Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Thats... How you deal with Muneshige...

I bought some sake to make my game drinking tonight appropriately themed. Not the cheapest, but probably not very good either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Yodzilla posted:

Just spend lots of money. It's worth saving up those points though for something that happens later that lets you spend them on something much more useful, cheaper soul matching.

You don't need to actually spend money, I've definitely gotten points just from disassembling and selling.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Unfiltered sake is the best sake.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
This poison mine level is really, really unfun.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Yodzilla posted:

Unfiltered sake is the best sake.

But not all unfiltered sake is good sake.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Someone google translated the latest patch notes.

quote:

VER 1.03

【Adjustment】
Reward increase on play by rare players Like "Oguchi" drops at random at the time of enemy defeat (only rare people) "Military" at the time of the mission success in the rare and increase in the number of "Inoguchi" acquired
Add forged items to "Trading" of "Tea room of Hiduyo"
Adjusted the ninety-ninth weapon gauge recovery efficiency when using "Rukai" while using the ninety-nine weapons
Adjustment of paralysis accumulation amount when using "jellyfish powder" repeatedly

【Bug fixes】
Fixed a bug that the mission could not be achieved with the Chinese version "Tempura of the Fire God" Tokai Hen "seeking stronger fire"
Fixed a bug that Kyushu Hen "Sleeping Spirit Stone" gesture tutorial window will not disappear
Fixed a bug that the title "Masa Saga won the winner" can not be acquired
Other minor bug fixes
TEMPURA OF THE FIRE GOD

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

why? its so incredibly easy. if you ever get poisoned you hosed up. just use the machine, smash rock. in some rooms you dont wven need the machine, just jump attack rock

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

My opinion is that Nioh is easier than Souls but more punishing, if that makes sense.

Like, I think it's easier to avoid making mistakes in Nioh. You have a ton of tools at your disposal to avoid getting in trouble in the first place. The player is pretty empowered in comparison to most enemies in Nioh, which isn't the case in Souls, where I think you're always supposed to feel small and vulnerable no matter how badass you think you are. In Nioh, you are a badass.

But if you miss all your chances to avoid a gently caress up and then you do gently caress up, Nioh's going to smack you the hell down for it in a way that Souls won't. Souls is pretty sparing with its almost-instant kills, but Nioh isn't. Nioh isn't afraid to let you die in a single combo, or to let an enemy knock off 75% of your Life in a single hit, then follow it up with another attack way faster than you think they should. Souls wants to wear you down by making you pay little by little for your mistakes as you go; Nioh, instead, wants you to be the badass you're supposed to be and will rip you in half if you don't.

The point is, I don't think it's harder than Souls. I don't know if I think it's even as hard as Souls. But I can see why a lot of reviewers or commentators think that it is, because until you learn how to play, Nioh will kill you so fast you won't feel like it's fair.

I also think reviewers who are coming from Souls undervalue blocking. Something I always tell people when they're turned off from Nioh because they heard you can get killed in a single, inescapable combo: the problem is that the reviewer tried to dodge out of a combo, when your block is actually faster than your dodge. You need to block to break a combo. Then you're free to counterattack or dodge out. I think Souls and Bloodborne drummed the idea that dodging is the one true defense into people's minds so they're not really ready to really need to block sometimes in Nioh. Even in light armor, blocking is a viable way to defend yourself against a lot of attacks. (I also forget this all the time. It's still my reflex to mash dodge when I'm being combo'd, and then I die and remember, gently caress, I'm supposed to block.)

This is precisely how I look at it.

Although, even "punishing" can be misleading. Nioh is far less mean about punishing you for death than souls was. Summoner's Candles are literally loving everywhere. Its like if Dark Souls had 200 rings of sacrifice and you could use them AFTER dying to bring your bloodstain back. That's... unbelievably forgiving for a souls-like. Once you realize you can do that... you never really lose souls.

And that's on top of souls being separate from gold, and other things. So its less of that kinda... survival horror feeling that souls almost has, and its more about just perfect execution of the level so that you can get through the whole thing without losing so much health that you die. Like... an old school NES game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I thought it was a good romp. Just look for the poison making dudes while you're above, hit the air filter, go down there and kill them, and then you're done with poison.

For an even easier time grab the anti-poison pill ninjitsu.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

This is precisely how I look at it.

Although, even "punishing" can be misleading. Nioh is far less mean about punishing you for death than souls was. Summoner's Candles are literally loving everywhere. Its like if Dark Souls had 200 rings of sacrifice and you could use them AFTER dying to bring your bloodstain back. That's... unbelievably forgiving for a souls-like. Once you realize you can do that... you never really lose souls.

And that's on top of souls being separate from gold, and other things. So its less of that kinda... survival horror feeling that souls almost has, and its more about just perfect execution of the level so that you can get through the whole thing without losing so much health that you die. Like... an old school NES game.

That's what those things do? For some reason I recalled someone saying they gave you revenant rewards without fighting them and I never used them because fighting revenants is fun.

Not that it's a huge loss. I pretty much never lost my amrita because, like souls, it's always easy to just run past poo poo and pick up your bloodstain. Worst case too many enemies follow you so you pick it up then run back close to the shrine to die right next to it. :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I wish I had known what Summoner's Candles actually were too :(

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

After playing Souls and Bloodborne, losing 100k or more amrita is just no big deal to me. I expect it to happen.

Though with how leveling works in Nioh I level up whenever I can. I don't hoard amrita since I don't have to worry about being locked out of coop for being too high or low leveled.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

That duel is so weirdly placed. It's at the end of the first chapter, but is harder than anything else you can do prior to the credits rolling. After going through NG+, I'll disagree with another poster who said he's only hard because you learn him first. Even after completing NG and knowing how to deal with human bosses, he's more of a pain in the rear end than the others. All the others can be dealt with by the standard Souls technique of dodging behind them. :v:

I'm positive they made that fight so hard for the demo. It still seems really out of place considering how much harder he is than so much stuff that comes after him. I feel like they tuned him to be really difficult for that area just so people during the demo would be like "Oh my God its so difficult, Dark souls!!!!"

I also feel like every weapon besides single Katana was added at some point much later in production. There's so many Katana drops and it just feels like so much more thought was put into the balance of it. It really seems like fairly late into the production someone said "Okay guys, it's 2017 and you can't make an ARPG with just one weapon type". I literally didn't see any enemy with a Kusarigama until the 4th area.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I found a really weird set that had an interesting 7 piece bonus. Forgot to take a picture, but it gives you A+ damage scaling based on how heavy your current equipment is. Seems like an...interesting choice. Also it doesn't have any skill bonuses, just general stats.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wish I had known what Summoner's Candles actually were too :(

Where does it tell you this?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly don't think I have gotten a single shred of enjoyment out of any of the bosses in this game. I hate every single one of them.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

As great as this game is, I just can't get over how terrible the story telling is. Not the plot, the plot is fine. It's obviously very campy and not at all serious, but it's fun. It's just the unbelievably lovely exposition. You get thrown into Japan in the middle of this huge war and you'll just be randomly introduced to people over a 6-second cut scene and you have no idea who they are or what the gently caress they're doing.

Obviously most people will be familiar with Tokugawa, but half the characters are introduced in a one paragraph piece of paper on the mission select scene. Whenever there is a a cut scene you'll have 5 characters, 3 who are brand new, and they'll be talking about a whole set of people you've never even met. It's like they expect you to have a complete knowledge of the Sengoku Period and all of it's major and minor players. I live in Japan, I speak Japanese, I've even studied and read a lot about Sengoku era Japan and am pretty familiar with most of what goes on, and even I am just like "Who the hell are these people?". The random Witcher-style cut scenes after big events also don't tie into anything and just feel so forced into the game.

The combat in this game is so excellent, but it feels like they spent the first 90% of their time on that and then spent about 2 months just throwing in some cutscenes and story.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

veni veni veni posted:

I honestly don't think I have gotten a single shred of enjoyment out of any of the bosses in this game. I hate every single one of them.

Stop thinking this is dark souls. This is ninja gaiden.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

As great as this game is, I just can't get over how terrible the story telling is. Not the plot, the plot is fine. It's obviously very campy and not at all serious, but it's fun. It's just the unbelievably lovely exposition. You get thrown into Japan in the middle of this huge war and you'll just be randomly introduced to people over a 6-second cut scene and you have no idea who they are or what the gently caress they're doing.

Obviously most people will be familiar with Tokugawa, but half the characters are introduced in a one paragraph piece of paper on the mission select scene. Whenever there is a a cut scene you'll have 5 characters, 3 who are brand new, and they'll be talking about a whole set of people you've never even met. It's like they expect you to have a complete knowledge of the Sengoku Period and all of it's major and minor players. I live in Japan, I speak Japanese, I've even studied and read a lot about Sengoku era Japan and am pretty familiar with most of what goes on, and even I am just like "Who the hell are these people?". The random Witcher-style cut scenes after big events also don't tie into anything and just feel so forced into the game.

The combat in this game is so excellent, but it feels like they spent the first 90% of their time on that and then spent about 2 months just throwing in some cutscenes and story.

As someone who has played every samurai warriors game and watched tons of sengoku poo poo, I didn't mind this.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
What's a good build for spear? Just body?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't really have a problem.with the story telling. Every cutscene is basically just "next, you will go do this", which is really all I want from a cutscene in a game that's not trying to be a movie, like mgs or tlou.

I summoner candle when I have close to a level of amrita in a bossroom and I'm really close to beating the boss and dont want to gently caress up the fight trying to get to my grave. I don't think I've ever dropped below 4 summoner candles so they must be dropping regular. I've probably used half a dozen.

I'm watching The Last Samurai right now. I've seen it a few times before. It looks cool, and the action is really good, but man is it the most saccharine poo poo. And it would make more sense if it was literally a time travel movie.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Even...even...toadninja? cause he's my favorite boss of and Soulsborne lords of the nioh ever.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

This guy knew that you always have 5 summoner candles in your inventory

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, he also only died 11 times before beating the last story mission. So he probably didn't need them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Even...even...toadninja? cause he's my favorite boss of and Soulsborne lords of the nioh ever.

I haven't got to him yet. Just finished the blob.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I don't think I understand parrying in this game at all. I beat the game without it and now I'm trying to make it work. So far I've tried against the spear undead and the axe wielding knights in London and...nothing. When the hell do you need to press the parry button to get it to proc?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yodzilla posted:

I don't think I understand parrying in this game at all. I beat the game without it and now I'm trying to make it work. So far I've tried against the spear undead and the axe wielding knights in London and...nothing. When the hell do you need to press the parry button to get it to proc?

Assuming you have bought the parry ability and are in the right stance, it may be earlier than what feels right, at least that's how I felt coming from Bloodborne. Basically do your parry animation outside of combat and see the windup time, the enemy's attack needs to land in the middle of your animation. You definitely can't do it in London since you don't have access to skills yet

Edit: I see you're talking about NG+ so never mind on that last part

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 15, 2017

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Am I gonna have to farm this Zen mission to get the Yagyu Smithing Text? Its not really hard, but it doesn't seem super cheesable and I can't bring Luck talismans so this could be a pain.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't got to him yet. Just finished the blob.

If you liked the noted good duels in From games. Like artorias or Maria. You are in for some treats. Hang in there. :picture of kitten hanging in there:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Assuming you have bought the parry ability and are in the right stance, it may be earlier than what feels right, at least that's how I felt coming from Bloodborne. Basically do your parry animation outside of combat and see the windup time, the enemy's attack needs to land in the middle of your animation. You definitely can't do it in London since you don't have access to skills yet

Yup this is it. Attack hits while you animate. Doesn't help there's different timing for the different parries of the different weapons.

(and even if you can do it there seem to be better options like kicking their ki away)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Why does smithing text have to be so rare :negative:

I just want Otani's smithing text so I can make myself a sweet set of Justice Ministry's armor but I'm not getting jack poo poo

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

Why does smithing text have to be so rare :negative:

I just want Otani's smithing text so I can make myself a sweet set of Justice Ministry's armor but I'm not getting jack poo poo

Looks like 20-30 kills is the range to get text drops from what I'm seeing around the web. Looked be about that to get my iga Jonin texts. Probably 30-45 minutes of grinding.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The monster boss fights are pretty mediocre. The humanoid ones are mostly really good though (I'm counting the Frog as humanoid).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

The monster boss fights are pretty mediocre. The humanoid ones are mostly really good though (I'm counting the Frog as humanoid).

Right, but he's Yokai, so it's really easy to take him out with magic.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

BatLady was a bit rough as an Axe user. Trick seemed to be to just not even try to dodge any of her melee attacks; whenever she starts running at you just sprint backwards a few steps and then spin around and do a high stance sprinting attack .

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
When does the adept ninja mission unlock? Main story mission or a sub-mission? I ha e so many ninjutsu points to spend.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Fellatio del Toro posted:

BatLady was a bit rough as an Axe user. Trick seemed to be to just not even try to dodge any of her melee attacks; whenever she starts running at you just sprint backwards a few steps and then spin around and do a high stance sprinting attack .

You don't have to spin around. If you lock on and run toward the screen, you will still move at full sprint but be ready to attack as soon as you stop.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Jewce posted:

When does the adept ninja mission unlock? Main story mission or a sub-mission? I ha e so many ninjutsu points to spend.

All the dojo missions unlock after the first story mission of a chapter. So if it didnt unlock you have to wait til a new region.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Snak posted:

I mean, he also only died 11 times before beating the last story mission. So he probably didn't need them.

He's not wrong, I always did have a full inventory of them if you know what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I'm halfway through NG+ and I didn't realize what summoner's candles did until this page. I've lost... roughly fifteen million souls...