Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Maybe Gumi is right and trust moogles are the most broken thing in the history of the world. That explains why even a 5% trust moogle has to be locked behind some really insane bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Armitage posted:

Maybe Gumi is right and trust moogles are the most broken thing in the history of the world. That explains why even a 5% trust moogle has to be locked behind some really insane bullshit.

They would be, if macro TM farming was a bannable offense.

Because Dual Wield is the most broken thing in the history of the world.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

KataraniSword posted:

They would be, if macro TM farming was a bannable offense.

Because Dual Wield is the most broken thing in the history of the world.

Is it though? How much of the content would be anywhere near as beatable as it is if we didn't have such easy access to dual wield?

What I'm saying is that it's closer to being mandatory than it is OP.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nuebot posted:

Is it though? How much of the content would be anywhere near as beatable as it is if we didn't have such easy access to dual wield?

What I'm saying is that it's closer to being mandatory than it is OP.

It is both. Can you imagine the game if it was as Gumi imagined it? You'd have to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get some of our decent units outfitted. Like, you'd need to pull 21 Noctis for his ring. Think about that.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Just a psa that all current content is still beatable with no TMs or 5 star bases.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

McSpankWich posted:

Just a psa that all current content is still beatable with no TMs or 5 star bases.

*Story content that does not, as a general rule, contain best in slot rewards, leveling/awakening/esper materials, or trust moogles.

So yes, if you want to just finish the story and don't care about anything outside of story mode you technically don't need 5 star units or trust mastery rewards.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think someone recently beat Antenolla with FP units.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

WebDO posted:

*Story content that does not, as a general rule, contain best in slot rewards, leveling/awakening/esper materials, or trust moogles.

So yes, if you want to just finish the story and don't care about anything outside of story mode you technically don't need 5 star units or trust mastery rewards.

Um, I ran through ELT Love Trials and Mana Mystery with 1 TMR (Double Hand) and no 5 star bases. I've beaten all the trails except March of the Beasts. You can literally do anything in this game with a decent team and a buff whale friend, of which there seem to be a solid supply. TMRs and 5 Stars are fun but nowhere necessary.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

even the "totally f2p" guide for beating elite on this event which is extremely close to f2p still used a dualcast refia. base 5* aren't technically required for anything but i'd be surprised if you could beat elite on this event without a base 5* or a dualcast refia.

i do think for reasons such as that, that something like the survival edge was very underrated initially. out of the stat checks you have to pass the hit point one is the least flexible

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

CyberLord XP posted:

You can literally do anything in this game with a decent team and a buff whale friend.

It's almost like you're saying a five star base and TMs are mandatory to do anything challenging outside of story mode

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

WebDO posted:

It's almost like you're saying a five star base and TMs are mandatory to do anything challenging outside of story mode

You're making it sound like it's hard to have 5 stars on your friends list and it's not. :shrug:

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I will use RAIDEN OF MIST, 4 other mooks, and a loving stacked Noctis Whale and Ill do this things

These events at least are varied, kinda, sorta?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
There were parts of this game I fundamentally could not beat until I had a solid non-TMR team of 5* and 6* characters. I was stuck on Veritas of the wind (no companion city fight) for WEEKS until I got full break.

Cloud of Darkness
Vaan (now Rain)
Charlotte
Exdeath
Lenna

That balanced group has gotten me through all the story and is my initial exploratory learning group because of the balance it provides for me, and the coverage I get with it. All elements, ok damage, some bar spellers, several that can clear status effects. That said, I am not impressed with some facets of it. Decent enough though for putting $0 into this game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Somebody paid money to have this commissioned.

Still a better investment than spending money till you end up with 5 Noctis.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I know this is a stupid thing to complain about but I'm going to do it anyway, how the gently caress have I rolled five 5* units but no Zidanes, Lightnings, Luneths, or Gilgameshes. I feel like the game doesn't even start until you get your first DW. Before then every battle is your party of five idiots jerking off until your DW friend kills everything.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Somebody paid money to have this commissioned.

Still a better investment than spending money till you end up with 5 Noctis.

Well, sure. More Art > Less Art. Regardless of content.

And it brings a smile to my face to see people super enthusiastic about drat near anything, even silly games like THE ONE WE ARE ALL POSTING ON A FORUM ABOUT.

So, go them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CyberLord XP posted:

Um, I ran through ELT Love Trials and Mana Mystery with 1 TMR (Double Hand) and no 5 star bases. I've beaten all the trails except March of the Beasts. You can literally do anything in this game with a decent team and a buff whale friend, of which there seem to be a solid supply. TMRs and 5 Stars are fun but nowhere necessary.

But were you using an 800+ noctis friend? Because a lot of people forget that one. Half the "F2P NO TM!!!!" guides for the event basically boiled down to "get a high level noctis, use your dual cast refia and level 100 cecil". I still can't get past the second boss of the drat thing because I just don't have the damage to do it, not even if I use a high level noctis.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

aherdofpenguins posted:

I know this is a stupid thing to complain about but I'm going to do it anyway, how the gently caress have I rolled five 5* units but no Zidanes, Lightnings, Luneths, or Gilgameshes. I feel like the game doesn't even start until you get your first DW. Before then every battle is your party of five idiots jerking off until your DW friend kills everything.

drat, that is pretty rough. I have DWs and it's honestly not that different because my units suck rear end without any 5* bases. My party of 5 acts as fluffers for friend Noctises. Units are useless without TMRs, TMRs are useless without units, time is a flat circle.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'd trade 3 of the 6 Zidanes I've rolled for one CoD.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

KDdidit posted:

i have three spare cods, deal

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Nuebot posted:

But were you using an 800+ noctis friend? Because a lot of people forget that one. Half the "F2P NO TM!!!!" guides for the event basically boiled down to "get a high level noctis, use your dual cast refia and level 100 cecil". I still can't get past the second boss of the drat thing because I just don't have the damage to do it, not even if I use a high level noctis.

Also the level 100 Cecil has a maxed LB or close to it.

I decided to bring Exdeath along. I actually made progress due to Imperil. I didn't use him because of Abraxas and his thing with magic spells. I did get to the dumb dragon and got him down halfway.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Does Wicked Light count as magic for Abraxas? Keep hearing to use that over everything else.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nuebot posted:

I feel like it might be doable without DC if you're better at having resistances up (and get lucky with the deaths) but yeah, this might be the biggest wall since Maxwell.

Unfortunately every gacha game lands on this "you CAN do it f2p you just need this specific shell and a good friend/top unit you should've rerolled for".

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

turnways posted:

Does Wicked Light count as magic for Abraxas? Keep hearing to use that over everything else.

I'd think it does.

Tried another run, and I still am not sure why Omniviel is recommended. I don't really see the RESIST thing pop up and eat just as much damage even if I didn't have it up. If I had a better elemental damage mitigation I may be able to pull this off after all.

I may have to start using the Bar-ras instead.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

dangerous.hotdog posted:

drat, that is pretty rough. I have DWs and it's honestly not that different because my units suck rear end without any 5* bases. My party of 5 acts as fluffers for friend Noctises. Units are useless without TMRs, TMRs are useless without units, time is a flat circle.

That sucks too :( I feel like with Mercedes, CoD, Chizuru and the new V-day Artemios you can kinda sorta do stuff with physical units now? I dunno how good they are kitted out completely...

turnways posted:

I'd bet not. It can't be double casted with anything, neither the TM dual cast nor innate bm dual cast, so I'm 99% sure it's considered a skill.

aherdofpenguins fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 15, 2017

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Well, after a butt load of S/Ls to make sure characters didn't die in earlier fights, and early on in the Abraxas fight, Abraxas finally fell.

I had to defend a few guys when he was halfway dead so CoD can do the Comeback thing. I dunno how Lenna and Mrit's Noctis survived the second round of Release, but after Lenna used a Remedy, Noctis finished him off.

Yeah I think it's time to TM farm and get my own Noctis up to snuff.

EDIT: Oh yeah Exdeath's Light attack is not magic, so imperil Abraxas and go to town.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 15, 2017

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
People must be getting bored with arena because I'm slacking a bit myself, but my rank is higher with me doing less of it.

If for some insane reason the arena limitation is only generic story characters I'm set as I maxxed them all with event moogles because I had nothing better to use them on.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Dias posted:

I feel like it might be doable without DC if you're better at having resistances up (and get lucky with the deaths) but yeah, this might be the biggest wall since Maxwell.

Unfortunately every gacha game lands on this "you CAN do it f2p you just need this specific shell and a good friend/top unit you should've rerolled for".
This is what drove me nuts about FFRK, everyone said it's soooo generous and so much better than those other gacha games, but those people already had shouts and walls and so on from accumulated events. It took me 6 months to finally get those, and only now do I feel it's fair and steamroll everything not Elite++.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dias posted:

Most games, at least the ones I've played, don't hide poo poo like attack +15% behind that super hard pro-tier though. Like, I wouldn't give a poo poo if the reward was just a moogle, even if it was a +10% moogle or some extra lapis.

Like, usually when an event rolls around in a game like PAD the main thing you get out of it is a new unit (which Exvius doesn't really do) and each difficulty has a lovely drop rate with the stupidly hard whale tier just having a flat 100% drop rate for the best version of the unit which saves the people with top tier teams a grind.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Zoldaad part final better be next week with there being a chamber of crystals event starting Friday together with the FF2 event. (Not the Shine having banner one, just Guy Emp Leon)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 15, 2017

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Ah gently caress I didnt realize ELT cant be early exited

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
What the hell happened to Guy's face

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

You know, this is an incredibly minor thing to get pissy about, but usually when you're identifying special attacks, you use Capital Letters since it's technically a proper name.

This just reads like highschool fan FAQ.

(:goonsay:)

Shoenin posted:

What the hell happened to Guy's face

Beavers, man.

EDIT: Also, RIP anyone who just spent 50k elf cum on the Mana event axe, here's one almost as good, no grinding required.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 15, 2017

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

From Reddit:

:siren: Mateus's Malice either buffed from 109 to 129 MAG or typoed. :siren:

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

KataraniSword posted:

EDIT: Also, RIP anyone who just spent 50k elf cum on the Mana event axe, here's one almost as good, no grinding required.

Not sure if I'd rather have the +15 Spirit or 15% HP on my Cecil.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Why RIP when I can just have Mercedes dual wield two good axes now without needing to get her TM? She's definitely gonna be my #2 damage dealer once my Gilgamesh finishes cooking.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)

HGH posted:

Why RIP when I can just have Mercedes dual wield two good axes now without needing to get her TM? She's definitely gonna be my #1 damage dealer.

Fixed for me

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Gigant Axe from FF2's event makes me glad I didn't grind out 50k candy.

HGH posted:

This is what drove me nuts about FFRK, everyone said it's soooo generous and so much better than those other gacha games, but those people already had shouts and walls and so on from accumulated events. It took me 6 months to finally get those, and only now do I feel it's fair and steamroll everything not Elite++.

FFRK's harder content is drat near unplayable in without good relics either. Sure, you can use a RW to help cover one of the things you're missing but unless you've honed skills to hell and back you're not going to clear ult or harder content without stupid amounts of luck or finding a gimmick to exploit. If FFRK didn't give out daily mithril the game would be a ghost town because most people would have few, if any, of the vital relics. Or the game's design would be fundamentally different to make up for the lack of gear that non-whales would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

KDdidit posted:

I just pulled a 4* CoD 5 minutes ago from the half price.

It is my 2nd. I'm not sure to smoosh or just keep her.

Will the FF2 characters have bonus up on the Dreadnaught?

• Locked thread