Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnHaPVP-opw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

what are the chances of one falling off, hitting another and you getting 2?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

what are the chances of one falling off, hitting another and you getting 2?

Less than one falling off, getting wedged between the glass and the platform, and no amount of kicking the gently caress out of the building or banging on the glass will dislodge it.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I went to the car vending machine and wanted a Volkswagen GTI. It was labelled AA so I hit A twice. A fuckin' Mini Cooper S fell out! Apparently there is an AA button I didn't see.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mini Cooper S' are fine but I was in the mood for a GTI and now I REALLY want that GTI and the Mini ain't cuttin' it.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Can't get my car, vending machine wouldn't take the last of the 21,000 one dollar bills I put in

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You go to the store with your buddy to help buy a candy bar, but it's taking forever arguing over the kinds of candy bar, because the salesman's girlfriend keeps breaking up and getting back together with him, and you're getting so bored you just need to go for some top down motoring. So you go to the waiting room and spy a Saab 900 convertible in the vending machine. You put your money in, and it gets stuck. You go find someone who can help, and when you get back, you catch the maintenance guy driving off in a Saab 900 convertible! So you come up with an elaborate ruse to prove that the maintenance guy stole your Saab.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Previa_fun posted:

I went to the car vending machine and wanted a Volkswagen GTI. It was labelled AA so I hit A twice. A fuckin' Mini Cooper S fell out! Apparently there is an AA button I didn't see.

You need to practice your aa bb cc's.

God god dammit dammit.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Interlaced video?

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Yesterday was almost 60 degrees so I took the death kart out of the garage for some fun and GoPro mount testing. Did one on the helmet and one on the front frame then took a few runs. The last run of the day ended in spectacular fashion due to the melting snow/wet tires. I couldn't stop laughing, and I was digging snow out of every crevice in the kart.

https://youtu.be/MRgm4VH6S1Y

You have all the cool toys, man.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CharlesM posted:

well of course he does, he's the emperor of brazil

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

From that R63 home rebuild thread, the coolest wrench ever:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

CharlesM posted:

The benefit of living out in the country I suppose; room to play.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

From that R63 home rebuild thread, the coolest wrench ever:

I googled because I was curious. Pretty interesting story but I haven't read much of it. Dude buys a rare Mercedes (like <50 in the US), gets a $57k repair bill for the engine, decides to do it himself.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/r63-amg-the-unicorn-of-my-destruction/110824/page1/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Larrymer posted:

...gets a $57k repair bill for the engine...

:aaaaa:

howwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww??????

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Remove oil cap. Replace all components under oil cap. Oil cap installation is reverse of removal.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The benefit of living out in the country I suppose; room to play.

Here here. I had my quad out pulling my son behind on a sled, and then had some fun 3rd gear drifting through the yard. I need more toys, though.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Superior German Engineering

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

honda whisperer posted:

Remove oil cap. Replace all components under oil cap. Oil cap installation is reverse of removal.

And don't even ask how much it costs if you ever have to replace the oil cap.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As mentioned in the thread where it came up recently, it's not an engine repair, it's an engine swap. Bolts are popping their heads and instead of fussing with it Mercedes replaces the whole drat thing.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

AMG crate motors are like $40k? :shrug:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There's one of those automatic parking garages near me, but all the parking is under ground so you don't get to see it move. :saddowns:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

As mentioned in the thread where it came up recently, it's not an engine repair, it's an engine swap. Bolts are popping their heads and instead of fussing with it Mercedes replaces the whole drat thing.

It's something that affects all of the early *63 AMG cars, doesn't it? I know my dad was paranoid about it but his C63 is just new enough to have the upgraded head bolts.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

xzzy posted:

Bloody hell.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yep, it happens, I've seen bolts designed by very big names in the aero engine business that fail in the same way.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

InitialDave posted:

Yep, it happens, I've seen bolts designed by very big names in the aero engine business that fail in the same way.

You'd think by now this is a solved problem and we'd all just use a lookup table to choose standardised bolts but noooooooo.

It's not like we've been building stuff like this since the age of steam or anything? :hydrogen:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Price point engineering knows no bounds.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

skyrender posted:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/r63-amg-the-unicorn-of-my-destruction/110824/page28/
Anyone who thinks German engineering is somehow superior has never dealt with German engineering.

As a general, stereotypical "rule," they overengineer the snot out of most everything and design zero maintainability into their products because they are so overconfident of said engineering ability that they believe nothing could ever possibly fail and require maintenance.

And then of course the one bolt that they didn't overengineer fails spectacularly.

(I too have witnessed this ethos)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Guinness posted:

yeah this

are they failing due to corrosion? looks like a bit more than light surface rust

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I fail to see the purpose of this when there's a parking lot right there?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meltie posted:

You'd think by now this is a solved problem and we'd all just use a lookup table to choose standardised bolts but noooooooo.

It's not like we've been building stuff like this since the age of steam or anything? :hydrogen:
They're generally pretty good, it's very rare. Like once or twice in the hundreds of different components I've enountered.

"Standard" parts really aren't up to snuff for dedicated roles. A lot of standardised parts are used, but a lot of the time, they want precisely what they want.

Guinness posted:

TBH they probably didn't save much over doing it "right". Design failure in my opinion.

BraveUlysses posted:

are they failing due to corrosion? looks like a bit more than light surface rust
Possibly, hard to tell without a lot more information, but the immediate issue is the too-small cross section between the underhead radius and the bottom of the wrenching interface. Notice it's failed cracking into that, not straight across and popping the head off clean.

The corrosion may well be a red herring rather than a factor in the failure.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

BraveUlysses posted:

Ah ha ha ha ha, where do you live?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
It's heat-fatigue. With the torx head there's very little material left between the head and the actual bolt. AFAIK the "fixed" bolts are simply reverse torx...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Crustashio posted:

I hate FB links but I couldn't find this on YT. Guy drives the hell out of an EG civic at bathurst.

https://www.facebook.com/kaidoallstars/videos/1861106010833905/

Then incar of the whole race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXPEJVHsi_k

Jesus. He's using every bit of that little Honda's weight advantage in late braking and diving into corners. Impressive. Too bad the Celica had to tap out. That was a race.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I love plucky little civics.

Someone uploaded a rear-facing camera of that car and it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9bQ1UGLLLg

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
That's the Phillip Island gp circuit. It appears to be all of the same cars but on a flatter circuit. Phillip Island is pretty cool though cause it's super fast and the drivers risk getting hit by a seagull along one of the straights.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Crustashio posted:

I love plucky little civics.

Someone uploaded a rear-facing camera of that car and it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9bQ1UGLLLg

Tripodding Civics are best Civics, there's one of those Nurburgring videos featuring a friend of mine in his tweaked EP3 going round a corner with his left rear a solid foot in the air... Numberplate K20 GAY. :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Darchangel posted:

Jesus. He's using every bit of that little Honda's weight advantage in late braking and diving into corners. Impressive. Too bad the Celica had to tap out. That was a race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCeF-bZK684

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRKxkxegEbM

That Civic is truly insane

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
http://i.imgur.com/y7ND3ZG.gifv

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Daily driven McLaren 650S. Parks with the plebs and doesn't even go out of his way to park in a corner of the garage or anything. In this picture he's at least at the edge of the row, but most days he's crammed in between two big SUVs with like 4 inches of clearance on both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy