Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Rhyno posted:

Except for the fact that the size of the holosuite doesn't work for baseball.

The size of the holosuite doesn't work for the Alamo either, but somehow they make it work. Nothing about the holodeck/holosuite makes any sense if you put more than 30 seconds of thought into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

no the baseball card episode is awful, I just watched it this afternoon. it features The Jake Sisko

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like the baseball card one, has some great Weyoun.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Except for the fact that the size of the holosuite doesn't work for baseball.

It doesn't really work for much of anything in either show due to its indicated physical size, so you have to imagine that the holodeck can actually deceive you into believing you're moving long distances in physical directions other than where you are actually moving, as well as making you perceive objects at illusory distances and trajectories as they move. This means that you lose all sense of time and space, and without those, sanity is the next to go. This is before things on the holodeck achieve lethality, sentience, and/or break permanently into physical reality.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Watching DS9, I now can't unsee the back of Worf's neck where the makeup doesn't get applied, and you can see Michael Dorn's lighter skin tone.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The bare holodeck itself is an illusion. You step through the arch and each person actually enters a small enclosed space in which the floor moves independently and the holodeck projects fake images directly into your retinas.

OR

just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Do the books and comics ever go into what society is like outside of Starfleet? I feel like there's some merit to the old argument that progress would slow a lot once nobody has to work and everyone has access to holodecks.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Big Mean Jerk posted:

just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax"

New thread title and lock it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Holodeck baseball would work with one or two real people in there, but no more than that.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I've been going through The 50-Year Mission, and it's loving hilarious that Braga used to throw such huge fits about people eating crunchy food in the writer's room, that there's like five separate people with stories about it.

I feel like this explains so much about "Enterprise," somehow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

WampaLord posted:

Holodeck baseball would work with one or two real people in there, but no more than that.

Why do you say that? Holodecks can use warped perspective and treadmill tricks to space people much closer together.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I thought the holodeck and transporter technologies are the same thing and that you don't actually occupy physical space in the same way you normally do. Otherwise people would start running into the walls.

I would have just had the game on Bajor.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The holodeck doesn't make sense no matter what. Why is it multiple stories tall if it's just using treadmills and trick perspectives? How big should they be so you can have the desired amount of people with an arm's distance between them? How much does it shuffle people around so they can properly interact with each other? How does all of this work with sound and smell being distant or not? Does every holoprogram smell like an empty featureless room?

The holodeck was portrayed the way it does so the average viewer wouldn't notice those things.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Do the books and comics ever go into what society is like outside of Starfleet? I feel like there's some merit to the old argument that progress would slow a lot once nobody has to work and everyone has access to holodecks.

If you can chose to do whatever without having to worry about starving to death in a ditch in old age I think we would see more people pursue scientific pursuits. To a lot of people it's just plain interesting. I also doubt funding for the sciences will ever dry up - nations can't afford to be left behind just because a portion of their population is happy to sit around and play Second Life or whatever.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

no the baseball card episode is awful, I just watched it this afternoon. it features The Jake Sisko

Sounds like SOMEONE here is a soulless minion of orthodoxy

e: vvv :hfive:

gardenald fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 13, 2017

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Soulless Minions of Orthodoxy account spotted.

e: goddamn, nice ninja.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Why do you say that? Holodecks can use warped perspective and treadmill tricks to space people much closer together.

There's only so much you can do to hide the fact that you've got 18 (plus fans) people all in like a 20 foot square room.

It could work if everyone was in their own mini holodeck and they networked together, kinda like VR.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

WampaLord posted:

It could work if everyone was in their own mini holodeck and they networked together, kinda like VR.

This is how I always rationalized the holosuite baseball episode. They networked all of Quark's holosuites together and had 4 or so people in each.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well for all we know they could all be packed in there with like 1 foot of space between them and the computer is just creating holograms in their face and creating force fields all around them in such a way that the feedback matches the simulation perfectly at all times so that it feels like they're moving around even though it's all just haptic feedback. With a high enough roof they can be standing on force field platforms too.

It's not that much more impossible than the idea of a holodeck in the first place, is it?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I always liked the way that the holodeck apparently projected an ever-so-slightly-larger monochrome version of everybody around themselves in Captain Proton.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ChairMaster posted:

Well for all we know they could all be packed in there with like 1 foot of space between them and the computer is just creating holograms in their face and creating force fields all around them in such a way that the feedback matches the simulation perfectly at all times so that it feels like they're moving around even though it's all just haptic feedback. With a high enough roof they can be standing on force field platforms too.

Not bad, but you need to find a way to tie this all into the main computer so that if anything goes wrong, it takes over the ship.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Payndz posted:

I always liked the way that the holodeck apparently projected an ever-so-slightly-larger monochrome version of everybody around themselves in Captain Proton.

Why would you think this is what happens? Easier, I think, to just slap a filter over people's eyes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/831270003550912513

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Sounds like the show will be spending a lot of time with the Shenzhou since they're casting a full bridge crew.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God, I hope all the credits are in that horrible font.

CNMWN MCWMWNNMNWFM *cuts away instantly*

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

quote:

Sam Vartholomeos has landed the role of Ensign Connor, a Junior Officer in Starfleet Academy assigned to the starship Shenzhou. His credits include The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and The Following.

Maulik Pancholy is on board as Dr. Nambue, the Chief Medical Officer of the starship Shenzhou. Pancholy’s credits include Weeds, Hitch, 30 Rock, Phineas & Ferb, The Good Wife and Sanjay and Craig.

Terry Serpico will play Admiral Anderson, a high-ranking Starfleet official. Serpico’s films and television credits include 100 Centre Street, The Departed, Army Wives, Rescue Me, Sneaky Pete, Elementary and The Purge: Election Year.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Data Graham posted:

My thoughts exactly.

Although the font itself isn't really to blame, it's the shading that makes all the letters look alike.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh hey it's Alec Baldwin's assistant from 30 Rock.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Is it just me or is CBS doing an amazingly bad job at promoting this series? They pretty much punted on the 50th Anniversary but I figured they would be more on the ball the new series.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

WampaLord posted:

Oh hey it's Alec Baldwin's assistant from 30 Rock.

Ahhh! That's who he is! Prediction: he's the husband/paramour of the xenofungi dude.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Data Graham posted:

I'll have you know that CNMWN MCWMWNNMNWFM is an incredibly accomplished actor.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Evek posted:

Is it just me or is CBS doing an amazingly bad job at promoting this series? They pretty much punted on the 50th Anniversary but I figured they would be more on the ball the new series.

I've seen people promote their podcasts better than CBS has been promoting their new Star Trek show.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gonz posted:

I've seen people promote their podcasts better than CBS has been promoting their new Star Trek show.

It's hard for you to beat John Hodgeman at the end of each episode plugging Maximum Fun.

That reminds me i need to get back to listening to the Greatest Generation.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

God, The Ascent is so good. I'm enjoying the Quark/Odo bickering immensely. :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I dub Sam Vartholomeos Greek Chekhov.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

dangerdoom volvo posted:

the baseball episode of ds9 rules

It would've been awesome if it turned out that one or more of Our Heroes had some actual talent for the sport that nobody knew about. poo poo, Nog's actor was actually a good baseball player, so he had to throw with his non-dominant hand so he could play badly. That way, you could have the Niners be a talented team that barely lost, rather than the lovely "lol we lost but had heart" nonsense.

It's clear that in the Trek universe, one of the casualties of the third world war was baseball sabermetrics. this guy is not a baseball player, no wonder people stopped paying attention.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

It's hard for you to beat John Hodgeman at the end of each episode plugging Maximum Fun.

That reminds me i need to get back to listening to the Greatest Generation.

Just finished the Slickback Trilogy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MisterBibs posted:

It would've been awesome if it turned out that one or more of Our Heroes had some actual talent for the sport that nobody knew about. poo poo, Nog's actor was actually a good baseball player, so he had to throw with his non-dominant hand so he could play badly. That way, you could have the Niners be a talented team that barely lost, rather than the lovely "lol we lost but had heart" nonsense.

It's clear that in the Trek universe, one of the casualties of the third world war was baseball sabermetrics. this guy is not a baseball player, no wonder people stopped paying attention.

"This team of fictional characters didn't play baseball in a convincingly competitive manner, therefore the episode is poo poo even though its central theme concerns the relationship between the players and not the baseball game itself."

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Captain Kirk is not an astronaut, no wonder Star Trek was cancelled!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Like the whole point of the baseball episode is that they got destroyed but they troll the Vulcans hard by laughing and celebrating anyway.