixel is amazing and it makes my Nexus 5 look like a piece of (slow) junk. My Nexus 5 has been a great phone. I did have to do the desk-whack thing a few times though!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vasler posted:

That's very strange. It shows as out of stock for me. Perhaps that's because I'm in Canada?

The Canada Google store is completely different than the USA one so yes.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My pixel nonxl battery lasts easily more than a day. I moved and I never bothered to put a charger on my end table. I plug it in when intake a shower and have coffee since each morning it's hovering around 25% and it's changed by the time I leave for work.

Note I have a 1.5 hour train ride to/from work that is 3+ hours of phone time.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Maybe something's wrong with mine then?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My pixel nonxl battery lasts easily more than a day.

Same. Better than Nexus 6, I think similar to the 6P (for me) though maybe slightly better? It's to the point where of course I wouldn't turn down more battery, but it basically doesn't matter anymore. 20% more would mean like on vacation taking lots of photos or a long flight it would possibly be meaningfully better, but day to day wouldn't give any actual improvement.

hooah posted:

Maybe something's wrong with mine then?

You might just use it more, or use it in a more intensive way, or get worse service, etc.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I played with a Pixel a few weeks ago at the Carphone Warehouse. It's very nice and smooth but the improvements on the UX front aren't enough for me to try to upgrade from my Galaxy S7. I like the camera, waterproofing and battery life on the S7.

Though I know in use the Pixel might feel smoother, in everyday speeds the S7 seems to be faster, and I'm not talking about benchmarks. Loading up games especially seems to be much faster on the Exynos S7. I hope the Pixel 2 has water proofing and the bezels are toned down, as well as having better performance overall.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have an S7 Edge and it's slower in every way to my Pixel XL, and the camera is equal or worse too.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have an S7 Edge and it's slower in every way to my Pixel XL, and the camera is equal or worse too.

I suppose I'm mostly referencing speed test videos I've watched about loading apps, games, videos etc. The S7 always seems to load up faster. Again, the overall UX for the Pixel seems better but otherwise it's not enough yet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Recently my Pixel stopped enabling Secure Lock while I'm at home. I tried to add my current location (which is home) as reinforcement, but it said the location's already a secure location. What else can I do to get this working again?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I suppose I'm mostly referencing speed test videos I've watched about loading apps, games, videos etc. The S7 always seems to load up faster. Again, the overall UX for the Pixel seems better but otherwise it's not enough yet.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one haha. I have both phones and have used the Pixel as my daily regular device for a few months now, and the difference between it and the S7 Edge is night and day. There's a reason all the Pixel owners in this thread rave about it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I use NetGuard for the same purpose. FWIW, it's only a fake VPN...it doesn't actually send your traffic anywhere. I mean, you've got to trust that the app developer isn't loving with you of course.

Looking at the Play Store entry on this and it's unclear how it would work for ad blocking but I'd be interested in learning more.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Which phone do you think would have the better camera?

LG G4 or ZTE Axon 7 Mini

Also, are there any android apps that can compete with Live Photos on the iPhone? The lease on my iPhone is almost up and I want to switch back to android but I really enjoy Live Photos

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 13, 2017

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Looking at the Play Store entry on this and it's unclear how it would work for ad blocking but I'd be interested in learning more.

Apparently DNS66 is better since it only filters out the DNS requests rather than all traffic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Which phone do you think would have the better camera?

LG G4 or ZTE Axon 7 Mini

Also, are there any android apps that can compete with Live Photos on the iPhone? The lease on my iPhone is almost up and I want to switch back to android but I really enjoy Live Photos

Well, the G4 will probably kill itself in the near future, so that's probably not a good choice in any case.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Looten Plunder posted:

Is there an easy way I can use my Nexus 10 as a nanny cam type thing and access it via my Nexus 5X while I'm out?

I've used these apps before:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ivuu

I've only used them on my LAN so you'd have to do some port forwarding to use them remotely but I think there may be other related apps that have a cloud based access platform. Some comments in the ip webcam app reviews suggest using https://www.ivideon.com/ as cloud remote access for that app. I haven't tried it myself but there you go.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Ragingsheep posted:

Apparently DNS66 is better since it only filters out the DNS requests rather than all traffic.

I've been using DNS66 but it was only working half the time so today I'm trying NetGuard. To be fair, I probably configured DNS66 wrong.

With the Play Store version it can't block ads but keep in mind that the only way to make in app purchases is through that version. I haven't bought anything yet for it and am trying the GitHub one.

There are instructions on how to block ads but it seems you can feed it a host file, give it a specific DNS server like NoAds, or pay to block stuff specifically that comes up, like the Google Ads under Google Play Services to block in-app ads.

I'm running NoAds and updated whatever default hosts file it comes with and ads in Chrome are blocked so far. I don't really know what I'm doing with network configuration so I can't say for sure which is better or not, but as of today I'm not getting any ads.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

From what I can tell netguard is like the old proximitron browser app, just a local network layer that discards ads

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Vasler posted:

Thank you for providing your thoughts on the Pixel vs the Pixel XL everyone, I really appreciate it. I'm still not quite sure what to get. I'm now leaning towards getting the Pixel (non-XL) 128 GB since it's both in stock at the moment and seems only marginally different from the non-XL.

I've talked to some other folks and they say that while the 1440p screen is great, it will eat through battery faster. Someone else made that same point here on the last page. Not sure if it is true; it has given me another thing to think about.

My wife's Pixel is amazing and it makes my Nexus 5 look like a piece of (slow) junk. My Nexus 5 has been a great phone. I did have to do the desk-whack thing a few times though!

If you are fond of the Nexus 5 form factor as I am then you will greatly appreciate the non-XL Pixel.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is it possible to have one phone automatically tether to another when it's close enough? I'm using a smartphone mount in my car but it's annoying to always have to take my phone out of my pocket and put it in the mount when I get in my car. I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a second phone, always keep that in the car mount and have it tether to my main phone automatically when I get in my car, so that it would have a data connection for spotify streaming.

Is what I'm thinking about easily feasible or should I just suck it up and keep using one phone for this?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
The correct answer is to leave your loving phone in your pocket and loving drive.

But yes, you could leave tethering turned on and have the second phone set to automatically connect. It'd drain the battery on your main phone pretty quickly, though. And you wouldn't be able to use wifi at home (I don't think you can be broadcasting and receiving at the same time on android).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one haha. I have both phones and have used the Pixel as my daily regular device for a few months now, and the difference between it and the S7 Edge is night and day. There's a reason all the Pixel owners in this thread rave about it.

Don't get me wrong, if I were to be in the market for a phone right now I'd buy the Pixel, no questions asked. But with another year to go before I can upgrade again I couldn't justify the expense.

Is the blue version limited edition or something? That thing looks bitchin' but no one seems to stock it.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Having a second phone in your car at all times seems like a stupid idea. I wouldn't park my car while there's a phone visible on the dashboard. Even if it's a cheap phone, having to replace your windshield or lock because someone tried to steal it sucks and costs money. Unless you hide the phone somewhere, but that defeats the entire purpose, since that phone won't be easily accessible and you might as well just stop being so incredibly lazy and just mount and unmount your phone whenever you hop in your car.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Maybe a head unit with Android Auto would suit your needs more?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Incessant Excess posted:

Is it possible to have one phone automatically tether to another when it's close enough? I'm using a smartphone mount in my car but it's annoying to always have to take my phone out of my pocket and put it in the mount when I get in my car. I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a second phone, always keep that in the car mount and have it tether to my main phone automatically when I get in my car, so that it would have a data connection for spotify streaming.

Is what I'm thinking about easily feasible or should I just suck it up and keep using one phone for this?

Get a magnetic mount

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

azurite posted:

Maybe a head unit with Android Auto would suit your needs more?

This is the solution. Alternately get a new car with it because it seems clear you are going to wreck your old car soon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

God, talk about edge cases.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

My Galaxy S7 has this annoying and random problem where it flashes up an error when trying to make a call, saying Not registered on network. I have to cycle Flight mode to sort it. Is this likely to be a hardware or software problem?

The handset is originally from Vodafone UK directly but I flashed the generic BTU (UK) ROM onto it ages ago and have only recently had issues. It's running the latest version of Android 7.0 that's available for it.

Vodafone customer support said send it back in for repair but I'd like to see if there's anything else I can do first.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, going back to the question of automatic tethering, Google actually IS rolling out an option as long as both devices are Nexus/Pixel.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7308447?hl=en

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

hooah posted:

Recently my Pixel stopped enabling Secure Lock while I'm at home. I tried to add my current location (which is home) as reinforcement, but it said the location's already a secure location. What else can I do to get this working again?

My Mom's did this as well. Check that your Location is in the right spot on the map and not just your address as that can be off by a good margin depending on your location. Once I set it via GPS vs Address, it works fine on hers now.

Also While I have enjoyed the Pixel Launcher's speed and improvements over the Google Now launcher, The HTC Sense launcher is actually not bad for a slimed down version of Sense if you liked the App Drawer (with Play Store icon at the top) and Blinkfeed if you want news thats a bit more robust than the Google Now left screen (however it is a crapshoot if News Republic isn't trying to force feed you crap yo don't care about because "Hey New News Source! Look at it!!!") I miss Sense 5-7 which was better in every way for Blinkfeed at least.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My Galaxy S7 has this annoying and random problem where it flashes up an error when trying to make a call, saying Not registered on network. I have to cycle Flight mode to sort it. Is this likely to be a hardware or software problem?

The handset is originally from Vodafone UK directly but I flashed the generic BTU (UK) ROM onto it ages ago and have only recently had issues. It's running the latest version of Android 7.0 that's available for it.

Vodafone customer support said send it back in for repair but I'd like to see if there's anything else I can do first.

My dad just had this issue with his Verizon Nokia Icon. A Reboot seemed to have fixed it and he was able to Text just fine, really weird why it all of a sudden would drop phone support though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Simpliified version:

It looks to Android like a VPN service. So Android sends all network traffic to NetGuard. A real VPN service would then be sending the traffic through to a VPN server somewhere. NetGuard just sends it right back to Android with ads filtered out.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
NetGuard doesn't seem super reliable for blocking in-app ads. But then, neither is my pihole, so :shrug:.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't get terrible apps and then you don't have to see ads.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hooah posted:

NetGuard doesn't seem super reliable for blocking in-app ads. But then, neither is my pihole, so :shrug:.

Well they work in a similar way so it's not surprising

What apps are you using that have ads that can't be purchased away anyway?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hooah posted:

This happens to me occasionally and a quick reboot seems to clear it up.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Endless Mike posted:

Don't get terrible apps and then you don't have to see ads.

Browser ads though. I mean I guess you could just use firefox but Chrome has all my stuff.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Skarsnik posted:

Well they work in a similar way so it's not surprising

What apps are you using that have ads that can't be purchased away anyway?

Words With Friends, which last time I checked was asking $10 to remove ads, and Griddlers Plus are the two most noticeable. I should get around to paying to remove ads from Griddlers Plus, I've just been lazy mostly.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

havenwaters posted:

Browser ads though. I mean I guess you could just use firefox but Chrome has all my stuff.

Syncing your Firefox and Chrome bookmarks might be the best way. I don't really like Firefox on PC and have all my stuff on Chrome too but it seems to be the only way to get the best of both worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

havenwaters posted:

I dunno, NetGuard seems to pretty much eliminate these.