Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Command Ant posted:

Constanze was my favorite part of this episode, and I really hope we get to see more of her. I'd ask what she's even doing in a magic school to begin with, but then I realize that she's the embodiment of Clarke's third law.

Or, possibly the corollary: "Any sufficiently crude magic is indistinguishable from technology".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Roth posted:

I always figured that Amanda was made almost purely as a tribute to Ryuoko.

Same. Within the first minute of her character being introduced, I was already on MAL looking to see if they were the same VA. I just assumed everyone caught onto this and didn't mention it v0v

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

lewd

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thought today was a little dull, in all honesty. It was as well animated as anything else in this show and had lots of good gags, and I appreciate them trying to develop Akko a bit, but the basic story arc this episode set up felt really rote to me.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Akko is p. good at making an rear end of herself

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Seems very Ghibli to me in a good way for some reason.

I expect Andrew is meant to be a recurring character? I don't get the sense that his arc is complete; but I think he probably had fun adventuring with Akko though right?

I really like how Chariot really is the perfect role model to Akko and was just as much a mess at the start and getting into messes.

The way it showed how Chariot earned her powers through blood, tears, and folly was really nice and a good wake up call for Akko.

It's been annoying me how even though part of her motivations almost begs for her to have an almost Hermione like enthusiasm for magic, she doesn't really take it seriously at all and treats Luna Nova more like a fancy prep middle/high school.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Andrew's dad seems like the villainous sort (what was that talk about placing your enemies in your debt?), but Akko's overflowing optimism probably convinced Andrew himself not to be a total stick in the mud

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I mean, Andrew is in the OP so he's probably gonna show up again

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Let Ursula Teach Akko

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This episode was sweet and Ursula and Akko are good girls.

It's about time for a Sucy episode though...

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I like how the show isn't afraid of giving rote characters hidden depths. Andrew could have been written as a self-insert, could have been a villain, but he's written like Diana: a person in a prestigious position that nevertheless tries to be mindful of others. He does not instinctively abuse others, and is willing to contribute to the personal journeys of others.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well, I suppose he tagged along because he wasn't really satisfied with the life he had been leading up until that moment, and so wanted to see if it would alter how he finds meaning in his life.

And it did affect him slightly, if at first.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's been annoying me how even though part of her motivations almost begs for her to have an almost Hermione like enthusiasm for magic, she doesn't really take it seriously at all and treats Luna Nova more like a fancy prep middle/high school.

That's kind of her whole deal, isn't it? It's like she grew up with this idea that magic is effortless; you wave a stick and snap your fingers and the world bends to your will. And then she starts studying it and finds that there's a lot of hard work and study and focus, while she's still waiting for the clouds to part and her to be bestowed with godly powers.

It's kind of like a kid discovering that chemistry isn't all just mixing together brightly-coloured test tubes until suddenly you invent a new super-medicine or something. Still really invested in the idea of growing up to wear a lab coat but just doesn't get on with the effort required to actually do science.

I'm sure Akko will eventually understand the true value of study, but probably not until the end of the series because that would make boring television.

Meanwhile, giving herself a bunny face was adorable.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 13, 2017

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

That was an adorable episode and hopefully some sort of wake up call for Akko...

Next episode: watch Akko work her rear end off to end up slightly below average

I wanna binge-watch this to see her succeed :smith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Seems very Ghibli to me in a good way for some reason.

I expect Andrew is meant to be a recurring character? I don't get the sense that his arc is complete; but I think he probably had fun adventuring with Akko though right?

I really like how Chariot really is the perfect role model to Akko and was just as much a mess at the start and getting into messes.

The way it showed how Chariot earned her powers through blood, tears, and folly was really nice and a good wake up call for Akko.

The show is 25 episodes long. Give her time -- Akko's gonna pull a Noriko (Gunbuster) on us, just wait and see. Basically, this first arc was just Akko having to learn that you have to work hard to succeed at your goals, and that awesomeness doesn't just fall in your lap from the get-go. That's going to make it really worth while when she ends up saving the world or something by the end of the series.

That teary-eyed moment at the end of it plucked my heartstrings. Wonderfully animated!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I hope at some point someone in faculty other than Ursula will realize that they can't exactly expect Akko to keep up with those that have been doing this stuff since they were kids w/o extra help...

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

OddObserver posted:

I hope at some point someone in faculty other than Ursula will realize that they can't exactly expect Akko to keep up with those that have been doing this stuff since they were kids w/o extra help...

It was one of the other faculty that recommended Ursula teach her in the first place.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

OddObserver posted:

When you put it that way, Akko is basically a special ed student who doesn't have accommodations for her disability.

Poor girl :smith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

They did this gag in Kill la Kill!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

That was an adorable episode and hopefully some sort of wake up call for Akko...

Next episode: watch Akko work her rear end off to end up slightly below average

I wanna binge-watch this to see her succeed :smith:

Hey, she's gone from being totally unable to do magic to simply casting the wrong spells. Progress!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wait, something just clicked for me.

Akko mentioned when she was practicing that she has to clearly visualize what she wants something to transform into.

She gave the guy donkey ears and a tail, meaning she thought he was a jackass.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Wait, something just clicked for me.

Akko mentioned when she was practicing that she has to clearly visualize what she wants something to transform into.

She gave the guy donkey ears and a tail, meaning she thought he was a jackass.

....:aaa:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

She was lookin' kinda dumb with her finger and her thumb in the shape of an 'L' on her forehead...

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I hope we get more from mechawitch.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Constanze was easily my favorite part of the second OVA and think she should get way more screentime

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Yo I decided I'd wait until it got to Netflix to watch, but the show's still going alright I assume? Figured I ought to check in and see if Imaishi broke into the storyboarding room and added a subplot where they find a set of talking lingerie or something.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
It's good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Yo I decided I'd wait until it got to Netflix to watch, but the show's still going alright I assume? Figured I ought to check in and see if Imaishi broke into the storyboarding room and added a subplot where they find a set of talking lingerie or something.

he didn't

the show is alright so far

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DrSunshine posted:

The show is 25 episodes long. Give her time -- Akko's gonna pull a Noriko (Gunbuster) on us, just wait and see. Basically, this first arc was just Akko having to learn that you have to work hard to succeed at your goals, and that awesomeness doesn't just fall in your lap from the get-go. That's going to make it really worth while when she ends up saving the world or something by the end of the series.

That teary-eyed moment at the end of it plucked my heartstrings. Wonderfully animated!

Just to be clear, by "annoying" I don't mean the show annoyed me in this regard of her characterization; but rather that she annoyed me with her flippancy. I look forward to her growing more as a person. :)

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Amusing to note that despite all the loving research they clearly put into putting LWA in Somerset they still make an obvious cultural faux pas like having ostensibly British characters bow when apologising. (Assuming Chariot's supposed to be not-Japanese anyway.) Not that I'm particularly bothered by it at all, just find it funny what they get right and what they don't.

Good episode, and an interesting change of pace to a relatively gag-light character development episode (bugs bunny ears aside). I'm guessing couple of gag episodes followed by slightly more serious episode will be the pattern for most of the series. Either way I'm looking forward to it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I liked the idea that a government minister would still be an earl, but maybe that is where post brexit Britain is going.

Also they shouldn't pick on the poor Japanese kid.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joking about the revival of Thatcher isn't funny!!!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We don't need it with May in charge anyway.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

:negative:
Mrs Trump herself

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Fangz posted:

I liked the idea that a government minister would still be an earl, but maybe that is where post brexit Britain is going.

Also they shouldn't pick on the poor Japanese kid.

Little Witch Academia: An unflinching view at Post-Brexit Anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
also the annoying tory boy should bugger off

• Locked thread