Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I beat Nue my first try but I have no doubt it was down to sheer dumb luck. That Darkbeast-looking motherfucker had my number but I managed to squeak past somehow and I have no idea what sort of strategy to go into him with on my second playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snak posted:

Yeah. I am confused about getting "good" armor. I can craft asstons of armor, but like, it's all functionally the same. There are like 10 sets of armor that are lile, 4 points of resistance different. Which seems redundant when there's a refashioning system. I have access to about 5 different sets with unique set bonus, but only one of which is tangentially useful to my build. The only guaranteed attributes that any of the armor I can make have are +ninjutsu, +matchlock damage, and +bow damage. That's pretty sparse...

So far, I just craft and reforce until I have things that kind of benefit me, but it's a long way from some kind of cohesive build. I feel like I've had access to maybe 2 honor duels? Which I guess are farmable for their sets? Warrior of the West doesn't interest me because it's heavy... I don't remember the second honor duel, I think I did it in like 2 tries.

Don't obsess about sets too much. You're mostly meant to craft and reinforce until you get cool bonuses. That's as far as you need to go. Getting set bonuses is cool but if anything often requires you to give up lots of cool attributes in order to get the set bonus. Random armor crafting and reinforcement is just fine and dandy.

Just be smart about which stats you go for in reinforcement. Stacking things like spirit scaling to defense or attack if you have high spirit can be pretty huge, obviously, but does little if you aren't investing in that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

limited posted:

Apart from the bat, this is my stumbling point right now. I can sleepwalk through his first phase, but the second one William just seems to want to dive in the water as soon as I so much as put a toe near the edges of the arena. I know you're a sailor William, but for gently caress's sake. :argh:

Phase two should be the easy part. Just lock on to him and run in circles around him. Then the only move you have to watch out for is when he bounces, just step back slightly when he does that. Otherwise stay close to him and just run in circles, and keep him in the middle of the platform. The holes are at the corners.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm not sure the attack scaled with magic or spirit affixes are in the game. I mean raikiri obvious has it, but I've yet to see it show up randomly.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Sets are a massive noob trap. Stop worrying about your sets.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Fashion is the only thing that matters.

Being able to give strong armor the appearance of weaker sets that you like better is a revelation. Keeps my ronin mengu competitive.

e. Anyone know if there's a basket hat like this?

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 13, 2017

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Belzac posted:

Sets are a massive noob trap. Stop worrying about your sets.

I wouldn't say they are a trap. Using vastly under leveled sets are a trap.

Edit: in fact, your chance of not using a divine gear set in your ng build will probably be zero.

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 13, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

I'm not sure the attack scaled with magic or spirit affixes are in the game. I mean raikiri obvious has it, but I've yet to see it show up randomly.

Yeah that might be unique to Raikiri. But there's definitely less armor attack scaling and agility attack scaling.

And there's definitely spirit defense scaling. (or magic or whatever)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not overly concerned about sets, I just want armor that has magic related buffs guaranteed on it. It must exist.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

I'm not overly concerned about sets, I just want armor that has magic related buffs guaranteed on it. It must exist.

Almost nothing has guaranteed good stats on it for obvious reasons. Craft and reforge!

I'm sad because there's a couple other swords almost as good as Raikiri, but they require rare boss drops to craft. Raikiri only requires demon horn so I can craft 50 of those things every couple missions and see which rolled the best stats. Team Ninja screwed up and made that sword too good and too easy to make.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

We were talking about farming the Iga Jonin 7 item set. It drops from Hanzo in the adept and veteran ninja dojo fight(different level gear). Apparently it drops the crafting recipe too much more rarely. I was just farming for a good level/skill purple and then reforging to my pleasure.

If you are going ninja its and easier set to farm, you don't have to play a whole level to do the fight. Hanzo drops the weapons and the armor.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The crafted ninja gear has ninjutsu power guaranteed, I'm sure the onmyo gear would have the equivalent of I could actually craft it myself

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

tap my mountain posted:

The crafted ninja gear has ninjutsu power guaranteed, I'm sure the onmyo gear would have the equivalent of I could actually craft it myself

Do you get a set drop of that in those dojo fights? Im too ninja to access them.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Aghhhhhh I had that bastard down to one chest strike

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

We were talking about farming the Iga Jonin 7 item set. It drops from Hanzo in the adept and veteran ninja dojo fight(different level gear). Apparently it drops the crafting recipe too much more rarely. I was just farming for a good level/skill purple and then reforging to my pleasure.

If you are going ninja its and easier set to farm, you don't have to play a whole level to do the fight. Hanzo drops the weapons and the armor.

If you have the smithing text for a set that's an exception, as you can then craft new versions at levels to keep up with you as you go, and craft many and take the best stats.

But even then... the Iga Ninja set requires you to have spider's leg husk for each one. That means 5 spider's leg husk for just crafting one of each. Five boss kills. Even if you speedrun the level, that's gonna take a long time. (And that's assuming 1 drop per kill)
So you can't just craft those things over and over looking for good attributes. You can't. Hope you roll purple! Then reforge forever and ever and spend all your money, only to out-level that gear a little bit later.
As cool as the set bonuses are, even the ninja set is fleeting. Gear that you can easily craft 50 of just wins because you can roll better stats.

There's exceptions though of course, the red demon set bonuses seem outrageous enough to warrant it. Can you get smithing text for that one? I'm not using spear so I haven't bothered trying.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

If you have the smithing text for a set that's an exception, as you can then craft new versions at levels to keep up with you as you go, and craft many and take the best stats.

But even then... the Iga Ninja set requires you to have spider's leg husk for each one. That means 5 spider's leg husk for just crafting one of each. Five boss kills. Even if you speedrun the level, that's gonna take a long time. (And that's assuming 1 drop per kill)
So you can't just craft those things over and over looking for good attributes. You can't. Hope you roll purple! Then reforge forever and ever and spend all your money, only to out-level that gear a little bit later.
As cool as the set bonuses are, even the ninja set is fleeting. Gear that you can easily craft 50 of just wins because you can roll better stats.

There's exceptions though of course, the red demon set bonuses seem outrageous enough to warrant it. Can you get smithing text for that one? I'm not using spear so I haven't bothered trying.

Also even getting the illusive purple, might be a poo poo purple. lots of luck involved here.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that might be unique to Raikiri. But there's definitely less armor attack scaling and agility attack scaling.

And there's definitely spirit defense scaling. (or magic or whatever)

There's dual swords with spirit scaling on like the first body in the sekigahara stage

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Just an FYI, but the third Onmyo dojo mission rewards you a book of reincarnation so even if you don't plan on using magic as part of your build you lose nothing by raising Magic to 15 to unlock it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

lets hang out posted:

There's dual swords with spirit scaling on like the first body in the sekigahara stage

The real question is if you can roll spirit scaling with reforging. Is it another fixed attribute on the dual swords?

Like I didn't mean unique period for the whole game, but unique like a fixed attribute given to the weapon's template.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Mr.Citrus posted:

I wouldn't say they are a trap. Using vastly under leveled sets are a trap.

Edit: in fact, your chance of not using a divine gear set in your ng build will probably be zero.

My friend has beaten almost all of NG+ with no set.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The ninja castle and its boss are the dopest poo poo I've seen so far in this game.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is all that knight armour I get in the tuturial level, a trap? Should I be wearing the knight stuff or the tower of london guard stuff for now? Or mix + match?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Crowetron posted:

The ninja castle and its boss are the dopest poo poo I've seen so far in this game.

I want that boss as my spirit guardian

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

redreader posted:

Is all that knight armour I get in the tuturial level, a trap? Should I be wearing the knight stuff or the tower of london guard stuff for now? Or mix + match?

Your call man. Heavy armor gives you more defense and more toughness (use less ki to block) but makes you use more ki to run, dodge and attack.

Light armor lets you dodge all day without using much stamina, but you can't block for long and if you take hits, it hurts.

You like blocking or dodging more? (You're gonna do both either way)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. It feels really strange that I can forge archer, rifleman, and ninja gear, but nothing else that gives bonuses like that. Like, great! When I make a ninja character, I'll craft that gear...

Crowetron posted:

I got so lost for so long.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I probably won't actually mess with armor stuff until I get to NG+, my skill is my armor

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

There are no wrong answers - just update your gear once or twice a region and you'll be fine. Know that heavy armor makes you slower and drains more of your Ki in exchange for being tankier, which is perfectly fine if that's what you're going for. Personally I think the game plays best when you're light on your feet.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The part of that level where they just dump you in a tiny room full of 10 spiders out of nowhere and for no reason other than gently caress you was mean, but I liked it otherwise.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

redreader posted:

Its not a big deal at all, you will find better very soon, just keep playing.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hell yeah Nue down

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
People on reddit are saying that one of the reasons soul matching cost seems so prohibitive is that it costs more to soul match with low familiarity. So when you have a high level item you haven't used and you're trying to use it to soul match, it's going to cost way more than if you had 100% familiarity with it. I can't check right now, but I can test it later tonight.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
William makes shoddy bandit armor made of hardened leather superior to actual European platemail through sheer belief.

He's like a Warhammer 40K Ork but instead of red stuff being faster, stuff is just better the more Japanese it gets.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Snak posted:

People on reddit are saying that one of the reasons soul matching cost seems so prohibitive is that it costs more to soul match with low familiarity. So when you have a high level item you haven't used and you're trying to use it to soul match, it's going to cost way more than if you had 100% familiarity with it. I can't check right now, but I can test it later tonight.

Do I need to familiarity both? or just the base?

Hmmm a use for whetstones I guess.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Wait ... So I could take my light armor and make it look heavy..Or vice versa and fashion....

My god

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Glenn Quebec posted:

Wait ... So I could take my light armor and make it look heavy..Or vice versa and fashion....

My god

The mad men finally went and did it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I really liked the level with the underground tunnels and the holes that drop you into them. Dropping you into a room with three onmyojis spamming magic is great

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. It feels really strange that I can forge archer, rifleman, and ninja gear, but nothing else that gives bonuses like that. Like, great! When I make a ninja character, I'll craft that gear...

The other ones give tons of bonuses! They just don't have guaranteed bonuses because they don't have a dedicated role like magic or ninjitsu. Don't worry so much about fixed attributes.

Like, getting a little bonus magic or ninjitsu power isn't really that much. And then even if you had one of those sets, you'd still be trying to get the right random attributes.

If you're not doing a ninja or magic character: all the other gear is for you. Like seriously there's like 18 generic sets and then 1 ninja set and 1 magic set and you're complaining there's no swordsman set? What?

Would you really prefer if the game pidgeonholed you into the "swordsman set" where each piece gives +1 ki? Even if you had that, you'd probably ignore it. You're assuming that wearing the ninja set makes your ninjitsu 3x as good or something, but its not that big.

Glenn Quebec posted:

My god

Yeah unlimited fashion souls is fantastic

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 13, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

havenwaters posted:

The mad men finally went and did it.

Nothing has meaning anymore and it's beautiful.

Excuse me while I slip into my steel-lined Onmyo mage robes.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Snak posted:

I've also noticed a few times that the cost is lower when burning a higher quality item - so a level 40 white item would result in a higher cost than a 40 purple. Haven't tested it enough to fully verify but possibly worth exploring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

The other ones give tons of bonuses! They just don't have guaranteed bonuses because they don't have a dedicated role like magic or ninjitsu. Don't worry so much about fixed attributes.

Like, getting a little bonus magic or ninjitsu power isn't really that much. And then even if you had one of those sets, you'd still be trying to get the right random attributes.

If you're not doing a ninja or magic character: all the other gear is for you. Like seriously there's like 18 generic sets and then 1 ninja set and 1 magic set and you're complaining there's no swordsman set? What?

I'm doing a magic character. I can't craft magic gear. What part of that don't you understand?

I want to craft magic set. I can't.

How can I get it?