Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
He Never Died is fantastic. Rollins kills it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Slandible posted:

In need of some more good horror movies on Netlifx. Have seen and love things like:

It Follows
Green Room
Hush
Kristy
Babadook
Girl Walks Home
The Host
Youre Next
Bound to Vengeance

(Obviously like horror with a heroine)

The Innkeepers! What a loving great movie. Horror with a heroine, well acted and a script that didn't make me cringe. It's a little slow i suppose, but I'd probably say it has at least the pace of Babadook and It Follows.

edit and a great poster/splash/cover art

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 12, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Hound posted:

The Innkeepers! What a loving great movie. Horror with a heroine, well acted and a script that didn't make me cringe. It's a little slow i suppose, but I'd probably say it has at least the pace of Babadook and It Follows.

edit and a great poster/splash/cover art

Really love the chemistry of the leads in this movie. Really breaks the whole "Characters in horror movies suck" trope with two charming characters.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

Really love the chemistry of the leads in this movie. Really breaks the whole "Characters in horror movies suck" trope with two charming characters.

Yes! I believed pretty much every second they were on screen, they really pulled off a couple scenes in particular that were tense to me in different ways the scene where he thinks it's leading up to a kiss, but she just wants to keep scooby-dooing, and the scene just after where she sees the ghost, but he doesn't want to turn around.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Holy crap, Michael Bolton's Big Sexy Valentines Day Special is really, really good.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
"A Hard Day" was really tense and fantastic for those who appreciate korean thrillers.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

tweet my meat posted:

It's close enough. I just got through watching Outrage and No Tears for the Dead. The former was a pretty fun yakuza flick, the latter being a pretty solid action movie about an assassin who protects his target instead of killing her.

Did you watch Beyond Outrage? Also very much worth a watch.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm getting to Beyond Outrage in a bit, though in the maintime I got through watching The Tiger, a Korean 1925 period piece set during Japanese colonial rule of Korea about a retired tiger hunter joining up with a group of other tiger hunters working for the Japanese military for one last job, slaying a legendary tiger living in the mountains. It was a solid movie and definitely gets my recommendation.

It's a pretty emotional movie that mostly focuses on the main character's quite depressing story, but if you're just there to see a tiger rip a whole lot of dudes up, don't touch that dial, because the cg tiger scenes, while not top tier cg by any stretch, are absolutely brutal and definitely sells the idea of this tiger being legendary.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Michael Bolton's Big Sexy Valentine's Day Special is hilarious.

Here's hoping for more Netflix-funded The Lonely Island & Comedy Bang Bang/Scot Aukerman collabos; their comedy meshes together so well.

"You're having problems conceiving? OH, you're having problems conceiving the premise of this telethon. Okay."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Franchescanado posted:

Here's hoping for more Netflix-funded The Lonely Island & Comedy Bang Bang/Scot Aukerman collabos; their comedy meshes together so well.

"You're having problems conceiving? OH, you're having problems conceiving the premise of this telethon. Okay."

My favorite moment of the entire thing is Andy Samberg playing Kenny G. I immediately thought "That is so stupid and hilarious at the same time, I wonder what the real Kenny G is going to think about this. Cut to Kenny G as the janitor. Amazing

And for Person of Interest fans, Sarah Shahi shows up briefly and looks amazing as always.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

My favorite moment of the entire thing is Andy Samberg playing Kenny G. I immediately thought "That is so stupid and hilarious at the same time, I wonder what the real Kenny G is going to think about this. Cut to Kenny G as the janitor. Amazing

And for Person of Interest fans, Sarah Shahi shows up briefly and looks amazing as always.

It has so many great throwaway jokes like that.

I was very impressed with Maya Rudolph's key change love song and loved Andy Richter telling his dad to go bang strangers for Santa, and the running gag that Michael Bolton is so quick to pull out a gun to kill someone.

Just a great hour of comedy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

It has so many great throwaway jokes like that.

I was very impressed with Maya Rudolph's key change love song and loved Andy Richter telling his dad to go bang strangers for Santa, and the running gag that Michael Bolton is so quick to pull out a gun to kill someone.

Just a great hour of comedy.

"Maybe we should take a break, you just dropped your gun and shot a cat." "No I didn't." "I can see the dead cat over there!" "That was there before." "There's literally cat blood all over your wall..."

I remember thinking Michael Bolton was pretty much dead until Jack Sparrow came out, and then I thought "Oh snap, he knows it's okay to make fun of himself, he might be a cool dude after all."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I really liked the Valentine's day Special. Bob Saget? Gold!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I really can't wrap my head around Michael Bolton, romance singer of the 80s and 90s, now in his old age is into the silly young absurdist style comedy. I want to know how he met Andy Samberg.

e: and he is good at it too. Special is hilarious.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 13, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
:thejoke:?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Franchescanado posted:

Some of the Birthday Boys were involved in writing as well. If you like this and haven't checked out The Birthday Boys do it. I rewatch this about once a month. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhlgQV6WctQ

Edit: Woh. Wrote this before I knew they were writers on CBB. So ignore most of what I just wrote, but still check out The Birthday Boys.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Yeah I guess it's part of the unspoken joke, but I mean as a person. He could just see it as an acting gig, but he keeps doing it so you have to assume he actually likes it and I don't know many 63 year olds that want to watch Hot Rod.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

drunken officeparty posted:

Yeah I guess it's part of the unspoken joke, but I mean as a person. He could just see it as an acting gig, but he keeps doing it so you have to assume he actually likes it and I don't know many 63 year olds that want to watch Hot Rod.

This would make sense if Hot Rod created this type of humor, but absurdist slapstick with meta-jokes has been around since the at least 70's, and (almost) everyone has seen Airplane!.

Every comedy needs a straight man who isn't in on the joke, and Bolton does pretty well at channeling Leslie Neilson deadpan, but with more charm. He's obviously having a great time with the material (he is holding back laughter in every shot he's in for the Eric Andre Kupid Shuffle Dance).

Your question of "Why would Michael Bolton want to be the headline and star of a comedy special written by a comedy group he's collaborated with a few times with career-booming success and a huge list of comedian cameos and musical numbers on the most popular streaming service?" answers itself, bud.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

7 Days in Hell is fantastic, don't know what streaming service its on though. A big recommendation, especially if you already like the Lonely Island projects mentioned above.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

drunken officeparty posted:

I think you're selling their experience a little short. They're all former SNL writers/performers and they already had a history of working with big name talent (their first album had guest appearances from Justin Timberlake, Natalie Portman, T-Pain, and Norah Jones), they weren't just three guys who made a commercially unsuccessful comedy movie, which happened to develop a cult following.

I heard an interview a while back where Michael Bolton talks about working with them, and the impression that I got was that he was vaguely aware of them before, but that he wasn't a fan or anything, and basically said "sure, I'm interested, send me an idea and if I like it, I'll do it".

I'm sure there was a bit of "I get exposure to a younger crowd", but The Lonely Island guys seem to have a good reputation for making sure that whoever they're working with is in on the joke and is comfortable, so I'm guessing he saw it as low risk too. He also talked about how much fun it was to work with them, which is something that I've heard other people comment on too.

He probably thought it'd be something fun to do, with a good payday, and now he's on board because it's fun (and how often does a 60 year old love song crooner get to look cool again).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

I think you're selling their experience a little short. They're all former SNL writers/performers and they already had a history of working with big name talent (their first album had guest appearances from Justin Timberlake, Natalie Portman, T-Pain, and Norah Jones), they weren't just three guys who made a commercially unsuccessful comedy movie, which happened to develop a cult following.

I heard an interview a while back where Michael Bolton talks about working with them, and the impression that I got was that he was vaguely aware of them before, but that he wasn't a fan or anything, and basically said "sure, I'm interested, send me an idea and if I like it, I'll do it".

I'm sure there was a bit of "I get exposure to a younger crowd", but The Lonely Island guys seem to have a good reputation for making sure that whoever they're working with is in on the joke and is comfortable, so I'm guessing he saw it as low risk too. He also talked about how much fun it was to work with them, which is something that I've heard other people comment on too.

He probably thought it'd be something fun to do, with a good payday, and now he's on board because it's fun (and how often does a 60 year old love song crooner get to look cool again).

There's also writers from The Birthday Boys and Comedy Bang Bang, the latter being very popular among celebrities who enjoy doing comedy.

The Lonely Island has been pretty notorious ever since their YouTube days with Just 2 Guyz, and even bigger when Kiefer Sutherland interrupted a video they were making because he thought they were actually attacking an old woman. Their Awesometown and Lonely Island pilots were circulated to every big studio, and SNL just shot them through the roof. I heard they became the number one requested group to work with on SNL, but I could be wrong.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Don't forget, they've worked together before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6CfKcMhjY

EDIT: More to the point, here's him talking about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX3tDGz7NuI

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 13, 2017

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Thanks for the horror suggestions, added them all and watched a few. Let Us Prey was fun, but He Never Died was a real gem. Rollins being real deadpan in it sold it as he is typically off the walls.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The Michael Bolton special was hilarious. I think my favorite part of it was the guy throwing the cop outfit at the other cops to get in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Fascinating debate up in here about whether it's possible for a rich 60 year old singer to have a sense of humor. Surely we haven't already forgotten Pat Boone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvlt6POm-lc

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Love Season 2 comes out next month.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

gently caress yeah

Also I've been watching Hello My Twenties cause my Korean language teacher told us to watch Korean shows and it's actually really compelling.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The Michael Bolton special also timed up with the release of his new album which (apparently) shares songs with the special.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I purposefully waited until today to watch the Bolton special and it was great.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I purposefully waited until today to watch the Bolton special and it was great.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

A MIRACLE posted:

gently caress yeah

Also I've been watching Hello My Twenties cause my Korean language teacher told us to watch Korean shows and it's actually really compelling.

It's not on any of the streaming sites, but watch The Genius.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
It shouldn't annoy me as much as it does but I've seen so many people talk about the Michael Bolton special like it's a Lonely Island thing when it's very much a Scott Aukerman thing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It shouldn't annoy me as much as it does but I've seen so many people talk about the Michael Bolton special like it's a Lonely Island thing when it's very much a Scott Aukerman thing.

Well considering all three of them are in it, it's understandable. Lot more people know Lonely Island than Scott Aukerman. :). Not to mention they're kind of the ones that brigh brought Bolton into the musical comedy world.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I wonder how Michael Bolton from Office Space feels about the new cool and hip Michael Bolton.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rough Lobster posted:

I wonder how Michael Bolton from Office Space feels about the new cool and hip Michael Bolton.

Office Space Michael Bolton posts on r/Incel

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Chichevache posted:

Office Space Michael Bolton posts on r/Incel

Thanks for ruining my early 20s

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Finally gotten around to watching Belladonna Of Sadness (from Shudder, since it was taken off of Prime)

I enjoyed the soundtrack more than anything else. It's like an 70s Italian soundtrack with Japanese singers. The actual story is interesting but the 'animation' is more like an intricate drawing that they pan over. It swings from very crude to very visually impressive the black plague segment was out of this world and worth the runtime

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I have no TV so I must've missed the fact that Stake Land had a sequel last year - was it any good? Can i find it online somewhere?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Love is such an overlooked gem on Netflix. One of my top 10 shows of 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Love is such an overlooked gem on Netflix. One of my top 10 shows of 2016.

Season 2 looks like it doubles the budget and is increasing the scope in action as well as the emotional challenges of the characters.

In even better news, they've already been approved for a Season 3.