Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ImplicitAssembler posted:

A lot of that was plan old bandwagon jumping. A couple of crappy seasons and all the Blue Jays caps will disappear again here in Vancouver :).
Similarly, there's been a disturbing outbreak of Oilers jerseys this year.

I agree, but I think it took off to the extent it did because you could sign up for MLB TV and watch the games for a nominal fee. I think a lot of people probably wouldn't have given a gently caress about the regular season last year if not for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Idk about the Jays specifically but pretty much everyone who's ever looked into blackouts has determined they actually hurt attendance.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Spa was still on the long circuit in 1970. They moved it to a really lovely circuit in Nivelles in 1972.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Never thought I'd say this, but I'm jealous of Kvyat on more than one level.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Alain Post posted:

Spa was still on the long circuit in 1970. They moved it to a really lovely circuit in Nivelles in 1972.

I'm watching that 72 Belgian track now and it's reminding me of the Russian GP but with more grass. You are quite correct, my bad, they just didn't have cameras set up all over the track, presumably because they were expecting people to die and didn't want to film the really dangerous parts. 1970 really did mark the end of the bad approach to circuit safety, before 71 it was like they were actively trying to murder the drivers. Jackie "back in my day..." Stewart got Spa shut down, he was absolutely right to insist that they installed armco and remove stuff that would literally decapitate drivers, but he should probably shut the gently caress up about modern drivers needing to "man up, back in my day.."

E: what's interesting watching from 70-74 is that you can really see the massive leaps forward in speed as they figure out what aerodynamics are and how to use air to cool the engines. What makes 70 so scary is that they are simply going too fast for the tracks and there are people watching 12 inches away from the cars with hay bales and freaking chicken wire barriers. Edit again: I'm putting it on dailymotion but it will upload while I sleep, no death footage in this one.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 15, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

No it was nerfed by then. This was the worst one that year with hay bails and special on track rocks:

"Formula One then went to the 5.1 mile Charade circuit, made up entirely of closed-off public roads located around an extinct volcano overlooking the small city of Clermont-Ferrand. Practice and qualifying were both eventful – in addition to Ferrari showing improved form by Jacky Ickx taking pole, the circuit was littered with rocks and Rindt – already made nauseous by the twisty and roller-coaster-type nature of the circuit – was hit in the face by a rock thrown from another car – in those days, drivers wore open-face helmets covered by a white rag to protect them from the gas fumes. Ickx took the lead from the start, but he retired with engine damage, and Frenchman Beltoise – driving an all-French Matra – was in the lead. However, due to the rocks on the track, Beltoise punctured a tire, and had to come in. This gave Rindt the lead, ahead of Chris Amon. Rindt won from Amon and Brabham."

The good old days of F1. :stonklol:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

1500quidporsche posted:

It's like $200 Canadian. It's mildly annoying because I'll probably get more viewing time out of spring training on the MLB app alone than I will the whole season of MotoGP if I buy it.

I dunno if they've sorted it but when I got it for the off season I ran into issues with the multi cam views too. You need a pretty high end system and internet connection apparently or it doesn't work right. Mine was never synced correctly and sometimes the audio would come in on more than one feed so you'd get an echo from em. But the single cam stuff is fine and you get access to the tests and interviews/videos during the season that passholders don't get.

The commentary isn't the best but what are ya gonna do. They're bringing in some fresh blood but you still have Nick Harris doing his classic commentary. Saying the same thing every race, misreading the situation and missing on screen action.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 15, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Imola '82 is a real good race, despite having a severely depleted field.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Link to the FIA 1970 season review (gently caress youtube)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5bw5fs

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

GramCracker posted:

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm jealous of Kvyat on more than one level.
Is he dating Piquet's daughter or something? But surely that's only one level on which to be jealous

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is he dating Piquet's daughter or something? But surely that's only one level on which to be jealous

I guess finishing last isn't so bad if you're finishing in Kelly Piquet :grin:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

nsaP posted:

I dunno if they've sorted it but when I got it for the off season I ran into issues with the multi cam views too. You need a pretty high end system and internet connection apparently or it doesn't work right. Mine was never synced correctly and sometimes the audio would come in on more than one feed so you'd get an echo from em. But the single cam stuff is fine and you get access to the tests and interviews/videos during the season that passholders don't get.

The commentary isn't the best but what are ya gonna do. They're bringing in some fresh blood but you still have Nick Harris doing his classic commentary. Saying the same thing every race, misreading the situation and missing on screen action.

I didn't get multicam last year but to be able to have a legal English stream on computer or mobile is worth it to me. It also helps that now MotoGP and F1 are my Sunday nights instead of bird-fart am Sunday early, and thanks to living on the west coast for so long I'm used to having results spoiled (or how to avoid finding that out). luckily I don't care about the NFL, because that's done every Monday before I'm even awake. And yeah the NBA pass overseas is good too, I can't remember what I paid but it was less than $200 for the season (because overseas), no blackouts, and all I needed to do was get a burner non-American App Store account working to get mobile apps as well.

please god let the new cars be decent otherwise we're gonna have another month of this chat.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

I have almost Ron Dennis levels of confidence that I would absolutely finish first in that scenario.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Formula 1: Euro MPs back call for inquiry into 'anti-competitive' sport

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38971214

Bernie got out just in time, the genius

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Looks like the Brexiters were right.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Exactly, and he gets to drive F1 cars.

1500quidporsche posted:

I have almost Ron Dennis levels of confidence that I would absolutely finish first in that scenario.

But also, definitely this too.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Liberty will just say "yeah, we agree, isn't it good now Bernie's gone and everything is fixed"

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
....I legitimately thing Kimi might be retarded

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQgXrTih27C/?taken-by=wtf1official

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

or, he gets to do what he loves and greatly appreciates the man who lets him do it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Why not both

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Formula 1: Euro MPs back call for inquiry into 'anti-competitive' sport

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38971214

Bernie got out just in time, the genius

More like they were waiting for Bernie to not be there anymore before they did this. They have had 40 years to investigate this and choose now because.....

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
...Bernie paid them to bury it and now he's paid them to dig it up.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Euro MPs won't have any teeth now that the ownership isn't European. Bigly! Bing bing bong!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Theophany posted:

I like to imagine she goes around grabbing people's dicks just like her dad

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

I like to imagine she goes around grabbing people's dicks just like her dad

It's in the family genes to be top of the line F1 Dick Grabbers.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, for the Montreal GP, where is the best place to watch it? Wife just offered to pay for the ticket. The Main Straight is probably too expensive..

https://tickets.formula1.com/en/3215-canada-fom/?pgs=1&gclid=CJzn2eOQk9ICFUSXfgodT_IKkw

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So, for the Montreal GP, where is the best place to watch it? Wife just offered to pay for the ticket. The Main Straight is probably too expensive..

https://tickets.formula1.com/en/3215-canada-fom/?pgs=1&gclid=CJzn2eOQk9ICFUSXfgodT_IKkw

Grandstands 11 or 12 will be pretty good. I'll be in grandstand 11 again this year.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I'd travel up from NYC for that, seems pretty reasonably priced. How are hotels and what not in that area during the GP weekend?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

GramCracker posted:

I'd travel up from NYC for that, seems pretty reasonably priced. How are hotels and what not in that area during the GP weekend?

If you're from NYC, they'll probably be reasonable (and BIG! BIG BIG ROOMS)
:D

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

learnincurve posted:

Link to the FIA 1970 season review (gently caress youtube)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5bw5fs

This was great and most of those cars are really good looking. I really liked the McLaren, BRM and Ferrari. They should have novelty oversized rear tires like that again.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
James Allison off to Mercedes is official:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-confirms-allison-as-technical-director-874135/

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Did Ferrari seriously just announce a car named the "Superfast"?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Well they did make one called TheFerrari

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Did Ferrari seriously just announce a car named the "Superfast"?

Surely not from the company that brought us the Ferrari The Ferrari

e: damnit, left the tab open too long.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The next california is going to be called the "not quite as fast, but still pretty quick"

The next f-1 car is going to be the "we'll complain until it's fast"

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Powershift posted:

The next california is going to be called the "not quite as fast, but still pretty quick"

We lobbied to slow down all other sports car manufacturers and now have the best machine. The La Ferrari California Ferrari

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

I would absolutely love it if a mid/backfield team manages to stumble upon a winning car (like Brawn's), Ferrari/Red Bull/Mercedes complains, and the new owners tell them to shove off and deal with it. :allears:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bold Prediction. Lewis zooms off into the distance while Bottas in a slightly worse car tries to catch him. Red bull will be in third and fourth.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Mercedes 1-2 all year again, calling it now, Bottas won't even be so bold as to crash into Lewis like Our Rossie was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

iospace posted:

the new owners tell them to shove off and deal with it. :allears:

I'd love this. This would be the best thing.

• Locked thread