Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I made a mistake in my iron man game and went to war with a species with a bigger fleet than mine, and my allies aren't very warlike....

And then before I realized it I'm back at war with another species and :rip:

Might need to just give up the ghost and start a new game....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ofaloaf posted:

It's too bad emblems can't just be recolored on their own using the in-game palette.

I wish. I'm curious as to how it was decided to make all the emblems gold.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Rakthar posted:

It's always nice when people drop by threads full of content and engaging in lively discussion only to post crap like this. Thanks for your contribution.

Please check your post history

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psycho Landlord posted:

I post in here pretty often, is it okay for me to post something like that? Because holy poo poo is he right.
Wiz appreciates the value I've added to his ignore list. Nothing annoys a developer like an underutilized software function.

Aethernet posted:

On weapons tech: the game could do with secondary effects on weapons that are more interesting than +/- shields/armour, and some interactions between secondary effects to create more choices. For example, some kind of 'gluon' cannon that reduced enemy ship speed plus aoe torpedos, countered by afterburners, would be positive.
Yes please. I end up using the power sucker and lightning arc things well beyond their game usefulness just because they're more interesting than Bullets Go Out V2.5.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Rakthar posted:

It's always nice when people drop by threads full of content and engaging in lively discussion only to post crap like this. Thanks for your contribution.

:ironicat:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Korgan posted:

Please check your post history

My God

It's full of :spergin:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

GotLag posted:

Edit: is there some long-running joke behind parrots having fishbowls or was that simply a product of dev whimsy?

While researching space travel for Stellaris to develop Lore and tech names, they came across an old cold war declassified paper about sending animals into space. So you had the monkey and the dog which are well known, but there was a parrot too in order to test whether it could fly in zero G. If you dig around a bit more and find a photograph of it, the parrot is wearing a goldfish bowl style helmet.

They talked about it in an interview when discussing how difficult it is to make aliens look alien, and instead you rely on looking at animals we already have and altering them.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
The most important feature in Stellaris is the ability for stone age parrot people to wear spacesuits at all times and I'll not have anyone tell me otherwise.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Preach!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Hey my parrots are still wearing the space suits, but the helmet is a new, deployable version.

I can't find the pictures you're talking about, but I suspect the parrot's helmet is to stop it pecking the poo poo out of everything in reach.

Also why don't space snapping-turtles get clothes?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

GotLag posted:

Hey my parrots are still wearing the space suits, but the helmet is a new, deployable version.

I can't find the pictures you're talking about, but I suspect the parrot's helmet is to stop it pecking the poo poo out of everything in reach.

They'd be too snappily dressed

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

This parrot-with-spacesuits-gate has gotten out of hand, tbh:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/831431612189569024

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 14, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I hope individual army units become part of factions, that will make mutinies and rebellions really interesting when your defensive regiments switch sides. It would tie in nicely with battle thralls too.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Demiurge4 posted:

I hope individual army units become part of factions, that will make mutinies and rebellions really interesting when your defensive regiments switch sides. It would tie in nicely with battle thralls too.

That feels overly picky and annoying to deal with. How would you flip them back? COULD you flip them back? I'm easily imagining a case where the randomly-decided faction of the troops which you were asked to recruit all end up not being on-message and only making matters worse, forcing you to recruit more and more till you finally get a decent force, and killing your treasury and wasting your time all the while. And if there is a rebellion thanks to the unrest, then you lose the planet.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bloodly posted:

That feels overly picky and annoying to deal with. How would you flip them back? COULD you flip them back? I'm easily imagining a case where the randomly-decided faction of the troops which you were asked to recruit all end up not being on-message and only making matters worse, forcing you to recruit more and more till you finally get a decent force, and killing your treasury and wasting your time all the while. And if there is a rebellion thanks to the unrest, then you lose the planet.

It's probably too Rome-esque, yeah. What if a percentage of army units on a planet just flip when a faction revolts? So if you have 10 pops on a planet and 6 of them revolt, they'll spawn the regular revolutionary armies but 60% of the armies stationed on the planet that are the same species as the pops flip with them. This makes it so that a subservient species of battle thralls will always be loyal against other rebellions (but you're hosed if they rebel themselves).

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I will not rest until all cat-like species are not allowed to start from wet planets. They really hate water. :colbert:

Okay, actual serious suggestion: can we get a basketball league so I can prove that Earth is truly the greatest empire?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Bloodly posted:

You switch them back by firing lots of conversion bullets at them from your guns until they are converted from living to dead and then you recruit non-traitor replacements.

Seriously though I've never really bothered building defensive armies for my planets because nobody can attack me in ground combat without bringing a massive fleet to destroy all my orbital fortresses first. And generally if they do that I can swing my massive fleet over and stop them and the transports following them well before they make planetfall, making defensive armies pretty much useless for me. I hope this update encourages people to build more armies as right now it feels like there's no point to having any beyond your invasion stack. (And lets not even go into the sheer shittiness of the army building, equipping and fighting screens, further discouraging people from ever playing with garrison troops).

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Honestly, there's no point in even caring about planetary defense because a) stations are worthless late game and b) you get all your points back when you reconquer it anyway.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GotLag posted:

I wish. I'm curious as to how it was decided to make all the emblems gold.
What's interesting is that the colors.txt file that defines what colors can be chosen in-game also defines what colors can be randomly mixed with other colors for a random country's flag design. And those entries list three colors.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I will not rest until all cat-like species are not allowed to start from wet planets. They really hate water. :colbert:

Okay, actual serious suggestion: can we get a basketball league so I can prove that Earth is truly the greatest empire?

Mix the mecha request and the basketball request and get some Basquash! going?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mister Bates posted:

Did the Goon Mod that everyone submitted species to ever get released? I submitted a bunch of races for it months back.

No, but a different goon race pack you never submitted to got released. And its still taking submissions and updates often!

Just post your races here or in a pastebin or something with the words SPECIES SUBMISSION somewhere in your post and I will get it included right quick

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 14, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/831472481395470336

#wokestellaris

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

In this case, I'm sure you can solve this issue with some matter disintegrators and then replace them with cloned slaves. No evidence of unrest! :science:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

#wokestellaris

Is that a new species portrait?

VVVVVVVVVVVV Awww :(

Korgan fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 14, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Fungally infested mammals have been in the game for a while. I think it might have been preorder DLC.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Wiz posted:

The most important feature in Stellaris is the ability for stone age parrot people to wear spacesuits at all times and I'll not have anyone tell me otherwise.

If this happens then the first time you encounter them they should start yelling about John Frum.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
That fungal infected mammal is from Creatures from the Void dlc pack which is, yeah, the preorder one i think.

There is at least one similar one in the core species list too though, and what i think is a fungal lizard type.

There definitely needs to be more fungal portraits about infected things though, maybe a couple insect and plant parasites too

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

are there any plans on having more than one species in a starting empire, even just cosmetically (so same ethos/habitability/etc). or two empires having the same homeworld maybe

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

oddium posted:

are there any plans on having more than one species in a starting empire, even just cosmetically (so same ethos/habitability/etc). or two empires having the same homeworld maybe

Yes.

Details to come.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

:hai:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

oddium posted:

I'd love some weird alternate starts like that, like an empire of two species on different worlds in the same system, or Space Capitalists vs Space Soviets in different systems glowering across the tombworld remains of their original world.
e:

Wiz posted:

Yes.

Details to come.
Oh sweet.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Just posting to say I have a great time playing Stellaris, I'm really looking forward to Utopia and Banks, and I appreciate Wiz taking time to post here and answer questions, even dumb ones.

Aside from my earlier suggestion about how to improve the leader system, my only sincere hope for a future feature is a button that lets me easily and visually tell what empires belong to what federation, or who have defensive pacts with each other.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

isn't there a diplomatic map mode for that

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Unless I'm misunderstanding it, it only shows how other empires feel about you. I want to be able to see separate federation's painted their own color. Currently you have to actually open diplomacy to see which one they belong to.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's in the bottom right, the two hands shaking. and then you can click other empires to see what their relative alliances and treaties are

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

go full dark souls and let other players invade your galaxy from theirs as the ultimate endgame crisis

(I actually kind of like this idea even though it's dumb and unworkable for a dozen reasons)
The third MoI game had an expedition system that could be worked for that maybe; you'd be able to fit ships with a certain drive, assign them to a fleet and then send them off. You could set mission length and then receive events that would be influenced by combat strength, different ships/modules used and whatnot.

You could log those, then have them invade another persons galaxy I suppose? I don't think that Paradox would be cool with logging that sorta info though

3 DONG HORSE posted:

No joke, I think something to interact with other empires that isn't purely trade/combat would be neat. It could be something like sports, sure, but also art, whatever. Stellaris now has both influence and unity, two resources you could spend and be rewarded with for something like that so yeah, I think the Galactic Hoops League would be a pretty neat idea.

"Once again the Space Dinosaurs of Planet Savage have defeated the Tiny Amoebas of Planet Cute in a game of Space B-Ball to win the Galactic Dodecahedron! But who will win in the Galactic Interpretive Dance Show coming up next month? Only time will tell!"

maybe more of a mod thing tho, but the idea of you funding a space Wrestling to further the unity of your people and your influence among aliens sounds wonderful

Endgame Crisis: You are challenged by other galaxies. Slam with the best or jam with the rest?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

3 DONG HORSE posted:

But many big cats actually love water and are great swimmers! :eng101:

Just not house cats, generally.

Also I would love space sports.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

GotLag posted:

I'm sure if you look at some of the online archives about the US space programme you'll find the pictures I was on about. The Paradox guys found them by accident!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Space olympics would own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
At some point I was doing a mod where you could discover the rules of Space Chess from an anomaly, spread the knowledge to friendly neighbours and eventually have a galaxy-wide tournament. I didn't finish it yet because :effort:

• Locked thread