Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

207 million good lord. There no way Lowry actually gets that, right?

Though MLSE prints money now that the Leafs are kinda good again

People think philly will offer him the 4 year max

Idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Larry Coon should put up tax paying/tax receiving teams list, or sportrac, or some kindly person. I don't know who is an exception to revenue sharing to crunch the nombers properly, but I'd like to see them

Well, at this point he only updates it every other year or so but: http://www.shamsports.com/ .

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

oh poo poo i didn't even see that the Cavs dealt for Derrick Williams. he was pretty good in the rotation for the Knicks last year, and being on a LeBron team should keep him playing to his best potential. (then again, Dion was on a LeBron team and we all see how that worked out)

He got bought out by Miami and signed a 10 day with Cleveland actually

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The Lowe/Scotty Brooks podcast is pretty good.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Time posted:

I have worked on the sale of multiple NBA teams, I'm well aware of what you can sell versus what is legal

now this is interesting! what are some details that you can reveal about what goes into the sale and stuff like that?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

People think philly will offer him the 4 year max

Idk

It's gonna depend on the draft and on Noel's situation.

I'm of the opinion that they should re-sign Noel in nearly any circumstance and worry about moving him/cap repercussions when you're getting close to Simmons' payday

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I can't remember the last "win now" move I've liked from the Raptors, but I'm totally on board for the Ibaka one. Is it official or still just in talks?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Carlosologist posted:

now this is interesting! what are some details that you can reveal about what goes into the sale and stuff like that?

Yeah, that's really cool, I'd love to hear more about it.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

NBA journos think Ross is bad and Nurkic is good. What is this, 2014?

When I watch too many games it all blurs together and I only remember the funny and weird stuff. My NBA memory is all hosed up. 2015 and 2017 smear together. I can tell you about present pistons and everything else might be a false memory

Carlosologist posted:

I want to third that
How much are they getting away with

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Ibaka's looked kind of washed the past couple of years but he still has big game potential I gather.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Athanatos posted:

What else does Toronto have to move to get another piece this year? Their higher draft pick? With 1 more decent player they might be able to take 2 games from the Cavs and call it a successful season.

Also, pro-level thread name change.

There will be a camera guy who's job it is to follow him all night.

Raptors are likely banking on an injury sinking the Cavs. Love just went down again and Irving has been banged up. If one of those guys is out of the picture, they have a chance at taking that series. Maybe. I mean, Lebron has to have some fatigue from his six straight Finals appearances too, right? Maaaaybe?

But in all likelihood, this trade will put them back in contention for the second seed and then they will overpay Ibaka in the offseason. Cavs vs Warriors/Spurs is a mortal lock, isn't it?

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

207 million good lord. There no way Lowry actually gets that, right?

Though MLSE prints money now that the Leafs are kinda good again

Lowry and Serge will both get their maxes., if not the 5 year one from Toronto then the 4 year from a number of other teams.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
It's mostly really boring but one part that is fascinating is there is A List that exists with all known interested parties broken up by sport, league, location, and team. There are basically constant machinations going on to get franchises to change hands and there is a known "starting point" for sales that is based on buying power of the interested parties. You know how everyone throws around how much Ballmer overpaid? He really didn't. There were a lot of silent bidders looking for an LA franchise of any variety.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If nobody trades for Okafor, how does that change Philly's offseason plans?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Time posted:

2. This completely ignores the reality that sports franchises do not get valued by traditional metrics. They are almost unique in that their price is not reflected by future cash flows. Traditional corporate finance metrics are not used in industry for them.

Why not? I don't know much about this

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

SHOAH NUFF posted:

The extremely limited supply of them and the large quantity of billionaires looking to buy them regardless of earnings makes them valued closer to a combo of rare art and a stock more than anything.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I am loving excited for Serge Ibaka to give his average performance and watch the Raptors do a hell of a lot better.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Still waiting for some Morey Magic to turn Corey Brewer into a useful rotation player

Orlando didn't get much for Ibaka considering I kept seeing stuff like Capela or Harrell + Dekker + picks bandied about when the Rockets were interested

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Value increases relative to the value of the league as a whole. Because of revenue sharing, even teams that take a loss have their values increase if the league revenue goes up. In most businesses if you don't make money you fold.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/chicagobulls/status/831561472924852225

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

straight up brolic posted:

Value increases relative to the value of the league as a whole. Because of revenue sharing, even teams that take a loss have their values increase if the league revenue goes up. In most businesses if you don't make money you fold.

There is this too, but it's 70% that the global supply of billionaires has exponentially increased and they are increasingly looking to buy US based sports teams. even the bad ones.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Intruder posted:

Still waiting for some Morey Magic to turn Corey Brewer into a useful rotation player

Orlando didn't get much for Ibaka considering I kept seeing stuff like Capela or Harrell + Dekker + picks bandied about when the Rockets were interested

Corey Brewer is shockingly useless and it's amazing that he has held on this long. God bless him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Say what you want about Brewer but it will never change the fact that he and Josh Smith lead a three point barrage that gave them one of the biggest comebacks in playoff history

But yeah he's doodoo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I was still had the afterglow of that moment when I was kind of ok with the Rockets giving him 3/24

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Intruder posted:

Say what you want about Brewer but it will never change the fact that he and Josh Smith lead a three point barrage that gave them one of the biggest comebacks in playoff history

But yeah he's doodoo

Those two bombing the clippers out of the playoffs is really up there in the pantheon of unlikely sports events

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just noticed the new thread title and it's very good

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Time posted:

Those two bombing the clippers out of the playoffs is really up there in the pantheon of unlikely sports events

Smoove's threes looked just as awful as ever except they went in, it was great

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Spacebump posted:

If nobody trades for Okafor, how does that change Philly's offseason plans?

I would think they'd just look to trade Okafor or Noel in the offseason. I've seen a couple of rumors that the Pacers are interested in Noel.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Isn't Noel an RFA? So they wouldn't be able to trade him unless they match an offer sheet and wait until like December right?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Intruder posted:

Isn't Noel an RFA? So they wouldn't be able to trade him unless they match an offer sheet and wait until like December right?

Yes.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Do you think there's any chance Wilson Chandler or Gallinari will be traded? Gallo might be the reddest trade herring

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Either of those guys would be excellent backups for LeBron. I'm guessing salaries make any trade to the Cavs impossible, but I have done zero (0) research.

Edit: also they're both starting quality forwards

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/831572033985056768

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Intruder posted:

Smoove's threes looked just as awful as ever except they went in, it was great

Smoove has a good shooting motion.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Rhyming blue and blew is just amateur hour, she should be ashamed

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Dejan Bimble posted:

Do you think there's any chance Wilson Chandler or Gallinari will be traded?

Yes.

if I'm wrong, a ten dollar donation to the charity of the next poster's choice.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Intruder posted:

Yes

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

Rhyming blue and blew is just amateur hour, she should be ashamed

roses are red
rondo's shot chart is too
3-1 is the lead
the warriors blew

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Intruder posted:

Spoilers on what happens with Noel Dallas offers max, Dallas fans slowly gain hope Philly won't match because the team was able to get Barnes the previous year via rfa, Philly waits until the last minute to match, Dallas misses out on any other big man that can play defense while waiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

dokmo posted:

Yes.

if I'm wrong, a ten dollar donation to the charity of the next poster's choice.

BREAKING - NBA Insider Confirms Gallo to Cleveland

• Locked thread