Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not the first Nintendo or even Zelda game with DLC so dunno why people are getting mad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/rockcock64/status/831518502683017216

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think it's mostly that A) the first DLC is pretty lame and B) you don't have the option to buy them separately for a lower price if you only want one of them

I'd get pack 2 for 10 dollars but I'm wary about paying 20 when there's nothing in pack 1 that interests me

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

It's not the first Nintendo or even Zelda game with DLC so dunno why people are getting mad about it.

It's the first time they were paying attention.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

For me personally it's because they are acting like they are doing the player a great service by creating more content for a game that's not even out yet and charging money for it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CJacobs posted:

For me personally it's because they are acting like they are doing the player a great service by creating more content for a game that's not even out yet and charging money for it
now Nintendo fans get to know the feeling that PC gamers have prior to the release of any AAA game

zelda's made it to the big boy club

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Like even Hyrule Warriors let you buy each DLC separately if you wanted, so if you waited until they were all out and found out that only one of them was worth it, you could just get that one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CJacobs posted:

This is nothing new, this is how the game industry has worked since the Xbox 360 came out.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Is this the first time they've done a season pass aka the dumbest type of dlc?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think Mario Kart 8 had a season pass?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

Hyrule warriors had one too, but it was optional

E: Yeah MK8 too, but again they could still be bought separately as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

No. In fact part they've done multiple season passes for the same game.

This also isn't a surprise as DLC sales are, among other things, part of what made Fire Emblem go from About To Die to We're Making 4 Games At Once.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I said come in! posted:

This is nothing new, this is how the game industry has worked since the Xbox 360 came out.

I'm still loling at the flowery language used in the video I linked. "We care SO MUCH about delivering the best possible experience in Hyrule to you that we are going to continue making content just for you after the game releases! ...uh, it's 20 bucks though sooo"

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Sakurazuka posted:

My full on ignorance is showing but I can't remember another mainline Zelda/Ninty game that had DLC like this? Not a big Zelda at least?

I can only remember Fire Emblem having some maps etc but I wasn't thrilled with how that was handled overall either but there was a heckuva lot of content in the main game and the additional stuff didn't seem too major.

The additional dungeons better not just be sitting there in the main world in BotW but not accessible unless you pay, taunting people. Wouldn't be best taste.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Will you not be able to buy the DLC at a later date? It might just all come in one pack.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

It's also because of the "season pass" thing where they want you to fork over money for some really vague promises.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope they had season passes for Mario Kart and Hyrule Warriors, two for the latter after the 3DS version came out.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Wheres the Horse Armor switch shirt DLC?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackfyre posted:

My full on ignorance is showing but I can't remember another mainline Zelda/Ninty game that had DLC like this? Not a big Zelda at least?

Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros?

Edit: Like did we literally forget "You can buy Cloud as a DLC character in Smash for $6!" That wasn't obscure news.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There was also that Fire Emblem game on 3DS where you had to buy multiple copies of the game to get the full single player.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm posting into the wind today

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The mario kart dlc was sick as hell and a good value imo but preordering dlc in the form of a season pass is so drat backwards.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Definitely feels like most of this DLC content has been removed from the completed game rather than extra stuff that requires solid development time, especially Hard Mode.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, I think it's just sad to see Nintendo getting in on it, too.

I also think Nintendo is showing a lot of hubris right now. Rolling out a paid online service when so far their online has been garbage with maybe the sole exception of Splatoon, for example, and announcing a season pass like this for their only strong Switch launch title with almost no details about what it contains and which includes day one DLC, etc.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They did kind of the same thing with Twilight Princess HD requiring an Amiibo to unlock Hero Mode, which was the most low effort thing ever, so I guess that worked out for them.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

ImpAtom posted:

Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros?

Edit: Like did we literally forget "You can buy Cloud as a DLC character in Smash for $6!"

Hyrule I didn't really count as it was more 2nd party than 1st, but I did kinda forget about the other two. Might be because that was more just characters/tracks than full blown 'content'. Hey ho welcome to the world of tomorrow! Hopefully the DLC is good at least?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mario golf's DLC was fuckin dope

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

There was also that Fire Emblem game on 3DS where you had to buy multiple copies of the game to get the full single player.

Both Birthright and fates are full games with a lot content though and you get a large discount on the other game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Most of the actual DLC for other Nintendo games has been pretty high quality and worth the price so hopefully this will be too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mfcrocker posted:

especially Hard Mode.

This is the part that's nuts to me. Charging any amount of money for a single extra difficulty mode is ridiculous.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

They did kind of the same thing with Twilight Princess HD requiring an Amiibo to unlock Hero Mode, which was the most low effort thing ever, so I guess that worked out for them.

No it didn't. Hero mode was part of the game regardless, the amiibo only unlocked the special Wolf dungeon

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Downloadable content, what a world we live in where this is an okay expression to use to describe nickel-and-diming

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I'm still loling at the flowery language used in the video I linked. "We care SO MUCH about delivering the best possible experience in Hyrule to you that we are going to continue making content just for you after the game releases! ...uh, it's 20 bucks though sooo"

How do you want them to present it

"hey you loving idiots"

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

mario golf's DLC was fuckin dope

I'm so pumped for Mario Sports Superstars

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

How do you want them to present it

"hey you loving idiots"

I mean it wouldn't be dishonest at least.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

That's not a good comparison. Birthright and Conquest are both full-length Fire Emblem campaigns that are like 30+ hours each, each with a full roster of characters and separate maps. That, and you got half off of one if you bought the other, so you'd get like a 60-hour game for $60, which seems fine by me.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

CJacobs posted:

This is the part that's nuts to me. Charging any amount of money for a single extra difficulty mode is ridiculous.

And along comes Hitman and dumps the Professional Mode update for free.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

That's not a good comparison. Birthright and Conquest are both full-length Fire Emblem campaigns that are like 30+ hours each, each with a full roster of characters and separate maps. That, and you got half off of one if you bought the other, so you'd get like a 60-hour game for $60, which seems fine by me.

I got a 140 hour game for $80

Nintendo is capable of good and bad DLC. I just think this Zelda one is one of the bad.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

CJacobs posted:

He also got his contract pulled from disney, idk if that was posted itt

Yeah I posted it earlier.

The thing I forgot to post about that's already been deleted was boogie2988 trying to do a hot take on Twitter and burn Disney in the process by posting a picture of that scene that has Donald Duck saluting from "Der Fuher's Face" and going "Hmmmm looks like Disney themselves are allowed to make Nazi jokes HMMMM." without realizing the historical context and that the message of Der Fuher's Face was explicitly saying that life for the average person under Nazi Germany actually sucked guys we should really go and beat up Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I got a 140 hour game for $80

Nintendo is capable of good and bad DLC. I just think this Zelda one is one of the bad.

I never finished Revelations. I think I loved Conquest's maps so much that the maps in Revelations just weren't any fun for me. I should go back and finish it, though, I was really close. I think I was also kind of sad that I wouldn't get to use my own team for any of the story DLC maps because they all gave you pre-set characters to work with. I made my army on Revelations ridiculously strong because I knew how to work the system by then and I was hoping there'd be some super tough DLC maps where I'd actually need that strength.

But yes, I agree. There's good and bad DLC and this Zelda season pass shows every sign of being the bad kind.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 14, 2017

• Locked thread