Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Shindragon posted:

I haven't tried other fields but are they just as bad at responding? LIke I've done QA for quite a bit (passion at this point) but one thing I never liked about the industry is how notriously SLOW they are at responding to applications. (like taking a month to six months to respond)

i dropped from the field for a few reasons but the three main ones being that unless I had a personal contact/referral in the company it was impossible get hired, two the hours were either "I can't pay rent wtf I need hours" or "How many days straight have I been here I'm paying rent for a place I never go to."

And three QA and tech support companies would respond to my resume months after I sent it in to the point where I was like "I have no idea who you people are."

I went back to making sandwiches/cooking, poo poo pay but better hours and when looking for jobs I got phone calls as quick as ten minutes after I applied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MinibarMatchman posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda literally comes out next month and there's almost zero hype for it, we know almost nothing about what it is, except you can date a cat alien thing in it and the combat has becomes a cross between Mass Effect 2 and Vanquish-Lite

Well then we do know something about the game, we know that it will own.

Seriously though I'm very excited because making the story "ME1 and 2 combined, again" works for me.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Wamdoodle posted:

Send in QA reports of how the interview went. Make them self conscious/show them how observant you are.

Yup, sent an email saying thanks for the interview and how can I improve more.

The frustrating part is I do have the experience but I"m horrible at selilng myself.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am comfortable saying that Andromeda probably isn't going to be good. I hope I'm wrong, because I think the idea of a game about exploring an unfamiliar galaxy to find a home for a diverse collection of species fleeing the potential destruction of their own galaxy is great. I want to have quests where I have to deal with the native species, find out how to make life better for turians and quarians, who need a very different environment from the other species, deal with new and unknown alien wildlife, all of that cool poo poo.

But I know they're going to gently caress up the story by focusing more on Ryder's dad and also ~*~ancient precursor ruins~*~ to the exclusion of the cool "explore the galaxy" stuff, and the almost total lack of gameplay we've seen so far makes me really worried that there's just nothing to show off. We know that, if BioWare has something they're proud of, they're not afraid to show it off (see: the tons and tons of prerelease gameplay footage from Dragon Age Inquisition), so why have we seen a grand total of five minutes of Andromeda gameplay even though it's coming out very, very soon?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Harrow posted:

I am comfortable saying that Andromeda probably isn't going to be good. I hope I'm wrong, because I think the idea of a game about exploring an unfamiliar galaxy to find a home for a diverse collection of species fleeing the potential destruction of their own galaxy is great. I want to have quests where I have to deal with the native species, find out how to make life better for turians and quarians, who need a very different environment from the other species, deal with new and unknown alien wildlife, all of that cool poo poo.

But I know they're going to gently caress up the story by focusing more on Ryder's dad and also ~*~ancient precursor ruins~*~ to the exclusion of the cool "explore the galaxy" stuff, and the almost total lack of gameplay we've seen so far makes me really worried that there's just nothing to show off. We know that, if BioWare has something they're proud of, they're not afraid to show it off (see: the tons and tons of prerelease gameplay footage from Dragon Age Inquisition), so why have we seen a grand total of five minutes of Andromeda gameplay even though it's coming out very, very soon?

i mean watchdog 2 turn out to be decent so i won't be shock if this turn out fine too, but i feel people are still burned by mass effect 3 being this huge hype event and it ended in a wet fart.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm going to play through me1 soon and see if it's good like i remember, or bad like me2. cons i can think of already: no s rank teammates (alien trio eh, ashley/carth 🙅)

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Harrow posted:

Okay, two things:

1. Knowing something about something doesn't mean you're focusing on it. For example, knowing how hate groups operate online is helpful in fighting them.

2. Try to remember context in your assessment of why this particular stunt got Pewdiepie fired and not the offensive jokes he made several years ago and has since stopped making in his usual videos. That very likely has more to do with why this particular stunt got him fired than which group he targeted. Unless you can find examples of Disney not firing people for offensive jokes about other groups or about rape, I think that reaching any further than "Disney cares more about what he does now, while he represents them, than what he did a few years before they hired him" is tough to do.

Well thanks for reading Stormfront so I never have to, I guess.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Personally I don't really care about ME:Andromeda because ME was already a trilogy that ended. "Well it's about another part of the ME universe" is sort of like having a Star Wars movie with no ties to any of the central Star Wars characters.

I'll probably still play it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Man, you don't even gotta read Stormfront anymore. It's all on Twitter. That poo poo's inescapable anymore unless you swear off social media (which, to be fair, would probably be a good idea for a lot of people, myself included).

suuma posted:

Personally I don't really care about ME:Andromeda because ME was already a trilogy that ended. "Well it's about another part of the ME universe" is sort of like having a Star Wars movie with no ties to any of the central Star Wars characters.

I'll probably still play it.

I do think this is about the best setup they could possibly have for another Mass Effect game. It lets them ignore the galaxy-changing ending choices from ME3 but still continue on without having to resort to prequels. That part, at least, is really smart. And if they can deliver on the promise of the story's premise, I'll be thrilled. I'm just incredibly skeptical.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I was under the impression ME:A was more a small-feel story where you actually did help other aliens out and help colonize poo poo but if it veers into "CHOSEN ONE" bullshit and LEGACY OF YOUR DAD crap it'll be a big disappointment. I hated DA Inquisition for that reason and generally have become tired of the "YOU ARE THE ONE" formula. Witcher 3 was kind of a nice change of pace because you weren't the sacred cow, Ciri was; you're just a hunter with too many years on you and a purse that needs filling with gruntwork.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Harrow posted:

Man, you don't even gotta read Stormfront anymore. It's all on Twitter. That poo poo's inescapable anymore unless you swear off social media (which, to be fair, would probably be a good idea for a lot of people, myself included).

I gave up on Twitter shortly before the election and have never signed up for Facebook ever amidst relentless pressure to do so

I feel I'm a better person for this

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MinibarMatchman posted:

I was under the impression ME:A was more a small-feel story where you actually did help other aliens out and help colonize poo poo but if it veers into "CHOSEN ONE" bullshit and LEGACY OF YOUR DAD crap it'll be a big disappointment. I hated DA Inquisition for that reason and generally have become tired of the "YOU ARE THE ONE" formula. Witcher 3 was kind of a nice change of pace because you weren't the sacred cow, Ciri was; you're just a hunter with too many years on you and a purse that needs filling with gruntwork.

I appreciate that The Witcher 3 has several situations where you come in after the action has transpired to leave you asking "what happened here", sometimes with an associated quest. The entire world doesn't just stop and wait for you to arrive before things happen a la Fallout 3, New Vegas, and most recently 4.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

I do think this is about the best setup they could possibly have for another Mass Effect game. It lets them ignore the galaxy-changing ending choices from ME3 but still continue on without having to resort to prequels. That part, at least, is really smart. And if they can deliver on the promise of the story's premise, I'll be thrilled. I'm just incredibly skeptical.

Social media is pure cancer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah, the small-scale story thing is exactly what I hope Andromeda is. If the "legacy of your dad" and "mysterious ruins" parts are just plot threads in an overall story about trying to establish a colony in this galaxy then I'll be really happy, but that's the kind of stuff that really threatens to take over the whole plot.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I keep misreading Andromeda as Automata and wondering why people are hating on Nier.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Automata is a dream come true

Andromeda is a EA game

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Harrow posted:

I have only ever had a LinkedIn account, plz send me a friend request.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lumpy the Cook posted:

you genuinely suck and are willfully ignorant, please shut up and stop making a mess of this thread.

edit: so there's some content, RichaadEB just uploaded this nice cover of E1M1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZG1eqPEYbY&hd=1

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I just follow people I like speaking with and game dev/localization staff, dunno what you guys are getting into.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I appreciate that The Witcher 3 has several situations where you come in after the action has transpired to leave you asking "what happened here", sometimes with an associated quest. The entire world doesn't just stop and wait for you to arrive before things happen a la Fallout 3, New Vegas, and most recently 4.

Cool moment in New Vegas was finding that town that the legion burned, then piecing together what happened along with meeting the legion dudes for the first time.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lumpy the Cook posted:

What makes 'jokes' about black and Hispanic people... acceptable
It's not, full stop.

However, large amounts of potential money can get businesses to look past many things until a large vocal outrage happens. This is not new.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

That's exactly what you were looking for with your troll bait, don't pretend otherwise.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Motto posted:

I just follow people I like speaking with and game dev/localization staff, dunno what you guys are getting into.

Hey, now I know that three "(" means Jew if you're a Nazi and/or mentally ill.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

you genuinely suck and are willfully ignorant, please shut up and stop making a mess of this thread.

edit: so there's some content, RichaadEB just uploaded this nice cover of E1M1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZG1eqPEYbY&hd=1

:confused:

CrashCat posted:

It's not, full stop.

However, large amounts of potential money can get businesses to look past many things until a large vocal outrage happens. This is not new.

That's exactly what you were looking for with your troll bait, don't pretend otherwise.

What's 'exactly what I was looking for'? Naziposting tips? Because that's apparently all you guys seem willing to give.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

plz dont pull out posted:

Cool moment in New Vegas was finding that town that the legion burned, then piecing together what happened along with meeting the legion dudes for the first time.

It is neat, but I feel like they went about it in the wrong order. You meet the legion guys first thing, then you go into the town hall to find out what happened. imo it would've been better to have them waiting outside after you investigated, so you hear about how lovely and scary they are and you get some time to say "boy I hope I don't meet those guys" before you immediately do.

The plot of New Vegas always has bothered me some because I don't understand why any of the major factions need you. The NCR doesn't need you because they're a literal army that is presently tied up by bureaucracy (which you don't have to even resolve). Caesar's Legion doesn't need you because they already have spies able to infiltrate even the most closely watched and guarded places in the whole wasteland. House doesn't need you because you don't have the platinum chip anyway- and while Benny does have it, he was working on a way to get under House's guard anyway that immediately works when you try it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 14, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't believe the ZOG tipped their hand so easily

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

What's 'exactly what I was looking for'? Naziposting tips? Because that's apparently all you guys seem willing to give.

You're ignoring lots of arguments as to why Pewdiepie is being punished for this and not for his earlier offensive jokes so it's not our fault you think we're only here to tell you how to post like a Nazi.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually think that Andromeda is getting a low-key launch because megahype made Dragon Age 2 the funniest game release of all time and then it went ahead and turned out to be about $20 worth of a weird side-story that made them drop their naming scheme entirely out of embarrassment.

The hype for Inquisition wasn't nearly as bombastic in tone ("awesome button", "bloodier, sexier") and really was not as big in sheer presence either. They made a decent game to redeem the series and appeared to try and let that largely speak for itself.

So I think they're trying something similar with Andromeda. Basically, either:

1. Andromeda is really, really fuckin' good, and they know that, so they're going easy on the hype in order to recapture that sense of awe that players of ME1 and especially ME2 felt. So, in other words, they're Force Awakening it, which is apt since ME really is the Star Wars of video games. The sheer broad appeal of the games is sometimes easy to ignore when faced with literally dozens of Kotaku articles about how bad the ending of ME3 was, but you gotta remember Joe Default Shepard Soldier Player the Filthy Casual is where they make their money, they do not make nearly as much off of Jim'myy the Tali Sweat Analyzer because there actually are not that many of those people, they just make a lot of noise on the Internet.

2. Andromeda is really, really fuckin' mediocre with an insanely fun multiplayer that's worth $60 all by itself.

I'm cool with either one happening.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

It is neat, but I feel like they went about it in the wrong order. You meet the legion guys first thing, then you go into the town hall to find out what happened. imo it would've been better to have them waiting outside after you investigated, so you hear about how lovely and scary they are and you get some time to say "boy I hope I don't meet those guys" before you immediately do.

The plot of New Vegas always has bothered me some because I don't understand why any of the major factions need you. The NCR doesn't need you because they're a literal army that is presently tied up by bureaucracy (which you don't have to even resolve). Caesar's Legion doesn't need you because they already have spies able to infiltrate even the most closely watched and guarded places in the whole wasteland. House doesn't need you because you don't have the platinum chip anyway- and while Benny does have it, he was working on a way to get under House's guard anyway that immediately works when you try it.

I always felt like the factions wanted you because you had (or at least, they thought you had) the chip, and therefore access to House and everything that comes with.

As the game stands the NCR/Legion stuff isn't nearly as fleshed out as House, and Independent just works, so those are the only two endings I ever played for.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

You're ignoring lots of arguments as to why Pewdiepie is being punished for this and not for his earlier offensive jokes so it's not our fault you think we're only here to tell you how to post like a Nazi.

Not my fault you refuse to argue in good faith.

'Easier to screencap'? Get the gently caress outta here lol.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What's likelier is that the game blows and they're banking on making most of their money from preorders and week one purchases based on the Mass Effect branding

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lumpy the Cook posted:

we could hardly give you any further assistance at this point

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Not my fault you refuse to argue in good faith.

'Easier to screencap'? Get the gently caress outta here lol.

I didn't make that argument. Here's mine:

Harrow posted:

He did get called out on the racist and rape jokes earlier and stopped using them as of two or three years ago, as far as I'm aware (I don't watch his videos, so I'm going entirely by what I've heard). He even put out a video a year or so ago apologizing for having gotten his start doing hurtful jokes and claiming to have grown. They were also before he had big partnerships and sponsorships, and before YouTube was taking such a big interest in working with him personally beyond just hosting his videos, so there was nobody other than his audience (and advertisers, to be fair) to drop him in the first place.

That, and this stunt carried it out into the real world, so I think the average person has an easier time seeing its severity. He also paid the guys to make that sign, so he was involved personally.

That's not to say that he wasn't lovely as hell for the rape jokes and racist jokes, but he hasn't done those lately, and definitely not since securing contracts with companies like Disney who'll rightly drop him for stuff like that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

What's likelier is that the game blows and they're banking on making most of their money from preorders and week one purchases based on the Mass Effect branding

I'm not saying that's impossible, but if that was the case they would be doing the Dragon Age 2 Dance all over again because if it really is that bad, they know sales will drop like a rock and they should be generating tons of hype to get those day one sales.

Like I know it's cool to dog on Bioware, EA, Ubisoft, literally every game publisher, but just in recent memory we had Watch_Dogs 2 turn out to be fantastic, DA: Inquisition was absolutely fine and for some people who really like offline MMO style gameplay it was actually rather amazing in its scope - it's one of the largest RPGs this side of Witcher 3 or Skyrim, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that people who make games, by and large, are aware if they have made something good or something bad. If Andromeda is bad, they have nothing to gain and much to lose by not hyping it. If it were bad, I think they would delay it some more because everyone is already stunned that it's coming out so soon anyway.

If Andromeda is good - and especially the multiplayer part, which is where they're planning on making most of their money - then it makes sense to underhype it because, again, they know that part of what made people love ME1 and especially ME2 was how surprising those games were, for the time, both in quality and technical razzmatazz

goddamn I type a lot on my days off *bong rip*

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"good faith" seems like a stretch after ME3. the trailer at last E3 was pretty funny with the main character pointing a gun, going crosseyed, then the big bad lady having the gun taken away and everyone just walks away sullenly lol.

Much like Horizon: Zero Dawn, I'm pretty shaky about buying either game. Stuff like RE7, Yakuza 0, and Nioh had consistent demos, betas, dev notes, and previews (or came out already in Nippon.) Horizon Zero Dawn gives me flashbacks of another PS4 exclusive, The Order, that had little to no news on its goingons forever and flopped big.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

suuma posted:

I always felt like the factions wanted you because you had (or at least, they thought you had) the chip, and therefore access to House and everything that comes with.

As the game stands the NCR/Legion stuff isn't nearly as fleshed out as House, and Independent just works, so those are the only two endings I ever played for.

I guess so, once you get your hands on the chip you pretty much become the literal bargaining chip between the factions. What with the whole "go visit this faction and tell them to either hang with us or gently caress off" section of the game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MinibarMatchman posted:

"good faith" seems like a stretch after ME3.

I can assure you that the breakdown of people's opinions about ME3 goes something like this:

75% "gently caress yeah the combat was so much better, I don't remember if I finished it though"
20% "That ending was dumb, who cares I'm gonna solo Hydra/Platinum with a Drell Adept"
4% "Worst. Ending. Ever. But I dunno, the Extended Version made it not as bad."
1% "I am literally not going to buy Andromeda purely because of the final hour of a 100 hour trilogy."

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lumpy the Cook posted:

You were looking to bait someone into defending something terrible, and when the circumstances were explained reasonably but you pressed onward that became obvious. As it was by ignoring the part of my post you quoted that explained it yet again. It's fun for you I'm sure but if you gave a poo poo you'd use that energy to crack down on someone actually doing harm instead of a bunch of largely harmless people who just want to chat about video games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

"good faith" seems like a stretch after ME3. the trailer at last E3 was pretty funny with the main character pointing a gun, going crosseyed, then the big bad lady having the gun taken away and everyone just walks away sullenly lol.

Much like Horizon: Zero Dawn, I'm pretty shaky about buying either game. Stuff like RE7, Yakuza 0, and Nioh had consistent demos, betas, dev notes, and previews (or came out already in Nippon.) Horizon Zero Dawn gives me flashbacks of another PS4 exclusive, The Order, that had little to no news on its goingons forever and flopped big.

Yeah. Western games suck

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In Training posted:

Yeah. Western games suck

2017 is truly the year of America's decline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey, we have tons of American games to look forward to. Why this month alone we're getting Super Robot Wars and then there's Persona 5 and Zelda and Nier Automata...

• Locked thread