Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I saw someone somewhere claim they loved it at first but hated it after the protagonist "pussied out" halfway through. It was the scariest review I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Continuing my sporadic effort to go through Hulu's anime offerings, after watching and enjoying a bit of Moributo and No. 6, I got wholly side-tracked by the show Overlord. Addictive, intelligent, and largely amoral, it's a straightforward attempt at portraying a Western type MMPORG that turns real cliche, from the point of view of a protagonist that is largely evil (or at least not concerned with typical human concerns).

Blazed through its 13 eps real quick and would recommend it to most people, especially if they're fantasy fans.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

more like overbored

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The Colonel posted:

strongly seconding recs for kurosawa and biscuit hammer, they're two of my favorite mangas ever

Oh ya I have heard of those. Biscuit hammer seems like a comedy from the summary though I am not really sure. I had it on my read list for a long time.

Kurosawa sounds like a fun read. I just read one of Fukamoto's other manga recently, Buraiden Gai which was pretty good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Biscuit Hammer certainly has some funny bits but the story is plenty serious/action-y, some heavy stuff happens fairly often.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Shageletic posted:

from the point of view of a protagonist that is largely evil

Maybe I'm just forgetting, but I can't recall him doing a single evil thing in that show. Like he was sorta gruff with people he rescued and killed a murderer in a gruesome way, but that's about the extent of it.

Cake Attack posted:

more like overbored

^

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Maybe I'm just forgetting, but I can't recall him doing a single evil thing in that show. Like he was sorta gruff with people he rescued and killed a murderer in a gruesome way, but that's about the extent of it.

^

Yeah, "supposedly" would be a better word, but he doesn't have the emotions that you would normally see in human protagonists, and every action he takes is to increase his own holdings/power.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Biscuit Hammer certainly has some funny bits but the story is plenty serious/action-y, some heavy stuff happens fairly often.

God, it's so good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
overlord has really ugly cg and the actual overlord himself is the least entertaining character in the show

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

overlords kewl until they kill the best char and have the 10 minute mmorpg buffing scene

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Cake Attack posted:

more like overbored

listening to a protagonist ramble about world items, cash shops, and buffs doesn't excite you?????

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The entire genre of "trapped in game world" just speaks to an incredible poverty of imagination. Like, really, your fantasy is to live out someone else's fantasy secondhand?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The Devil is a Part-Timer is the only fantasy/real world crossover I ever recommend.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like the "trapped in a game" trope but only as a short-lived comedy or parody. The aforementioned Overlord power up scene is perfect to me because it's like, drat, that's also exactly what I would do and it's funny to see it work (also the actual spell names/sound effects are funny). But more often than not it seems like a vehicle for action and in that case yes it seems pretty boring a lot of the time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I heard someone talking on a podcast about how they want a more realistic take on the trapped in a video game world.

None of this nonsensically perfect and not at all like a video game poo poo like sword art online, have your dudes have a dramatic scene and someone runs by in the background and suddenly starts running in place as they lag out, or the hair doesn't perfectly mesh to a character's head, or someone is trying to climb something but suddenly clips though the world, or they're running really fast through something and suddenly run out into the void because the world hasn't finished loading yet. Give me adventures in TRUE VIDEO GAMES.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My favorite take on "trapped in an MMO" genre will always been .hack//sign, as it used the conceit of "we're in a game" to have it be more of a character drama with bonus AI-hijinks. The game stuff was brilliantly woven in window dressing essentially, and it really, really worked.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Ulio posted:

Oh ya I have heard of those. Biscuit hammer seems like a comedy from the summary though I am not really sure. I had it on my read list for a long time.

Kurosawa sounds like a fun read. I just read one of Fukamoto's other manga recently, Buraiden Gai which was pretty good.

if you enjoyed buraiden gai, I can't imagine you not liking kurosawa. I liked gai but kurosawa really hits you harder.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Trapped in a game plots are definitely creatively bankrupt, but I'd force myself to watch one if they at least got the MMO player names right. Everyone always seems to have short proper sounding names in the shows. Realistically the protagonists should be a team of ~Nyan-Senpai~, DarkEdgeMaster, and xXWeedGokuXx, against the evil SANDERS2020.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The grand overly-handsome villain is revealed to be a fat basement-dwelling goonlord at his computer The final battle is interrupted by his mom needing to use the washing machine.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pavlov posted:

Trapped in a game plots are definitely creatively bankrupt, but I'd force myself to watch one if they at least got the MMO player names right. Everyone always seems to have short proper sounding names in the shows. Realistically the protagonists should be a team of ~Nyan-Senpai~, DarkEdgeMaster, and xXWeedGokuXx, against the evil SANDERS2020.

play the .hack games

the .hack animes are dreadfully boring unfortunately, but my favorite thing about .hack//gu is going to the in-game online message board and reading detailed, fictional flamewars, then going into the game and meeting those same flamewar-participants and trading with them for items

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

play the .hack games

the .hack animes are dreadfully boring unfortunately, but my favorite thing about .hack//gu is going to the in-game online message board and reading detailed, fictional flamewars, then going into the game and meeting those same flamewar-participants and trading with them for items

I'm going to disagree here: the games do have interesting plots, but they're trapped behind dreadfully tedious gameplay that really shows its age. And the pricetag too - those games were split into four and three pieces respectively when they should've been one game apiece.

.hack//sign is kind of a slow character drama but it really pays off, whereas .hack//roots is a mess, so... watch .hack//sign and stick with it if you're not bored to the tears, and find LPs of the games so you can enjoy them.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've been replaying g.u. recently and i like it quite a bit tbh, and i generally hate jrpgs

the original games had awful gameplay though and even with the assistance of 2 roommates and booze i could not get past halfway through game 2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't think anyone is going to play actual physical copies of the games anymore unless they a) already own them or b) are rich enough to not care, given what they go for on eBay.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

i've been replaying g.u. recently and i like it quite a bit tbh, and i generally hate jrpgs

the original games had awful gameplay though and even with the assistance of 2 roommates and booze i could not get past halfway through game 2

I played through all four discs. :negative:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm going to disagree here: the games do have interesting plots, but they're trapped behind dreadfully tedious gameplay that really shows its age. And the pricetag too - those games were split into four and three pieces respectively when they should've been one game apiece.

.hack//sign is kind of a slow character drama but it really pays off, whereas .hack//roots is a mess, so... watch .hack//sign and stick with it if you're not bored to the tears, and find LPs of the games so you can enjoy them.

.hack//sign has the best soundtrack

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

one thing i did like about the original games is that while going through //infection, my roommates paused and said "what's that up there in the sky?" and we spend a few minutes staring up at the skybox to be amazed by the giant, unexplained airship thing just floating around up there, dominating huge portions of the skybox at once. then, after we beat the game, an email said "come visit the giant floating skyship in a postgame dungeon" and we said "gently caress, we HAVE to go there" and actually did postgame content of a jrpg for once

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Matoi Ryuko posted:

.hack//sign has the best soundtrack

also this is very true and honestly the ED is the single best part of sign

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a kitten posted:

God, it's so good.
drat right it is. One of the few times I've felt compelled to buy a physical volume of a series in years.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ringo Roadagain posted:

if you enjoyed buraiden gai, I can't imagine you not liking kurosawa. I liked gai but kurosawa really hits you harder.

Do all of that mangaka's characters look the same?(really sharp angular faces) I mean I don't mind since he writes some wonderful emotional stores.

Also on the topic of MMORPGS, I was talking about it in the seasonal anime thread and it is really sad that the only way to get a good fantasy now days is to watch stuck in a MMORPG light novel adaptation. Another thing I don't understand how is there a market for this poo poo? Like Rezero/Swordartonline/dungeon girls they all have the same things. Empowered fantasy + harem and they try to make it dark with oh if you die in the game you die in real. I know dungeon girls isn't mmorpg but it has every other trope from that genre.

This stuff must be popular if they can keep churning out light novels and adaptions/sequels. They are all basically the same thing. I mean if you watched one of them you've watched all of them.

Log Horizon was one that was done really well. Because if you've ever played an MMO you know its more than just combat or meeting hot egirls. There is an in depth arc about trading in Log Horizon and guild wars. I mean I personally didn't like season 2 but loved season 1.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

chaika came out recently and is just straight forward fantasy

also technically re:zero is just pure transported to a fantasy world, it's not supposed to be a video game and there aren't even really gamey world building elements like you'll often see.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Ulio posted:

Do all of that mangaka's characters look the same?(really sharp angular faces) I mean I don't mind since he writes some wonderful emotional stores.

pretty much yeah

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

chaika came out recently and is just straight forward fantasy

also technically re:zero is just pure transported to a fantasy world, it's not supposed to be a video game and there aren't even really gamey world building elements like you'll often see.

Chaika was 3 years ago :cheeky:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Cake Attack posted:

Well, his superpower was autosave.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ulio posted:

Log Horizon was one that was done really well. Because if you've ever played an MMO you know its more than just combat or meeting hot egirls. There is an in depth arc about trading in Log Horizon and guild wars. I mean I personally didn't like season 2 but loved season 1.

I am surprised that Log Horizon isn't talked about more. This happened less in season 2 but one of my favorite parts of the show was that they would introduce and explain concepts as parts of what first appears to be a gag but actually comes to really matter later on. What also helped is that the cast for the most part felt like actual gamers.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Captain Invictus posted:

I heard someone talking on a podcast about how they want a more realistic take on the trapped in a video game world.

None of this nonsensically perfect and not at all like a video game poo poo like sword art online, have your dudes have a dramatic scene and someone runs by in the background and suddenly starts running in place as they lag out, or the hair doesn't perfectly mesh to a character's head, or someone is trying to climb something but suddenly clips though the world, or they're running really fast through something and suddenly run out into the void because the world hasn't finished loading yet. Give me adventures in TRUE VIDEO GAMES.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

I am surprised that Log Horizon isn't talked about more. This happened less in season 2 but one of my favorite parts of the show was that they would introduce and explain concepts as parts of what first appears to be a gag but actually comes to really matter later on. What also helped is that the cast for the most part felt like actual gamers.

I feel like maybe the pace had something to do with it and also the plot is really not evident from the start. It takes a bit of time for it show itself and what its about. Meanwhile SAO is basically we gotta get out of here and finish this game. Log Horizon is more like oh maybe we should just learn to live in this society and its not like we had lives in the real world anyway.

Maybe there wasn't enough action or waifus.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's cause the second season of log horizon was abysmal

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Yeah, LH got plenty of love, and then it trickled off over the first half of s2. My MAL says I got a half dozen eps in.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Log Horizon season 2 felt like a series that forgot what made it so compelling in the first place. I dug the non-action parts of the first season but I was never able to finish season 2 because it felt like all of the major story beats were about fighting, and that's by far the weakest element of the show.

The lackluster animation quality didn't help either. Not that season 1 had impeccable animation by any means, but it was less of an issue because it wasn't nearly as action-oriented as season 2 was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I didn't finish the second season either but the first season was very well done but it got nowhere SAO or other LN adaptation levels of popularity.