Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

marktheando posted:

Are people really still freaking out about that animation glitch? Jesus Christ.

I guess if a super minor problem like that is the worst thing about the game then there really isn't much to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This game really does look like a check list cash grab to keep Mass Effect relevant, and I say this as a gigantic Mass Effect fanboy that wanted a 4th game. Not much longer until it's finally out and I really want to believe the marketing has just been awful.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

BexGu posted:

That's a female krogan? Is she a squad mate?

Actually I thought they might have been Nakmor Kesh, Superintendent for the Nexus. But previous shots of her are different from this Krogan. It could still be Kesh and they changed the model, or maybe this is a different Krogan and she's the engineer for the Tempest, idk.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Vitamin P posted:

That asari looks amazing.

Where's the eyebrows bioware

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Those new shots look great. I am confident that the game will at least be "pretty good" and that's all I need from a game I pay full price for.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

SgtSteel91 posted:

Actually I thought they might have been Nakmor Kesh, Superintendent for the Nexus. But previous shots of her are different from this Krogan. It could still be Kesh and they changed the model, or maybe this is a different Krogan and she's the engineer for the Tempest, idk.

That's a shame, cause a female Krogan teammate would give a nice and different perspective of the species/genophage to interact with.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
As long as the game doesn't have a persistent CTD one hour in, and a way to corrupt any save file made during the last third of the game, I will probably be okay with my purchase.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I said come in! posted:

If a AAA developer with the backing of the largest publisher in the game industry is cutting corners that obvious, then it's reasonable to expect the parts of the game that matter are going to be a problem too.

:shrug: it's hard to think of a large complex game that doesn't have similar occasional graphical glitches.

Seems to me like people are just nitpicking because they have already decided this game will be awful for whatever reason.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Personally I'm going to skip this and play all the other space opera games out there, such as

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Vitamin P posted:

Personally I'm going to skip this and play all the other space opera games out there, such as

Friend it sounds like star citizen is the game for you.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Vitamin P posted:

I mean that's the thing isn't it. Bioware isn't particularly well-served by the fact that they're the only ones putting out this type of game

like you could play the Witcher or Pillars or stuff like that but they don't quite scratch the same itch

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

I mean that's the thing isn't it. Bioware isn't particularly well-served by the fact that they're the only ones putting out this type of game

like you could play the Witcher or Pillars or stuff like that but they don't quite scratch the same itch

Until Cyberpunk 2077 comes out at least.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
ITT: complaining about sub-par animation quality like the best game ever made, Deus Ex, didn't have faces with about five polygons and looked like arse even when it came out.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
eyebrows on fleek

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

marktheando posted:

Are people really still freaking out about that animation glitch? Jesus Christ.

I guess if a super minor problem like that is the worst thing about the game then there really isn't much to worry about.

I think it's less of a "glitch" and more just poor animation.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

marktheando posted:

:shrug: it's hard to think of a large complex game that doesn't have similar occasional graphical glitches.

Seems to me like people are just nitpicking because they have already decided this game will be awful for whatever reason.

Welcome to The Something Awful Forums.

Also, hey everyone, check out this Mass Effect 1 Beta Video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n_5qcrd-6E

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Groetgaffel posted:

ITT: complaining about sub-par animation quality like the best game ever made, Deus Ex, didn't have faces with about five polygons and looked like arse even when it came out.

Yeah but back then they didn't have complex facial rigging like we do now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Deakul posted:

Welcome to The Something Awful Forums.

Also, hey everyone, check out this Mass Effect 1 Beta Video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n_5qcrd-6E

Ahahaha, is Ashley going through puberty in this video?

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I put hundreds of hours into every Bethesda game (and New Vegas) despite them all looking like this, and I will get 300 hours out of this game playing the fun multiplayer with my friends

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Groetgaffel posted:

I think people would be more forgiving of the typical wonky facial animations if there was something, anything, showing the basic gameplay loop of Andromeda for more than 5 curated seconds at a time.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Kurieg posted:

Ahahaha, is Ashley going through puberty in this video?

that is definitely 100% what Ashley sounded like in-game

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So male Ryder is really a short person.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

exquisite tea posted:

I think people would be more forgiving of the typical wonky facial animations if there was something, anything, showing the basic gameplay loop of Andromeda for more than 5 curated seconds at a time.

Is there a game where you could customise the face that also had good facial animations?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

So male Ryder is really a short person.

that thing from the character kit looked weird but in the trailers he seems to have much more normal proportions

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pattonesque posted:

that thing from the character kit looked weird but in the trailers he seems to have much more normal proportions

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

This is what it boils down to. People obsess over every little tidbit about games they're hyped/hate-hyped for and we don't have a lot of tidbits.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Is that supposed to be a dig?

Cause that's SisRyder and she's picking someone up by the arm; nothing looks off about that shot.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
She is leaning and bending her knees to support someone climbing out of flaming wreckage. God drat.

e: Oh, that's not even him?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

SgtSteel91 posted:

Is that supposed to be a dig?

Cause that's SisRyder and she's picking someone up by the arm; nothing looks off about that shot.

Schubalts posted:

He is leaning and bending his knees to support someone climbing out of flaming wreckage. God drat.

yeah I mean am I missing something here

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Pattonesque posted:

yeah I mean am I missing something here

This thread is starved for new content and is hyper detailing every last thing.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BexGu posted:

This thread is starved for new content and is hyper detailing every last thing.

Whenever new content arrives, there is an actual race to portray it as the gravest sin against AAA gamedom, each new screenshot or 5-second clip the surest indicator that ME:A will be Penn & Teller's Desert Bus but with more polygons.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Hamburger Test posted:

Is there a game where you could customise the face that also had good facial animations?
There's barely any games at all with good facial animations. The best ones are usually those that go for a heavily stylized look. Those that attempt to look realistic usually end up at the bottom of the uncanny valley, billion dollar mo-cap or no.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

homullus posted:

Whenever new content arrives, there is an actual race to portray it as the gravest sin against AAA gamedom, each new screenshot or 5-second clip the surest indicator that ME:A will be Penn & Teller's Desert Bus but with more polygons.

you got points for each negative spin you're the first one to make, and the one with the most points at release wins a special prize

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

homullus posted:

I hate to break it to you, but there has been an abundance of games released this year that looked good in previews, were given extensive hands-on time, and continued to be good upon release. The kind of backwards thinking at work itt that Andromeda MUST be good because we've seen almost nothing of it, and why does Bioware need to show us that anyway(?) hurts my brain. The level of oohing and aahing over a couple still frames is reaching Star Citizen ship.jpg proportions.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

AriadneThread posted:

you got points for each negative spin you're the first one to make, and the one with the most points at release wins a special prize

The prize is Jason.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

exquisite tea posted:

The level of oohing and aahing over a couple still frames is reaching Star Citizen ship.jpg proportions.

this but actually opposite

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah all the stills from the game have looked pretty good, which is to say standard for a AAA game these days. Nothing to write home about, but nothing terrible either.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I hate to break it to you, but there has been an abundance of games released this year that looked good in previews, were given extensive hands-on time, and continued to be good upon release. The kind of backwards thinking at work itt that Andromeda MUST be good because we've seen almost nothing of it, and why does Bioware need to show us that anyway(?) hurts my brain. The level of oohing and aahing over a couple still frames is reaching Star Citizen ship.jpg proportions.

I think Andromeda is going to be pretty good because I didn't have the problems with ME1, ME2, or ME3 that others have cited, so even if it's a cash grab, it will still probably be pretty good. They were all pretty good games with some great moments. I agree that the lack of gameplay footage is weird, but doesn't tell me anything about anything because there isn't anything to comment on. The lack of footage doesn't mean the game is amazing, that's for sure.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

exquisite tea posted:

The most recent screenshots look fine. Good, even.

The worst that can be said is that the expressions are overly action movie stoic. Yet people are practicing racing to be the first to declare THESE GRAPHICS ARE SO BAD THE JAGGIES BISECTED MY DICK.

The overall tone of the thread could be right, Andromeda might suck after all, and it wouldn't change the fact that this is a poo poo thread that should be gassed :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Holy poo poo this sounds loving amazing. How have I just read about this now??