Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

If you honestly enjoyed Dragon Age 2 there's no hope left for you.

I did! Smaller story, mages less broken, good voice talent. If Andromeda is Mass Effect's DA2 with less repetitive environments, I'd be content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
What the gently caress is wrong with you people. Were you 7 when you played dragon age 2?

Serf
May 5, 2011

What the gently caress is wrong with you people. Were you 7 when you played dragon age 2?

You may want to sit down before you read this, as it could come as a shock to you. But different people are capable of having different opinions.

I know, I know. Tough to understand at first.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Happy Valentine's Day, from EA

Before Mass Effect I would have thought this was cute. The internet ruined that.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Good things about DA2:
Rivalry system
Faster combat
Smaller more focused story
Sarcastic Hawke
Varric and Aveline
The Arishok

Bad things about DA2:
Stupid rear end encounter design
3 maps
The third act making GBS threads itself

It's not perfect by any means but it's not the worst game ever made by a long shot.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

When I was 7, I played a game called Space Invaders. It was also fun, but would also have benefited from less repetitive environments.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
DA2 is trash, y'all are insane. Merrill was terrible, Anders was terrible, Fenris was terrible, the last third of that game was a steaming pile of poo poo and the world design was probably the laziest I've seen in a modern AAA game.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I love the third act of DA2 because that's where it truly becomes batshit insane.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Serf posted:

I love the third act of DA2 because that's where it truly becomes poo poo

Hey, you finally said a real opinion.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hey, you finally said a real opinion.

You've learned the word "opinion" so that's a kind of progress. Keep at it!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Who can honestly hate the ending to ME3 in 2017, it's one of the most spectacular and interesting failures in video game narratives ever. How boring and forgettable it would be if everything just ended on some predictably boring note, much like how everybody will soon forget about Mass Effect: Andromeda, confirmed to have crafting and things you can gently caress.

I didn't play ME3 when it came out, only later when the whole trilogy was bundled together, and I didn't hate the ending. I knew going in that it was "TERRIBLE!!!" but I was more disappointed and bewildered than angry. And it's not like it invalidated or erased the actual gameplay of the three games. The series was pretty drat fun and that's what I care about. Game endings are pretty inconsequential to me. Literally, since by definition I won't be playing it past that point.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Dude, it's okay to like bad games. The problem comes when you like a bad game but refuse to understand that it's a fundamentally bad loving game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Dude, it's okay to like bad games. The problem comes when you like a bad game but refuse to understand that it's a fundamentally bad loving game.

Which is it, talking cyber skull who doesn't understand that "others" have "opinions"? I bet you don't even have hands and can't play these games.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

homullus posted:

Which is it

a bad game

Serf
May 5, 2011

In your opinion. You can get this, I know you can. I've got complete confidence in you!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

marshmallow creep posted:

Happy Valentine's Day, from EA

So BroRyder is not unusually short after all.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Was Dragon Age 2 the first time you could have yourself a hot man-on-man romance in an AAA video game? I fee like there was some controversy around ME1 having a lesbian romance in it, but I don't remember if you can also get with Kaidan or whatever his name was.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Was Dragon Age 2 the first time you could have yourself a hot man-on-man romance in an AAA video game? I fee like there was some controversy around ME1 having a lesbian romance in it, but I don't remember if you can also get with Kaidan or whatever his name was.

Zevran in Origins. Kaidan wasn't an option for man shep until ME3. I think he was an option in ME1 that was cut at the last second.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Hmm, this bioluminescence... and m'flaps...

This game is the real Avatar 2

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Depends, was Bioware's own Jade Empire an AAA game? It had a male same sex romance, and came out before Mass Effect 1 or Dragon Age: Origins.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

AngryBooch posted:

Zevran in Origins. Kaidan wasn't an option for man shep until ME3. I think he was an option in ME1 that was cut at the last second.

Ashley was originally bi too, apparently the files are still in the game. She remains straight as hell in ME3, unfortunately for the three people that liked her.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Awwwww...

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

AngryBooch posted:

So was Ash for FemShep. IIRC somebody went into the audio files and found dialogue recorded for it.

e: Goddamnit. Actually I think you can see the romance still if you start as MaleShep and then use the console to change your gender.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 14, 2017

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Aside from DA:O and Jade Empire which were already brought up, Fallout 2 and Persona 2 had gay male romance options like 10 years+ prior to DA2.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My headcanon is that Ashley and Kaidan kissed just as the eezo core went off, vaporizing both of them.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Firebert posted:

Aside from DA:O and Jade Empire which were already brought up, Fallout 2 and Persona 2 had gay male romance options like 10 years+ prior to DA2.

True, and thanks for the responses everyone! I fondly remember romancing Anders and causing fantasy September 11th...

And a big thank you for bringing up Jade Empire! I need to replay it, especially now that I am an old married goon. Henpecked Hou strikes close to home now...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Torrannor posted:

So BroRyder is not unusually short after all.

No, Cora is even shorter than he is. hosed up, I know.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone else starting to lose excitement and gain a feeling that this game is going to suck?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Looking forward to playing as Old Snake Shepard.

Hedrigall posted:

Hmm, this bioluminescence... and m'flaps...

This game is the real Avatar 2

Actually, Kabam is developing that.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Anyone else starting to lose excitement and gain a feeling that this game is going to suck?

Not me, but then again there hasn't been much shown

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Reclaimer posted:

Ashley was originally bi too, apparently the files are still in the game. She remains straight as hell in ME3, unfortunately for the three people that liked her.

Devs have actually gone on the record about that. It wasn't planned bi romancing, just the way dialog was flagged everything worked out much smoother if Hale and Meer both read everything.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Waltzing Along posted:

Nope, getting more excited by the week :3:

Ah good, this will be good therapy for those people who felt suicidal back in '09 because they couldn't live on Pandora.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
(Although actual therapy would be better therapy)

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Actually, I am kind of looking forward the last two Andromeda Initiative Briefings.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

I enjoyed it quite a bit despite the huge and glaring mistakes made.

I haven't replayed it though. It was good for one play through to me. I guess I could try to go back and flip the friendship/rivalry thing but, eh.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

Nah I'm actually looking forward to it. I mean it's basically Bioware's last chance at proving they can put the fuckup mess that the ME trilogy was behind and try something better/new. Let's see if they actually learned from much better games like Witcher 3 like they said so

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
on the one hand Mac "lots of speculation for everyone!" Walters, on the other hand all they really need to do is not actively gently caress anything up and not have a worse multiplayer than ME3 (and i mean ME3MP was extremely my poo poo for a couple of years), maybe introduce a couple of interesting quirks here and there and it'll be a nice reliable cash-in on the franchise.

I'll play through the original trilogy again. With my work schedule being what it is I'll probably wrap that up a couple of months after Andromeda comes out, more than enough time to get the gooncensus on whether it's actually good or not.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

As long as the multiplayer is an updated version of me3 I will be satisfied even if they somehow make the single player campaign ending worse then me3

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Apparently this asari is the ship's doctor, "Lexi."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

So, I guess we're retconning the whole "no genetic material from fathers" again. But where could she even get hair from? None of the ME aliens have hair. Maybe Quarians? I guess she's our Quarian squadmate too, then?