Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I am not worried about burning out for 3.0 anymore because everything revealed is amazing so far and way more than I ever expected.

2.6 is looking to be a blast, and I am so hyped for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

:vince:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

TheRat posted:

Nemesis gives the best uniques, while domination + beyond + breach gives the best xp/loot/maps/awesomeness

Why Domination? I don't remember shrines being all that. I'm excited to Beyond/Breach/Perandus, personally! But I'll try tons.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

pork never goes bad posted:

Why Domination? I don't remember shrines being all that. I'm excited to Beyond/Breach/Perandus, personally! But I'll try tons.

Domination gives a ton of extra monsters. It might not be the best anymore, but a year or two ago domination was absolutely top tier for map sustain.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
I was looking for a post where they specifically said "We have something game-changing planned for difficulties" when they started talking about Act 5, but lol: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1743790

A bunch of loving trolls posted:

Next year's 3.0.0 expansion introduces Path of Exile's fifth act. Without any changes to the game's structure, the core game would consist of fifteen acts to play through across three difficulty levels before you arrive at the end-game. Clearly, this is too much and would push the end-game out too far.

We want to confirm that our plan for 3.0.0 reduces the core game to ten total acts before the end-game. Changes of this nature dramatically alter the levels that maps and other systems start at, so we need Act Five to keep character progression relatively similar.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

i'm just gonna play something super tanky and do Breach / Perandus / Beyond until my computer likely eats itself to escape

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I knew the next act would be rampaging through oriath the place that exiled you, but I'm impressed they managed to keep the full 10 acts a secret this long.

I knew they were capable of pumping it out after how many different and pretty looking maps they made for the atlas.

Also happy to see it will be revisiting former areas but changed into something different, here is hoping for that gruest boss fight.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 15, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wow I knew this thing was pretty hype but the announcement post on reddit jumping straight to #1 on r/all is kind of impressive.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

:vince:

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
This could have leaked at any time and I wouldn't have believed it. Holy poo poo.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah this is pretty awesome news.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
4 notes:

1) I should have expected something was up with the sheer diversity of zones post-Atlas, they were all previews of 3.0. I was mentally stuck in the paradigm of 1 act every few years. Way to manage expectations hahaha.

2) I've always felt that the peak of PoE storytelling was at Forsaken Masters, afterwards, everything has made less and less sense over time. Especially considering the disjointed nature of Act 4, acting as the Greatest Hits of the purity rebellion. Maybe this full act structure will smooth everything out. I hope their voice acting is up to scratch, this kind of stuff needs to be done properly, in one go. Considering the original Zana VA has disappeared, you don't really get do-overs.

3) Darn, I was hoping we'd explore to the far north and west and east of Wraeclast. I wanted to go into the heartlands of the other tribes, see how they struggled after the second Cataclysm. Maybe they'll be seen in further expansions?

4) I had never believed in the existence of the gods. At least in-game. I was too focused on the core assumption that the Beast was the source of all thaumaturgy, and we exiles were merely tapping into a portion of its power. The core theme was that there were no gods, only man, and we do with power as we may. Like any good atheist, I ignored the existence of the Beyond and the Breach, assuming they were merely men who had tapped into the power of the Beast. I ignored Lady Justice, mere figments of the power of the Beast. I ignored the Karui gods, assuming they were ignorant savages. I focused merely on the power that lay ahead of me. And now they appear, beings of unknown heritage, calling themselves gods. What do I do now?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Phobophilia posted:

What do I do now?

Pray.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

2) I've always felt that the peak of PoE storytelling was at Forsaken Masters, afterwards, everything has made less and less sense over time. Especially considering the disjointed nature of Act 4, acting as the Greatest Hits of the purity rebellion. Maybe this full act structure will smooth everything out. I hope their voice acting is up to scratch, this kind of stuff needs to be done properly, in one go. Considering the original Zana VA has disappeared, you don't really get do-overs.

I hope they're taking the opportunity to sort out act 4 a bit. If Shavronne is getting an actual zone in act 6 then maybe she has something better to do than stand in the middle of an empty circular room in act 4.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Phobophilia posted:

What do I do now?

kill all the gods and turn wraeclast into the godless domain you imagined

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

4) I had never believed in the existence of the gods. At least in-game. I was too focused on the core assumption that the Beast was the source of all thaumaturgy, and we exiles were merely tapping into a portion of its power. The core theme was that there were no gods, only man, and we do with power as we may. Like any good atheist, I ignored the existence of the Beyond and the Breach, assuming they were merely men who had tapped into the power of the Beast. I ignored Lady Justice, mere figments of the power of the Beast. I ignored the Karui gods, assuming they were ignorant savages. I focused merely on the power that lay ahead of me. And now they appear, beings of unknown heritage, calling themselves gods. What do I do now?

The gods thing is interesting given that the heads of GGG are Magic players. It's actually been cool to see Brian Weissman more active online now, because he was one of the original founders who is barely ever really mentioned, and he was one of the first ever successful players on the Magic Pro Tour.

In the Zendikar world (first Zendikar set released Fall 2009), the world has all kinds of crazy magical poo poo going on in the land itself, and the inhabitants of the world worship 3 gods named Ula, Cosi, and Emeria. By the time we get to the 3rd set in that block, we find out that the reason the land is magical is that there are 3 eldritch abominations called the Eldrazi trapped inside of the world and they end up being released (3rd set is called Rise of the Eldrazi). The names of the big 3 Eldrazi titans are Ulamog, Kozilek, and Emrakul. The idea is that they were trapped thousands of years ago and the inhabitants know they exist and are super powerful beings, but have forgotten they were horrible cthulhu monsters and wanted to destroy everything, so they ended up being worshipped as gods. I'm guessing this is what happened with the gods in PoE.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ultima66 posted:

The gods thing is interesting given that the heads of GGG are Magic players. It's actually been cool to see Brian Weissman more active online now, because he was one of the original founders who is barely ever really mentioned, and he was one of the first ever successful players on the Magic Pro Tour.

In the Zendikar world (first Zendikar set released Fall 2009), the world has all kinds of crazy magical poo poo going on in the land itself, and the inhabitants of the world worship 3 gods named Ula, Cosi, and Emeria. By the time we get to the 3rd set in that block, we find out that the reason the land is magical is that there are 3 eldritch abominations called the Eldrazi trapped inside of the world and they end up being released (3rd set is called Rise of the Eldrazi). The names of the big 3 Eldrazi titans are Ulamog, Kozilek, and Emrakul. The idea is that they were trapped thousands of years ago and the inhabitants know they exist and are super powerful beings, but have forgotten they were horrible cthulhu monsters and wanted to destroy everything, so they ended up being worshipped as gods. I'm guessing this is what happened with the gods in PoE.

In that case, the story of the Vaal would be interesting. They, or perhaps even their predecessors, were the ones who originally suppressed the godlike beings. But over time, their knowledge was degraded, and all of it was forgotten in the time of the Eternals.

Interestingly enough, the Vaal and the Eternals fell in the same manner. Decadence, inequality, slavery, greed. In that case, it's hilarious how fast Oriath fell, merely a century or two for one tiny island to repeat the mistakes of their ancestors.

In a sense, we may be repeating the actions of the first Emperor Veruso, driving away the second Cataclysm, reclaiming the tainted land, fully willing to take personal responsibility for power instead of forcefully implanting it into slaves and vassals. We are not Vaal, nor Eternal, nor Oriath.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Joust posted:

This could have leaked at any time and I wouldn't have believed it. Holy poo poo.

The best part is they put quite a few hints out there, and people assumed they were jokes.

*Prey. :black101:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Just making a post showing appreciation for how much effort GGG put into designing the world of Wraeclast. Take a look at this map of Wraeclast:

And then look at where the map intersects with this map showing Act 1 vs Act 6.

At first I was looking at these maps, just appreciating how you can actually tell where you go through these zones and how they all fit together. And the little details like how the Ledge is actually on the coast with the mountains on the other side, and that is visually what the zone looks like. When I first saw this Act 1/6 map I thought "hey, so we're going out into the ocean to fight the crab boss." Then I tried to map it to the bigger map of Wraeclast, and realized there's a big mass of land where it shows the boss zone is, but in Act 6 it's clearly in the ocean.

Then after starting back and forth at it for a while, it finally hit me. The circle around the crab boss's zone is actually where the boss sunk the entire land mass, and it's now entirely under the ocean. I really love the little details like this.

As an aside, we have barely explored Wraeclast. It looks like a solid 2/3rds of the world hasn't been touched on at all, including the plains that cover as much land as the entire game has so far, and the Ezomyr and Maraketh capitals.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I just started playing a few weeks ago and now I find out next league I can go through all the old poo poo that I've never/only half seen and then there's a huge expansion coming???

gently caress, I'm not sure if I picked the worst or best time to get into this game.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Every day is the best day to get into PoE.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Cinara posted:

Every day is the best day to get into PoE.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Gitro posted:

I just started playing a few weeks ago and now I find out next league I can go through all the old poo poo that I've never/only half seen and then there's a huge expansion coming???

gently caress, I'm not sure if I picked the worst or best time to get into this game.

Best, by far. Legacy followed by 3.0

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
They really should call the next league 'Victory Lap'. This game loving owns bones.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Strangely all the announcements and hype have me wanting to jump back in for some more Breach. Still haven't killed the Shaper, that bastard.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Jesus Christ, six new acts? getting rid of Merciless & cruel difficulties?

What a surprise

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Posting to confirm that this expansion and Legacy look both cool + good.

Legacy best mtg format, legacy best poe league?? Maybe more devs should call things 'Legacy'

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
I've never been so impressed with a gaming company as I have been with GGG. Ever since the beta they've figured out clever ways to solve balance problems and put out new content like clockwork without compromising their overall vision.

It must have been hard for them to bite their tounges after Reddit freaked out about the XBox announcement, knowing what they had coming in the future. Really hope this helps PoE blow up in popularity, personally my favourite part of the trailer was BONE WHEELS and that caged skeleton mass pulled from Bloodborne

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So when can I buy a supporter pack

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

im gonna have to get a big dick one for 3.0 so they are gonna need to put out something juicy in the 2.6 ones to get more cash

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

tithin posted:

So when can I buy a supporter pack

They're saying Thursday is when 2.6 news drops

My only other question is: what about all that fucky m poo poo they were doing?

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Do Supporter Packs go on sale?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Jinnigan posted:

My only other question is: what about all that fucky m poo poo they were doing?

From what little I can gather is it's people bitching about bad microtransactions being released, like they're a money grubbing piece of poo poo company. From the context I've seen it, it's the same kind of morons who do Micro$oft or Bli$$ard. Maybe I'm off base since I never found where it started.

jerichojx posted:

Do Supporter Packs go on sale?

No they don't get discounted, they just get removed and a new one comes in. But you get nearly full point value out of them, and something is on sale every day that you can then use to get even more value out of your supporter pack.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Really thinking about the Phoenix one because it looks baller as gently caress

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
this poo poo is bonkers guys

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Man poe rules

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jerichojx posted:

Really thinking about the Phoenix one because it looks baller as gently caress
There ought to be new oligarch support packs for 3.0, just in case.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
There has better be a Wheel Skeleton pet MTX or GGG shouldn't even bother releasing 3.0

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
On the topic of Gods being introduced into the lore, ZiggyD mentioned in his video on Act 6 that the Beast was actually consuming the Gods' power somehow, and that by slaying the Beast we allow them to regain their powers.

edit: Wild theory - The Beast is actually Doryani, hosed up by the original Cataclysm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What god do the Oriathans worship? They seem to be monotheistic

• Locked thread