Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

PitViper posted:

Edit: So wait. When I look at plan charges in the app, my L plan is $70, or $56 after discount. The Unlimited shows $110, but is that including my two line access charges? It also says $10 off with autopay, which we're already on. This feels like they rushed it out without much in the way of details in the marketing materials.
Dude, it's right there on their web site when you choose Shop Plans. Click the ? under the prices for the unlimited plan.

$110 for the data plan + $20/line access fee, $10 off ($5 for a single line) if you sign up for auto pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Is the unlimited plan capped at 4 lines or can you add more but have to pay extra?

Also it still bums me out that they stuck with the $20 per line fee when they offered 15 for a while. Thats the main reason switching never makes sense to me. Im paying 15/month on 5 lines so switching to a new plan jumps me up $25 min.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think this is the first time I'm actually considering switching form AT&T. Currently on a grandfathered unlimited plan (with a 17% work discount) which comes up to $74.52/month after taxes and fees. $80/month plus some taxes/fees sounds pretty good. It'd be paying a little more but I would get tethering which I've desperately wanted for years. My iPhone 7 (bought through the Apple Upgrade Program) should switch over no problem and I'm currently out of contract with AT&T so the switch should be painless. Hell, even if I was under contract they just bumped unlimited data again so I'm still off the hook.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Is there no way to just see your current plan vs. unlimited plan, side by side, line by line, including potential discounts?

Also their wording is so loving poor on the Plans page for this:

quote:

With this plan you get a discount towards your bill for being on Autopay and paperless. With the new Verizon Plan Unlimited, you can get a discount on your monthly bill by signing up for Auto Pay (checking account or debit card only) and Paper-free Billing. You can sign up upon completion of your plan change. Discount will be reflected on your next bill cycle.

That seems like a more verbose and confusing way of just saying

quote:

You are receiving a discount on your current bill for being enrolled in Autopay and paperless billing. If you upgrade to the new Verizon Plan Unlimited and you sign up for Autopay and paperless billing, you will receive a similar discount, beginning on your next billing cycle.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Protocol7 posted:

Is there no way to just see your current plan vs. unlimited plan, side by side, line by line, including potential discounts?

Also their wording is so loving poor on the Plans page for this:

That seems like a more verbose and confusing way of just saying

But current plans don't offer a paperless/autopay discount (except for the 5GB single line plan that came out a few weeks ago), so that would actually be false

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AdmiralViscen posted:

But current plans don't offer a paperless/autopay discount (except for the 5GB single line plan that came out a few weeks ago), so that would actually be false

Depends on your discounts.

My corporate discount is actually 19% but I get an extra 3% discount if I do paperless billing.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
How much is the autopay discount?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

AdmiralViscen posted:

Then my original statement saying it's worded poorly still stands. At that point, I haven't selected other plans and it was showing my current one, and that message goes away if I select any other plans.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Aaaaand MyVerizon is down. Again.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I wish AutoPay discount was for all accounts... I'd sign up like, yesterday.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

About the only thing I'm wondering about now is how widespread network optimization is and how aggressively they throttle if you are on a congested cell site.

I mean, under normal practice I'm nowhere near 22gb. But if I go on vacation and I'm streaming video for hours on end while traveling, that could easily hit that point if I'm using the highest quality in Netflix. I mean, I could NOT use the highest quality setting...

Essentially, I'm trying to figure out if this is closer to a 22gb data plan cap with data protection or if it essentially is unlimited but I may only get like 5mbps speeds on some sites instead of 100+mbps if I go over the soft cap.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Wait I thought it was 80 bucks for the unlimited plan. When I go through and bring my own Device I'm seeing 130(-10 for auto pay)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dexo posted:

Wait I thought it was 80 bucks for the unlimited plan. When I go through and bring my own Device I'm seeing 130(-10 for auto pay)

That's pricing for shared data plan and not individual device. I'm not sure where in the process you need to specify.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

How much is the autopay discount?

5 dollars off on one line plans. 2-4 line plans is 10 dollars off.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
If I had to guess bull, it's probably the exact same as it's always been. Just with a higher ceiling. Basically your cup runneth over floweth until 22gb. After that, morning rush hour, lunch hour, rush hour, sports games, anything with major traffic; your poo poo's last in line and your ping will not be good. Off peak hours, resume flowething.

There's been a hidden soft cap on legacy unlimited for so long now, and I don't care what any one will say about it. I've noticed it being anywhere between 0-20gb. I thought previous billing's data had something to do with it, but when I started getting under 10gb back to back months, I still noticed it.

Seems like this new plan is the best it's gonna get. Currently in paying $151.xx/mo for 450 anytime, unlimited texts, unlimited data, unlimited tethering. Bill is due the 15th. I will be going in to handle this new plan as soon as i am able. Saving $40ish/mo is an easy decision. Also no fear of random letters from having a ham month on the data usage is just ease of mind. Nothing will change for me other than savings. I've learned all off peak times I can go full throttle in my area. If this will truly give me un prioritized access for that first 22gb, then it's a loving deal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, "safety mode" was 128kbps which is enough for the occasional IM and to keep your phone from freaking out due to no connection, but is otherwise useless.

But that was a hard and fast rule. "Optimization" seems a bit more fuzzy. I would like to think that at its worst it's still miles better than 128kbps and congested sites would be rare outside of major events and population centers, but I'm having trouble finding many real world examples.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
safety mode speed is an abomination onto mankind. at least give us 3G

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
To my understanding; network optimization is not the same thing as safety mode, as defined by Verizon. Optimization you still have bandwidth, you're just last in line, and again, poo poo ping. So basically, anything not video will load just might take a little longer than you want. Video after 22gb during peak hours will not be fun. Unless it's sub 480p. Pry won't pull much more than 2-4mbps, depending on market. Safety mode was a bullshit gimmick to suck $5-10 a mo so you don't end up paying 15. There was also no recourse for safety mode. After your bucket, you get crawl speeds to not get poped w an overage. Optimization, after your 22, will simply slow you down during peak. (Or off a pop'ed tower) After 10-11pm - 7-9am you pretty much have the full pipe. Maybe not massive markets, ny, la, mia, etc.

To your point tho bull, might be worth waiting a month. Screen out the horror stories. There's only about 750k left on legacy unlimited. I'm sure there will be tales to be told about those who've switched and what happens, for sure, after the 22gb soft cap. To that, I think I'm going to wait as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, there was no reason to wait. I was on the 12gb plan and it was more expensive (even after corp discount.) This is objectively better.

I'm just trying to figure out if I can truly have no worries about smartphone use outside of video if I run past that soft cap (which really isn't the case with safety mode).

Might have to conduct my own test for science.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Eh, there was no reason to wait. I was on the 12gb plan and it was more expensive (even after corp discount.) This is objectively better.

I'm just trying to figure out if I can truly have no worries about smartphone use outside of video if I run past that soft cap (which really isn't the case with safety mode).

Might have to conduct my own test for science.

Make a risk of your monthly data speeds on behalf of goons everywhere and stream a poo poo ton of data, see what happens, and report back.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

When I try to switch from grandfathered unlimited to the new unlimited plan, it wants to charge me $110 + the $20 line access fee for my single line account. Am I missing something or is my account broken?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bandire posted:

When I try to switch from grandfathered unlimited to the new unlimited plan, it wants to charge me $110 + the $20 line access fee for my single line account. Am I missing something or is my account broken?

There's a specific single line plan, so I think you have the wrong plan. Worst case, call in. I would bet Verizon is getting hammered today on this.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Duckman2008 posted:

There's a specific single line plan, so I think you have the wrong plan. Worst case, call in. I would bet Verizon is getting hammered today on this.

Thanks for the help. I'm clicking the "I have Verizon" link on the pick this plan page, so I think I'm in the right spot.

It's a wash right now because I'm still getting a 19% discount from my previous employer, but that's about to go poof. I'll wait a day or two for the chaos to die down.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Try the My Verizon app.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

bull3964 posted:

Try the My Verizon app.

The app wouldn't even load earlier today. Now it loads but when I tap the Unlimited promo in the app or tap Manage Plan it just opens the site in Chrome.

I'm using a Play Store Pixel if that could have any impact.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bandire posted:

I'm using a Play Store Pixel if that could have any impact.

Shouldn't, that's what I used last night and was able to do it all in app.

Must be some goofiness with your current plan. I was coming from a T-Shirt plan.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'd want to read the entire agreement before giving up ULD. I'm especially curious about whether there's a passage restricting the new unlimited data to 4G LTE. The timing is suspect, and I'd want to make sure the new agreement doesn't lock anyone out of 5G data when it comes out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really can't find myself caring about that.

My LTE speeds at my house are double that of my FiOS connection. Double.

I don't have a use for higher than 75mbps to my house, I sure as poo poo don't have a use for the 140mbps I get on my phone.

5g is going to be more important for providing connectivity to other classes of devices, there's not a ton of utility for cell phones.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd want to read the entire agreement before giving up ULD. I'm especially curious about whether there's a passage restricting the new unlimited data to 4G LTE. The timing is suspect, and I'd want to make sure the new agreement doesn't lock anyone out of 5G data when it comes out.
Vzw.com. Shop / Plans & Services / The New Verizon plan and click the ? next to Unlimited data. First three words (?) are "4G LTE only".

People seem to have forgotten how to use Verizon's website today, Seems kind of odd. Or I'm just cranky.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I really can't find myself caring about that.

My LTE speeds at my house are double that of my FiOS connection. Double.

I don't have a use for higher than 75mbps to my house, I sure as poo poo don't have a use for the 140mbps I get on my phone.

5g is going to be more important for providing connectivity to other classes of devices, there's not a ton of utility for cell phones.

What are your LTE speeds, and what area of the country? Just curious.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm sure, as always, rules will change with 5G. It's still no where near launch, so who the hell knows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

What are your LTE speeds, and what area of the country? Just curious.

Southwestern PA.

I did a speedtest the other night at my house and got a ping of 37ms, 146.33mbps down and 20.71mbps up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Southwestern PA.

I did a speedtest the other night at my house and got a ping of 37ms, 146.33mbps down and 20.71mbps up.

Nice. I'll post up southeast PA when I'm back later this week. I don't think we do near that well. Not complaining on coverage, but I don't see anything near those down speeds.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's a relatively new thing around here. I used to only get in the 60mbps range. I only recently checked because a friend sent me a screenshot from O'Hare airport that hit 169mbps.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Vzw.com. Shop / Plans & Services / The New Verizon plan and click the ? next to Unlimited data. First three words (?) are "4G LTE only".

People seem to have forgotten how to use Verizon's website today, Seems kind of odd. Or I'm just cranky.

Vzw.com. Shop / Plans & Services / The New Verizon Plan - Clicked I Have Verizon under Choose this plan and keep shopping - takes me to the Change Your Plan screen where I click Select under Switch to the New Verizon Plan.

The plan options are:
S $35
M $50
L $70
U $110

I fully acknowledge that I might be retarded, but it seems like it is trying to charge me shared data prices when I've only ever had one line on this account. I'm still on the old Nationwide 450 plan with unlimited data I signed up for 6 years ago and bought my last two phones outright. Like others have said it seems like a problem with my account that I'll have to call to resolve.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bandire posted:

Vzw.com. Shop / Plans & Services / The New Verizon Plan - Clicked I Have Verizon under Choose this plan and keep shopping - takes me to the Change Your Plan screen where I click Select under Switch to the New Verizon Plan.

The plan options are:
S $35
M $50
L $70
U $110

I fully acknowledge that I might be retarded, but it seems like it is trying to charge me shared data prices when I've only ever had one line on this account. I'm still on the old Nationwide 450 plan with unlimited data I signed up for 6 years ago and bought my last two phones outright. Like others have said it seems like a problem with my account that I'll have to call to resolve.

Yeah you should just call or stop by a store.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
You can switch back and forth between the "shirt plans" including unlimited, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Three-Phase posted:

You can switch back and forth between the "shirt plans" including unlimited, right?

Yes, but keep in mind anything above L (8gb) doesn't exist anymore.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Man, Verizon's web site is a little misleading. I was looking to see what the prices would be to switch to unlimited for our two-line plan for the hell of it. It made it look like I'd save $15 a month just changing to the shirt plan (going from 3GB to 4GB) until I noticed it only seems to be estimating $20/mo instead of $40/month for the line fees. Yeah, I picked "multi-device plan" and currently have two devices on my plan, but I want to totally only use one. If you click to continue, then all of a sudden it's the true price with the additional $20. You'd think they would actually look at the number of lines you have when estimating the new plan prices.

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 15, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GI_Clutch posted:

Man, Verizon's web site is a little misleading. I was looking to see what the prices would be to switch to unlimited for our two-line plan for the hell of it. It made it look like I'd save $15 a month just changing to the shirt plan (going from 3GB to 4GB) until I noticed it only seems to be estimating $20/mo instead of $40/month for the line fees. Yeah, I picked "multi-device plan" and currently have two devices on my plan, but I want to totally only use one. If you click to continue, then all of a sudden it's the true price with the additional $20. You'd think they would actually look at the number of lines you have when estimating the new plan prices.

If you post which plan you currently have, and the base rate, I can confirm if it would be cheaper for you or not. If you are on the 3GB More Everything the new plans are likely cheaper. Are either of your lines in contract?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Just to clarify, I'm assuming the 10gb Hotspot is for the plan, not per line

• Locked thread