Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I think Gamelyn just thought minis were easier than they are, and also misjudged their audience. I suspect the relaunch will have standees as the default option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Jedit posted:

I think Gamelyn just thought minis were easier than they are, and also misjudged their audience. I suspect the relaunch will have standees as the default option.
Nope, the re-launch announcement FAQ said they're getting rid of the Standee version because it doesn't suit their vision for the game.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

JazzFlight posted:

Nope, the re-launch announcement FAQ said they're getting rid of the Standee version because it doesn't suit their vision for the game.

Wow, well go big or go home then. I wish them luck, but it really sounds like they should sit on this one for a while longer than May while they work out how to get the cost down or make the game more appealing at the current price point.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I have a hunch that a whole lot of their regular backers - like me - don't mind dropping $24 on a game they might conceivably never run. But who have a lot more hesitation about dropping $150 on a game they might conceivably never run.

I've literally never played any of the Gamelyn games I've received. Which is only, like, two, but...

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Sigma-X posted:

Anchor Baby is a card they're advertising.

Also the creators are unemployable trash bouncing around their family and friends.

This is not surprising at all.

It's almost as if poor white people who are used to privilege and getting everything on silver plate freak the gently caress out when they turn out to be welfare queens who can't accomplish anything with their lives and turn to racism and other delusions to justify their own incompetence.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Risks and Challenges posted:

We look forward to bringing this game to life, and we're working on it very hard while we speak! :) Having done similar projects before, with experience in design and illustration and an academic background in Fine Arts, and most important: tons of positive energy - we have no doubt we will be able to create a great game with your help! ^^

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

Jesus, that's dumb. Doubly so for a game which is basically Big Epic Kingdoms, produced by a company whose established fanbase wants cheap games that fit in a coat pocket.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

I do appreciate that the free market is working as intended.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

dwarf74 posted:

I have a hunch that a whole lot of their regular backers - like me - don't mind dropping $24 on a game they might conceivably never run. But who have a lot more hesitation about dropping $150 on a game they might conceivably never run.

I've literally never played any of the Gamelyn games I've received. Which is only, like, two, but...

I've played most of the ones I've gotten (which would be all the ones they've shipped out so far), but yeah, LSA was a bit out of my price range for "game I might never get to play."

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Peas and Rice posted:

I do appreciate that the free market is working as intended.

I'm hoping that this is all their own seed money and that it being tied up for a month unsuccessfully leaves them in even more financial duress than they are currently, obviously in with their "nomadic lifestyle"

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Probably a good time to bring this back up.

:nws: unless you work at the racism factory.
http://obozosamerica.com/

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
My copy of Mint Works arrived today. Can't wait to play it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
So apparently the next game from Monkeyfun studios (The creators of Spirit of '77 aka the source of my avatar pic) I honestly figured that Bucnasti would have come by to tell everyone about already! But look!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monkeyfunstudios/bedlam-hall-a-macabre-victorian-role-playing-game

The setting pitch is Addams Family meets Downton Abbey, which basically sounds perfect for Dark Shadows.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 14, 2017

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My Mint Works arrived too! Gonna take it to a party with boardgamer friends on the weekend.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Rad Valtar posted:

My copy of Mint Works arrived today. Can't wait to play it.

I'm going to need to watch a gameplay video before I try to play again. The rulebook is too tiny to see what the diagrams show sometimes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

unseenlibrarian posted:

So apparently the next game from Monkeyfun studios (The creators of Spirit of '77 aka the source of my avatar pic) I honestly figured that Bucnasti would have come by to tell everyone about already! But look!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monkeyfunstudios/bedlam-hall-a-macabre-victorian-role-playing-game

The setting pitch is Addams Family meets Downton Abbey, which basically sounds perfect for Dark Shadows.

Oh poo poo this sounds great! Thanks.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

dwarf74 posted:

I'm on the other side. I've played the hell out of both Tiny Epic games I own. They're quick to set up, easy to explain, and have a short play time; perfect to break the ice at any game night or break out at a coffee shop. I can stuff one in my bag without a second thought. It's a niche that's underserved by board games.

While I understand that they don't want to keep going down that rabbit hole until they hit Tiny Epic Cyperpunks or whatever, a $140 big-box game is probably not where they need to be focusing their efforts.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

I'm hoping that this is all their own seed money and that it being tied up for a month unsuccessfully leaves them in even more financial duress than they are currently, obviously in with their "nomadic lifestyle"

Kickstarter pledges aren't drawn until the project succeeds.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Nemo's War 2nd Edition is finally starting on printing. Hopefully all that work they put in to try and make sure the components turn out great pays off.

To put things in perspective, the campaign ended at the end of January 2016 with a delivery estimate of November that year.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Cat Face Joe posted:

Probably a good time to bring this back up.

:nws: unless you work at the racism factory.
http://obozosamerica.com/

Website seems to be down. I'm gonna assume that's a good thing.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

JackMann posted:

I found some text describing this board gaming tour de force on the wayback machine. All the image links are dead, but that's probably for the best:

quote:

OBOZO’S AMERICA: Why Bother Working for a Living? is a fun fantasy board game based on the preposterous notion that a Marxist clown, running on the vague and shaky platform of hope and change, could become President of The United States.

Get your initial $1,000 cash grant at the First of the Month, then maneuver along Obozo’s Welfare Promenade. Get cash for your out-of-wedlock children. Draw from a stack of Welfare Benefit Cards. Get extra cash from Saturday Night crimes: Gambling, Armed Robbery, Drugs, and Prostitution. Play the lottery and the horses. Get your live-in a job on the Government Cakewalk. Experience the Jail Jaunt. Avoid landing on one of those dreaded “Get a Job” blocks forcing you onto the Working Person’s Rut (Somebody has to pay for Obozo’s Welfare Promenade). 50 Welfare Benefit Cards. 50 Working Person’s Burden Cards. Lots of funny money.

Some real hot political takes, there.

Edit:

Found a pdf of the board. Confirming racist af: http://web.archive.org/web/20160509040504/http://www.obozosamerica.com/ObozoGameBoard.pdf

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 14, 2017

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Sold, also that art is on fuckin' point.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

grassy gnoll posted:

Sold, also that art is on fuckin' point.

Seconded, that's a cool-rear end concept.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Playable butler, that is my jam!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Oh great, after swearing off Kickstarter for several months, that's two projects backed in a day.

(This looks so loving good).

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

JackMann posted:

oh thank god

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

unseenlibrarian posted:

Looks like Unseenlibrarian beat me to it but yeah David has a new game. I wasn't involved in this one (other than as a source of encouragement) because it's just not my bag, but he's been working on it for awhile and has really done a great job. You can expect the same level of management of this KS as the So77 one, so it will ship on time etc.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm going to need to watch a gameplay video before I try to play again. The rulebook is too tiny to see what the diagrams show sometimes.

There's also a pdf of the rules if that helps

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

I got my copy the other day as well, and frankly the rules aren't greatly written. It is a pretty simple game all said, but there was a lot of flipping back and forth and looking for clarifications that were only inferred from context clues.

Have only played the solo mode so far, but seems to be a successful at accomplishing what it set out t do: easy, short, strategy game with worker placement as it's core mechanism. It's diminutive size means I'll never be sad to keep it around as a new portable/travel game.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Merauder posted:

I got my copy the other day as well, and frankly the rules aren't greatly written. It is a pretty simple game all said, but there was a lot of flipping back and forth and looking for clarifications that were only inferred from context clues.

Have only played the solo mode so far, but seems to be a successful at accomplishing what it set out t do: easy, short, strategy game with worker placement as it's core mechanism. It's diminutive size means I'll never be sad to keep it around as a new portable/travel game.
I even got to playtest the solo mode to give some early feedback, so it's pretty cool that I ended up in the credits. Really happy with how the KS campaign turned out.

Jamwillinob
Jun 26, 2009

Merauder posted:

I played a couple of solo mode games last night after getting my copy, and this was pretty much my experience too. My second game went a lot more smoothly than my first, and I'm pretty excited for trying it out with other people now, but it's definitely a little tough to understand initially.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Yeah, I ended up watching this video to figure things out. He got a few steps wrong in it, but now that I know how turns should flow I've been able to get my butt kicked by the Mort AI multiple times now.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SagaBorn Roleplaying Game

quote:

Seven playable races: elf, dwarf, half-dwarf, human, elfling, faun, and feral elfling.
Eight classes: fighter, barbarian, archeon, luminar, wylder, bard, ranger, and rogue.
Simplified skill system: only eight skills cover all the things an adventurer may need in order to overcome adventure obstacles. We replace Feats with a flexible point-based Talent system.
Heroic action: a simple mechanism to resolve most non-combat conflicts. Each party rolls a D20, adds the appropriate bonus, and the highest roller wins!
A simple mana-based magic system. Spells are organized by mana cost with no level or class restrictions.

quote:

Why another system?

When we first started publishing books, we used the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game system, and it was great. As time went on, we realized that we needed a smaller, more streamlined system to go with a low-magic world. We also did not want to keep chasing whichever system was winning the edition wars at the moment.

So SagaBorn was created.
Oy.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Truly there is an important distinction between elflings and feral elflings.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It still boggles my mind that we're here in TYOOL 2017 and there are still people who, when they realize that D&D/Pathfinder isn't working for them, will try to bend those games into new shapes they weren't meant to be in rather than just try one of the hundreds of other readily available games out there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

It still boggles my mind that we're here in TYOOL 2017 and there are still people who, when they realize that D&D/Pathfinder isn't working for them, will try to bend those games into new shapes they weren't meant to be in rather than just try one of the hundreds of other readily available games out there.

Not brain damage Ron Edwards. Really, really, really disordered thinking. We need like cognitive therapy. Teach people it's okay to try FATE or something.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Is this the first Pathfinder heartbreaker? The very idea is absurd.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

There's been a couple already. Pathfinder has been out for what, seven years at this point? Plenty of time for this kind of stuff to crop up.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Kwyndig posted:

You mean apart from all the official Pathfinder heartbreaking garbage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Well, since we're seeing a resurgence in the popularity of tabletop RPGs in general it was only inevitable that people who started with Pathfinder/D&D 5e started realizing that those games have their fair share of problems and instead of finding something else to play have decided to try to reinvent the wheel.

I for one welcome the second wave of fantasy heartbreakers. (Or are we maybe on the third already? Does the d20 glut of the 2000s count as the second wave?)