Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

lets hang out posted:

jesus christ i explore every map top to bottom and i haven't even found enough to max out dual swords

I mean, to be fair, I'm like right at the end of the game (or what I assume is the end). They really start throwing the high-yield ones at you as you close in on the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Got summoned, we're at the bat boss already except he's standing in a corner praying and other than the dash Hino Emma does when she spawns she did nothing the entire fight. :confused:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So I found this loving sweet gun and set, and I've been completely destroying levels. It auto-targets weak spots, gives life back when you hit a weak spot, and the 7 piece bonus is crazy good. Add that to the ninjitsu that lets you get bullets back when you headshot people, and i'm just waltzing my way through levels with my stupid good gun.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Nue

cozyduck
Feb 16, 2011

Calidus posted:

Also the risk vs reward for a parry doesn't seem that great.

That is definitely not true. For example with the katana you can do:

Square parry -> square again (causes enemy knockdown) -> Ki Pulse cancel into Iai Quickdraw (preferably Quickdraw III) -> if you're fast enough, ki pulse into Iai Quickdraw again, otherwise skip -> down stab -> stance change to low into heavenly flash (might need to whiff first hit of combo for it to connect)

This is just one variant of the possible punishes and will net you ridiculous damage. See for instance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QRnYeWb-Ko&t=96s

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Thumbtacks posted:

So I found this loving sweet gun and set, and I've been completely destroying levels. It auto-targets weak spots, gives life back when you hit a weak spot, and the 7 piece bonus is crazy good. Add that to the ninjitsu that lets you get bullets back when you headshot people, and i'm just waltzing my way through levels with my stupid good gun.

I'm a good way into NG+ and have explored every area thoroughly. I haven't seen anything like this, though. Jealous.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

I'm a good way into NG+ and have explored every area thoroughly. I haven't seen anything like this, though. Jealous.

I got most of the set in the area with the giant skeleton boss from the revenants you have to fight, plus the area after it. I'm very happy with it. My main complaint is that you can't boost gun damage, but considering headshots with this do like 9k I'm not complaining. It's not great against yokai, but I bet with the good ammo it'd be fine.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I had a really cool Kusarigama with a bunch of high attack bonuses on it that I have been using and feeding stuff to keep up in level with, but it seems that the amount of money it costs to keep it leveled is going up exponentially faster then the amount of money I'm getting. Is it viable to keep leveling equipment with you, or should I just be swapping in new weapons at this point?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I had a really cool Kusarigama with a bunch of high attack bonuses on it that I have been using and feeding stuff to keep up in level with, but it seems that the amount of money it costs to keep it leveled is going up exponentially faster then the amount of money I'm getting. Is it viable to keep leveling equipment with you, or should I just be swapping in new weapons at this point?

It's only worth it once you start getting Divine gear in NG+, otherwise dump it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

If it's not green I just convert to amrita :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just beat the mountain mission.

:smith:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bugblatter posted:

If it's not green I just convert to amrita :v:

You should probably disassemble them/sell them to the Blacksmith. As you use her you'll get points you can use to unlock discounts, extra items in the shop, ect. The amrita conversion rate is ridiculously low anyway.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Has anyone here beaten "A Meeting on the Other Shore", and if so, how? It's the only thing I have left in NG and it just seems completely impossible. (Ugh, might resort to sloth talismans for the first time, I have a feeling this wouldn't even be super easy with them.)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

^^ I did, but by gaining levels and abilities in NG+ and coming back, plus using sloth on one with lifeseal on the other.

RatHat posted:

You should probably disassemble them/sell them to the Blacksmith. As you use her you'll get points you can use to unlock discounts, extra items in the shop, ect. The amrita conversion rate is ridiculously low anyway.

I'm more than halfway through NG+ and have not used the blacksmith once :v:

I have got received a ton levels out of amrita conversion, though.

I don't like messing around with equipment and there doesn't seem to be a need. Just putting on whatever has the biggest numbers, or has an awesome perk, has done me fine.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 13, 2017

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
ok i got the 7 piece of that set and jesus christ it's so good. auto tracks headshots, life on headshots, bullets returned on a headshot kill, 20% chance to not lose a bullet when you shoot it.

not sure if you GAIN bullets on kills if that 20% chance procs, but I'd assume not.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

^^ I did, but by gaining levels and abilities in NG+ and coming back, plus using sloth on one with lifeseal on the other.

I don't like messing around with equipment and there doesn't seem to be a need. Just putting on whatever has the biggest numbers, or has an awesome perk, has done me fine.

Wait you haven't even reforged? You can reroll perks to get some absolutely amazing ones. (Life recovery on kill/hit/skill use, add agility scaling, etc.) Also you can level up divine weapons in NG+ (although I blew all my gold reforging a divine Raikiri so I haven't tried it).

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Bugblatter posted:

When you start messing with gear synergy, things can get really silly. I'm up to about 120% damage hitting enemies from the rear, and 40% bonus ki damage. Big Yokai go down in seconds.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Thumbtacks posted:

ok i got the 7 piece of that set and jesus christ it's so good. auto tracks headshots, life on headshots, bullets returned on a headshot kill, 20% chance to not lose a bullet when you shoot it.

not sure if you GAIN bullets on kills if that 20% chance procs, but I'd assume not.

Raven set is baller as gently caress. I transformed the helm to look like the one with the 3 red eyes though. Matches the gun better.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Something I really appreciate that this game does regarding refilling your elixirs: If you are low and have none in the storehouse, it'll give you 3 (plus your kodama bonus) when you use a shrine, which is cool. But there's more minutiae to it than it seems like at first! If you have more than 0 and less than what you would get, it doesn't overwrite the ones you had to get you back up to 3, it sends them to the storehouse. So that 1 you had before it restored you to 3 is safe, and it gave you 3 freebies instead of 2.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 13, 2017

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Raven set is baller as gently caress. I transformed the helm to look like the one with the 3 red eyes though. Matches the gun better.

What helmet is that?

Also I might reroll matchlock damage onto whatever I can, but I'm not sure how likely it is that it'll work.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I beat the bat lady boss after about 5 tries, once I got used to dodging her ranged stuff (though I always got hit with her spikes from the air) and liberal use of grenades she went down without much ceremony. Thanks to the thread for the shuriken tip for when she flies, did a ton of damage.

I've gone with the dual katanas/kusarigama/ninjitsu build, I was leaning heavily on the dual katanas at the start for fighting humans but now I just seem to use the gama for everything.

I'm on the side mission now where the "boss" is the waves of progressively harder yokai, multiple enemy fighting is tricky especially in these combinations.

edit:

Actually I have a question, I'm not sure I understand how quickdraw is meant to work i.e. sign of the cross. I don't seem to be able to get it to trigger?

Stangg fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 13, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

When you start messing with gear synergy, things can get really silly. I'm up to about 120% damage hitting enemies from the rear, and 40% bonus ki damage. Big Yokai go down in seconds.

I was already disappointed by how OP I felt in the late game... so I'm kind of glad I haven't touched any of the blacksmith stuff.

I have sooooooo much gold though. And nothing to spend it on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wow, the items, skills etc that say "+1 Ki" or similar literally do give you 1 ki. I assumed the +1 represented a percentage or something but no it literally changed my ki from 96 to 97 and now that bonus seems a lot less useful!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I got to the end of the tower, wrecked the boss, then got super wrecked. This game seems fun!!!

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Am I a bad summon if I let the host die to the boss if it's the first time they've fought it? I feel like some people summon to find the next shrine or whatever and I don't want to ruin their game. (I've been farming glory helping out low level missions and I can kill the bosses in like three seconds.)

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hurray. Finally beat the Snow Woman. Really awesome boss fight, great fun with midstance blocking + the blade rush from the dual blades, and liberally applied headshots. I love the fighting system and its countless fun ninja tools! I'm also somewhat surprised how fun and varied the bosses are; so far, I've met only one boss that was kinda dull, uninspired and easy (Spider Woman... still don't know what her deal is even, that boss just straight up can't handle dodging to the sides. Lame.

But I'm starting to notice the weaknesses of the level design. I'm missing easily identified land marks which prevent you from getting lost - the snow level is especially bad about this. Also, I'm kinda disappointed that there aren't that many region-specific enemies; it kinda makes things feel same-y when you stumble over the exact same couple yokai on every corner. In some places, the level layout becomes TOO labyrinthine, just winding corridors and ruins with barely any sense of location. It really feels more like Ninja Gaiden than Dark Souls in some places, too, especially the locations set up for enemy waves.

Of course, Dark Souls is guilty of the exact same thing in various places... I just feel like Nioh doesn't do exploration and environment design as well. But I've still got half the game (???) ahead of me, so there might be more awesome levels like Spider House or Ocean Temple.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
How do you order things in your equipment/the storehouse menu by type (as in, sets are listed together)?? I did it once by accident and I cannot for the life of me figure out how. It's not showing up in the R3 click menu.

edit: Found it, you have to go to 'All items' and then the 'Order by type' option appears after rarity but before newest. Finally I can look at equipment I already have duplicates of, god drat.

further edit: Something I appreciate about the game's writing is that Hanzo continues to call William by his name even though more and more people start referring to him as Anjin as the game goes on. You are cool and my friend, Hattori Hanzo.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 13, 2017

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Gnumonic posted:

Am I a bad summon if I let the host die to the boss if it's the first time they've fought it? I feel like some people summon to find the next shrine or whatever and I don't want to ruin their game. (I've been farming glory helping out low level missions and I can kill the bosses in like three seconds.)

You do you, but keep in mind that they're asking for help. Some people are just bad at this game. Remember the lone, lovely bandit walking around the initial courtyard of the level where you fight Nue? Pretty sure he has the sloppy swordsman moveset (the one where they overextend on that big swipe) and is entirely unarmored, but I found several revenants around him. One of which was "NinjaGrandpa" :smith:.

To give some perspective on a really good visitor, I summoned one to beat Nue because I thought it was the final boss and it was giving me trouble. Whoops! My visitor pal stuck around as I talked to Onmyo lady and then lead me through the catacombs and helped out with the real boss without just soloing it. They lead me to every item and kodama, demonstrated the pressure plates and how to avoid them, and if I accidentally pulled an enemy they'd double back and make sure I wasn't getting swamped. All from a random pubbie visitor. Wish I could remember their tag, but this was days ago and I didn't think to write it down.

I actually haven't helped anyone else yet, but that was a real pay-it-forward experience. Think I might start tonight after work. Anyone who just hides in a corner and watches is gonna see the Harakiri sword in action, though. :v:

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I don't think you can commit hari kiri while summoned. I wish though.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I enjoy how easy multiplayer is in this, there is always someone looking and the random feature gets you someone connected in seconds better then hunting symbols in Souls. Although 80% of the time its the dam water stage if you don't filter by stage.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Yeah, the Yatagarasu Set is insane. I'm a couple missions away from being able to easily farm it but when I do I'm going to wear it all the time.

Plus it looks rad as hell

Although I might actually go for the Justice Ministry set because it increases the rate at which your Amrita Gauge charges and makes your Living Weapon last longer and I'm way into both of those things. It's going to be hard to choose.

Light armor gets all the best sets, turns out.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

CJacobs posted:

further edit: Something I appreciate about the game's writing is that Hanzo continues to call William by his name even though more and more people start referring to him as Anjin as the game goes on. You are cool and my friend, Hattori Hanzo.

Even if his role in this game is mostly taking you somewhere and then peacing the gently caress out when the fighting starts. :v:

Just beat chapter 5 and boy was that last boss kinda bad. I get what they were trying to do with his weak points and giving you infinite Ki to wail on his head but it was just kinda janky and not fun to fight.

Also he looked like something off an 80s metal album cover. That's not a bad thing but weirdly out of place.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 13, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Trying to play this game as much without magic or ninjitsu stuff as one can (I just started swinging an axe and decide and my guy is too dumb for the fancy stuff) and I'd say this overall, objectively, is a handicapped way to play. Onmyo magic seems exceedingly useful and I'll be dipping deep into it whenever I reroll a character but I'll say this, using just your might to overcome bosses IS a great way to learn their patterns, because you have no choice.

The Co-op in this game kind of blows. It's such a pain in the rear end to have to first beat a level before you can be summoned as a visitor, but worse still you can't do that from WITHIN the level. I fail to see why they couldn't make this the case, there's now no option to be a summoned phantom to help somebody with a boss (and learn it yourself in the process) without having to abandon a mission and your progress within it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Thumbtacks posted:

What helmet is that?

Also I might reroll matchlock damage onto whatever I can, but I'm not sure how likely it is that it'll work.

Kuro-Garasu. You can see it on some enemies that use matchlocks. Look for the glowing red eyes :v: Can't remember where I found mine, but it was probably in region 5 or 6.

Yodzilla posted:

Just beat chapter 5 and boy was that last boss kinda bad. I get what they were trying to do with his weak points and giving you infinite Ki to wail on his head but it was just kinda janky and not fun to fight.

Also he looked like something off an 80s metal album cover. That's not a bad thing but weirdly out of place.

Yea that was centipede 2.0 for me. Not hard, but janky.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 13, 2017

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

cozyduck posted:

Square parry -> square again (causes enemy knockdown) -> Ki Pulse cancel into Iai Quickdraw (preferably Quickdraw III) -> if you're fast enough, ki pulse into Iai Quickdraw again, otherwise skip -> down stab -> stance change to low into heavenly flash (might need to whiff first hit of combo for it to connect)

This is just one variant of the possible punishes and will net you ridiculous damage. See for instance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QRnYeWb-Ko&t=96s

hmm is the enemy knockdown attack to another skill? Also i always forget about using lai in the middle of a fight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cozyduck posted:

Yeah, the parries are amazing when you can pull them off.

Haze II (the square katana parry into the stab when you press square again) has always been tricky for me to time, because the second square press has to come so quickly after the successful parry that you have to basically know you've succeeded before you see the animation telling you that you succeeded. That said, I don't think that's a bad thing--it's a move that requires confidence. It's also amazingly satisfying to do against human bosses like Tachibana and Honda.

I haven't played with the other parries much. For katana, at least, Haze seems like the clear winner. I'm not really sure what the triangle parry is there for, because it does just about the exact same thing as one of the two square parry options and Sword Ki is better than having two parries anyway.

Calidus posted:

hmm is the enemy knockdown attack to another skill? Also i always forget about using lai in the middle of a fight.

The knockdown comes from Haze II. You press square immediately after successfully parrying and you'll stab them in the back and make them fall over.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 13, 2017

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
The Way of The Warrior: Novice tutorial is glitched for me. I can pick up the locks. use the locks and unlock the sword ki move but then nothing. It just says I can move on to the next tutorial but there's no little flame to pick up. I'd not worry about it but I want those free locks before I go further into the second region.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SamuraiPaul posted:

The Way of The Warrior: Novice tutorial is glitched for me. I can pick up the locks. use the locks and unlock the sword ki move but then nothing. It just says I can move on to the next tutorial but there's no little flame to pick up. I'd not worry about it but I want those free locks before I go further into the second region.

There is no other sparkly in that one. It wants you to use the Skill Customization menu to remove or equip a skill, then it'll move on.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Is there any kind of master list that covers weapon buffs that are incompatible through soul matching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Dual Katanas and Onmyo are a killer build. I'm around level 70 and with 25 in Skill and I'm trying to get Magic up to 15, but every new spell I learn only makes me incrementally more powerful. 2K alone are great; their Light->Heavy->Heavy kick combo decimates health and Ki bars, and it has usually been leading right into a Final Attack. If I get the standing Final Attack, it chains into the 2K version of the Iai Quickdraw or the standing blender. And that blender move is choice for large enemies, especially when combined with Power Pills and the Onmyo Weakness and Sloth (I'm going to grab Carnage and see how crazy the damage can get). With elemental weapons I can connect so many hits that the numbers are still popping up well after I've backed off the regain Ki.

It was mentioned before in this thread that each weapon has a decent moveset without the skill trees, and that's true. Right from the start you are incredible competent with everything and can beat the game without investing a single Samurai skill point. But boy, once you start getting some skills the combo system really takes off. Like using the 2K's low stance dodge upgrade to trigger an attack boost, then switching the mid and using the rushing blender to get behind an enemy before starting the kick->quadslash into Final Attack. I really wish there were more quickslots for items, though.