Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

My friend confessing to me a couple weeks ago that he cheated 3 years ago when we regularly played Space Alert and finally completed a mission successfully broke my heart more than any game of Diplomacy ever could. We're getting that game back in rotation next week.

One who cheats at board games must be punished before redemption. The sentence is playing one game of Monopoly all they way through to the end following official rules as written, no house rules allowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
We played Aetherium tonight. Good times, good times.

In other boardgame news, we played a few more games in our Pandemic Legacy (Season 1) game yesterday. Holy poo poo, the things that transpire in April... :stare:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Played the new Conan board game tonight. My second play, but my two buddies who came over were trying it for the first time.

It's surprisingly good! The only complaints I have come from a couple instances of vague rules-writing, probably down to the fact the English rules are a translation from rules originally written in French. But I emailed the company with a rules question from my first playthrough and they already replied with a clarification so that's pretty cool.

Conan got killed by a giant snake, and Belit tried to save the day by hurling Zogar Sag's head through a hole in the wall of his hut so that Hadrathas could pick it up like a football and try and get it off the map. Alas, the Pictish reinforcements locked down Shevatas, who could not escape in time. Belit avenged Conan's death, at least.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The issue with the X-Com game is that in the end most of the roles just end up being variants of push-your-luck with very similar mechanism. So one role might place planes on a map (and then use push-your-luck mechanisms to get a result) and another places dude on an encounter (and then uses push-your-luck mechanisms to get a result). The only role that has meaningful decisions is the scientist, because you have to decide what to research. All other roles just try to prevent bad stuff from happening.

Space Alert, strangely, has more distinctive roles while at the same time not really having a defined, strict role guideline like X-Com.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

neonbregna posted:

My uncle that works for games workshop and the dude that I am cucking that works for forge world have both told me that there will be 5 factions so it is totally not aos. It will be (1) astra militarim, neutral good, (2) Aeldari Ynarri, chaotic neutral, (3) lawful neutral, current chaos space marines once the corpse emperor is slain, (4) chaotic evil, dark eldar and current daemons, (5) true neutral, orcs, tyranids, tau. Thus will true balance be achieved and rules will be made good.
I know this is a joke post, but we live in a post AoS Trump presidency world. I'd say it's plausible.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There is a wine/craft beer place close to me that's hosting a boardgame night next weekend. I'll be bringing Sheriff and Aetherium at least... maybe Arcadia Quest?

I'll have to see how big the table are... a lot of my favorite boardgames need a huge amount of space.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Terrible Opinions posted:

I know this is a joke post, but we live in a post AoS Trump presidency world. I'd say it's plausible.

I think I have given up on the world not making sense and didn't bother to question it. If they do roll factions together I would expect a unified imperium faction containing everything that sells. Anything that doesn't is done for, at least until they bolt on some expansions.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

this skelly knows whats up

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
He's just hiding a boner.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

this skelly knows whats up

give

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dr. VooDoo posted:

One who cheats at board games must be punished before redemption. The sentence is playing one game of Monopoly all they way through to the end following official rules as written, no house rules allowed

He said he didn't enjoy failure anymore and I always thought it was weird that we won with our one friend who was a useless captain. In any case, he'll play it since our newer board gaming gaming friends are up for it but he says he gets stressed out about the real time nature of it. Doesn't matter - we are crafting together a crew once again, so we can then start owning our other friends at captain sonar later.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

LordAba posted:

There is a wine/craft beer place close to me that's hosting a boardgame night next weekend. I'll be bringing Sheriff and Aetherium at least... maybe Arcadia Quest?

I'll have to see how big the table are... a lot of my favorite boardgames need a huge amount of space.

Why are you not bringing Vinhos and Viticulture?!

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
I bought Total Warhammer. It's in a humble bundle so I got it for $12. That's more my speed when it comes to paying for video games. It has an OBNOXIOUS AMOUNT of DLC though. Holy gently caress, half factions are behind pay walls.

E: I've also managed to play it for 20 minutes today and haven't made it past a loading screen. Thanks for the stats Steam!

Sir Teabag fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 13, 2017

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sir Teabag posted:

I bought Total Warhammer. It's in a humble bundle so I got it for $12. That's more my speed when it comes to paying for video games. It has an OBNOXIOUS AMOUNT of DLC though. Holy gently caress, half factions are behind pay walls.
You get a lot of bang for your buck from the base game alone and the game is fun at least.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sir Teabag posted:

E: I've also managed to play it for 20 minutes today and haven't made it past a loading screen. Thanks for the stats Steam!

Bretonnia's coming out for free at the end of the month, so there's that. Anyway, if you waited this long to get the game, I'm sure you can wait longer to play any factions you're absolutely dying to play when their dlc goes on sale. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than playing with minis either way.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Bretonnia's coming out for free at the end of the month, so there's that. Anyway, if you waited this long to get the game, I'm sure you can wait longer to play any factions you're absolutely dying to play when their dlc goes on sale. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than playing with minis either way.

That's true.

It's making me want to play some sort of massed fantasy game though. These Dwarves are quite fun to smash into lines of orcs with.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I accidentally set unit size down in the graphics options and was very confused when my dwarves only had two grudge throwers per unit.

Set that to ultra even if you have to lower everything else.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You don't need any of the DLC to get a ton of playtime out of the base factions the game comes with.

That said: did anyone else find the main Empire campaign to be super difficult? At some point the waves of chaos dudes showing up are just overwhelming. Probably I need to try again from scratch. Maybe I'm just bad at games.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

He said he didn't enjoy failure anymore and I always thought it was weird that we won with our one friend who was a useless captain. In any case, he'll play it since our newer board gaming gaming friends are up for it but he says he gets stressed out about the real time nature of it. Doesn't matter - we are crafting together a crew once again, so we can then start owning our other friends at captain sonar later.

Captain Sonar is a ton of fun, but you've got to be in-character (read: drunk) to properly play the captain. That sub isn't going to drunk-drive itself :cheers:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The norscans kind of need a re-balancing. Right now it's generally best to leave Middenland, Nordland, and Marienburg independent to be a buffer against them.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Board game recommendation: Mysterium

It's loving good, eh?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TKIY posted:

Board game recommendation: Mysterium

It's loving good, eh?

Jesus, gently caress, it's amazing! But being the ghost is pretty goddamned difficult, especially if the people you're playing with are constantly overthinking things.

:derp: "Oooh, this has a hammer in it. The murder weapon could be a hammer!"
:ghost: ...yes...yes...choose the hammer...
:derp: "But the background color is green and the background color of the typewriter is green, whereas the background color of the hammer is blue. Maybe I should pick the typewriter."
:ghost: ...:wtc:...

But last time I played as the ghost I managed to get 4 out of 5 mediums (media?) to guess correctly with only looking at 2 of the 3 final clue cards.

I love how loving surreal the art is, though.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Leperflesh posted:

You don't need any of the DLC to get a ton of playtime out of the base factions the game comes with.

That said: did anyone else find the main Empire campaign to be super difficult? At some point the waves of chaos dudes showing up are just overwhelming. Probably I need to try again from scratch. Maybe I'm just bad at games.

You aren't the first that I have heard raise this complaint.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ilor posted:

Jesus, gently caress, it's amazing! But being the ghost is pretty goddamned difficult, especially if the people you're playing with are constantly overthinking things.

:derp: "But the background color is green and the background color of the typewriter is green, whereas the background color of the hammer is blue. Maybe I should pick the typewriter."

But last time I played as the ghost I managed to get 4 out of 5 mediums (media?) to guess correctly with only looking at 2 of the 3 final clue cards.

They just released an expansion, just new cards but the artwork is even better.

Fantastic party game.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Leperflesh posted:

Not "super" difficult, but definitely harder than I expected it to be. I think I was partially assuming that as the "human campaign", it'd be one of the simpler ones to start. In reality though, your starting position means you pretty much have to interact with all the game elements (including diplomacy, managing corruption, and hero actions, all of which are a bit tricky) right out the gate.

Two things I found help a lot with the chaos hordes are a) remembering reinforcements, having two full stacks traveling together can help a LOT, and b) using lightning strike, which prevents chaos from gain reinforcements when you attack (which should be harder for them to do given that infighting is one of their big weaknesses, but the AI seems to not have that handicap).

On another note, I did quite enjoy my very first game of total warhammer. I played the dwarves, and knew gently caress all what I was doing, and somehow got it in my head that without specific military access treaties I couldn't pass through peaceful territories without declaring war. So after trying for many turns to get the drat empire to grant me military access so I could go reconquer the dwarf territories to the west, I was like "gently caress it" and just started burning my way through the empire. Meanwhile, the vampires, who I had a basic non-aggression pact with, decided I was their best friend in the whole world and ended up forming a military alliance with me and burning the other half the old world to the ground. So when archaeon finally showed up, he found the smoldering ruins of the empire, with Thorgrim Grudgebearer forging BFF necklaces for him and Mannfred Von Carstein in the burned out remnants of Altdorf, and just sort of meandered about aimlessly, wondering what the gently caress was wrong with the world, before loving off back to the north. And then I won the game.

(okay, technically it was like 10 turns later after I sent a force to recolonize the north, but still, it was a better forged narrative than any of the bullshit in AoS)

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Desiden posted:

On another note, I did quite enjoy my very first game of total warhammer. I played the dwarves, and knew gently caress all what I was doing, and somehow got it in my head that without specific military access treaties I couldn't pass through peaceful territories without declaring war. So after trying for many turns to get the drat empire to grant me military access so I could go reconquer the dwarf territories to the west, I was like "gently caress it" and just started burning my way through the empire. Meanwhile, the vampires, who I had a basic non-aggression pact with, decided I was their best friend in the whole world and ended up forming a military alliance with me and burning the other half the old world to the ground. So when archaeon finally showed up, he found the smoldering ruins of the empire, with Thorgrim Grudgebearer forging BFF necklaces for him and Mannfred Von Carstein in the burned out remnants of Altdorf, and just sort of meandered about aimlessly, wondering what the gently caress was wrong with the world, before loving off back to the north. And then I won the game.

(okay, technically it was like 10 turns later after I sent a force to recolonize the north, but still, it was a better forged narrative than any of the bullshit in AoS)

gently caress yeah, I love how the Vampire AI especially is super happy to be bestest buddies with anyone who isn't on their 'direct expansion we need to complete objectives' shitlist. I also managed to get an alliance with one of the norscans for a hilariously long chunk of the game so that one of my borders just never had to deal with raids.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TKIY posted:

They just released an expansion, just new cards but the artwork is even better.

Fantastic party game.
We were actually using the expansion cards!

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
So I might actually be playing 40K Kill Team this wed because I am that goddamned desperate to play some games. Anyone have advice for making a good Eldar force? (Besides not playing. Don't worry I have found.. resources to at least try it without giving GW money. Even if I do kinda want Lost Patrol or that set with the Harlequins in it, the latter for 2nd ed 40K play.)

Like I am debating Rangers n Guardians, or doing something with Warp Spiders or Guardian Jetbikers or maybe Dire Avengers or even go stupid small with Wraithguard. I mean I could probably make like 5 different forces because if I am gonna drive an hour just to play SOMETHING I might as well get my time and gas money's worth!

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've had a very hard time playing as Beastmen, ever since the Wood Elves came out. They just hunt you relentlessly! In the end, i had to jump onto a narwhal and head for the Badlands.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I recently tried playing a new Empire grand campaign and found Green Chaos from the south much harder than Black Chaos from the north.

Turn ~20 I had multiple Green Chaos armies razing Reikland which was... surprising.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fighting off multiple doom stacks before establishing a firm footing and raising your own crusading armies is the main appeal of TW for me. In the older games, getting rid of underequipped divisions through futile charges was the second. 😈

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Captain Rufus posted:

So I might actually be playing 40K Kill Team this wed because I am that goddamned desperate to play some games. Anyone have advice for making a good Eldar force? (Besides not playing. Don't worry I have found.. resources to at least try it without giving GW money. Even if I do kinda want Lost Patrol or that set with the Harlequins in it, the latter for 2nd ed 40K play.)

Like I am debating Rangers n Guardians, or doing something with Warp Spiders or Guardian Jetbikers or maybe Dire Avengers or even go stupid small with Wraithguard. I mean I could probably make like 5 different forces because if I am gonna drive an hour just to play SOMETHING I might as well get my time and gas money's worth!

Actual Kill Team or HoR?

I don't know poo poo about either of them, it's just where this question always leads so I thought I'd save you some time.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Me and a friend of mine are playing a Co-op campaign, with him being Grimgor and commanding the Orcs and me being Wurrzag and commanding the Savage Orcs. We played on Very Hard and decided not to save-scum and the Orc start is very difficult. My friend lost Black Crag and at one point I ended up with just Ekrund but now we consolidated the southern badlands and are pushing north, destroying dwarven armies as we go. Would recommend Co-op campaigns if you can rope a friend in.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

The skarsnik/other dwarfguy campaigns are challengingly fun. Except when you forget where karak eight peaks is and you go in the wrong direction.

Going all the way to gunbad with 2x upkeep is painful as gently caress.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Ilor posted:

This is why it's better to end up a skeleton than a ghost. At least as a skeleton you can talk to people

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Thirsty Dog posted:

Actual Kill Team or HoR?

I don't know poo poo about either of them, it's just where this question always leads so I thought I'd save you some time.

Actual. I have done some research and Moola's classic video is right. Even 6e Eldar Dex is loving broken poo poo. They made Shuriken Cs complete evil. Like Gav Thorpe HAD to be a 2e Eldar player mad at nerfs. I mean Catapults alone are murderous!

A 200 point kill team could just be like 19 Guardians and a Scatter Laser and poo poo will just DIE. S4 Assault 2 AP5 6s to hit are AP2 WTF that is hilarious.

Bladestorm: Making post 2nd ed Eldar smug after 15 years of corn holing.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2017/02/warhammer-40k-8th-edition-will-change.html

i feel like he looked at this thread and thought it was insider information or something. then again if this turned out to be real it'd be even funnier.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DO IT TO IT posted:

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2017/02/warhammer-40k-8th-edition-will-change.html

i feel like he looked at this thread and thought it was insider information or something. then again if this turned out to be real it'd be even funnier.
I saw that and assumed a goon must have been the source. Which one of you was it?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Captain Rufus posted:

Actual. I have done some research and Moola's classic video is right. Even 6e Eldar Dex is loving broken poo poo. They made Shuriken Cs complete evil. Like Gav Thorpe HAD to be a 2e Eldar player mad at nerfs. I mean Catapults alone are murderous!

A 200 point kill team could just be like 19 Guardians and a Scatter Laser and poo poo will just DIE. S4 Assault 2 AP5 6s to hit are AP2 WTF that is hilarious.

Bladestorm: Making post 2nd ed Eldar smug after 15 years of corn holing.

i have vague terrible memories of shitloads of star cannons mowing down my black templars from 3 ed days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i have vague terrible memories of shitloads of star cannons mowing down my black templars from 3 ed days

The old Eldar bs required you to buy more poo poo as is GW's wont. The 6-7 books just make everything stupid awesome.

Kind of how SoBs could own face but only in a handful of builds creating the 40k equivalent of a Pkunk armada from Star Control 2, or Nids with similar BUY THIS MODEL OR DONT loving BOTHER TO PLAY ANYMORE.

And if you are a cheap poo poo like me you don't want to buy new stuff. Bad enough you need to drop 15, then 25, then 33, now 50-100 on new Codexes and then buy tons of more models.

Another reason they need to just loving start over. Go to D10s since we have a 1-10 stat line anyhow. Maybe combine armor and toughness, S and AP and cut a roll or two out, use the whole number value and rebuild the bloody game.

poo poo, just use the old SPACE CRUSADE red and white dice system and I'd be happy because I loved that game. Maybe make a black die for the super heavy poo poo and get poo poo done. gently caress, at this point Titan Legions Epic might as well just become 40k's ruleset.

• Locked thread