Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there something that causes revenants to activate without pressing the button? I did the sub mission in the caves (with the guitar playing zombies) and as I was fighting that big group at the end a couple of them popped up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Guitar man is the culprit.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there something that causes revenants to activate without pressing the button? I did the sub mission in the caves (with the guitar playing zombies) and as I was fighting that big group at the end a couple of them popped up.

The lute dude is summoning them. They aren't regular revenants like you would summon, their ki works like demon ki.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

The lute players summon them.

actually it's the lutes that summon them. Because they are yokai.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Unfortunately there don't appear to be any straw hats in this game and that makes me sad.

At least you can wear a Kodama bowl on your head

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

If you look at the mandolin dudes in the bestiary you'll find out that the actual monster is the mandolin and the guy is just an avatar being controlled by it, but did you know that they have teeth? I didn't and now I'm creeped out!

Quoting for relevance. I noticed the mini arms when I was playing. Didn't think to shoot them ever because they are so weak and inactive its faster to combo them.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

I meant to sell all my poop gear to Tome, instead I sold everything that wasn't locked to Tome and then did a mission before I realized. RIP crafting and consumables :tif:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
After the first time you encounter them, I have yet to see one you actually can shoot early. Usually they are out of line of sight till you kill a couple revenants.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kobogartimer posted:

I meant to sell all my poop gear to Tome, instead I sold everything that wasn't locked to Tome and then did a mission before I realized. RIP crafting and consumables :tif:

Dude.

You know there's a tab for only weapons and armor?

That's so sad.

Did you at least get a lot of money?

I don't sell much, I just disassemble. Still, I am sitting on like 600k gold.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Is there a tab for everything including crafting? I guess I haven't sold much. Just offered and disassembled.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

Is there a tab for everything including crafting? I guess I haven't sold much. Just offered and disassembled.

I'm not sure. Possibly. I don't sell much either.

It seems like there would be. Some people might sell mats.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah the tab on the end is everything. I got 700k.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Allow me to barrage you, thread, with many questions:

Paramount, is this: I love loot. However, I kinda feel like I'm drowning in it a bit. I pick it up and look at it later. (Classic Diablo behavior!)

Is there a method to the madness? Good way to determine what to keep, what to break down, what to offer?

Much like Dark Souls, when I get items, I just hoard them. I don't use them. Any I should be using on the regular?

When do I get to join a clan or whatever? I have the option to leave Region 1 but I am playing Submissions and stuff...

I think that's all for now... :)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I probably would make that mistake too, because that tab doesn't exist in the disassembly menu.

edit: ^ well, there are like 5 different sorting options. I generally look at what's new, what's purple, and what's the best "ability". any of those that stand out as upgrades I'll lock and decide later what I want to equip. I do this for weapons and each category of armor. Then I go to the blacksmith and go to the tab that's everyone and just dissasemble all. Then I go to forge -> tools -> mats and work down the list converting into purple mats.

I'm to the point now though there I just disassemble everything that's not purple without even looking at it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 14, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feenix posted:

Allow me to barrage you, thread, with many questions:

Paramount, is this: I love loot. However, I kinda feel like I'm drowning in it a bit. I pick it up and look at it later. (Classic Diablo behavior!)

Is there a method to the madness? Good way to determine what to keep, what to break down, what to offer?

Much like Dark Souls, when I get items, I just hoard them. I don't use them. Any I should be using on the regular?

When do I get to join a clan or whatever? I have the option to leave Region 1 but I am playing Submissions and stuff...

I think that's all for now... :)

1. Picking up loot and looking at it later is a good idea. Early on, just equipping stuff with higher defense and attack is good. Eventually you'll start finding sets with set bonuses, or comparing special effects on things to decide if you like things like extra Life or Ki or bonus damage when attacking an enemy from behind, that kind of thing. You do need to increase certain stats to unlock the special abilities on armor, too: Body/Skill for light armor, Body/Strength for medium armor, and Strength/Stamina for heavy armor.

2. Disassemble things when you think you might want crafting materials or coins. Selling the crafting mats will get you more money than selling the assembled item. Keep things that have useful abilities. I haven't offered things at the shrine very much, but I probably should, because I am swimming in money and crafting mats right now and could use some amrita. Like Snak, I basically disassemble anything that isn't purple unless it's a big leap above something I'm wearing.

3. You'll unlock the ability to join a clan in the second or third region, I forget. You can always go back to previous regions, so if you move on from the first, you can go back to finish sub-missions later if you left any unfinished.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, refashioning means that you should never avoid gear because it's ugly. I know that I can refashion and it's still hard to get into the mindset that I should wear clothes that look dumb when I'm looking at them.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Is it possible to refashion purples?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Emron posted:

Is it possible to refashion purples?

You can refashion everything, and it's really cheap too.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Don't forget about offering stuff in shrines. If you ever need a quick jolt to your number of elixirs or want to get hamaya arrows, offer up some gear.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

InfinityComplex posted:

Don't forget about offering stuff in shrines. If you ever need a quick jolt to your number of elixirs or want to get hamaya arrows, offer up some gear.

You can also get a shitload of souls by offering piles of just yellows and whites.

Also holy poo poo is NG+ loving hard. I haven't been able to get anywhere and that's probably compounded by the fact I just respecced to try a completely new build. Ugh dammit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Also holy poo poo is NG+ loving hard. I haven't been able to get anywhere and that's probably compounded by the fact I just respecced to try a completely new build. Ugh dammit.

Apparently there's a nice trick to farm up some divine gear early on to help you get a boost: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/5u0xo5/try_this_mission_for_farming_max_rarity_gear/

Basically, do A Request from Ginchiyo on NG+ difficulty and let her kill revenants for you. I haven't gotten to NG+ yet but the post says it's available right from the start, so if you want to cheese the loot curve a bit, that's one way to do it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
NG+ is pretty difficult until you start getting divine gear with +s

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
I was surprised to learn that some attack hitboxes in this game are tight enough to the point where you can avoid them with certain moves.

For example, doing the kusari L1+light breakdance move makes you virtually immune to tengu attacks, because they just don't swing low enough to the ground to hit you. Certainly seemed that way, at any rate.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
BAck to my "Should I use items or hoard them?" question... do I want to save or use this Kodama bowl? Whatsit do?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Feenix posted:

BAck to my "Should I use items or hoard them?" question... do I want to save or use this Kodama bowl? Whatsit do?

Well the bowl is a helmet. Don't hoard anything because once you pick it up you can transmog anything into it later, you don't need to hoard it. If it's a cup that's an endgame thing.

Speaking of which, I have no idea where I got kodama cups from for NG+.

Harrow posted:

Apparently there's a nice trick to farm up some divine gear early on to help you get a boost: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/5u0xo5/try_this_mission_for_farming_max_rarity_gear/

Basically, do A Request from Ginchiyo on NG+ difficulty and let her kill revenants for you. I haven't gotten to NG+ yet but the post says it's available right from the start, so if you want to cheese the loot curve a bit, that's one way to do it.

Haha that's the one I bounced out of. I just respecced and kinda hosed up because I'm getting one shot by some things with light armor and I barely know how to use the Kusarigama.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Finally got around Water World and removed the adds off UmiBozu and had like one more fire mask worth of damage left and I rolled into the ocean

E: did it again

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 14, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Finally got around Water World and removed the adds off UmiBozu and had like one more fire mask worth of damage left and I rolled into the ocean

E: did it again

There's a sub-mission there where you have to fight some yokai on that platform and I kept rolling into the ocean over and over and got so mad.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Nioh: do good going blind into a boss twice then die 30 times or

My highest is Nue with 50

e: GODDAMNIT

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 14, 2017

Fat Aggression
Aug 18, 2006

verbal enema posted:

Basically... :darksouls:

(speaking of which we need a Nioh version of this emote with the pirate cat spirit).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Umi down

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Stove mask owns that thing is wicked

Good thing I had 8
Down to 1

E:just noticed that around your stance icons if you have a element active on your weapon it has a slider that tells you how much longer it will last niceeee

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 14, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

How the hell do I get blacksmith patronage points? I'm on region 5 and have earned a grand total of 1. I'm using the smith plenty, so I'm not sure what else there is for me to do there.

It's pretty funny how all of the weeaboo jokes about William ended up being so spot on. He becomes a peerless weaponsmaster by reading an issue of Shonen Jump on his boat ride to glorious Zipangu. When he gets there he trains under Hattori Hanzo and is immediately made a samurai and accepted into the highest levels of society. He then becomes the right hand man of the Shogun, wielding steel folded over 1000 times by Muramasa himself while flirting with a posse of tsundere ninja girls.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Dude can fight ghosts, he's a pretty big deal

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Just beat the game. Great final boss. Looking forward to being a co-op buddy now and gearing myself up to be invincible.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You gotta talk to the blacksmith (s)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

verbal enema posted:

My death count after just finishing the 9th story mission (and all previous sub-missions) is 732

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How exactly does a heavy Ninjitsu build work? Is the damage scaling for things like Kunai/Shuriken really good, or are you still doing most of your damage with weapons and just backing it up with some Ninja stuff? I want to respec and try it, but with like 10 points in it now and having 7 Kunai that do like 50 damage a pop I can't see how its effective unless there's a huge damage boost from skills.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

The Moon Monster posted:

How the hell do I get blacksmith patronage points? I'm on region 5 and have earned a grand total of 1. I'm using the smith plenty, so I'm not sure what else there is for me to do there.

Just spend lots of money. It's worth saving up those points though for something that happens later that lets you spend them on something much more useful, cheaper soul matching.

So what's the deal with divine weapons? I now have a pile of them but I guess they're all level 1? What should I be doing with these and how do I see what level they are?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

How exactly does a heavy Ninjitsu build work? Is the damage scaling for things like Kunai/Shuriken really good, or are you still doing most of your damage with weapons and just backing it up with some Ninja stuff? I want to respec and try it, but with like 10 points in it now and having 7 Kunai that do like 50 damage a pop I can't see how its effective unless there's a huge damage boost from skills.

Dot scales with it. Kunai still more for stagger/interruption. Power pills lots of bombs super powerful kurisagama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's the stuff like the Muneshige duel that has people going apeshit. And that fight is a real oval office. I did it last night, took me about three dozen attempts with one coming super close before I decided to hump the stump and cheese it.

That duel is so weirdly placed. It's at the end of the first chapter, but is harder than anything else you can do prior to the credits rolling. After going through NG+, I'll disagree with another poster who said he's only hard because you learn him first. Even after completing NG and knowing how to deal with human bosses, he's more of a pain in the rear end than the others. All the others can be dealt with by the standard Souls technique of dodging behind them. :v:

The Moon Monster posted:

It's pretty funny how all of the weeaboo jokes about William ended up being so spot on. He becomes a peerless weaponsmaster by reading an issue of Shonen Jump on his boat ride to glorious Zipangu. When he gets there he trains under Hattori Hanzo and is immediately made a samurai and accepted into the highest levels of society. He then becomes the right hand man of the Shogun, wielding steel folded over 1000 times by Muramasa himself while flirting with a posse of tsundere ninja girls.

He also cock blocks himself by being to "mysterious" to actually talk to the girl.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 15, 2017