Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

You want to post it? Behind a paywall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You want to post it? Behind a paywall.

quote:

The WA Nationals have preferenced the Greens ahead of their Liberal colleagues in two upper house regions, including putting the state’s agriculture minister Mark Lewis behind a sitting Greens legislative councillor.

The move will deepen a rift between the two Coalition partners who have clashed over the Liberal Party’s decision to do a “grubby” and “disgraceful” preference deal with One Nation to help Colin Barnett cling on to power in WA.

However, details of candidate voting tickets released by the WA Electoral Commission show that the Nationals have preferenced the Greens in the Mining and Pastoral region and the South West region ahead of the second Liberal on the ticket, in what appears to be a deal with the minor party to reciprocate.

In the South West region, the WA Nationals have preferenced three Shooters and Fishers candidates, the Liberal Democrats, Family First, the Australian Christians, and Green candidate Diane Evers, before preferencing the Liberals’ Wade De Campo, sitting member Robyn McSweeney and two other Liberal candidates.

In the Mining and Pastoral region, the Nationals have put Mr Lewis behind nine other minor party candidates, including a Green, despite him being in the Barnett government cabinet since last September.

The revelation will likely deepen the feud between the two coalition partners after National Party backbenchers stepped up the attack on the Liberals for its dealings with Pauline Hanson’s political juggernaut.

WA One Nation deal ‘disgraceful’

National Party backbenchers have attacked the Liberal Party over a preference deal between its West Australian branch and One Nation, labelling the move “pretty disgraceful” and potentially damaging for the country.

As a fight over Pauline Hanson’s swelling political power splits the Coalition and sparks claims of “grubby” Labor deals to trade preferences, outspoken Nationals MPs George Christensen and Andrew Broad told The Australian of their anger about the arrangement.

Mr Broad, a Victorian MP, urged his Liberal colleagues to “believe in” the Coalition.

“Our quest is always to do the right thing, not to do the thing that wins us seats,” he said.

The Menzies Coalition, Fraser Coalition, Howard Coalition, Abbott Coalition, perhaps Turnbull Coalition has delivered Australia great government. It’s a model that works. Believe in it.

“If you want a coalition with One Nation the country would be poorer for it. The implications for the country are significant. We’d be a less tolerant country, we would be a country that doesn’t understand our trading partners … We would be a country that would be providing ineffective answers to difficult problems.”

Mr Broad also hit out at Liberal colleagues such as Industry Minister Arthur Sinodinos for describing One Nation as “a lot more sophisticated”, saying they should have a “drat good look” at the minor party’s policies and question if that is what they also stood for.

Mr Christensen, who tweeted over the weekend he wanted to remain in the Nats amid concern he might follow Cory Bernardi’s lead and defect from his party, said he hoped bad blood between the Liberals and Nationals in WA did not “spill over to the federal arena”.

“The Libs would rather see One Nation people in parliament than National Party people in WA. I could hazard a guess that’s not going to go down too well with the WA Nats,” Mr Christensen said.

“It’s pretty disgraceful that the WA Libs would not preference their Coalition partners ahead of another party. It just doesn’t make for a good working relationship in the future.”

But Mr Christensen said he believed the deal would “likely” be refined to Western Australian and not replicated elsewhere.

“I hope that federally they would be able to come to some amicable arrangements to ensure they’re preferencing each other rather than other parties,” he said.

West Australian Liberal senator Chris Back hit back at upset Nationals, saying the party’s state leader Brendon Grylls spent “some period of time” during the cliffhanger 2008 election “deciding whether to side” with Mr Barnett or then Labor premier Alan Carpenter.

“It’s a good move by the WA Liberal Party,” he said.

Under the deal, the Liberals will direct preferences to One Nation above the Nationals in the upper house — a move that has infuriated the Liberals’ traditional ally and junior Coalition partner. In exchange, One Nation has agreed to direct preferences to the Liberals above Labor in all 35 lower house seats the party will contest.

Barnaby Joyce has warned of ­retaliation over the WA deal as he met his federal colleagues last night to consider the threat to their party.

Social Services Minister and former Western Australian treasurer Christian Porter said the Liberal Party branch had said they would only preference One Nation above the Nationals in the upper house “in some districts”.

“(That) is actually something that the Nationals, themselves in WA, did exactly the same thing several elections ago,” he told ABC radio.

The senior WA Liberal MP said the relationship between the two parties in his home state was “unique” and the circumstances “idiosyncratic and different and unusual”.

“The relationship between the Nationals and the Liberals in WA is very, very different from the one that exists in every other jurisdiction in Australia. It’s not a single party, it’s not even a coalition,” Mr Porter said.

“The Nationals, as has been noted many times by Brendon Grylls, acts completely independently of the two major parties in the way in which it negotiates for government and they do what they do independently in the best interests, as they see it, of their constituents.”

My favourite line is bolded.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Barnett's cooked. I feel like I should put a bet on him getting back into power though because society at large is totally hosed and people just do the stupidest thing possible whenever possible

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

He only distanced himself from those comments inasmuch as they made the Q Society look bad, he didn't really denounce them at all.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Anecdotally, I heard there was a solid core of people organising the women's march in Sydney who tried to ban transgender people and sex workers from participating, and verbalised them a little during the march.

There's quite a lot of women who go out and fight for women's rights one day, and then turn around the next day and use the same arguments that were used against them to disenfranchise women who aren't doing what they're telling them to do, and the irony is completely lost on them.

That's definitely the case generally, but that's not my experience with WARC.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Hey, so about that new enhanced vetting for ON candidates.

WA One Nation candidate claims gay community uses Nazi-style mind control

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

"It's not by accident; it's by a carefully contrived but disingenuous mind control program, melded together by two Norwegian homosexuals who graduated from Harvard – one of whom has since prematurely passed away.

"It's by a design convert to the general public but fully practised and promoted by the LGBTIQQMA/P community.

"Utilising many of the strategies developed by the Soviets and then the Nazis, they have gone on to apply and perfect theses principles so as to make them universal in their application – but with devastating results considering the counter productive nature of such "unions"."

I wonder who the surviving Norwegian homosexual is?

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Really enjoying this trend of ON nominating increasingly unstable candidates. Malcom Roberts believing Al Gore shilled Global Warming to make money is funny but this Norwegian Gay Mind Control and the guy who couldn't be bothered to clear his facebook of all his SWEATY MULATTO BUTTS and MEDIEVAL CUCK FANTASY likes are really raising the bar in a post-satire One Nation.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

My favourite line is bolded.

Coming from a Victorian Liberal, that's quite hilarious.

Mine is:

“We’d be a less tolerant country, we would be a country that doesn’t understand our trading partners … We would be a country that would be providing ineffective answers to difficult problems.”

So close to getting it.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Barnett's cooked.

How likely would they dump Barnett after a respectable interval if they win? It seems they'll run themselves into the ground with this, the way Victorian Liberals enfeebled themselves.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Periphery posted:

Troll him at election time. Ask him for proof that he's who he says he is (photo with the date and forum username or something like that). Document it. Then just casually ask a bunch of questions bout stuff and document all the horrible poo poo he says. Then at election time dump his horrible responses on twitter or anonymously to the media.

Dude's name is possibly Ethan Boris, or some variation thereof. I had a quick google search but couldn't find anything that stood out.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
They'd have to get rid of him for sure. If this One Nation gambit doesn't work he'd be toxic for sure. I think the general vibe is that he's done his dash but who knows? The state is 40 billion in debt and has no real way of getting out. He did build a bunch of new stuff (stadium, elizabeth cauldron, citylink) but as we all know any kind of debt is unnacceptable. Also, he's now borrowing to pay for basic amenities.

His plan is to flip 51% of Western Power but even if he does that he'd have to sell that every year. Also privatising utilities is loving dumb and it has been every single goddamn time.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Newman!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Back, and to the left.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 14, 2017

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Schneider Inside Her posted:

His plan is to flip 51% of Western Power but even if he does that he'd have to sell that every year. Also privatising utilities is loving dumb and it has been every single goddamn time.

Gosh I wonder what happened to all those lovely iron royalties.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Speaking of podcasts, The Double Disillusionists have returned for 2017 (rss feed) and in the latest entry ask the question you almost never hear from the MSM: whats the government strategy with the coal and the One Nation and name-calling Shorten?

It's a good question. They ask are the govt thinking that going so far Right that perhaps this will somehow trick the left into going Hard Left and then they win the middle? They point out that the middle generally win elections so this strategy of going Ultimate Right is a bit odd. Is it to Trump the ALP? Doubtful, since that kind of politics has always bubbled away in places like Queensland and it's never transferred federally. Speaking of federally, One Nation have some weird state policies. Like protecting chiropractors and cutting the number of MPs by half.

Possibly this is all in aid of getting the Opposition to be the story, rather than the government. The ALP are distinctly quiet, letting all the government drama play out. Perhaps the whole pass the parcel with a piece of lacquered coal was part of that strategy because I couldn't see the point other than to snub the BCA and enrage Twitter.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

ewe2 posted:

Speaking of podcasts, The Double Disillusionists have returned for 2017 (rss feed) and in the latest entry ask the question you almost never hear from the MSM: whats the government strategy with the coal and the One Nation and name-calling Shorten?

It's a good question. They ask are the govt thinking that going so far Right that perhaps this will somehow trick the left into going Hard Left and then they win the middle? They point out that the middle generally win elections so this strategy of going Ultimate Right is a bit odd. Is it to Trump the ALP? Doubtful, since that kind of politics has always bubbled away in places like Queensland and it's never transferred federally. Speaking of federally, One Nation have some weird state policies. Like protecting chiropractors and cutting the number of MPs by half.

Possibly this is all in aid of getting the Opposition to be the story, rather than the government. The ALP are distinctly quiet, letting all the government drama play out. Perhaps the whole pass the parcel with a piece of lacquered coal was part of that strategy because I couldn't see the point other than to snub the BCA and enrage Twitter.

I'm not discounting the possibility that the Coalition has some nth-dimensional mastergame happening but whenever I look at the likes of Pyne, Dutton, Abbott et al, I go for the simplest explanation:

This is all just student politics writ large. Win the news cycle, have a good week, embarass the other side.

Their backers want results, Malcolm needs polls to improve, they desperately need good press or at least bad press about the ALP. They're not even bothering with genuine attempts to duchess the Senate crossbench. It's all just stupid stunts, wacky props, Dorothy Dixers etc. The kind of crap that only appeals to the rusted on.

Meanwhile the country literally burns.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Capt.Whorebags posted:

This is all just student politics writ large. Win the news cycle, have a good week, embarass the other side.

Most of the time this is the explanation I go with; it was just interesting to hear someone ask the question why, as if there might be something else to it. Some Twitter cynics have suggested it's pure distraction politics to divert attention away from the terrible legislation they're trying to ram through, but the trouble is that you need to get the legislation through for the ploy to succeed. When the legislation fails because they cannot and will not negotiate in any kind of faith good or bad, it gets noticed and it draws attention to the legislation itself and the public realise we're back to 2014 and the pattern will be the same this year.

He's tried the double dissolution tactic, it nearly failed and the triumph of getting the ABCC bill through was rather muted due to all the caveats. Meanwhile there is an absolute mountain of failed legislation and seemingly no more ideas from the brains trust and another two years of term. It's looking really dire.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

ewe2 posted:

Meanwhile there is an absolute mountain of failed legislation and seemingly no more ideas from the brains trust and another two years of term. It's looking really dire.

Isn't there still a lot of items on the IPA wishlist?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Why did he do this? Is it like when a bunch refused to be present for rudds stolen generations thing?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Oh I should have just looked at the replies. He really is that horrible

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
The CFA getting an allowance increase is reported on the front page of the herald sun, the headline covers 30% of the page and reads: UNION PAY OFF

On Google the Hun's headline is: CFA pay deal bypasses EBA stalemate, gives career firefighters increased allowances
And on their website: Tens of millions of dollars in perks helps break CFA deadlock

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://thewest.com.au/politics/carbon-tax-just-brutal-politics-credlin-ng-s-1674127

Peta Credlin admits the climate change policy under Julia Gillard's Labor government was never a carbon tax, but the coalition used that label to stir up brutal retail politics.

Credlin, the former chief of staff to Tony Abbott when he was prime minister and now a political commentator for Sky News, said the coalition made it a "carbon tax" and a fight about the hip pocket rather than the environment.

"That was brutal retail politics, and it took Abbott six months to cut through and when he did cut through Gillard was gone," she told Sky News on Sunday.

This was always pretty obvious, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Cirofren posted:

The CFA getting an allowance increase is reported on the front page of the herald sun, the headline covers 30% of the page and reads: UNION PAY OFF

On Google the Hun's headline is: CFA pay deal bypasses EBA stalemate, gives career firefighters increased allowances
And on their website: Tens of millions of dollars in perks helps break CFA deadlock

What actually happened: the UFU carried forward provisions and allowances from the 2010 EBA instead of trying to get the 2016 EBA through Fair Work Australia.

Because if they try and get it through FWA it'll be held for the next several years due to the Liberals' legislation saying that volunteers can have a say in professional firefighters' pay and conditions. Which is loving stupid.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2017/02/13/swiss-say-no-to-company-tax-cuts/
For countries where the debate has turned to the benefits of engaging in a race to the bottom on company tax rates, the fate of a Swiss attempt to cut taxes has more than a little political interest.

Switzerland, of course, is the home of up to 24,000 multinationals that headquarter in many of the country's 26 cantons (Switzerland is a federation, remember) to benefit from special low-tax deals struck with cantonal governments -- deals local companies were unable to enjoy. Some of the world's biggest companies pay virtually no tax above an effective federal tax of 7.8%. The Swiss have been under pressure for years from the European Union and OECD to do something about these deals, and in 2014, the country agreed to abolish them by 2019.

Under a proposal put to voters on the weekend by the Swiss government, the cantons would have continued to compete to offer companies the most favourable tax rates, but multinationals would have paid the same rates as other businesses by cutting rates for non-multinationals. For example, multinationals with “auxiliary status” in Geneva (there are around a thousand of them) pay an average corporate tax rate of 11.6%, compared with the 24.16% for ordinary businesses, one of the highest rates in Switzerland. Geneva’s main corporate tax rate would have halved to 13.49%.

Plainly this would have big revenue implications for the cantonal governments -- Geneva would have lost revenue estimated at more 440 million euros a year from the tax cut. The national government pledged to give cantons an extra 1.1 billion Swiss francs (US$1.1 billion) to help cover expected the ensuing revenue shortfalls. The government and business argued -- just like the Business Council and the Liberals here -- that without reform, foreign companies would quit the country for tax havens like Luxembourg.

But voters didn't believe it: on current reports from the weekend vote, 59.1% of voters said no. Supporters of the proposal claimed the vote meant that the anti-globalisation, anti-establishment mood seen in the rest of Europe, Britain and the US had hit Switzerland. But local media reports suggest it was nothing of the sort: polls suggest voters did not believe the government assurances about funding and feared the corporate tax cuts would end up seeing services cut or income and other taxes raised on individuals. And the no camp -- led by the Social Democrats -- claimed the tax breaks would create a 3 billion franc hole in budgets, much larger than that claimed by the government.

The changes also included an array of tax write-offs that further upset voters: these would have allowed multinationals tax relief for research and development or income from patents and on shareholders’ equity. Critics argued they would have simply boosted the income of tax advisers, lawyers and shareholders and cost local residents even more as the budget shortfalls rose for the cantons, leading to higher local taxes.

What's interesting from an Australian point of view is that the Swiss focused on an issue almost entirely ignored here by tax cut advocates: if you cut taxes, it has to be paid for either by increasing other taxes or cutting government services. Advocates here, when pressed, resort to Laffer Curve nonsense about faster growth generating more revenue, but they generally prefer to avoid the question of who -- especially at a time when the budget is in deep deficit -- will make up for the lost revenue.

Thank Christ we don't have to vote on decisions like this here.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/feb/15/taxes-rise-ndis-welfare-cuts-blocked-government-warns?CMP=soc_567 posted:

The federal government has flagged it will increase tax if the Senate does not pass family benefit cuts in the omnibus welfare bill, citing the need to pay for the national disability insurance scheme.

The finance minister, Mathias Cormann, told Lateline on Tuesday that if parliament did not pass its savings measures, “then of course tax increases become the only option”.

On Monday the government attempted to increase pressure on the Senate crossbench to pass welfare cuts associated with its childcare package by announcing that $3bn of the proposed savings package would be allocated to a special account to fund the full rollout of the NDIS.

But the Nick Xenophon Team, Labor and the Greens plan to block the bill, with Xenophon citing the harsh effect of almost $4bn in savings measures on families.

Liberal defector, senator Cory Bernardi, has also warned he is reconsidering whether the can support the bill, because it “robs Peter to pay Paul” rather than contributing to budget repair.

The government’s omnibus savings package includes multibillion-dollar cuts to family tax benefits, paid parental leave and unemployment payments, with some of that money used to pay for extra funding for childcare.
Budget plan unrealistic and will increase income tax burden, thinktank finds
Read more

Cormann said the savings in the bill would either be directed to better childcare or spent on the NDIS – which he said was already a liability for the government that was “left unfunded by Labor”.

Asked about increasing a tax such as the Medicare levy to pay for the NDIS, Cormann said if savings were blocked then there “comes a day when the only way you can repair the budget is through tax increases”.

“That is not what we would like to do. That is not our instinct or our preference. ... but the way that the Labor party is carrying on, it might be that is the only thing that we are able to do at the end of the day.”

The treasurer, Scott Morrison, has given the same warning, the Australian reported.

The government is set to write off $13bn in so-called “zombie” savings measures – including making young jobseekers wait four weeks for the dole – the report said, citing a senior government source who said ratings agencies would be ­unlikely to accept the blocked measures as genuine savings.

Asked if Labor would support a tax increase to pay for the NDIS, Bill Shorten told ABC radio on Wednesday increases were not necessary. Shorten said the NDIS was fully funded in 2013 because Labor had planned to increase the Medicare levy and make other savings.

“What they first said for this current omnibus bill ... was [it] was necessary to help reform childcare – then we’ve exposed that 1.5m Australians will have reductions in family payments,” he said. “This week they’ve tied [the bill] to the future of the NDIS, they’ve taken the future of the NDIS hostage on the basis it won’t be properly supported unless these cuts go through.”
Live Bill Shorten urges Coalition to ditch company tax cuts instead of 'threatening' voters – question time live
As Labor, Greens and majority of Senate crossbench rule out passing omnibus savings bill, Mathias Cormann warns the government will have to raise taxes
Read more

Shorten said the threatened tax increase was the latest tactic to pass the omnibus welfare bill while the government continued to treat its “unaffordable tax giveaway to big business” as “sacred”. He said the government had a choice between taking from families earning $60,000 to $70,000 and its $48bn company tax cut plan, which was a “no-brainer” for him.

The opposition leader was also asked about the fact that one of the architects of the Gonski report on needs-based education funding, Ken Boston, has said that additional funding is not the key to improving education.

In a speech on Tuesday, Boston said the Gonski report’s “most critical recommendations were about redistribution of existing funding”.

“The way money is distributed is important but overall education needs more funding,” Shorten replied. “The people who most typically say that you don’t need more resources in schools, that money’s not the answer, are people for whom money is not a problem.”

Cool, raise the corporate tax cut

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

tithin posted:

Cool, raise the corporate tax cut

yeah, pretty hollow words from hollow men.

"Uh, ignoring the big tax cut we just implemented, but we need to raise taxes to pay for services - duh!"

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Why can't we have higher corporate and personal taxes?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quote:

“then of course tax increases become the only option”.

Glad to hear the government finally conceding it may be time to ramp down the tax incentives given to housing speculators.

Oh wait, no, they mean the taxes that won't hurt them.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If they do raise taxes it'll be the GST or something at least as regressive.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

open24hours posted:

If they do raise taxes it'll be the GST or something at least as regressive.

Requires way too much negotiation, they're still scared from the last time the idea was floated.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Remember the story about the government MP who ran a Gloria Jeans Franchise, complaining about how high penalty rates were for weekends and that she could only afford to stay open if she got family to come in and work for nothing?

The store owner reportedly refused to extend their lease.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Liberal party will raise taxes and accept all the backlash so that the next government can have those sweet tax dollareedoos?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The Liberal party will raise taxes and accept all the backlash so that the next government can have those sweet tax dollareedoos?

They're just laying the groundwork to be able to blame Labor for tax increases despite the fact they will have been out of power for half a decade.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I propose a new tax bracket.

People earning between $0-18,000 will now pay 70% of their income and/or welfare payments as tax. Failure to comply will result in a 5 year term in a job creation creation facility where they will build state of the art green energy renewable coal power stations. These high quality public assets will then be sold to the richest people in the country for $1 - this will ensure their ongoing efficient operations and maximise the public benefit they yield.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I think we should have a new gst that only corporations have to pay.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
A Guillotine and Severance Tax. Pay the Tax or take the hacks. Only rich riff raff need apply.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Cartoon posted:

A Guillotine and Severance Tax. Pay the Tax or take the hacks. Only rich riff raff need apply.

Next time you have libs talking at you about "personal responsibility" and "self-reliance" thank them in finding common ground about a 99% inheritance tax.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Galaxy 15/02 posted:

We’ve also had federal voting intention results from the weekend’s Queensland poll by Galaxy for the Courier-Mail, which has One Nation on 18% (up six since November), the Coalition on 35% (down four), Labor on 29% (down one) and the Greens on 8% (steady), with the Coalition down a point on two-party preferred to lead 51-49. The poll was conducted last Wednesday and Thursday from a sample of 867.

*wipes sweat*

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

ewe2 posted:

He's tried the double dissolution tactic, it nearly failed and the triumph of getting the ABCC bill through was rather muted due to all the caveats. Meanwhile there is an absolute mountain of failed legislation and seemingly no more ideas from the brains trust and another two years of term. It's looking really dire.

QFT.

There's no big picture here. Even the poo poo they're trying to push through is a half-hearted sell of the LNP/IPA Greatest Hits. Revoke this. Reinstate that. Rewind to the Glorious Howard Epoch. Where the gently caress do they see this country in 10 years?

The answer of course is that it's not important as long as they're in charge.

I can't see any change on the horizon, now that the role of the PM has been effectively neutered by the hollowmen. Rudd was the last one to be given carte-blanche and I can't see either party machinery being keen to return to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it's almost sad how pathetic the turnbull government has been

what is his vision? what is his message? even abbott managed to vomit out "stop the boats" and "axe the tax". turnbull can't even manage pithy slogans, let alone big landmarks like the apology or the NBN or the NDIS. the greatest achievement of turnbull's prime ministership is reinstating a construction industry workplace relations watchdog. completely worthless.

• Locked thread