Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
It'd better be within estimates considering how badly promoted it got. I don't think NIntendo even put up anything about TMS on their YT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That's legitimately a thing that I will never understand. We don't expect this thing to sell well, so we won't advertise it. People don't know it exists, so it doesn't sell well. As a result, this retroactively justifies the decision to not advertise as any budget towards that would've been wasted according to these sales figures and as we've proven people aren't interested in this we don't need to make anything else in the future that's more polished or anything as clearly there isn't a market for it.

It just... makes no sense, and creates a self-fulfilling feedback loop but I'm not exactly a marketing expert or anything so maybe it does make perfect sense and I'm just missing something really simple to someone who Gets It or whatever.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Carlioo posted:

It'd better be within estimates considering how badly promoted it got. I don't think NIntendo even put up anything about TMS on their YT.

They did

https://www.youtube.com/user/Nintendo/search?query=tokyo+mirage

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Dragonatrix posted:

That's legitimately a thing that I will never understand. We don't expect this thing to sell well, so we won't advertise it. People don't know it exists, so it doesn't sell well. As a result, this retroactively justifies the decision to not advertise as any budget towards that would've been wasted according to these sales figures and as we've proven people aren't interested in this we don't need to make anything else in the future that's more polished or anything as clearly there isn't a market for it.

It just... makes no sense, and creates a self-fulfilling feedback loop but I'm not exactly a marketing expert or anything so maybe it does make perfect sense and I'm just missing something really simple to someone who Gets It or whatever.
Honestly I think it's just that Nintendo figured anyone in the US that might be interested in TMS probably already knew about it. I don't know how you'd sell "RPG with a heavy dose of Japanese idol culture" to anyone who isn't already familiar with the culture already.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I literally only knew about this at first thanks to the FYE I was working at promoting it's release with a single sign we didn't take down for months. That was the only place I saw anything about it, online or offline, until I was actively looking for reviews after getting a WiiU. It really does just feel like it was pushed out to fulfill an obligation more than anything on Nintendo's end, which is too bad for a game with as fun of a combat system. For all its flaws (looking at you, jiggle physics), I wish there was the possibility of more of these games, instead of having that chance cut off before it even came out.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Carlioo posted:

There were a couple features on their YouTube channel and they did multiple Treehouse segments on it. My impression is that that audience for it just wasn't that big to begin with and got smaller after The Great J-Pop Revelation.

As for outfits, this game has some great ones, but Kiria's default Carnage Form sure isn't one of them.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Don't worry about Kiria's outfit, i'm sure the first chance Artix gets he's gonna put her in the reward outfit from her first sidequest and keep her in it like i've been doing with my playthrough because it's unarguably the best one for her :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Do I get to reveal my awful opinions already? :allears: Kiria's outfits are universally terrible and her only good one is her street clothes. Yes, even the Labyrinth outfit.

Artix fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 14, 2017

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Artix posted:

I mean, it probably didn't help, but Splatoon sold almost 5 million copies. I'm not saying their circumstances were the same by any stretch of the imagination, but coming off the success of both SMT IV and Fire Emblem Awakening, you'd think TMS would do better than 50k, even on the Wii U.

E: And to be fair, Nintendo has said the 50k sales were within estimates so it's not like they got blindsided. It just bombed in general.
Are those numbers global, domestic or just North America?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can already tell who Kiria's Stand is. Her outfit could seriously be worse.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

FractalSandwich posted:

Are those numbers global, domestic or just North America?

50k North America. It may or may not include digital sales, but we could generously double the sales at best in that regard.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Artix posted:

Do I get to reveal my awful opinions already? :allears: Kiria's outfits are universally terrible and her only good one is her street clothes. Yes, even the Labyrinth outfit.

I agree with this. All of Touma's outfits are great though. Especially his second sidequest one.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Artix posted:

I have this opinion about a different character but that most definitely be spoilers to mention at this point. So i will say that i'm about half and half on Toumas and i believe one of Tsubasa's got changed for the American release? I believe it's the one that they replaced it with and is personally my second favorite next to aforementioned Kiria outfit.

But different strokes for different folks i guess.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Artix posted:

50k North America. It may or may not include digital sales, but we could generously double the sales at best in that regard.
That makes more sense. You gave the global numbers for Splatoon, so I wasn't sure.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, now I'm getting myself all hyped up about the bullshit device their secret base uses to detect Idolaspheres. They probably don't even have one.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

It's because FE and SMT were on the DS and 3DS, and Persona is hanging around on the PS3/4...

Well, nevermind. It's demographic is different from those games and a little closer to the persona demographic.

I can't understand how video game marketing works anyway.

Maybe if the WiiU gets a bunch of other games I want, I'll buy it. But with the switch around, I don't think it's happening.

TMS looks great though. And Touma is awesome.

I like it. A lot.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Glazius posted:

Man, now I'm getting myself all hyped up about the bullshit device their secret base uses to detect Idolaspheres. They probably don't even have one.
Ten bucks it's shaped like the Fire Emblem shield from Awakening.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

AradoBalanga posted:

Ten bucks it's shaped like the Fire Emblem shield from Awakening.

I bet it's also named the "Fire Emblem".

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Ugh, and here it is. The worst default outfit in this game. Seriously, how did this thing get accepted?

The first thing wrong with it is her hair. I just can't take a person seriously as a sorceress when they have one of the most childish hairdo's possible. This impression isn't helped by those weird boxy ribbons in her hair. Then there's that eyepatch. Why an eyepatch? It's completely unnecessary. An impediment even. And it's not even a stylish eyepatch, it's some bulky poorly tied mess that looks like something made in an emergency with some spare cloth that happened to be on hand. The fur collar is also stupid as it doesn't even have anything to be the collar for. Is it even supposed to be one? Is it supposed to be shoulder straps? Either way, it's ugly and as I switched her out of that outfit ASAP I never got the opportunity to see how it looked from other angles. And then of course there's her breastplate that still leaves her midsection completely exposed and vulnerable. Gotta love that cliche, right?!

Honestly I'm not thrilled about her staff being a microphone stand either, but at least that's justifiable due to the whole pop idol thing. At least that part makes sense.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I'm gonna talk a bit more about the outfit once she actually joins the party but at least if you dropped the eyepatch it would be a Miku outfit. Like, not a *good* Miku outfit, but nothing about it would be out of place if you loaded up Project Diva F. As is it's just a mess that tries to pull off like 4 different styles and doesn't hit any of them.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It's. It's literally Miku. Square floating hair ties and all. I think I've seen something like it in truly forgettable Vocaloid PVs.

You already had Tiki doing a reference, did you literally need to put Miku's design in a game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

That Kiria outfit sure is something

the mic stand staff is cool tho

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

she's been hexed

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Maybe they put the eyepatch last minute because she would look and be too much like severa

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Luckily you can change outfits a bunch in this game: I like to have everyone run about in their everyday outfits, Persona style.

Also the biggest strength of this game is how well-paced it is. You're always getting new stuff for party members and new mechanics that make you more powerful keep getting introduced without it feeling like you were held back well beyond the halfway point.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
She stole papa Neir's eye patch thingie

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I thought they advertised this game a fair bit considering what it was, it's not like they just forgot about it. Plus the reaction to the first real trailer meant there was a decent chance people heard of it even if they didn't watch the directs it was in.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Tae posted:

Maybe they put the eyepatch last minute because she would look and be too much like severa

Apparently the eyepatch is considered a key part of the original design. Her entry in the special edition's artbook says it's there to cast her as "kind of a divine oracle"

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

she's half a prophet then

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
My opinion on Kiria's outfit: She lost a bet with her mirage and now she's stuck like that. That's the ONLY reason I can think of to have such a lovely outfit. At least she isn't Tillith from Brave Frontier (Mobile game).

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

KingEffingFrost posted:

Apparently the eyepatch is considered a key part of the original design. Her entry in the special edition's artbook says it's there to cast her as "kind of a divine oracle"
That's why that stupid thing is there? I think they missed the mark by more than a little, as that one never even occurred to me. I mean, if they'd gone and covered both eyes maybe that'd work for conveying the blind oracle trope, but whoever heard of an oracle that was only blind in one eye?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Norse god Odin traded an eye for wisdom. That's probably what they're going for here.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

The woman has butt feathers. I feel like we're giving a real hard time to an acceptably dork-rear end eyepatch while giving a free pass to a butt that looks like Lavos's first form.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Edvarius posted:

That's why that stupid thing is there? I think they missed the mark by more than a little, as that one never even occurred to me. I mean, if they'd gone and covered both eyes maybe that'd work for conveying the blind oracle trope, but whoever heard of an oracle that was only blind in one eye?

Most oracles don't have to fight and aim magic, so I suppose it could be a concession to practicality - possibly the only one in the entire game. I like ultrafilter's interpretation though. It just sounds really SMT.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the design is cool

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Heads up, it's on sale right now at Best Buy for $35, with GCU (paid program) it's 28. Today only.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-nintendo-wii-u/8713099.p?skuId=8713099

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I realise this is probably a dumb question, so take this with a grain of salt, but what is the "vagina bones" reference in the OP?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

We'll get there soon enough, don't you worry.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Rirse posted:

Heads up, it's on sale right now at Best Buy for $35, with GCU (paid program) it's 28. Today only.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-nintendo-wii-u/8713099.p?skuId=8713099

Thanks for this actually. I wasn't sure if I wanted to pick up this game for full price, so this is a really nice discount. My local Best Buy has a copy in stock still too, so I don't have to pay for shipping. Bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

ultrafilter posted:

The Norse god Odin traded an eye for wisdom. That's probably what they're going for here.

Odin had ravens to compensate

She has a microphone

• Locked thread