Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

life is killing me posted:

Well yeah, in the strictest terms, though I'm not sure a lumbar puncture is a spinal tap.

Spinal tap is the colloquial for lumbar puncture.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/lumbar-puncture/basics/definition/prc-20012679

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

Spinal Tap may refer to:

Lumbar puncture, a medical procedure colloquially referred to as a "spinal tap"

:shrug: Welp, maybe they are for different purposes? I just remember the doctor telling me that this wasn't a spinal tap. Perhaps he was wrong.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:shrug: Welp, maybe they are for different purposes? I just remember the doctor telling me that this wasn't a spinal tap. Perhaps he was wrong.

Or maybe he was differentiating between one used to draw fluid and one to deliver anesthesia or chemo?

Mayo Clinic makes no differentiation.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
When I had hip surgery they gave me something called a spinal block. There was another option that the anesthesiologist offered, but they both sounded like horror movie plots anyway and she said the spinal block was the best choice for that surgery. It was probably a pretty lousy experience, but all I remember is being told to lean forward and hold the nurse's shoulders because hooray for anesthetic retrograde amnesia.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

Or maybe he was differentiating between one used to draw fluid and one to deliver anesthesia or chemo?

Mayo Clinic makes no differentiation.

It's possible that was it.

hogmartin posted:

When I had hip surgery they gave me something called a spinal block. There was another option that the anesthesiologist offered, but they both sounded like horror movie plots anyway and she said the spinal block was the best choice for that surgery. It was probably a pretty lousy experience, but all I remember is being told to lean forward and hold the nurse's shoulders because hooray for anesthetic retrograde amnesia.

Now that I'm reading this I'm willing to bet that the troper in question was confusing a spinal block and a spinal tap, because that makes way more sense given tropers' penchant for exaggerating, over-elaborating, self-aggrandizing and trying to sound smarter than they really are.

I also was given the option of a spinal block, but I chose regular anesthesia. I'm not sure if a spinal block would have helped this, but we will just say that I was a few urination attempts away from them forcing a foley on me--the full anesthesia made it super-difficult to piss for a while until it wore off. I guess a spinal block would have had the same effect.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

I also was given the option of a spinal block, but I chose regular anesthesia. I'm not sure if a spinal block would have helped this, but we will just say that I was a few urination attempts away from them forcing a foley on me--the full anesthesia made it super-difficult to piss for a while until it wore off. I guess a spinal block would have had the same effect.

Not a doctor, so I have no idea how it would have worked out for you. It took a few hours in recovery before I felt like pissing, probably because you can't eat or drink for 12 hours before the surgery, but once I swam back into reality I was slugging down apple juice as fast as they'd allow it and when I got to the room, I was pissing like a champ. I kind of felt like a jerk because I had to ring the nurse every time I had to go; I wasn't allowed to walk without supervision.

making GBS threads, though, that took about three days of ripping pure swamp rear end before my guts started working again.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

hogmartin posted:

Not a doctor, so I have no idea how it would have worked out for you. It took a few hours in recovery before I felt like pissing, probably because you can't eat or drink for 12 hours before the surgery, but once I swam back into reality I was slugging down apple juice as fast as they'd allow it and when I got to the room, I was pissing like a champ. I kind of felt like a jerk because I had to ring the nurse every time I had to go; I wasn't allowed to walk without supervision.

making GBS threads, though, that took about three days of ripping pure swamp rear end before my guts started working again.

Well the difficulty pissing has to do with the anesthesia numbing or messing up your plumbing for a while, so I have little doubt a spinal block would be much different in that respect.

I also wasn't allowed to get up without supervision for a little while, I was so high on the narcoctail they had me on and was pretty weak for a bit. I had tried to get up once, passed out, and got yelled at by my nurse for trying. I also had to have a nurse, uh, wipe for me once, which was one of the more humiliating experiences I've had in my life. Probably the worst part about my long stay was having acute acid reflux and the doctor being unwilling to give me anything for it for about a week, but I forget why that was.

Nurses are used to it, they know the drill. They'd probably rather you be able to piss (since it's kind of their job to make sure you produce enough urine after surgery, at least that's what they told me since something was wrong if I couldn't) than have to give you a foley. I'm sure we would all rather avoid foley catheters, really.

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger

I'm not sure if a spinal block would have helped this, but we will just say that I was a few urination attempts away from them forcing a foley on me--the full anesthesia made it super-difficult to piss for a while until it wore off. I guess a spinal block would have had the same effect.

When I first read this, I thought Foley was referring to Mick Foley, and that the nurses were going to put you through a steel cage or suplex you on to some thumbtacks or something.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Robotic Folksinger posted:

When I first read this, I thought Foley was referring to Mick Foley, and that the nurses were going to put you through a steel cage or suplex you on to some thumbtacks or something.

Well I did meet Mick Foley once

(this didn't happen)

I read his book Tietam Brown though.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

I'm sure we would all rather avoid foley catheters, really.

Agreed. A friend had to have an appendectomy while teaching in Japan, and her story about waking up and feeling... hey, what's that... GET THIS loving THING OUT OF ME, and then what it's like to have it removed while you're conscious is not pleasant. On the other hand, they wouldn't discharge her until she'd pooped, so every day at noon her attending physician would come in smiling with his hands clasped and ask in English "did you defecate today?" like a proud supportive toddler's parent. It probably wasn't tons of fun at the time, but it's funny to hear her tell it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Well yeah, in the strictest terms, though I'm not sure a lumbar puncture is a spinal tap.

No this is Spinal Tap.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Never, because none of this ever happened.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GreenMetalSun posted:

Imagine fixing someone's antique instrument (which probably costs hundreds of dollars) and being paid with a necklace made from the bones of his neighbor's dead bird.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
A playable antique cello is more likely to cost thousands if not tens of thousands, bowed wood instruments are insanely expensive

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

GreenMetalSun posted:

I would've figured the going rate for a dead parakeet is nothing, on account of it being a dead dirty trash bird

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

A playable antique cello is more likely to cost thousands if not tens of thousands, bowed wood instruments are insanely expensive

I can see those things being slightly plausible if by "fixed" the antique cello they meant that they painted it paisley or some other bullshit so it could be hung up as a decoration. Like, I can see some of the starving artist burner type folks I have hung with in the past doing poo poo like this.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
shit_that_didnt_happen.txt: His IQ actually went UP

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I figured his definition of "antique" was post-1900, so probably something from the 1930s or whatever.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Even so. A brand new even decent cello is often a 5 figure investment. Anyone painting one neon blue or paisley or poo poo like that needs some :murder:

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
What happens when you can't get intravenous access is actually way more hardcore than that troper knows, they literally drill into your leg bone and pump the fluids in through there, it's called intraosseus.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Premature ejacula- posted:

What happens when you can't get intravenous access is actually way more hardcore than that troper knows, they literally drill into your leg bone and pump the fluids in through there, it's called intraosseus.

More like intra-awesome

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Or just use a FAST1 and go straight into the sternum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nvD8iRv3t8

Last thread this got posted in, someone suggested he'd rather die of whatever wound he has than go through this.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

snergle posted:

why did he move to austrailia if he hated facism?

We still pretended we had a functioning democracy then.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Last thread this got posted in, someone suggested he'd rather die of whatever wound he has than go through this.

:stare:

I know the military will CS gas you in boot camp and some people do OC training too, plus SERE school and a bunch of other unpleasant things, and that nursing students will practice IV sticks on each other, but the thought of lying down, perfectly healthy, so someone can punch a needle into your sternum because training dummies are too expensive is, on a scale from 1 to 10, horrifying.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hogmartin posted:

:stare:

I know the military will CS gas you in boot camp and some people do OC training too, plus SERE school and a bunch of other unpleasant things, and that nursing students will practice IV sticks on each other, but the thought of lying down, perfectly healthy, so someone can punch a needle into your sternum because training dummies are too expensive is, on a scale from 1 to 10, horrifying.

Real people are superior to dummies because if you do something wrong, they start screaming.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Rereading the story, he does say that they dug around in his leg for iv access, AND he got the spinal tap. I'm thinking it might be two things in need of better grammatical separation.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well I guess watching that video was a pretty dumb idea for someone who has a needle phobia :gonk:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah; I used to play cello fairly seriously in high school, and my mid-tier, non-antique cello cost about $8,000. A couple other cellists in my symphony had instruments worth well over $10k. Even a "not completely poo poo tier" cello is going to run well over $1000.

I guess it's possible that the cello in question was some really lovely cello that just happened to be 50 years old or something.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Maybe you're just really undervaluing her juggling, ever thought of that?

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Ytlaya posted:

I guess it's possible that the cello in question was some really lovely cello that just happened to be 50 years old or something.

It's also possible that the cello never existed at all....

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
So taking it all in, we can be super generous to the STDH writer and say it's plausible if by "antique" they mean "like 20-60 years old", the cello's condition before repair was "busted-up husk", the "repair" consisted of prettying it up enough to use as bullshit wall décor, and everything took place in a hippie commune.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

chitoryu12 posted:

Real people are superior to dummies because if you do something wrong, they start screaming.

SOMEbody never played Milton Bradley's Operation

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Imagine fixing someone's antique instrument (which probably costs hundreds of dollars) and being paid with a necklace made from the bones of his neighbor's dead bird.

It wasn't claimed to be payment, could just be something nice to (not) do. Like when you give your piano teacher a bottle of wine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

rchandra posted:

It wasn't claimed to be payment, could just be something nice to (not) do. Like when you give your piano teacher a bottle of wine.

"Which gift will she like more: a bottle of wine or a dead pet on a string?"

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The most implausible thing is that the necklace is for a third party.

The average bird person would wear that parakeet bone necklace himself.

:kheldragar:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The most implausible thing is that the necklace is for a third party.

The average bird person would wear that parakeet bone necklace himself.

:kheldragar:

I assumed she just had a weird neighbor she liked to barter junk with, and she was using deliberately misleading language to make it sound like several different people and make herself seem more interesting.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
To me the scariest part of The Exorcist is the spinal tap.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I hope that dude was white and also that that happened because it is an Objective Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Bargearse posted:

We still pretended we had a functioning democracy then.

I know that feel, mate. :911: