Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

McLaren Honda has always sounded completely sick to me. As in 'man that engine sounds like it is about to explode' instead of the wicked cool sick.

It sounds like someone farting while sitting on carpet. Like an awesome fart, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Looks like Renault released one too.

https://twitter.com/RenaultSportF1/status/831551475750989824

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

I never loved the new sound, but it was acceptable and fine while watching the racing. These audio clips though, they're really just terrible white noise generators without any semblance of soul and it actually does make you miss the V8s, V10s or older... So incredibly unnecessary.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

geonetix posted:

I never loved the new sound, but it was acceptable and fine while watching the racing. These audio clips though, they're really just terrible white noise generators without any semblance of soul and it actually does make you miss the V8s, V10s or older... So incredibly unnecessary.

:jerkbag:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Engines don't have souls

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

geonetix posted:

You realise they are running cold at like 1.5-3k rpm and the sound you're hearing has zero correlation to what they'll sound like on the track right?

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Well the Renault one was pushing the accelerator at least a little.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

gret posted:

Well Nico's career ended so he's not wrong.

I would pay money to see Bottas end his career in the exact same way next year.

wicka posted:

Seems like overkill to be hurling these threats at Bottas, of all people.

Welcome to the team, Valteri NOW GET READY TO BE CRUSHED BY MY SON WHO WILL CRUSH YOU BECAUSE MY SON WILL CRUSH YOU IF YOU AREN'T CAREFUL."

:stare:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The problem is air. Ban air.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Holy hell why is MotoGP's streaming so loving expensive?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

learnincurve posted:

Oh no no no no my sweet summer child. Real Commitment to a sport is continuing to watch it after a Damon Hill Championship, or not walking away after Rubens is ordered to move over for Michael for the 30th time. Watching Lewis melt down and a genuinely exiting last race of the season is actually quite the treat when you look at the quality of F1 over the years as a whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93igduisgzY

Heading off to Pizza Hut for hundreds of quids' worth of pizza, do you guys want anything?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

geonetix posted:

Are we doing engine sound again?

Looks like we're doing engine sound again!

Seriously though, best sound race engines are the low revving V8s in the Corvettes. :colbert: F1 and Indy engines are way too whiny for my tastes.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Tsaedje posted:

Engines don't have souls

My BMW's V8 has a soul and it's the soul of a loving malcontent arsehole that I cannot help but love.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

iospace posted:

Are we doing engine sound again?

Looks like we're doing engine sound again!

Seriously though, best sound race engines are the low revving V8s in the Corvettes. :colbert: F1 and Indy engines are way too whiny for my tastes.

That's not about rev range, it's about crankshaft design. Flat plane crank engines give better balance and are better suited to race car applications.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Theophany posted:

That's not about rev range, it's about crankshaft design. Flat plane crank engines give better balance and are better suited to race car applications.

I'm aware. But there's something to be said about the low rumble of a low revving V8 as it goes by.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iospace posted:

I'm aware. But there's something to be said about the low rumble of a low revving V8 as it goes by.

Imagine literally not citing a wankel engine as the best exhaust sound in a race car.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

FWIW, it's very, very good. I'm gonna try to shell out for it this year if I can.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm considering especially since I'm probably going to cut Le Mans this year but Jesus loving Christ I seriously just got an email from MLB and it's $80 less.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite sound is the CART 2.65L single turbo V8s.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

How much is MotoGP for a season?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
140 Euros for the entire season.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

How much is MotoGP for a season?

It's like $200 Canadian. It's mildly annoying because I'll probably get more viewing time out of spring training on the MLB app alone than I will the whole season of MotoGP if I buy it.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Theophany posted:

My BMW's V8 has a soul and it's the soul of a loving malcontent arsehole that I cannot help but love.

My Audi's 2.0T I4 sounds like poo poo, even with an aftermarket catback. My other Audi's 2.7T V6 sounds pretty tits on the other hand, and is probably just as much of a malcontent arsehole as your V8.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My 1.8L I4 sounds nice and loud. And like poo poo, because my midpipe got rusted out because it's a 10 year old car that's lived its entire life in Wisconsin.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

1500quidporsche posted:

Cause MotoGP is an actual sport

iospace posted:

The best sounding cars at Le Mans every year are the Vettes

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

keevo posted:

140 Euros for the entire season.

Cheapest you can get the F1 for is £288/339 euros for the race weekend and then repeats of a couple of old races VS being able to choose from all those camera angles and the entire back catalogue, so it's a bargain really.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The best sounding cars at Le Mans every year are the Vettes

They all sound good at LeMans
:colbert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8JR7Wi2MEU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm watching the 1970 season review.

Spa 1970.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

learnincurve posted:

I'm watching the 1970 season review.

Spa 1970.

Is that still on the mega long Spa circuit which F1 cars would disappear into a Belgian village and reappear with chickens resting on the rear wing?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm considering especially since I'm probably going to cut Le Mans this year but Jesus loving Christ I seriously just got an email from MLB and it's $80 less.

The yank sports really have streaming sorted out. NBA has 82 games per team (30 teams) per season. You can watch them ALL on league pass! Thats a couple of thousand games! The baseball season has 162 games for each team so that must be insane amounts of content. F1 hasn't even offered up anything for maybe 100 events if you include practice and quali for each race. It would be so easy from a technical standpoint. Obviously much harder from a commercial rights one.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

You Am I posted:

Is that still on the mega long Spa circuit which F1 cars would disappear into a Belgian village and reappear with chickens resting on the rear wing?

No it was nerfed by then. This was the worst one that year with hay bails and special on track rocks:

"Formula One then went to the 5.1 mile Charade circuit, made up entirely of closed-off public roads located around an extinct volcano overlooking the small city of Clermont-Ferrand. Practice and qualifying were both eventful – in addition to Ferrari showing improved form by Jacky Ickx taking pole, the circuit was littered with rocks and Rindt – already made nauseous by the twisty and roller-coaster-type nature of the circuit – was hit in the face by a rock thrown from another car – in those days, drivers wore open-face helmets covered by a white rag to protect them from the gas fumes. Ickx took the lead from the start, but he retired with engine damage, and Frenchman Beltoise – driving an all-French Matra – was in the lead. However, due to the rocks on the track, Beltoise punctured a tire, and had to come in. This gave Rindt the lead, ahead of Chris Amon. Rindt won from Amon and Brabham."

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

The yank sports really have streaming sorted out. NBA has 82 games per team (30 teams) per season. You can watch them ALL on league pass! Thats a couple of thousand games! The baseball season has 162 games for each team so that must be insane amounts of content. F1 hasn't even offered up anything for maybe 100 events if you include practice and quali for each race. It would be so easy from a technical standpoint. Obviously much harder from a commercial rights one.

All of this poo poo is blacked out in various ways. NBA League Pass, MLB.tv, and MLS Live all block whatever they determine to be your local team. MLS Live also blocks all national broadcasts, which includes "national" broadcasts on bizarre Spanish-speaking channels. NFL has no streaming-only service in the US, but their Red Zone stream is insanely high quality if you've got someone's cable login credentials.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Yeh I know the US has some funny blackout rules, but they haven't affected me in Australia. Then again I mainly only fire it up for the NBA playoffs.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No wait, comedy track in 1970 was Watkins Glen. This was old Watkins Glen which for some reason had all the water draining into the pits and no actual drains so they had a pit lane under an inch of standing water and a bone dry track with cars spinning on it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

Yeh I know the US has some funny blackout rules, but they haven't affected me in Australia. Then again I mainly only fire it up for the NBA playoffs.

I am genuinely surprised they don't designate Australia as a secondary market for some West Coast team.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Charade circuit.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

All of Canada is a secondary market for the Blue Jays and the team actively told MLB to gently caress off and not black out the games so it isn't. "Shockingly" there's been a huge groundswell of support for the Jays among young people in recent years.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I used my old UK address to buy NHL GameCenter Live, which would black out 2-3 random games per week. This was great until the playoffs and the whole scheme fell apart as they showed them all on some obscure UK channel.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

All of Canada is a secondary market for the Blue Jays and the team actively told MLB to gently caress off and not black out the games so it isn't. "Shockingly" there's been a huge groundswell of support for the Jays among young people in recent years.

A lot of that was plan old bandwagon jumping. A couple of crappy seasons and all the Blue Jays caps will disappear again here in Vancouver :).
Similarly, there's been a disturbing outbreak of Oilers jerseys this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I grew up in Indiana and never watched or cared about the Indy 500 until four years ago (when I moved away) because it's blacked out in the Indianapolis region. Blackouts are utterly moronic.

• Locked thread