Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm curious how much damage the elemental talismans add at high Magic stats. Right now my Magic is at 15 and I'm considering leaving it there if bit doesn't affect debuff build-up or duration, but adding extra damage with elemental talismans is tempting.

I don't use them too often right now since both of my main weapons are already elemental and stack status effects just fine, but I could see myself using more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

I really wish there were more quickslots for items, though.

Definitely. I'm deep into ninjutsu and it's really annoying that I can't get all the poo poo I want into the quick slots.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I don't know what he's on about with that one. BB plays about as fast as Nioh and it's possibly even more generous with stamina.

Don't get me wrong, Bloodbourne was definitely tighter controlled than the Souls games, but it still felt "off" to me. Kind of hard to describe, but like there was lag between input and action. Not a *ton* but enough to get me killed sometimes and when it's a controls-related death I get upset.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Don't get me wrong, Bloodbourne was definitely tighter controlled than the Souls games, but it still felt "off" to me. Kind of hard to describe, but like there was lag between input and action. Not a *ton* but enough to get me killed sometimes and when it's a controls-related death I get upset.

But some of that was just the lovely framerate. Every game needs to copy movie mode and action mode from now on. 60fps is just wonderful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm trying to decide if keeping 12 Stamina and 13 Strength just in case I want to wear medium armor (12 Stamina because it's what's necessary to stay in B Agility in the heavier medium sets) is worth it. What are some cool medium armor set bonuses? Now that I've seen how small of a damage reduction difference there is, I'm 100% in this for the set bonuses, and light armor seems to have way more exciting ones. The medium Kingo set is pretty cool--it gives you +20% damage from behind--but aside from that, medium sets don't seem to have nearly as cool of bonuses as light and heavy sets do.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I don't know what he's on about with that one. BB plays about as fast as Nioh and it's possibly even more generous with stamina.

Bloodborne is way more generous with Stamina than Nioh is with Ki, I think. I rarely truly ran out, while in Nioh I'll definitely run completely out if I'm not actively paying attention to it. You can go longer from one Ki bar in Nioh than you can with one Stamina bar in Bloodborne, but only if you're really actively managing it and timing your Ki pulses very well.

Calidus posted:

But some of that was just the lovely framerate. Every game needs to copy movie mode and action mode from now on. 60fps is just wonderful.

Agreed. Bloodborne is a beautiful game, but I'd have willingly turned it down to 720p to get a mostly-stable 60fps. It kind of surprises me that Nioh's the first console game I've played that gave me the option. I hope other action games that aren't hitting 60fps by default follow suit.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So what happens if you collect all the teapot pieces in the Spider Castle?

Going to agree with everyone else that she was definitely the easiest boss in the game so far. A lot of normal enemies have given me more trouble.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Agreed. Bloodborne is a beautiful game, but I'd have willingly turned it down to 720p to get a mostly-stable 60fps. It kind of surprises me that Nioh's the first console game I've played that gave me the option. I hope other action games that aren't hitting 60fps by default follow suit.

Hell, I'd have turned it to 720p to get stable 30

(I'd also have liked good frame pacing)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
It's been a while since I've played Bloodborne, but I think the big change between Stamina and Ki is that running out of Stamina only punishes you until you get enough to roll out of danger. Running out of Ki stops you in place for a few seconds and invites an enemy to take away half your life bar. So while Nioh gives you better ways to keep your Ki up, running out is penalized much more harshly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In general, what's everyone's favorite armor set for set bonuses?

Mine are probably Saika's Yatagarasu, Righteous Strategist (Justice Ministry armor), and Yagyu. Yatagarasu gets you gets you a ton of Life recovery from headshotting enemies and auto-targets weak points when you pull out a ranged weapon. Righteous Strategist lets your Living Weapon charge up faster and last longer. Yagyu just flat-out boosts your attack and defense if you're using a katana and makes it easier to parry, which owns.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Calidus posted:

Ah that could be. Point still stands, though, that Nioh "feels" smoother and tighter to me. This means less deaths and a much more satisfying combat experience.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna be honest, I just discovered how to find these bonuses yesterday.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I'm completely stalled out at the first boss in the boat. I'm a Soulsborne veteran and I've steamrolled the game up to this point. Any suggestions beyond git gud? I've croaked to him easily 100 times at this point.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Any good videos of people pulling off really spectacular poo poo with their swords?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

Also he looked like something off an 80s metal album cover. That's not a bad thing but weirdly out of place.

Gashadokuro are a staple of Japenese folklore. :eng101: Traditional illustrations of them do look like 80s metal albums, though.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I'm starting to feel it now. With my last highest-quality materials I rolled a purple Furiwakegami-Hiromitsu with A+ scaling in Heart. It does fully 100 more damage than any other weapon I have.
I'll soul match it for as long as I can, but it's going to hurt to let this one go.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I'm completely stalled out at the first boss in the boat. I'm a Soulsborne veteran and I've steamrolled the game up to this point. Any suggestions beyond git gud? I've croaked to him easily 100 times at this point.

He's a really hard intro boss. The first two bosses (not counting Derrick the Pushover) are some of the nastiest in the game, in my opinion. Onryoki (the boat boss) isn't that hard on his own, but they make you fight him in a tiny room and that makes him a goddamn nightmare.

When he has his chains, stay really close to him and try to dodge around him. If you're close to him, you can block his chain swings decently enough if you can't get the dodge timing down. Nioh's dodge i-frames also come at a different time than Souls/Bloodborne's--you want to dodge at the very last instant because the i-frames are right at the start.

When the chains break, you have a couple of options. You can either stay close and try to dodge through his swipes, or keep some distance to bait out his ball-throwing, and charge in right as he throws to get some hits in on him.

Remember to Ki pulse while you're standing in the yokai pools that he spawns, because you don't have much room to move around and the Ki regen penalty those cause is really nasty. You want to clear them as soon as you can.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Going to agree with everyone else that she was definitely the easiest boss in the game so far. A lot of normal enemies have given me more trouble.

It opened up the Secret Tea Room (where you can join clans for bonuses and participate in some sort of battle group), but I don't know if that's because I got all 6 pieces or if it just happens after you beat the boss

Man I used every goddamn trick in the book to beat The Red Demon. Literally used all my Soulstones to charge Amrita gauge. But I got most of his stuff. So every Revenant I fight is still just using the Warrior of the West Armor. If I just keep fighting Revenants should I eventually be able to get the complete set in purple? I really, really don't want to try and farm that guy, but I dig this set. I'm doing everything but the stupid helmet, I just haven't found something good to replace it yet. I'm using the Bandit's Bandana which looks pretty sweet. I need to refashion the set helmet into the Bandit's Bandana though, because I want the full set, but all FashioNioh.

How does Elemental Talismans work with weapons that have built in Elemental damage? Does it overwrite it? I'm thinking about mixing fire (on the spear) and Water Talismans to go for Discord. But since the armor set bonus gives you 25% extra damage to scorched enemies it might just be better to go ham on that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Deified Data posted:

You get a rare epic PS4 trophy as far as I can tell. :v:

Also how in the gently caress are they going to give enemies dual pistols but then not let the player use them?? More weapon types in DLC please thanks.

Bugblatter posted:

Gashadokuro are a staple of Japenese folklore. :eng101: Traditional illustrations of them do look like 80s metal albums, though.

Now I feel dumb and bad for saying that without looking up their mythological context.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Any good videos of people pulling off really spectacular poo poo with their swords?

Here's someone owning the hell out of the Red Demon on NG+ with good katana technique and showing off how much damage Iai Quickdraw can do on a somewhat NG+ spoiler boss encounter. I'm not sure if those count as spectacular, because they're not, like, fancy combo videos, but the videos do show just how thoroughly you can own a boss with a katana.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

It opened up the Secret Tea Room (where you can join clans for bonuses and participate in some sort of battle group), but I don't know if that's because I got all 6 pieces or if it just happens after you beat the boss

Tea room is automatic.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

How does Elemental Talismans work with weapons that have built in Elemental damage? Does it overwrite it? I'm thinking about mixing fire (on the spear) and Water Talismans to go for Discord. But since the armor set bonus gives you 25% extra damage to scorched enemies it might just be better to go ham on that.

Elemental talismans overwrite a weapon's built-in elemental damage. That's probably a good thing or it'd be way too easy to stack Discord on an enemy with a single weapon.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Transistor Rhythm posted:

This is definitely the first real challenge of the game, before this you haven't really fought a boss. Everything else was tutorial (and even this is a pseudo tutorial boss).

He's got a few distinct phases, and they're pretty predictable. It's just a matter of timing, make sure you recognize his attacks and don't get greedy when you see an opening. Go in, attack, and get the gently caress out, that early AoE swipe he does is brutal. I was personally saving up to use my living weapon, but the round I beat him I didn't even have that. Lots of rolling (not just dodging) to avoid the cannonballs he throws. Don't try to block anything, just dodge. If you have Salt you can use that to drain his stamina and get some free shots. You can also use some of the higher powered bombs to toss at him across the room.

I failed a bunch here because I got greedy. I'd also recommend using a lower stance, the high stance does more damage but seems slower to me.

I used a sword, because that was my strongest weapon besides a slow as poo poo hammer, but I was tempted to use the Kusarigama. If I had died anymore that would have been it. I tried using arrows on him and they do very little, however some of the special rifle ammo you can get on the beach did a LOT more damage than I expected (I was bummed I only had one or two shots).

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
My advice for Onryoki as someone who had to scrape out a victory against him after half a dozen losses is this: don't get greedy.

He has a lot of health for this part of the game so you'll be tempted to wail on him when an opportunity presents itself, but he likes to swing wildly to punish you for hiding behind him. Your best bet is to dash in, take a couple hits, and put some distance between you because he's probably going to do his 360 swing. I actually think his second phase is a bit easier since he's a bit more predictable in his movements. Dodge his thrown balls late instead of early.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Think they're gonna patch out the slow abuse on bosses

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

Think they're gonna patch out the slow abuse on bosses

Really, the Sloth Talisman does cheese some bosses, but you really have to be dedicated to it to cheese later bosses with it. Many bosses shake off the debuff quickly enough that you can only really use it for short periods of time unless you've gone deep into onmyo magic and have enough capacity to hold 6 or 8 Sloth Talismans (and by that point, it's just easier to fight them normally, in my experience).

If they do patch it on bosses, they should just make every boss shake off the debuff as quickly as late-game bosses do, so the talisman is still useful to help you survive really hectic situations but doesn't ruin the whole fight. Either that or lessen the talisman's effect on bosses so that it's basically equivalent to the lightning elemental debuff, which is basically just a mini Sloth Talisman.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Gnumonic posted:

Has anyone here beaten "A Meeting on the Other Shore", and if so, how? It's the only thing I have left in NG and it just seems completely impossible. (Ugh, might resort to sloth talismans for the first time, I have a feeling this wouldn't even be super easy with them.)

Took me five attempts without going to ng+ and coming back. My strategy was to get the two apart, wait for the samurai man to stop using living weapon, parry his attack with spear which gives you a free final blow. Doing that 5 times took him out and let me focus on the yokai. It's a very stressful fight though.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
So do other weapons mystic art effect each type?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Oriental Hugs posted:

So do other weapons mystic art effect each type?

No.

The magic one that extends effects does though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm fighting some.kind of bird man now, and sloth is not helping very much.

I also think it would be okay if they made sloth only affect movespeed and not attack speed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If they were to add new weapon types, either in DLC or a sequel, I think I'd want nodachi and kanabo (big studded clubs). Or maybe war fans, that would be sweet. Oh, and let me get the dual pistols those ninja use in the Immortal Flame mission. Also, I wonder if they could implement bo staffs in a way that would be distinct enough from spears.

I really don't expect new weapons in DLC, to be clear, but it's fun to think of new weapon types that would add new ways to play. I wouldn't mind another ammo type or two per ranged weapon, too. Give me flaming arrows, for example. Or let me load my rifle with a bunch of powder and use it for a short-ranged, blinding blast.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Staves would be cool, lotta spin based moves and acrobatics to be had there. Maybe a twinblade of some kind.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is anyone not leveling Spirit? It seems like such a good stat I can't really imagine a build without it. Not leveling Spirit is like giving up the equivalent of a five-piece set bonus that doesn't cost you any equipment slots.

CJacobs posted:

Staves would be cool, lotta spin based moves and acrobatics to be had there. Maybe a twinblade of some kind.

Yeah, I'd do a staff build in a second, especially if they were distinct from spears. I'm a sucker for acrobatic staff fighting.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I hate two blades. Loath them. Such a bullshit concept for a weapon.

Staves would be cool.

I'm just having a hard time comjng uo with a weapon that would support a whole class of weapons.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Snak posted:

I hate two blades. Loath them. Such a bullshit concept for a weapon.

Staves would be cool.

I'm just having a hard time comjng uo with a weapon that would support a whole class of weapons.

I want 'chucks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think nodachi could work. We already have single katana and dual katana as separate weapons, so why not giant katana? I haven't tried to sit down and map out a move set or anything, but I could see it being different enough from both normal katanas and axes to be worth a separate weapon type.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I would kill for a fist weapon, let me roll out some mystic karate on demons and monsters.

Nodachi could be cool, but I feel like the problem there is that it's moveset would just be mostly the high stance katana expanded upon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I want to do flips with a zweihander in this game too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

I would kill for a fist weapon, let me roll out some mystic karate on demons and monsters.

Mystic karate fist weapons that scale with Magic or Spirit, that'd be pretty rad. After all, Dexterity gets to scale a whole weapon type and ninjutsu, so why not Magic?

Magic and Spirit are the only stats that aren't the primary scaling stat for any weapon, so I could see weapons that scale with those, maybe.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 13, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Flying guillotine, baby. :getin:

Seriously, though, naginatas could be interesting. Their moveset would be similar to spears, but not quite the same.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Mystic karate fist weapons that scale with Magic, that'd be pretty rad. After all, Dexterity gets to scale a whole weapon type and ninjutsu, so why not Magic?

This would be baller.

And Make magic even more broken.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

This would be baller.

And Make magic even more broken.

Speaking of Magic, since you're leveling it: have you noticed how much it increases the damage of your elemental weapon buff talismans? I'm at 15 Magic right now and I don't use the weapon buffs very much except to apply the Water debuff sometimes (since I use Raikiri so I already have lightning), but I could see leveling Magic more if they get really strong.

I'm going to take it to 20, at least, to unlock the mystic arts, but beyond that I don't know how much it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
At some point I'll respec and do some more testing. I have like 34 magic. My "test" was to go attack an enemy with a specific combo, go back, put a point in magic, and repeat. The first point had no effect, but the second point increased damage per hit by seven, from 50 to 57. That was awhile agi and I don't remember what my magic value was at the time. I was only interested in wethrr it scaled at all.