Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Action Tortoise posted:

summon only purples :unsmigghh:

Purples were the biggest disappointment of 3 for me. They really should have amped up the random bullshit of it, instead of having it just be a shittier version of red phantoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Fun fact all the Dragon bosses of Dark Souls 2 were harder the more summons you brought. The easiest a dragon fight in the DLC would ever be was by yourself. IIRC one summon was 33% more health, less damage taken and more damage done. 2 phantoms was 100% for dragons. Take those numbers with a grain of salt but I trolled the ever loving poo poo out of my friends by asking for help with the acid dragon of Sunken King. Before Scholar when the weapon degradation bug was raging hard having a boss that innately broke weapons with its acidic skin meant you had to bring 2-3 swords, or just start swinging a Santier's spear.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

Purples were the biggest disappointment of 3 for me. They really should have amped up the random bullshit of it, instead of having it just be a shittier version of red phantoms.

Besides the NPC invaders I never really saw much of them in general. Their biggest disadvantage is that people would rather pick sure bets like sunbros or white phantoms over them, but I don't even see people invading as purples.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

Besides the NPC invaders I never really saw much of them in general. Their biggest disadvantage is that people would rather pick sure bets like sunbros or white phantoms over them, but I don't even see people invading as purples.

Because you couldn't. Using a red orb as a purple just treated you like a regular red as far as I remember. With no way to hide your soap stone color, the only people who really summoned purple were PVP chucklefucks but almost no serious PVP players used purple. People really wanted a covenent like the bells from 2, the bell covenent was the best one that two introduced. Three didn't deliver.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
I went out of my way to summon purple bros. I loved those guys. A few helped me all the way through and they were neat, some treated it like a fancy red covenant and that was fine. The worst ones which made them the best ones were the ones who helped me fight off other invaders, and steps before a fog door I was treated to a free backstab. Purple bros best bros.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Purples were super fun to summon because you had absolutely no idea what you were getting. Sometimes you'd basically be summoning a red, sometimes you'd be summoning a white, and sometimes you'd get pure chaos.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
For the first couple of weeks at least, then it was just another version of the red phantoms. That was a huge shame as the Mad Phantoms had a lot of potential otherwise.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've been playing a little bit of Magic Duels, and one thing I really miss from when I used to play Magic: the Gathering is how you could react after damage was assigned but before it was actually dealt. Some of my favorite cards were only worth using because of that. And obviously it's different cards now, but there are still plenty where it would be good to be able to do that.

Also, I don't like that planeswalkers exist as cards. Mechanically they're fine, but story-wise it used to be that the player was a planeswalker and they said there could never be a planeswalker card because it would have to be as powerful as a whole extra player. But now they exist and they're basically on the same level as creatures.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Magic origins is dragged down by a lack of squirrel decks. Druid's call on squirrel mob for life.

Actual content: the deck building interface is pretty terrible. Cycling through all the cards so slowly is a real pain, especially when I don't recognise most of them since I haven't played in years.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Also, I don't like that planeswalkers exist as cards. Mechanically they're fine, but story-wise it used to be that the player was a planeswalker and they said there could never be a planeswalker card because it would have to be as powerful as a whole extra player. But now they exist and they're basically on the same level as creatures.

Planeswalkers as cards was part of Wizards wanting to shuffle off all the godlike planeswalkers out of the setting, if I remember correctly. A lot died, and the remainder got depowered to the point where they are just really really powerful mana users (card-acceptable) instead of Gods.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

For the first couple of weeks at least, then it was just another version of the red phantoms. That was a huge shame as the Mad Phantoms had a lot of potential otherwise.
It was obvious this was going to happen as soon as people understood the game but it was really disappointing nonetheless :(

Also that "Absolute Madmen" never took off as the unofficial covenant name.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Planeswalkers as cards was part of Wizards wanting to shuffle off all the godlike planeswalkers out of the setting, if I remember correctly. A lot died, and the remainder got depowered to the point where they are just really really powerful mana users (card-acceptable) instead of Gods.

I haven't really been following MTG too closely, but thematically the whole powerlevel thing seems a little finicky at any rate. Last edition I played was the Greece-themed one, and one set of cards in there was of literal actual gods, too. You'd be calling down the analogue of Zeus or Poseidon to wreck poo poo. And while they were functionally indestructible, they were still only about two or three times as killy as some random dude with a spear :v:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Summoning is fun. I liked helping my friends play through the games when they had trouble. I'll never understand the people who get upset when people play through the game with summons. It makes the game an entirely different experience.

The original release of dark souls 2 looks way uglier than I remember.

Does anyone outside of youtube comments actually get mad about this?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

other than the whole time spiral story dealie that happened to explain this poo poo planeswalker cards run off loyalty so the card isn't representative of every thing they can do but how much help they're willing to give. Pluss if you cut out mana and junk a good deck has about 3 things it does anyway and that's represented just fine.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone outside of youtube comments actually get mad about this?

People will leave mean steam comments on your profile!

But like, no one who actually matters gets mad about it if that's what you're asking, and since the series is basically done there's not going to ever be any change to it either.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

I haven't really been following MTG too closely, but thematically the whole powerlevel thing seems a little finicky at any rate. Last edition I played was the Greece-themed one, and one set of cards in there was of literal actual gods, too. You'd be calling down the analogue of Zeus or Poseidon to wreck poo poo. And while they were functionally indestructible, they were still only about two or three times as killy as some random dude with a spear :v:

Theros (the Greek-themed set) wasn't the first time they had gods in the game either. Kamigawa (Japanese-themed set) had 5 gods as well. That being said, it also had the god of the plane itself represented... as a card that removed all creatures from the game. You can't get more "killy" than that.

Speaking of things that are dragging down Magic, that the storyline now seems to revolve around 5 specific planeswalkers as they randomly dick around the universe, and how for awhile there, they were just revisiting old settings (and not-so-old, considering Innistrad was about 4 years old at the point they revisited it), rather than paying any attention to the one-off planeswalkers they introduce each block.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

Yeah it sucked going too fast and having another character cut the person off mid sentence or even have the same character cut themselves off.

Reminds me of trying to play Fallout 4 on a 144Hz monitor.

Such a weird issue for a modern game to have.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got the first ending for World of Final Fantasy, but god it does not prepare you for the ordeal that is the proper good ending endgame. gently caress the Bahamut fight, I need to get banish at least, maybe go catch the Holy Dragon as well. He's harder than the bad ending's final boss, and x-potions are stupidly expensive at 10000 gil a pop, and hi-potions just don't cut it anymore.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It was obvious this was going to happen as soon as people understood the game but it was really disappointing nonetheless :(

Also that "Absolute Madmen" never took off as the unofficial covenant name.

Honestly I'm still pissed that invading as a Sunbro didn't mark you as a Jolly Invader or some such thing.

I miss the Rat Covenant from DS2. Best sort of "invasions" done so far in the series, IMO. Bloodborne came closest with its "if you want allies you'll have invaders" system but it sprung way too far back in the other direction.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
What's annoying me right now are games that re-use one button for different things. Specifically in Watch Dogs 2 and Assassins Creed: Syndicate

Whats annoying me about WD is their usage of the Esc button. In pretty much every game pressing Esc is a 'pause' button, it'll either function as a pure pause or just take you to the games menu, effectively pausing the action. In WD2 it works like that except for when there's any kind of dialogue, audio or cinematic. If you press Esc during one of those it closes it instantly which means that if I'm playing and someone interrupts me or my (real life) phone rings I'll find myself hit Esc from pure muscle memory only to realise I've just canceled the current convo or whatever with no way to hear it again. As far as I can tell there is no way to actually pause the game if there's any kind of audio happening. If someone needs me I either tell them to wait until it's finished playing or I give up ever knowing what was happening right there. It's aggravating as hell but it's the only major downer in this game.

In AssCreed: Syn it's the E button. E in this game is context sensitive which is fine 95% of the time except for Templar Hunts. If you're spotted during those missions the target tries to run to a carriage to get away, which is fine, except for when I catch up with him then need to capture or knock him out (E button). Because he's trying to get into a carriage half the time my character ignores the target and jumps onto the carriage (E button) leaving the target to make another run for it. Half the time I end up cursing, watching my target make an easy getaway while my guy walks awkwardly into a horse.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Did they drop the puppeteer controls after brotherhood? because I think that's why they used it in the first place to account for multiple actions while preventing any confusion with inputs.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

as far as im aware the game was designed for use with a controller, not kbm

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Dark Souls' PC control scheme was a thing of inhuman beauty.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
if you watch volition's streams one of the guys will explain his keyboard setup and it sounds insane initially but kinda makes sense when he explains his choices.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The best/worst unexplainable keyboard layout will probably always be the old Pirates of the Caribbean game. The ship part was fine, but about half the time it was a third-person sword fighty thing. Walking forwards was achieved with the left mouse button, while the right one was for going backwards.. I'm not sure whether there was any strafing. Attacking was done with shift and blocking with space. I have no idea how they even got to that idea. WASD had already been around for years at that point.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

See, that's my problem, really. Planeswalkers were the coolest thing about the setting. Where most fantasy settings have basically normal humans with maybe a semi-godlike antagonist, Magic was about literal gods fighting each other across universes and over massive time scales.

But I also preferred the old, less coherent, art, where stuff was more open to the artist's interpretation and some things ended up really weird or abstract.

Basically I want the much better designed gameplay of modern Magic with the setting and art styles it had before they got their poo poo together and homogenised it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Dynasty Warriors 8 (subtitles for days): it's not quite clear enough what calls and objectives are "do this right loving now" and which are "this might be important later," especially after the precedent set by the Wei second stage where you really need to save everyone all the time. If you choose poorly because it seems important, your allies might go ahead and drat near win the level for you, which is a little bit irritating.

Also my allies seem to be getting way stronger which means I'm less likely to need to save them. I like the bits where you rescue dudes, game. Make my guys less competent!

Game's hilarious fun though. First game where "now you get to play as that guy" has made me think "loving sweet he's a fuckin' pirate."

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I'm trying to play Deadly Premonition on Steam but there's some weird controller issues.

Right trigger does nothing.

If I aim my weapon and try to attack, York just holsters it. I think I need to get Joy2Key or a similar program to get it to work, but it's just gonna have to sit on my hard drive until I do.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm trying to play Deadly Premonition on Steam but there's some weird controller issues.

Right trigger does nothing.

If I aim my weapon and try to attack, York just holsters it. I think I need to get Joy2Key or a similar program to get it to work, but it's just gonna have to sit on my hard drive until I do.

I'm on my phone but look up dpfix by Durante. He's the guy who did the fix for Dark Souls and he also made one for Deadly Premonition that helps with a lot of their weird performance issues.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
The conversation about lore in the sister thread reminds me of something I see in a few games but Mass Effect stands out; having a few paragraphs to read in your codex or whatever while someone also reads it to you. I read much faster than the narrator speaks and the speech while I'm reading really throws me off and I just end up muting it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They didn't bring the Codex narrator guy back for the Andromeda, so I imagine many people felt the same.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

I'm on my phone but look up dpfix by Durante. He's the guy who did the fix for Dark Souls and he also made one for Deadly Premonition that helps with a lot of their weird performance issues.

I think I did get this. From a video I watched it sounded like the patch was more for crashes and stuff and that there was another patch to account for input issues, but I'll have to take a closer look at the readme.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Something dragging down Yakuza 0 for me is that I don't feel like I have a meaningful way of crowd controlling some mobs. If I run into some "delinquents," or even the dreaded "goons," it feels like two dudes are able to strike too quickly for Kiryu to do anything in response. I've only been knocked out like twice so far and I'm on chapter 5, so I guess it isn't a huge deal, but it's annoying to get juggled without having a way to mitigate it.

loving hilarious game though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Am 24 hours into Dragon Age Inquisition and I just found out that the 'Dragon Age Keep' save game importer that brings in your decisions and characters from the other games didn't work.

I'm annoyed that I spent two hours setting up that Dragon Age Keep save game exporter for nothing.

I'm annoyed that I've now got a male Hawke in my game instead of a female one, with no option of altering it.

And I'm especially annoyed that I give a poo poo about any of this - it's not like this bogstandard fantasy bullshit is that compelling.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

Glukeose posted:

Something dragging down Yakuza 0 for me is that I don't feel like I have a meaningful way of crowd controlling some mobs. If I run into some "delinquents," or even the dreaded "goons," it feels like two dudes are able to strike too quickly for Kiryu to do anything in response. I've only been knocked out like twice so far and I'm on chapter 5, so I guess it isn't a huge deal, but it's annoying to get juggled without having a way to mitigate it.

loving hilarious game though.

Do you have an item equipped called the "Compelling Autobiography"? You get it from a side quest pretty early on, can't remember which, might be the Michael Jackson one. It gives you a good stat boost but if you look at the description it says something about "people wanting to take it from you" - the game doesn't explain this at all (:downs:) but it actually makes enemies way more aggro towards you. I noticed I was getting stunlocked a lot by the same guys you are and then realized I had it equipped, a lot of people in that game's thread had the same problem.
If you notice it's way easier to fight as Majima than Kiryu then that might be your issue.

Content: I love all the mini games in Yakuza 0, karaoke is loving awesome, but the dancing minigame at the disco seems to have really hosed up timing and I can never get it right :argh:

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

Do you have an item equipped called the "Compelling Autobiography"? You get it from a side quest pretty early on, can't remember which, might be the Michael Jackson one. It gives you a good stat boost but if you look at the description it says something about "people wanting to take it from you" - the game doesn't explain this at all (:downs:) but it actually makes enemies way more aggro towards you. I noticed I was getting stunlocked a lot by the same guys you are and then realized I had it equipped, a lot of people in that game's thread had the same problem.
If you notice it's way easier to fight as Majima than Kiryu then that might be your issue.

Content: I love all the mini games in Yakuza 0, karaoke is loving awesome, but the dancing minigame at the disco seems to have really hosed up timing and I can never get it right :argh:

gently caress that's it, jesus christ. Thanks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ilmucche posted:

Magic origins is dragged down by a lack of squirrel decks. Druid's call on squirrel mob for life.

Actual content: the deck building interface is pretty terrible. Cycling through all the cards so slowly is a real pain, especially when I don't recognise most of them since I haven't played in years.

Once I made a deck of infinite slivers that my brother countered with a deck of infinite squirrels. We had to use math to figure out whose set of infinity was larger. It was the squirrels. :haw:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's a game site and not a game but dammit I need somewhere to complain about how bad twitch.tv has gotten lately. The feature where navigating to a different page shrinks the current stream into the corner is both unwanted and incredibly laggy. Moving from a stream to the Following page takes as much as 10 seconds or longer just because it has to do that poo poo, and trying to close a twitch tab while it's doing this can sometimes take just as long and lock up the browser for the duration. It's now faster to navigate around the site from a stream page by pausing the stream, closing the tab, opening a new one, and then going where you want to go.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The "best" part about that screen shrink thing is that if you go to the channels listing from a stream, the channel list is accurate to the time that you started watching the stream... Which is a good way to walk into a stream that ended an hour ago.

So in order to get an accurate list, you have to either open it in a new tab or refresh the page and lose the stream you were watching.

Twitch is just drowning in feature creep, which seems to be the fate of pretty much any new web service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Their whispers (private messages) are also pretty terrible if you are going back and forth between PC and a mobile device. Messages sent and received on one end up don't show up until hours later. I've had times where messages that showed up as being sent never arrived at all, leading to some awkward conversations.