Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Collateral Damage posted:

So instead of just pre-heating the cup with some warm-but-not-boiling water before pouring hot water in, they decided that ruining the tea was a better method?

I see you're not very familiar with British cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Collateral Damage posted:

So instead of just pre-heating the cup with some warm-but-not-boiling water before pouring hot water in, they decided that ruining the tea was a better method?

Originally we would warm up the teacup with some beer, but some people wouldn't quit complaining about the flavor profile.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Lets just be open and honest about this whole thing. What are you savages doing adding milk to tea in the first place?

Tea leaves, boiling water, done. Maybe honey or sugar if you feel fancy. Milk...what are we babies that need a widdle cweam in our dwink? Toughen up.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Adding anything at all to tea just ruins the flavour and makes it taste like water with whatever you added heavily diluted. If you brew tea properly, even cheap stuff, it should be sweet on its own.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Lets just be open and honest about this whole thing. What are you savages doing adding milk to tea in the first place?

Tea leaves, boiling water, done. Maybe honey or sugar if you feel fancy. Milk...what are we babies that need a widdle cweam in our dwink? Toughen up.

Pah I've yet to meet a Briton that doesn't drink teabag swill.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'd buy the heck out of a glass front dishwasher.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

there wolf posted:

That's just a holdover from the days when your inferior British porcelain would crack when hot water/tea was poured in.

is this a joke or just an old wives' tale? because this was basically only true hundreds of years ago when the British hadnt figured out how the Inscrutable Chinese made good porcelain or w/e

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'd buy the heck out of a glass front dishwasher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IaT90jhuB0

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Many (most?) Americans who think milk is disgusting in tea, tried it with Lipton and discovered that yes, that's disgusting. But that's because Lipton isn't normal tea... it's formulated to make good iced tea, which is a different beast altogether.

If you buy a decent loose leaf Indian style black tea, brew it, and then add a bit of milk, it's very very nice that way.

The casein in milk bonds to tea catechins and chemically alters it. You can brew tea in water with the milk already in it - that's how chai is properly made - but you must simmer it for longer, and the flavor is going to be quite different.

Also, research has suggested adding milk removes the health benefits of drinking tea:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10913-milk-wrecks-the-health-benefits-of-tea/

However, that ten-year-old study which has been widely referenced turns out to be a gross oversimplification:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24001682

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Many (most?) Americans who think milk is disgusting in tea, tried it with Lipton and discovered that yes, that's disgusting. But that's because Lipton isn't normal tea... it's formulated to make good iced tea, which is a different beast altogether.

If you buy a decent loose leaf Indian style black tea, brew it, and then add a bit of milk, it's very very nice that way.

The casein in milk bonds to tea catechins and chemically alters it. You can brew tea in water with the milk already in it - that's how chai is properly made - but you must simmer it for longer, and the flavor is going to be quite different.

Also, research has suggested adding milk removes the health benefits of drinking tea:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10913-milk-wrecks-the-health-benefits-of-tea/

However, that ten-year-old study which has been widely referenced turns out to be a gross oversimplification:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24001682

Not gonna lie. I love me a nice chai latte.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People not rinsing dishes is news to me and seems absolutely insane, you're not actually washing the dishes and you're leaving a mix of dirt and soap on everything. Do these same people just jump in the shower, turn it off, soap up, and jump out and dry off with a towel??? It's not like wiping standing up or sitting down, it's just not washing your rear end at all. "I just rub a bar of soap on my rear end and call it a day"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

e: I can not read.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Slanderer posted:

is this a joke or just an old wives' tale? because this was basically only true hundreds of years ago when the British hadnt figured out how the Inscrutable Chinese made good porcelain or w/e

So it was true in the past, making it a holdover from those days...

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

People not rinsing dishes is news to me and seems absolutely insane, you're not actually washing the dishes and you're leaving a mix of dirt and soap on everything. Do these same people just jump in the shower, turn it off, soap up, and jump out and dry off with a towel??? It's not like wiping standing up or sitting down, it's just not washing your rear end at all. "I just rub a bar of soap on my rear end and call it a day"
For everything in life they don't teach in public school, people are just imitating the motions of what they've seen people do on TV and movies. They don't think about what they're doing or why or if it is accomplishing an outcome they want. If you want to really get grossed out, what does the average person who hasn't had a food handlers' card know about washing their hands? ADD WATER WIPE WITH TOWEL

Alereon fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 14, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I know right? Also kind of gross to me: having a bubble bath and then not rinsing in the shower afterwards. Actually baths are pretty gross anyway unless you shower first. I mean super relaxing and still quite nice, but try not to think about the fact your anus is immersed in the same water you're sticking your face in.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alereon posted:

For everything in life they don't teach in public school, people are just imitating the motions of what they've seen people do on TV and movies. They don't think about what they're doing or why or if it is accomplishing an outcome they want. If you want to really get grossed out, what does the average person who hasn't had a food handlers' card know about washing their hands? ADD WATER WIPE WITH TOWEL

:lol: at not having been taught how to do dishes at school.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was a kid who had never done dishes before and needed a glass but they were all dirty. I took a glass from the sink, put soap on it, washed it, then rinsed it because why would I want to drink soap? I must not have rinsed it 100% because there was a hint of soap taste, so I re-rinsed it. When doing dishes you can feel when there's still soap on the dish, you rinse until it's squeaky clean otherwise that might be soap or food grease still on the plate. This is some basic "fire hot!" level poo poo.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Baronjutter posted:

This is some basic "fire hot!" level poo poo.

That's why I always rinse my fire.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I was a kid who had never done dishes before and needed a glass but they were all dirty. I took a glass from the sink, put soap on it, washed it, then rinsed it because why would I want to drink soap? I must not have rinsed it 100% because there was a hint of soap taste, so I re-rinsed it. When doing dishes you can feel when there's still soap on the dish, you rinse until it's squeaky clean otherwise that might be soap or food grease still on the plate. This is some basic "fire hot!" level poo poo.

No poo poo, about the only thing anyone with a couple brain cells to rub together needs help with is a more efficient way to do it. I guess the people who can't figure out how to wash a cup in the first place are the ones who voted for Brexit/don't know ACA=Obamacare.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I also never understood drying dishes, but apparently in some places the water is all hosed up and leaves stains if you just let them dry on their own? Also putting wet dishes away in the cupboard is a good way to gently caress up your cabinets. When I was a teen I knew some dudes who had rotting moldy lovely cupboards because they'd just throw their wet poorly washed dishes right in and close it up. Oh they also stored bread and cereal and poo poo in the same cupboards they'd be loading with dripping wet dishes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bad Munki posted:

That's why I always rinse my fire.

Rinse WITH fire. It's the only way to be sure.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Alereon posted:

I can't help but watch people wash their hands at sinks next to mine in the corners of my eye because I think I've seen single digit people wash their hands properly in my life. Most people put soap on their dry hands, immediately rinse it off, and then pointlessly rub water on their hands for a few seconds. It's pretty crazy how common this particular wrong way of handwashing seems.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Cause most people don't give a gently caress about washing their hands correctly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I also never understood drying dishes, but apparently in some places the water is all hosed up and leaves stains if you just let them dry on their own? Also putting wet dishes away in the cupboard is a good way to gently caress up your cabinets. When I was a teen I knew some dudes who had rotting moldy lovely cupboards because they'd just throw their wet poorly washed dishes right in and close it up. Oh they also stored bread and cereal and poo poo in the same cupboards they'd be loading with dripping wet dishes.

Yeah, hard water will leave spots everywhere, even in the dishwasher. That's why you've got stuff like Jet Dry.
If it's only a few dishes, we've got a drying rack. Lately, we've just taken to doing a light rinse, and putting them in the dishwasher, all to be washed at the end of the day. Keeps the sink from filling up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

I can't help but watch people wash their hands at sinks next to mine in the corners of my eye because I think I've seen single digit people wash their hands properly in my life. Most people put soap on their dry hands, immediately rinse it off, and then pointlessly rub water on their hands for a few seconds. It's pretty crazy how common this particular wrong way of handwashing seems.

Worse still are the fuckers who just walk out of the bathroom without washing. You're the reason we have the little tissues to open the door with, fucker. I don't want to touch the door handle you just put your dong-hands all over.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Darchangel posted:

Worse still are the fuckers who just walk out of the bathroom without washing. You're the reason we have the little tissues to open the door with, fucker. I don't want to touch the door handle you just put your dong-hands all over.

But I just got done rinsing my hands at the urinal, why would I need to do it again at the sink?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Your cupboards are a piece of poo poo.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If we're going down the handwashing derail, we can talk about the lovely motion-activated sinks, soap dispensers, and paper towel dispensers / blow driers that never loving work. Just give me a drat foot pedal for the water, and I'm not afraid to touch the soap dispenser because I'm literally about to wash my hands. I've had to walk out without washing my hands because I couldn't get any drat water in some places. For drying, at least I can wipe them on my pants in a worse case.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Is that a loving Cambro pan? I've never seen those outside of foodservice in my life.

I never realized how wrongly I washed my hands until I worked at Subway and the Safeway deli.

Re: dish chat, see foodservice mention above. Between those two shitholes, lack of PPE, and piping hot water, my hands were a red, swollen, cracked, bleeding mess. Something about the soaps and sanitizers just reacted really poorly with me. All that worked was Eucerin, and only slightly; and since then, it's always resurged if I try to hand-wash dishes at home. We have one dishpan and let stuff soak, which I rinse (if necessary) and load into the dishwasher after dinner to run during the night.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

DIY & Hobbies › Crappy Construction Tales: SHUT UP ABOUT loving DISHWASHING

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

But I need to wash these dishes, I have like four hundred of them

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

null_pointer posted:

DIY & Hobbies › Crappy Construction Tales: SHUT UP ABOUT loving DISHWASHING

More like DIY & Hobbies › Crappy Construction Tales: THE DISHFUCKER 9000

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jerry Cotton posted:

Your cupboards are a piece of poo poo.

Drying rack cupboards are for some reason basically only a thing in Finland.

It's such a simple goddamn idea. Those cupboards go over your sink, and they're just fine for storing the dishes too, because not like dust settles there.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

endlessmonotony posted:

It's such a simple goddamn idea. Those cupboards go over your sink, and they're just fine for storing the dishes too, because not like dust settles there.

My family in Vietnam had them too. I like the wire mesh dish holder/cabinet bottom. Since it's directly over the sink, you can put dishes away wet and they'll drip right into the sink.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

Nah, had that in Greece when I went there. Loved it. Will put it in the future American house.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

Windows go over the sink. I can't mount a cabinet on my window

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ashcans posted:

But I just got done rinsing my hands at the urinal, why would I need to do it again at the sink?

Oh, eeeeeewwww.

FCKGW posted:

Windows go over the sink. I can't mount a cabinet on my window

Well, you CAN, but it's just inconvenient to open the cabinet to let fresh air in.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you touch your weiner when you piss, you should probably wash your hands first. Your hands have been touching all manner of surfaces and maybe people and animals and whatnot and they're filthy from the get-go.

Similarly, people who worry about the door handle on the way out of the restroom have it backwards. The handle on the way in has been touched by a lot of people who haven't washed their hands yet (and a lot who need to), and now you're gonna directly provide a vector from that surface to your genitalia?

But really actually we're a cleanliness-obsessed society and we're suffering enormous blowback in many ways for being way too worried about germs.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Leperflesh posted:

If you touch your weiner when you piss, you should probably wash your hands first. Your hands have been touching all manner of surfaces and maybe people and animals and whatnot and they're filthy from the get-go.

Similarly, people who worry about the door handle on the way out of the restroom have it backwards. The handle on the way in has been touched by a lot of people who haven't washed their hands yet (and a lot who need to), and now you're gonna directly provide a vector from that surface to your genitalia?

Oh gently caress.

I've always been paranoid about exiting the restroom - why are those door handles wet: is it clean water or stale piss?

Now I have to worry about getting nasties on my beloved bits...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
and that is why i just piss my pants at work. Cant be too careful.