Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I'm usually never one for abandoning family but considering how ungrateful she is to have a roof over her head, yeah, maybe it's time to show her the door

I think when you're in your 50s and your kids are grown it's probably OK to prioritize your partner over your offspring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

this one's got a twist
My girlfriend [41f] has given me [52m] an ultimatum: it's either her or my daughter.

That is a pretty difficult situation, but in the end his daughter needs to grow the gently caress up. Give her an ultimatum to apply to twenty jobs every day (with proof) or she needs to leave the house. She's his own daughter so it's rough (and he clearly feels responsible for the way she is to some extent) but he's enabled her way too much in this case, sheltered her from the reality that work is necessary in life. She needs a rude awakening but at the same time she doesn't need to be broken by the world by getting kicked out and becoming homeless (and likely victimized).

EDIT: I understand this firsthand because at some periods of my life I've been a complete fuckup and drug addict. Never as bad as this girl, never as ungrateful. But my parents prioritized respect for themselves, their relationship, and the remainder of their lives too much to allow me to gently caress up endlessly. And in the end that allowed me to grow and change and get my life together. Some amount of support is fine, too much like this case ends in dependence and the pathetic example of a human being we see here.

Play fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 14, 2017

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My 50sM neighbor got married about 18 months ago and and is getting divorced already. The reason is his new wife brought along her 20sF tumblrina daughter who moved in and would never, ever leave the house, ate everything, and was constantly inviting her weirdo friends over. He finally told his wife it's her or me and she packed up and left the same day.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I was fully expecting a "jesus christ break up with the bitch" story but wow, no such luck.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'm really uncomfortable saying this because it's just too real itt, but yeah, same

this one's got a twist
My girlfriend [41f] has given me [52m] an ultimatum: it's either her or my daughter.

i might be projecting here but this daughter sounds like my cousin before she got diagnosed with bpd. has the dude considered his daughter might have brain problems??

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Sisal Two-Step posted:

i might be projecting here but this daughter sounds like my cousin before she got diagnosed with bpd. has the dude considered his daughter might have brain problems??

Could also be bipolar. I get the feeling maybe Dad has turned a blind eye to this over the years or spent a lot of time downplaying it. Mental health issues are probably at play, if it's something treatable she could turn her life around with the right support.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Confining cats to a single room is pretty messed up.

Also how can you live with the litterbox in the same room?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RatHat posted:

Confining cats to a single room is pretty messed up.

Also how can you live with the litterbox in the same room?

the daughter h as a severe undiagnosed mental illness

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mirthless posted:

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Could also be bipolar. I get the feeling maybe Dad has turned a blind eye to this over the years or spent a lot of time downplaying it. Mental health issues are probably at play, if it's something treatable she could turn her life around with the right support.

Y-yes? That's what BPD means. Bipolar Disorder

E: well I'm an idiot. Sorry. It's borderline personality disorder. You were right and I am an rear end.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Batterypowered7 posted:

quote:

quote:

Nah I think it might be bi-polar.

fuckin magnets how do they work

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Batterypowered7 posted:

E: well I'm an idiot. Sorry. It's borderline personality disorder. You were right and I am an rear end.
[/quote]

There is Borderline Personality Disorder too

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
My MIL had the same situation with her boyfriend's son. Worked a few hours a week, no plans for the future, smoked weed all day, ate all the food, left messes everywhere.

The issue is more with the parent than the kid. Not enforcing boundaries or rules is what creates the monsters. I doubt it's mental illness.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Improbable Lobster posted:

There is Borderline Personality Disorder too
[/quote]

Yeah, I edited my post. Was a little too quick to jump on the "poo poo on Mirthless" bandwagon and ended up lookin' like a jerk for my troubles.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
He who fights monsters, eh?

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Was a little too quick to jump on the "poo poo on Mirthless" bandwagon and ended up lookin' like a jerk for my troubles.
Patience. Your chance will come, as it does to all.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

tactlessbastard posted:

My 50sM neighbor got married about 18 months ago and and is getting divorced already. The reason is his new wife brought along her 20sF tumblrina daughter who moved in and would never, ever leave the house, ate everything, and was constantly inviting her weirdo friends over. He finally told his wife it's her or me and she packed up and left the same day.

I bet she posted online about how awful the ordeal was an how misogynistic her stepdad was without realize that she was singlehandedly preventing her mom from having a life.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Borderline Personality Disorder sounds incredibly pulled out of someone's rear end. I know it's a real thing. Hell, I think my grandma Kitty had undiagnosed BPD.

Borderline Personality Disorder just sounds like the sort of thing someone throws out while trying to sound smart or during an improv bit.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Batterypowered7 posted:

quote:

I did exactly the same thing earlier this year so don't worry about it, lol

The acronym kind of bugs me tbh!!!! I wish the disorder was called something else because getting lumped in with borderline people all the time kind of sucks. It's such a vague and meaningless term, which I get is kind of the point with a diagnosis of exclusion, but you'd think they'd have picked a name that wasn't so easily confused for a more common condition

Pvt.Scott posted:

Borderline Personality Disorder sounds incredibly pulled out of someone's rear end. I know it's a real thing. Hell, I think my grandma Kitty had undiagnosed BPD.

Borderline Personality Disorder just sounds like the sort of thing someone throws out while trying to sound smart or during an improv bit.

yeah, totally, it sounds like the kind of thing they have a fake psychiatrist in a TV show say when they want to sound smart but don't want to actually hire somebody who knows anything about psychiatry

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 14, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pvt.Scott posted:

I've read that there is some debate about it, actually. Apparently you're a lot more likely to be diagnosed with it as a woman than as a man, and men presenting the same symptoms are more likely to get a diagnosis of PTSD which has led to some speculation that BPD is just hysteria for the 21st century.

Mind you, I'm retarded. So don't take me as an authority here.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

fruit on the bottom posted:

I've read that there is some debate about it, actually. Apparently you're a lot more likely to be diagnosed with it as a woman than as a man, and men presenting the same symptoms are more likely to get a diagnosis of PTSD which has led to some speculation that BPD is just hysteria for the 21st century.

Mind you, I'm retarded. So don't take me as an authority here.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the imbalance here could be chalked up to military enrollment rates. Borderline person gets out of the military and doctors are just going to go to the more likely diagnosis of exclusion, PTSD

This is just speculation, of course. :shrug: My brother's BPD was very likely a factor in him enlisting, though, and I wouldn't at all be surprised to find out enlistment rates among males with BPD was very high.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Do I [23 M] wish my former(?) crush[22 F] happy Singles Awareness Day?

quote:

I asked my then(?)-crush out a year ago just as she started dating a guy (who I'm totally better than btw). A mutual friend about 3 weeks ago told me Crush is single. IDK if she broke up with him or he broke up with her or what went down. IDK if I'm supposed to know as she's never said anything to me. She does seem to be acting more friendly to me. Since my Friend told me about Crush, I can't stop thinking about her despite I know there's probably 0% chance of anything working out. As a joke, do I wish Crush happy Singles Awareness Day?

tl;dr: Do I text my once-Crush that I've started pining over when learning she's single a happy Singles Day?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I don't think he'd necessarily be wrong to look for a reason to talk to her now that she's single but this seems like a kind of creepy way to do it

vvv edit: yeah I agree, cutting right to the chase is probably his best bet. I think the right dude could make this one work but this guy does not seem like that dude

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 14, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

No, you ask her out, you goof. I mean the Singles' Awareness Day angle could be cute if pulled off well, hypothetically, but the dude who wrote that clearly isn't Lothario here.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

bpd is not a bullshit diagnosis doctors make when they don't know whats going on. People's brains break in predictable ways that lead to a recognizable constellation of behaviors and symptoms, and in this situation it breaks in a way that makes the person into a total piece of poo poo.

fruit on the bottom posted:

men presenting the same symptoms are more likely to get a diagnosis of PTSD which has led to some speculation that BPD is just hysteria for the 21st century.

I have never met a doctor who thinks this

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

food court bailiff posted:

No, you ask her out, you goof. I mean the Singles' Awareness Day angle could be cute if pulled off well, hypothetically, but the dude who wrote that clearly isn't Lothario here.

Seriously, "hey, wanna go get dinner or see a movie sometime?" Making it about the fact that she just broke up with someone and you know it is probably the worst move possible, just don't mention it unless you want to come off like a vindictive rear end in a top hat basically saying "I told you so, you should've gone with me instead of that guy (who I'm much better than btw)"

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Beachcomber posted:

If he had more time, he could just throw all her poo poo on the lawn, along with the largest novelty dildo he can find, and a note reading "Now you're hosed." Change the locks.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

My SO[23/M] broke up with me [23/F] after five months because of a postcard

quote:

Six months ago I went on a date with a very nice guy I knew for a little bit, we kissed but it I realized I didn't find him attractive at all and there was no chemistry. He's from Canada and I'm from Europe and he left for home soon after the date. It was just one date, but he wanted to keep in touch over social media and skype, so I agreed since it was nice talking to him so we have friendly chats from time to time. A month later I met my boyfriend who I've been dating for five months now. A lot of it has been long distance and he has some very bad trust issues. I told him all about my Canadian friend from the beginning, was very open about it, he seemed fine with it.
So for Christmas I sent my friend a card to Canada to which he nicely replied in his postcard. I mentioned it to my SO an hour after I got it while we were talking and he asked me to take a photo of it so he could see it, we were talking about something else and I felt a bit uncomfortable with the request so I ignored it. But after he repeated that he wants to see what he wrote a few times in a span of five minutes I gave in and sent him a picture of the postcard and he completely lost it.
The postcard starts with my friend apologizing why he sent it so late and explained how he was looking for a nice one. He picked an adult coloring one with a flower because "it was unique and he didn't have time to give me flowers in Europe" talked about the weather and how he'd like to see the town where he lived for half a year in the winter, commented on a saying that comforts him (I quoted a saying in mine so he was reciprocating), expressed how he doesn't know the future but he'd like to find me in it at some point if he can and signed it with your friend XY, hugs and kisses from Canada.
So my SO said how I hid the postcard from him because he had to ask to see it four times, that I didn't show it to him on my own. I told him I'm not interested in anything with my friend and that I don't flirt with him or encourage it and if I wanted to hide anything I wouldn't have said that the friend even exists. He called me a liar and that no-one writes hugs and kisses if it's not reciprocated or caused, and that I'm having an affair or whatnot. After a fight, he broke up with me because of the postcard saying it is all my fault and how I'm never on his side. When I tried to empathize and see it from his side he said that I'm "up on my high horse treating him like he's an inferior jealous maniac when I f-ed up"
I'm honestly shocked and hurt he would break up over this and have so little trust in me. Am I right to think this was his overreaction or am I in the wrong and should apologize?
tl;dr: SO broke up with me after receiving a postcard from a male friend signed by hugs and kisses. His overreaction or my mistake?

The comments are surprisingly divided, some people are saying that this is just how Canadians are and others are saying this card is extremely inappropriate and her hiding it was a big red flag.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

lmao at "no you dont understand, its cool for him to send me flirty things while im in a relationship, he's fat and ugly i would never date him!"

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Nazzadan posted:

The comments are surprisingly divided, some people are saying that this is just how Canadians are and others are saying this card is extremely inappropriate and her hiding it was a big red flag.

The answer is somewhere in the middle. We're overly polite but that guy is obviously jonesing for her

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Nazzadan posted:

A lot of that could be pretty innocuous but "he doesn't know the future but he'd like to find me in it at some point if he can" really stood out to me as a fairly unacceptable thing. No one wants to feel like you're holding the looming threat of someone else to date/bang over your relationship, particularly if it's a long distance thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Laffo at this girl having an actual Canadian boyfriend.

Boyfriend was right to dump her, and its only a 5 month relationship so nobody should be too worked up.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
but yeah "a friend sent you a card? I demand to see it" is hilariously insecure so they both suck, I guess it's just sorta which red flags you would rather talk about. There's really no reason to defend either of their behavior.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

ArbitraryC posted:

A lot of that could be pretty innocuous but "he doesn't know the future but he'd like to find me in it at some point if he can" really stood out to me as a fairly unacceptable thing. No one wants to feel like you're holding the looming threat of someone else to date/bang over your relationship, particularly if it's a long distance thing.

That's definitely over the line, how could you interpret that any way other than romantically?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Someone in the comments had a good point, sending cards is a bit of a tiny red flag as it is. Communication is super easy nowadays, and to take the effort to actually physically send a card and on top of that have all that poo poo about waiting for the future is definitely weird.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

"I felt uncomfortable with the request" well yeah so would I if somebody had written that they want me in their future and signed it with hugs and kisses

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Here's a pretty common one:
My [28M] girlfriend [23F] of six months snooped and found old nudes from a previous relationship on my laptop.

not gonna bother quoting the whole thing because it's just an obvious story, insecure partner digging until they find something they don't like. What I honestly don't get is why so many people seem to keep old sex pics/vids of their exes, like when you break up you delete them that's just sorta common sense.

quote:

As I came home for lunch and logged into my laptop I noticed the Finder window open to my Phone Pictures folder and highlighted was a folder with my ex-girlfriends name. I hadn’t looked in that folder since the breakup a year ago and when I went into the folder I realized it was all the sexual pictures my ex had sent me
Dude literally just had a folder named after his ex full of nudes chillin on his hard drive, I can't be the only one who thinks that's kinda weird. Obviously she shouldn't have been snoopin but it's just so odd to me.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

My attitude is leave porn to the professionals, don't make a sex tape.

Any if you send any nudes you are effectively risking them showing up anywhere.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

"I felt uncomfortable with the request" well yeah so would I if somebody had written that they want me in their future and signed it with hugs and kisses

she could have easily defused it from the beginning just by showing him the card and being all "yeah this guy is so hung up on me but it's not gonna happen don't worry :rolleyes:"

I mean it's a little weird for him to demand to see it but if he's been cheated on in a LDR before I can't blame him for being on his guard. Nobody wants to be one of somebody's four internet boyfriends, the second you get whiff of something like this in a long distance relationship it seems like it would be a good idea to bolt.

ArbitraryC posted:

Here's a pretty common one:
My [28M] girlfriend [23F] of six months snooped and found old nudes from a previous relationship on my laptop.

quote:

As I came home for lunch and logged into my laptop I noticed the Finder window open to my Phone Pictures folder and highlighted was a folder with my ex-girlfriends name

Man, if she can find it with Winkey+F, you wanted it to be found

Definitely an extremely inappropriate invasion of privacy to start Winkey+Fing the names of your partner's exes on their laptop, but c'mon. :colbert:

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 15, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mirthless posted:

Man, if she can find it with Winkey+F, you wanted it to be found

Definitely an extremely inappropriate invasion of privacy to start Winkey+Fing the names of your partner's exes on their laptop, but c'mon. :colbert:

Theres enough apps in modern phones and PCs that try to sync automatically when you connect your phone to your PC this could have easily happened without him even knowing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

purple death ray posted:

Theres enough apps in modern phones and PCs that try to sync automatically when you connect your phone to your PC this could have easily happened without him even knowing

Oh hey that's a good point. I turn automatic syncing off on all of my phones!

I said it last time we discussed this topic and I don't want to run down the rabbit hole again, but IMO if you're out of a relationship with somebody, delete their nudes and destroy your sex tapes, it's better for everyone in the long run

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 15, 2017